Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2756575

Subject: "Motorsports 2022" Previous topic | Next topic
Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
15861 posts
Wed Jan-26-22 05:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Motorsports 2022"

It's early, but the speculation about Lewis seems worth bringing up. Is he gonna drive, or has he had enough? Hard to see him going out like that...gotta think he wouldn't mind retiring without another title, but only after—in his mind—a fair fight. Then again, maybe he's just that pissed off.

Either way, F1 testing is 2/23-25, back at Barcelona. Daytona stuff starts 2/20, and they have that weird LA Coliseum thing on 2/6. IndyCar 2/26.

Brand new cars in both F1 and NASCAR. Hilarity should ensue.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Motorsports 2022
Jan 26th 2022
Jan 27th 2022
Jan 27th 2022
Lewis will drive this year. I'm not even worried
Jan 31st 2022
Loving the look of these new spec cars
Feb 26th 2022
Can't be worse, really.
Feb 26th 2022
MotoGP this year is gonna be lit
Feb 27th 2022
My plan is to watch more this season.
Feb 28th 2022
My Moto GP videopass renewal just hit
Feb 28th 2022
      NBCSN in the US, evidently.
Feb 28th 2022
I'm gonna commit to watching a few races this year
Feb 28th 2022
      I hear you...
Feb 28th 2022
Anybody watch the Moto GP opener?
Mar 07th 2022
Yeah.
Mar 07th 2022
Drive to Survive is back.
Mar 12th 2022
So that was interesting.
Mar 19th 2022
RE: So that was interesting.
Mar 19th 2022
      That 3 AM start time ruled me out.
Mar 20th 2022
           Yeah I don't usually watch it live either
Mar 20th 2022
I cackled lol.
Mar 20th 2022
Ho-Lee-Crap! If this is how the racing will be this year, I'm good
Mar 20th 2022
So I think the new ground-effect regs are working pretty well so far.
Mar 20th 2022
Saudi Arabia
Mar 25th 2022
Yeah...I have to compartmentalize in a way I don't like.
Mar 25th 2022
Update: eff this track.
Mar 26th 2022
      RE: Update: eff this track.
Mar 27th 2022
Mar 28th 2022
Mar 28th 2022
Back to Melborne this week. Let's see what happens
Apr 07th 2022
RE: Back to Melborne this week. Let's see what happens
Apr 07th 2022
      It made me want to buy an Aprilia.
Apr 07th 2022
Sort of weird, boring, and ugly.
Apr 10th 2022
RE: Sort of weird, boring, and ugly.
Apr 10th 2022
Yeah, saw the COTA race.
Apr 10th 2022
Tifosi have hope, for sure. But, will Ferrari go and Ferrari?
Apr 11th 2022
      RE: Tifosi have hope, for sure. But, will Ferrari go and Ferrari?
Apr 11th 2022
Imola Sprint Weekend
Apr 22nd 2022
Sprint was fun.
Apr 23rd 2022
      Yeah, it's not fun watching Hamilton right now.
Apr 24th 2022
           Hamilton, and Mercedes, never had a chance this weekend
Apr 25th 2022
           Miller cleaning out Mir was compelling TV.
Apr 25th 2022
                RE: Miller cleaning out Mir was compelling TV.
Apr 25th 2022
Upping this before it drops to Page 2.
May 06th 2022
Afternoon F1 races. Is it 4 this year?
May 06th 2022
Don't really grasp the start times...
May 07th 2022
Guess that was all right.
May 09th 2022
      RE: Guess that was all right.
May 09th 2022
Moto GP Le Mans weekend
May 13th 2022
I know very little, but the program can't be THAT expensive to run.
May 16th 2022
      RE: I know very little, but the program can't be THAT expensive to run.
May 16th 2022
Crippling day for Ferrari.
May 22nd 2022
Welcome to the season Mercedes!
May 22nd 2022
      That snap oversteer the Ferrari was showing is interesting.
May 22nd 2022
           the point has been made that it's got an extremely edgy setup
May 23rd 2022

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1580 posts
Wed Jan-26-22 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Motorsports 2022"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know how to feel about the whole Hamilton thing anymore. I hope he comes back, I want him to win it again. If he doesn't, will it be like a power play, will he ask fans not to watch? I don't know, I might not, I have enough Moto GP Sunday I could use some more to myself. See how things shake out in testing, hope these cars achieve what they're supposed to. The Saudi Arabia race is like the third one in the calendar this year.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Thu Jan-27-22 08:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Motorsports 2022"
In response to Reply # 1

>I don't know how to feel about the whole Hamilton thing
>anymore. I hope he comes back, I want him to win it again. If
>he doesn't, will it be like a power play, will he ask fans not
>to watch?

