Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYou are right. Leclerc was BEGGING Ferrari to let him past
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2756575&mesg_id=2776221
2776221, You are right. Leclerc was BEGGING Ferrari to let him past
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Nov-14-22 01:04 PM
Says more about him than the team, as they did NOT issue an order to swap places. Ferrari were in a no win situation here, as they really couldn't ask Carlos to let Charles past, considering the year he's had AND getting to that place on merit. Not issuing a team order was probably the best sporting thing to do.

For Leclerc I get where he's coming from, but had Ferrari made that switch they may have been in a similar situation that RB is in now. He's in that position through his driving, bad team strategy and mechanical failures in varying amounts. At this stage, the TEAM goal is hang on to 2nd in the constructors. Driver goals went out the window once he spun and binned his car with no drivers around him. I think Charles is a good driver, and I absolutely understand him wanting to have any chance of salvaging his personal season. And as much as we (rightly) laugh at Ferrari's race day decisions, I think they made the right one here. While the driver standings are close, team standings mean more. Mercedes just got closer to them for 2nd. That's the focus. Their driver coming in 2nd or 3rd means a lot, but less in the grand scheme of things ESPECIALLY if it comes at the expense of their 2nd driver that has suffered enough this season, many timed through no fault of his own.

Either that or nobody on the pitwall had the balls to make the call in real time. Either scenario could be true. This is Ferrari after all. I'm sure Enzo would be proud