Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectMostly tax stuff, evidently.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2756575&mesg_id=2775264
2775264, Mostly tax stuff, evidently.
Posted by Buck, Tue Nov-01-22 09:46 AM
>I saw this as result of a post race Youtube show from Dan Le
>Batard's network. Was the over spending as result of shoddy
>accounting or purposeful cheating?

Some tax payment was supposed to be included in the cost cap, but basically they hadn't received the tax bill yet, so didn't factor the right amount, and then there were marketing costs they didn't include...shoddy accounting, more or less. Wasn't like they were covert testing at Jerez under dark of night. But a cost cap breach is still a breach...Ted Kravitz was talking about this last week, said the feeling in the paddock seems to be that the penalty is about right for the infraction. Not too light, not too heavy...I don't have any particular feeling about whether it taints last year's chip...Merc won 7 straight spending something like 100 million more than RBR, so, you know...

>That team will have a delicate balance to maneuver since
>Russell is no slouch as a driver. From my very new jack eyes,
>Lewis appears to be more skillful, but I naively hope Mercedes
>doesn't sacrifice too much on Russell's behalf just to benefit
>Lewis. But at the same time, both Red Bull and Verstappen
>appear as if they'll continue to improve, so whatever Mercedes
>plans for next season will have to me major for either both or
>one of their drivers.

I think you can guarantee Merc will bring a serious contender next year. They're not in it to finish third.

Lewis is arguably the most complete driver to have ever lived. They don't need to cater to him. He's elite all by himself.