That would seem pretty out of character for him...maybe when he was younger and less...temperate, I guess, but not now, I don't think. If he does quit, I imagine it'll he'll do it with class. Hope he gives it another year or two though.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Thu Jan-27-22 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Motorsports 2022"
In response to Reply # 2

Fair. I guess it's really about how this whole FIA thing plays out, hopefully they don't find a way to make it worse at least.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10698 posts
Mon Jan-31-22 03:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Lewis will drive this year. I'm not even worried"
In response to Reply # 0

I will say this is the longest I've seen him keep a low profile in public and social media. But I highly doubt this is the way he wants to end his career. He can still get 8 chips and get that last unobtainable record. He can prove it was not just the car as everyone is driving into the unknown with the new regs. And I'm sure he's not going to have any scuttlebutt that Max and Christian sent him out of F1 because he can't hack it.

It may be a media training play to just say nothing, as anything uttered is going to be twisted and misinterpreted. Wait for the official investigation to wind down, refer back to the ruling, and get back on the track. Anything else is just going to stir the pot, which is already toxic AF

I'm kinda amped to see the Coliseum Clash though. Looks like some crazy short track racing

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

spenzalii
10698 posts
Sat Feb-26-22 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Loving the look of these new spec cars"
In response to Reply # 0

Quite a few takes on front wings and side pods. Will be interesting to see whether the racing will actually be close. I'm sure the amount of 'porpoising' will be cleared up by testing in 2 weeks, as I'm sure most teams were trying to see what the limit of their suspension tuning windows are.

Max is funning #1 on the car this year. Haven't seen that in 7 years. Good for them

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Buck
15861 posts
Sat Feb-26-22 03:16 PM

6. "Can't be worse, really."
In response to Reply # 5

>whether the racing will actually be close.

Vertigo
Charter member
1828 posts
Sun Feb-27-22 08:59 PM

7. "MotoGP this year is gonna be lit"
In response to Reply # 0

Marquez is back! For real this time. Also the new Honda looks good... maybe Pol can actually stay on the bike for more than two races this year.

Of course the ducs look incredible, but I've got a feeling they aren't light years ahead of the rest as they seem. I think they have a tenth or two over the comp... which is the case every year... there's always a bike with a hair better engineering the start of each year. That said, pecco looks like this is his year.

Oh and Quartarro is champ and all, so the Yamaha can't be THAT bad. I think their top speed woes are overblown.

My only preseason testing comment is that vinales is fools gold. He'll be fast. He'll win a couple races. But he'll find a way to get grumpy and throw a tantrum. He's got all the talent in the world, but he'll never be a champion.

Buck
15861 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 12:32 PM

8. "My plan is to watch more this season."
In response to Reply # 7

Got the schedule bookmarked and pirate sites all lined up.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 03:48 PM

9. "My Moto GP videopass renewal just hit"
In response to Reply # 8

and yeah, those euros are expensive I used to get a discount in Canada when there was actually no valid way to watch here, but that's changed recently but I'm still not clear who has the rights lol.

The opener this weekend is nice and early, it's usually a good race. I'm annoyed that the next race is on F1's opening weekend. They used to schedule themselves on different weekends more consistently in the past, now it seems like they race on the same weekends more often.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 07:29 PM

11. "NBCSN in the US, evidently."
In response to Reply # 9

I pay for the F1 package, but someone's always got a good NBCSN stream...I'll be availing myself of it this weekend. Been desperate for more racing this winter, even more than usual.

