Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWithout the safety car, they may have been able to pull off a win
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2756575&mesg_id=2771441
2771441, Without the safety car, they may have been able to pull off a win
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Sep-06-22 01:28 PM
Lewis was running great on those hards, and without a safety car could have done a one stop while Max, Charles, Sergio, and Checko all would have needed 2. I think he could have pulled enough of a gap on the mediums and held off the other drivers once they made the second stop. But once the safety car hit, the field gets stacked up, Max gets fresh tires for free and it's a wrap.

I suppose I understand what Toto is thinking. They were all in for a win, and making the pit was conceding the loss full stop. I suppose taking that chance was better than losing a few points at this stage. Don't necessarily agree with the strategy, but understand it. They are only 30 points away from Ferrari for second, and assuming Ferrari does what Ferrari always does, Mercedes will likely end up second, which has to be the goal for this year.

I have no idea what was going on at AT. No RB conspiracy thoughts, but that whole pit, check the belts, send out a car that was likely broken only to draw the safety flag was weird.