Got Australian relatives, so gonna pull for Miller and Gardner.

spenzalii
10698 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 03:59 PM

10. "I'm gonna commit to watching a few races this year"
In response to Reply # 7

The older I get, I only have bandwidth to follow one racing series at a time, and that's been F1 the last 7 years or so. I've watched quite a bit: Indy, NHRA, GT, Touring Car, but it's depended on how easy it is to watch coverage (not the easiest pre-Speed TV days) and scheduled, racing and mine.

Vertigo
Charter member
1828 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 09:20 PM

12. "I hear you..."
In response to Reply # 10

Once upon a time I watched quite a bit more racing, WSBK, motocross, some F1 and BSB...I pretty much just watch GP and a F1 or WSB race every blue moon.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Mon Mar-07-22 04:03 PM

13. "Anybody watch the Moto GP opener?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty dramatic, and a feel good win, though maybe not the race I or new people would expect.

If you have Amazon Prime, apparently Moto GP has their own little series coming out there soon along the lines of Drive to Survive.

It's kinda funny that last year's Ducati won the race, apparently there were rumours Bagnaia was asking the factory team for last year's engine. Feels like an anything could happen season, depending on who figures their bikes out, and whether Honda really is in form again. Maybe this is why they left F1 lol

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Mon Mar-07-22 06:16 PM

14. "Yeah."
In response to Reply # 13

Gonna take me a while to catch up with all the storylines.

Also need to get a better technical grasp. Obviously the broad areas are the same as any 4-wheel series, like tire pressures and brake balances and such, but while I know a whole lot about how F1 cars are set up, know virtually nothing about bikes.

And the Australians did not fare well...

Buck
15861 posts
Sat Mar-12-22 07:55 AM

15. "Drive to Survive is back."
In response to Reply # 0

Watched the first three last night. I get the feeling Horner wakes up every morning, looks in the mirror, and thinks, "yes, this is the role I was born to play."

And the Mazepins...just glad to be rid of that gangster and his awful, spoiled kid. (And happy that Magnusson is back, now.)

Buck
15861 posts
Sat Mar-19-22 12:01 PM

16. "So that was interesting."
In response to Reply # 0

I just watched an Alfa, a Haas, and an Alpine out-qualify a Merc.

So if you take the fastest time recorded by the teams, you get:

Ferrari (LEC)
RBR (VER)
Merc (HAM)
Alfa (BOT)
Haas (MAG)
Alpine (ALO)
Alpha (GAS)
McLaren (NOR)
Williams (ALB)
Aston (HUL)

If you average the times for each driver, you get:

Ferrari (1'30.623)
RBR (1'30.801)
Merc (1'31.727)
Haas (1'31.903)
Alpine (1.31.989)
McLaren (1'32.477)
Alpha (1'32.544)
Alfa (1'32.552)
Aston (1'32.905)
Williams (1'33.149)

So past the top 3...that's a either hero drive for Bottas, or that's actually the pace of the Alfa, and Zhou just doesn't know what he's doing yet, which is probably true. The Haas must legitimately be that quick, as Schumacher was only 0.2 off Mag's best lap. (And damn...how quick did he get up to speed? Dude was unemployed two weeks ago.)

Makes me think it's no coincidence that Alfa and Haas are both Ferrari-powered...

Aston Martin are nowhere. Some allowance for Vettel being out, but still. Williams must be disappointed, and McLaren...that's just unacceptable.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Sat Mar-19-22 01:44 PM

17. "RE: So that was interesting."
In response to Reply # 16

Bottas being in front of Russell is definitely amusing. Ferrari def seem to have a universally strong engine again, sounds like this Ethanol stuff might have a part in Merc engine dev in comparison. Hamilton sounds worried the top 4 are just going to drive away from them, hopefully the Ferraris give Verstappen a race then. I might join my old university friend in cheering for them!

Moto GP having its second race this weekend too at a brand new circuit. I don't really watch the quali for them, but Quartararo found pole setting pace again after Yamaha looked well off in Qatar. Honda did not seem to like the track and Marquez crashed twice. Pramac Ducati's are still quicker than the factory rider's, but that can change in the race, and the KTM's aren't taking half a season to figure out their bike this time it seems. Hopefully I have a lot of exciting races to watch tomorrow.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Sun Mar-20-22 05:54 PM

20. "That 3 AM start time ruled me out."
In response to Reply # 17

>Moto GP having its second race this weekend too at a brand new
>circuit.

Watched highlights though. That Marquez warm-up crash was nasty.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Sun Mar-20-22 08:22 PM

21. "Yeah I don't usually watch it live either"
In response to Reply # 20

but the Moto GP videopass no spoiler thing is convenient. Start of the Moto GP race got delayed awhile due to the weather. Marquez crashing all weekend is disappointing, he hasn't figured out hot to stop it seems, not that I"m even necessarily rooting for him but he's a big missing piece of the grid.

Happy to see Oliveira win again, been rooting for him since the lower classes. The points situation is interesting, only two races in but it feels like it could stay this crazy. Quartaroro finding that rain pace was impressive for someone whose never had it.

A Thai rider won the Moto 2 GP, first thai rider ever, was nice to see, usually they show up in the wet but he seems like he might have good form from testing after missing the first race.

---------------------
Obviously White

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Sun Mar-20-22 11:58 AM

18. "I cackled lol."
In response to Reply # 0

That's all I will say for now.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10698 posts
Sun Mar-20-22 12:08 PM

19. "Ho-Lee-Crap! If this is how the racing will be this year, I'm good"
In response to Reply # 0

Ferrari strikes first blood. 1-2 finish and first race win since, what, 2019? Congrats. Leclerc has always been fast, but Ferrari has been crap. Apparently, they figured something out with the new regs and that engine is not slow (see K. Mag finishing in the points for Haas). After years of Ferrari not being in the mix, it's nice to see them strike first.

The W13 of Hamilton and Russell still needs work, quite apparently. But quality drives from the two Mercedes drivers saw them benefit from Red Bull's demise. Lewis knows how to capitalize on other driver's mistakes and was in the right place when the RB spun. Would he have caught Perez by the end of the lap if he didn't have the lockup? We'll never know. George had a crap qualifying, but good work making it back to 4th in his first drive with the team. This is the best the team could have hoped for. Once they get the setup and porpoising, they will be a threat again. Keep your heads down boys and get to work. It's a long season.

While I'm trying hard not to root against Red Bull, I cheered so loud when Max's car let him down and Checo's car locked up into Turn 1. Those messages between Max and Christian were great. Horner knew the car was toast and there wasn't anything they could do about it, but he could only tell Max to keep his head down and push through. 3 out of 4 RB drivetrains went out, with Gasley's catching fire. Definitely not the way RB wanted their season to start, but the way I am not mad at all about. Max's post race debrief should be hilarious

Other bits:
- Welcome back K-Mag!Being out for a year to finishing in 5th.
- Bottas in 6th with his first proper stint at Alfa. I hope he has success through the year
- No clue what happened to McLaren. Are those brake issues that serious?
- There were a LOT of Mercedes engined cars at the back of the pack. That can't be good

Buck
15861 posts
Sun Mar-20-22 08:23 PM

22. "So I think the new ground-effect regs are working pretty well so far."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-20-22 08:24 PM by Buck

Looked like it was a lot easier to follow, especially in those early VER/LEC battles. We get that kind of racing all year, I'd call it a success.

Fun race, though I had to watch it on my phone, as F1TV was effing up on the PC browser. Hate that.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Fri Mar-25-22 04:30 PM

23. "Saudi Arabia"
In response to Reply # 0

Getting ahead of this only because there's some fighting going on nearby, and some fire. I don't know how bad it really is but FIA has had to address it and say they've been assured its safe by the country, which isn't actually a nice sign lol. There were talks early on, even in pre-show stuff last weekend, about why we were still going here and this reinforces that even more.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Fri Mar-25-22 11:24 PM

24. "Yeah...I have to compartmentalize in a way I don't like."
In response to Reply # 23

I'd hoped when the Liberty came in, that they'd take a stronger stance on what sort of venues/countries were acceptable, as opposed to Bernie's "we'll race anywhere, as long as the check clears" attitude. That hasn't been the case.

The current situation aside, not sure where you draw the line though. Is China too distasteful? Azerbaijan is pretty repressive too...

Interested to see what the drivers/GPDA says tomorrow. I do trust Alex Wurz to find the smartest way through, if he's involved.

Buck
15861 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 01:03 PM

25. "Update: eff this track."
In response to Reply # 23

Horrible crash.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Sun Mar-27-22 07:25 PM

26. "RE: Update: eff this track."
In response to Reply # 25

ugh the Schumacher one? yeah that wasn't pretty to watch. Something about this whole Jeddah track being such a fast street track just sits weird, they've tried to reference other street tracks in comparison but it doesn't feel the same.

I 'get' why they can't be too picky about countries in one sense. Honestly, going to Texas last year around that whole abortion mess time felt weird, and its not like USA doesn't have its hands in all kinds of conflict. The fact that the oil fire was caused by an missile strike nearby was just too on the nose sign of war regardless of ideology. I can't remember, is China back on the calendar yet? I assume that track would be at some point.

Sunday race was a race. I get that there are signs its good and the battles and following are a good start, but something about the commentary is starting to feel like it's trying to push a narrative lol. Sucks Hamilton got a bit screwed by the pit lane closure, would've salvaged sixth instead, though they obviously still need work. Actually Perez got the most screwed, I would rather see him win

Verstappen sounds like he's still too used to the FIA helping him win on the radio...

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Mon Mar-28-22 01:19 PM

27. "RE: Update: eff this track."
In response to Reply # 26

My main problem with the track as a TV spectator is that it has no sense of place: it's just a long tunnel of high safety fencing, no matter where you are on the track. A lot of that problem is because it's at night, but even still, it's just flat and seemingly featureless. At Monaco and Baku you know exactly where you are on the circuit because you can see the buildings and get a feel for the place. Even Singapore has the bridge and the underpasses...SA is just nothing. It's fast, but so what?

They're definitely pushing a narrative, but on the other hand, there's no doubt in my mind that the racing is better. We'd never see the close following through fast corners like we've seen in the first two, and as Jenson was talking about a lot yesterday, drivers can actually fight back after being passed. Multiple lead swaps in the space of a couple of laps were unheard of in the previous spec. On tracks that actually have multiple lines, like COTA and Silverstone, it should be amazing.

That Latifi crash hurt my soul. Really wanted to see Checo take it.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Mon Mar-28-22 06:45 PM

28. "RE: Update: eff this track."
In response to Reply # 27

You explained the track problems well, I forgot about Singapore, that was a nice night city track. I think Jeddah thought it would be cool to fit in fast flowing stuff in a 'street' circuit, but honestly real city tracks feel cool and unique when they have that 'square' feel to them I think.

Yeah, I hope it keeps improving. I guess part of my frustration is in terms of the front two, and comparing it to Verstappen/Hamilton battles last season its arguable which one was better and I feel like they let Verstappen get away with his crap even more last season now. Oh, and that DRS line thing at the end of Jeddah just seems stupid now, I don't know how to fix it, move the line or something, but I lol'd when they both locked up.

Man Latifi crashing twice this weekend and not "getting" why either time is hilarious. I mean, they seemed like weird crashes, but they both just happened to him. The fact that he messed up Abu Dhabi too is just worse, he might need security again soon before the title is even close to decided lol

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10698 posts
Thu Apr-07-22 12:21 PM

29. "Back to Melborne this week. Let's see what happens"
In response to Reply # 0

Even in 2 weeks, I think Mercedes still has pain, either the works team or anyone with their engines at this point. I do believe Petronas can figure this out. Can they do it in time to mount a comeback? Harder to say, even with their 2nd half track record. They feel like RB was in 2016-2019 - clearly ahead of the midpack, but not challenging for a win unless a ton of things go wrong with the frontrunners. I believe they can get on top of this (this is the team that designed DAS, which was a one off that was barely used after all, and a possible show of arrogance that could be biting them in the ass now, but that's another story), but do it in time? Who knows.

Meanwhile, the Leclerc and Verstappen battle looks to meet the potential that was hinted at years ago. Afla looks semi competent. KMag is back like he never left. Racing is a bit closer, but realistically it's still haves and have nots, so I don't see huge shakeups in podium places after all this.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Thu Apr-07-22 01:24 PM

30. "RE: Back to Melborne this week. Let's see what happens"
In response to Reply # 29

We'll see what the new track changes lead to. Not sure longer straights will be nice for the bouncy card

Haas already out of parts and apparently breaking curfew after a crash. Not sure how that is going to play out.

Moto GP is in Texas this week. Was in Argentina last weekend. Really competitive season, 9 different podium finished in the first three races. 5 different manufacturers in the top 5, Honda/Yamaha bottom of constructors, Europe in top is pretty crazy. The fact that it actually feels like it could stay this way is wild.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Thu Apr-07-22 03:19 PM

31. "It made me want to buy an Aprilia."
In response to Reply # 30

>Moto GP is in Texas this week. Was in Argentina last weekend.
> Really competitive season, 9 different podium finished in the
>first three races. 5 different manufacturers in the top 5,
>Honda/Yamaha bottom of constructors, Europe in top is pretty
>crazy. The fact that it actually feels like it could stay
>this way is wild.

Buck
15861 posts
Sun Apr-10-22 12:33 PM

32. "Sort of weird, boring, and ugly."
In response to Reply # 0

RBR racking up the DNFs ain't gonna win any silverware.

Other than that and a couple of wrecks, not much happened. Had a hard time paying attention. Some decent midfield battles.

LeClerc's title to lose, at this early stage.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Sun Apr-10-22 03:54 PM

33. "RE: Sort of weird, boring, and ugly."
In response to Reply # 32

it was more incredulous laughter from me instead of evil laughter like Bahrain. Ferrari/Leclerc definitely look solid enough right now, unless RB find reliability and clearly superior pace. I'm hoping Mercs find something while having these unexpected opportunities and podiums. Its pretty amusing since Lewis above Verstappen in the standings.

It's getting a big embarassing watching my Canadians in F1! I hear them mention how little passing there was in Australia in the past, obviously haven't been there in a while, hard to say what to do about the track. If anything Turn 3 needs a bit more 'safe space' maybe to inspire passing, it is a passing spot if you're faster but it seems a risky corridor still.

Just finished watching the Motorcycle races, good timing at COTA. Ducati's quite liked the circuit, though Bastianinni on last year's bike, and consistently good late race pace, took his second win of the season. Marquez's race was pretty stunning despite that start problem, he still seems capable of greatness but not consistently enough anymore.

It was a 500th GP anniversary of the modern era organization wise, since 500 ccs, pretty cool highlight video of the past going right now, if it wasn't such a time sink I wish I could watch old seasons again.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Sun Apr-10-22 05:37 PM

34. "Yeah, saw the COTA race."
In response to Reply # 33

Marquez was a man possessed. Didn't hear what his start problem was.

spenzalii
10698 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 12:11 PM

35. "Tifosi have hope, for sure. But, will Ferrari go and Ferrari?"
In response to Reply # 32

This has been a strange set of opening races. Ferrari absolutely has the opening track on the regs, and LeClerc is reminding all he's a damn good driver. Honestly, if Petronas doesn't get right, I'll pull for the red team. They have suffered long enough.

3 races and 3 DNFs isn't a good look for RB. Mind you, I'm laughing all the way to the bank because of their misfortune, but still...reliability concerns are not fun at all. Supposedly none are serious powertrain issues, but none of the issues can be good for the life of the PU no matter how you slice it. Max gets to feel what it's like when the target is on his back. Let's see how it shakes out.

Still don't know what to make of Mercedes. They seem to be making some improvements week over week, and the car looked decent this weekend. But they still need their upgrade package, and still aren't quite ready to challenge the front runners (but can still keep mid pack at bay). They definitely got better from qualis, but realistically would have still been in 4/5 finish had the RB not crap the bed. I hope the car has a massive upside once they get a grip on everything. It's possible, but getting a full second out of that package is asking a lot.

Albon should have been driver of the day, full stop. 57 laps on hard tires? That's a drive

Midfield battles are great this year. But, so far it hasn't amounted to much up front

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 05:19 PM

36. "RE: Tifosi have hope, for sure. But, will Ferrari go and Ferrari?"
In response to Reply # 35

I was going to come back to mention Albon, that was impressive and cool, was glad he still came out in 10th. was surprised the vote didn't go his way, usually they notice that stuff, especially when Leclerc is barely on screen. I don't vote though lol apparently the Williams love that hard tire so maybe we'll see more of it.

---------------------
Obviously White

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Fri Apr-22-22 02:45 PM

37. "Imola Sprint Weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

Qualifying was earlier today. Had it on, but wasn't paying close attention while in a work meeting. Reg flag nightmare, both Mercs only in Q2. Magnussen P4. Weather definitely played a part, not sure how a Sprint will go at this track tomorrow, could get messy.

Moto GP at the 'Rollercoaster' Portugal Portimao track. Was second last race of the season last year and had some excitement but won't have titles on the line this time.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Sat Apr-23-22 10:10 AM

38. "Sprint was fun."
In response to Reply # 37

Some good battles up and down the field. That DRS effect is massive here.

I'm still tryna adjust to Merc being absolutely nowhere...maybe they can strategize their way into something respectable tomorrow, but damn, they are sloooooow.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Sun Apr-24-22 06:44 PM

39. "Yeah, it's not fun watching Hamilton right now."
In response to Reply # 38

Russell got a stunning start and lucked up a bit higher at the end there so there's that. Norris on the podium, Merc's not even looking like quite the best Merc engine car this weekend. Not having DRS for a lot of the race and the weather seemed to tease the potential of the race a bit, but it had some exciting moments.

I may not like to see it but Red Bull deserved a no-bad luck weekend at least. Ferrari probably wished it didn't happen in Italy though.

Moto GP Championship is tied at the top with two riders on 69 points

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10698 posts
Mon Apr-25-22 08:31 AM

40. "Hamilton, and Mercedes, never had a chance this weekend"
In response to Reply # 39

Sprint weekends are going to suck for Petronas this year. There's no time to try to get any race pace setup, and they cannot pull a hot lap right now. Add the variable weather and there was no chance the W13 would do anything in Imola.

Buck
15861 posts
Mon Apr-25-22 10:48 AM

41. "Miller cleaning out Mir was compelling TV."
In response to Reply # 39

Interesting battles from 2-10, seemed like. Slowly getting a grip on the names and manufacturers...

Looks like RBR vs. Ferrari dor the duration, but cool to see all the shuffling below that. No clear favorite in the midfield...got Alfa and McLaren up there this week, AM looking better, Haas back up in the points. New regs have really mixed things up. Good fun.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Mon Apr-25-22 04:17 PM

42. "RE: Miller cleaning out Mir was compelling TV."
In response to Reply # 41

That little rivalry goes back a while, they had a weird interaction during an opening race a season or two ago and honestly Miller's actions were really questionable, he didn't like Mir's passes but he just drove into him on the straight. He had to own that one though but they should probably avoid each other on track somehow.

The form of the bikes on different tracks this year is really volatile, like I really don't know who's going to have pace, Quartararo either seems unbeatable or struggling on a Yamaha no one else has pace with. Honda's seem like they have something sometimes. The odd Ducati's are a bit crash prone again but there are so many.

Apparently Miami is next for F1 in two weeks. I think I confused it with the Vegas announcement, thought they were both a year or two off. We'll see how that goes.

---------------------
Obviously White

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Fri May-06-22 06:19 PM

43. "Upping this before it drops to Page 2."
In response to Reply # 0

Miami Friday is fun already! Mercedes back??? lol Russell tops a practice session, somethings working, possible they won't quite be there come Q3/race but its a positive sign they are in the right direction.

Sainz's crap weekends haven't ended but hopefully he's getting the crashes out earlier. Verstappen having some mechanical issues again. Hamilton got up to 4th in Practice 2 but Russell still seems to have some tenths on him.

Qualifying at 4 pm tomorrow, feels weird.

Jerez Moto GP race last week had some stellar rides, Bagnaia winning like his old self finally but still injured is cool to see. Canet in Moto 2 finishing second after surgery on a broken bone in like his wrist/hand earlier in the week was amazing, kept expecting him to fall off the pace.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10698 posts
Fri May-06-22 11:46 PM

44. "Afternoon F1 races. Is it 4 this year?"
In response to Reply # 43

Miami, Canada, Texas, Mexico? Makes up for the 1am Australia start

Let's hope the Petronas bros give their fans some hope. A DNF for Max wouldn't be a bad thing either

Buck
15861 posts
Sat May-07-22 07:34 AM

45. "Don't really grasp the start times..."

Generally the schedule aims for a maximum western European audience, but 4 pm EDT is 9 pm in London, 10 in Maranello. I guess the Italians are up that late anyway, but it does seem weird.

Buck
15861 posts
Mon May-09-22 08:29 AM

46. "Guess that was all right."

Some longish straights, some squiggly bits...good midfield action. Don't really have much more of an opinion beyond that. About as good a track as you can draw out in the middle of a parking lot, I guess. Would have been more interesting if a two-stop strategy were the better choice.

5/10.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Mon May-09-22 06:21 PM

47. "RE: Guess that was all right."
In response to Reply # 46

Yeah, when a really weird safety car that everyone was waiting for saves your race (other than Hamilton's again lol) it's kind of a problem. Felt particularly modern social media American (not that it's just America, but that bit in the first lap with a camera in the bandstand when everyone was taking selfies and not watching the track was amusing) with the track having 'set pieces' around it that weren't really relevant to driving. I guess if we're not going to Sochi we needed a flat track around some other sporting stadium lol.

---------------------
Obviously White

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Fri May-13-22 04:22 PM

48. "Moto GP Le Mans weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

Track usually seems to make for good racing.

Pretty surprising news that Suzuki plans to pull out of Moto GP at the end of this year, won the title in 2020 and still seemed solid, almost like Honda pulling their engines from F1 or whatever, but it's an entire team. They've come and gone before, same with Kawasaki ages ago, I guess they just can't always commit to this class, they usually still have superbikes since its just street bikes in racing kit and not prototypes.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Mon May-16-22 09:04 AM

49. "I know very little, but the program can't be THAT expensive to run."
In response to Reply # 48

>Pretty surprising news that Suzuki plans to pull out of Moto
>GP at the end of this year

Compared to any top-flight 4-wheel series, expenses have to be comparatively minimal—not cheap, obviously, but nothing like F1 or even Indy. And relative to the marketing value of being in the series (and winning a championship), it does seem an odd move.

Bagnaia...lol. Dude.

upUPNorth
1580 posts
Mon May-16-22 12:16 PM

50. "RE: I know very little, but the program can't be THAT expensive to run."
In response to Reply # 49

Yeah it's definitely relatively cheaper, the FIM has been concerned with costs earlier than F1 too. It's possibly Suzuki still just isn't as big a company as the others, who knows. Their riders definitely didn't have a good weekend after.

Sucks for Bagnaia, seems like seeing Bastiannini do what he does well on last years bike now seems to annoy the Factory guys. When Enea had the 2020 bike last year it was not that good, though he still showed the late race pace often, but would come from outside the top 10 to almost a podium instead.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
15861 posts
Sun May-22-22 10:57 AM

51. "Crippling day for Ferrari."
In response to Reply # 0

About all you can say about that.

Rjcc
Charter member
94195 posts
Sun May-22-22 03:07 PM

52. "Welcome to the season Mercedes!"
In response to Reply # 51
Sun May-22-22 03:08 PM by Rjcc

so good of you to stop by

KMag took an entirely bizarre angle around that turn? Lewis could've stayed another inch or two right maybe, but he had hella space

Lewis wanting to retire the car and finishing 5th is absolutely classic stuff, same for Verstappen shitting on the entire garage and then getting handed the W

and nice fuckin drive for Russell

Sainz my man, where are you at? You're better than just fucking bottas'ing around the track all day

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Buck
15861 posts
Sun May-22-22 08:44 PM

53. "That snap oversteer the Ferrari was showing is interesting."
In response to Reply # 52
Sun May-22-22 08:44 PM by Buck

>Sainz my man, where are you at? You're better than just fucking bottas'ing around the track all day

He was saying something in the press conference post-quali that he just wasn't feeling the car as well as LeClerc yet. Wonder if that squirrelly back end is a big part of that.

Rjcc
Charter member
94195 posts
Mon May-23-22 03:43 AM

54. "the point has been made that it's got an extremely edgy setup"
In response to Reply # 53

and as we've seen with lewis/max

that frequently equals a teammate who just can't get as much out of the car

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2756575 Previous topic | Next topic