Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #304666

Subject: "Smartphones" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
10189 posts
Thu Aug-08-19 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Smartphones"

have you guys heard of these things??? jk

where do you guys stand on some of the (relatively) new changes we are seeing?

no headphone jack?
no expandable storage?
notch/cutout/popup selfie cameras?
folding phones??

how often are you replacing your phone?
are you loyal to a brand or os?
how much are you willing to spend on a new phone?

i finally paid off my s8. id be lying if i said im not itching to get a new one. im going to try to hold off as much as possible. i probably just need to get rid of garbage i have on it to free up space. maybe a reset. theres not really a lot of new stuff that makes me want a new phone. i dont think im ready to lose the headphone jack. i have some headphones i use at home that are not wireless and i usually charge my phone while using them.

im a bit concerned with how much storage i need. i have 64gb internal plus 256gb sd card (actual 193, so i think the size is 256). the internal constantly has less than 1gb free. ill clean it up and free up like 4gb then two weeks later its back down to 1. if i could keep 4gb free constantly i think the phone would perform pretty good. as it is i would be worried about getting a phone with less than 512 gb if it didnt have expandable storage. maybe 128gb internal if it had expandable. i remember when 20gb hard drives seemed excessive.

in my mind i would hope i would spend $600 max on a new phone but i know i do like to lean towards the no compromise options so id probably be closer or over $1000. im going to try to wait until next may, no idea which phone i would get. the biggest improvement i can see wanting is a better camera but its not really critical.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought you'd never ask
Aug 08th 2019
ive been using the headphone jack on planes lately.
Aug 08th 2019
      RE: ive been using the headphone jack on planes lately.
Aug 08th 2019
           is it new phones of any model on swappa?
Aug 08th 2019
                oh yeah. the rarer ones are harder to find (i.e. Sony)
Aug 10th 2019
                Loved my Sony, but couldn't buy another one
Aug 12th 2019
welp - i guess bixby has been spying on me
Aug 15th 2019
sounds like the battery
Aug 15th 2019
      yeah i think so
Aug 16th 2019
           i think im going to take it to batteries + bulbs to replace the battery
Aug 16th 2019
                batteries don't usually factor into the value of the phone
Aug 16th 2019
                     the rep said in working order. so i figure they make sure it powers on
Aug 16th 2019
I just bought a new 128 gb s9 for $582 off Amazon
Aug 17th 2019

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
129903 posts
Thu Aug-08-19 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I thought you'd never ask"
In response to Reply # 0

>no headphone jack?

WACK.
though I use them less now than I used to, I like having the option. especially for travelling.

>no expandable storage?

depends on the phone. if there's no >=256GB option for the phone's base storage, it's bullshit. not a complete deal breaker but will mean I need to have to take an extra device with me.

>notch/cutout/popup selfie cameras?

as for the notch, it depends:
the best "notch" IMO is the "teardrop" notch deployed on the OnePlus 6T, and Samsung A70.

the Apple notch is "meh" but it is functional, ditto for most of its imitators (except the real shameless ones)

The Google Pixel 3XL notch is bullshit and just an all around wack design.

>folding phones??

Meh.

>how often are you replacing your phone?

lol...

>are you loyal to a brand or os?

Not anymore.

The Pixel 3a is the first Google phone I've liked post-Nexus. But no microSD. If it had that, I'd crown it GOAT.

I'm not too enthused with the Galaxy Note 10 even though I might be considering it. The only way I'd go for one is if I get enough money off a trade in. I'm not paying full price for that.

I really like Sony phones. And thankfully Verizon is allowing more of them on their network.

And Apple's... OK, I guess. LOL

>how much are you willing to spend on a new phone?

I generally don't think too much of the price because I'm rarely paying the full price (I get my phones off Swappa or off trade ins). I just want that money to be purposeful.

Which is why I really would like a 512GB iPhone, but I'm not spending $1440something for it. it's an -iPhone-. and the XS/XS Max are basically the "Galaxy S/Galaxy SPlus" redo of the iPhone idea.

Even a Galaxy Note 9 @ 512GB and the upcoming Note 10+ at the same storage is less than what Apple charged for the XS Max at that storage.

>i finally paid off my s8. id be lying if i said im not itching
>to get a new one. im going to try to hold off as much as
>possible. i probably just need to get rid of garbage i have on
>it to free up space. maybe a reset. theres not really a lot of
>new stuff that makes me want a new phone. i dont think im
>ready to lose the headphone jack. i have some headphones i use
>at home that are not wireless and i usually charge my phone
>while using them.
>
>im a bit concerned with how much storage i need. i have 64gb
>internal plus 256gb sd card (actual 193, so i think the size
>is 256). the internal constantly has less than 1gb free. ill
>clean it up and free up like 4gb then two weeks later its back
>down to 1. if i could keep 4gb free constantly i think the
>phone would perform pretty good. as it is i would be worried
>about getting a phone with less than 512 gb if it didnt have
>expandable storage. maybe 128gb internal if it had expandable.
>i remember when 20gb hard drives seemed excessive.
>
>in my mind i would hope i would spend $600 max on a new phone
>but i know i do like to lean towards the no compromise options
>so id probably be closer or over $1000. im going to try to
>wait until next may, no idea which phone i would get. the
>biggest improvement i can see wanting is a better camera but
>its not really critical.

I'd probably look at an S9 unlocked w/128GB (if you can find it)
or even a Note 9 on Swappa. Both still have the jack and microSD expansion.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com
Does he ACCEPT? http://i.imgur.com/TBMrAkD.jpg

mista k5
10189 posts
Thu Aug-08-19 03:03 PM

2. "ive been using the headphone jack on planes lately."
In response to Reply # 1

>>no headphone jack?
>
>WACK.
>though I use them less now than I used to, I like having the
>option. especially for travelling.
>

i forgot about that. when i got my bluetooth headphones i for sure thought id use them on the plane but airplane mode messes that up. cant they just admit airplane mode is pointless and let us keep our phones in regular mode the whole flight? i could probably leave it on and they wouldnt notice but i cant bring myself to do it lol. so instead of switching to airplane mode then turning on bluetooth i just use my headphones with the aux.

>>how often are you replacing your phone?
>
>lol...

expound

>I'm not too enthused with the Galaxy Note 10 even though I
>might be considering it. The only way I'd go for one is if I
>get enough money off a trade in. I'm not paying full price for
>that.
>

the good thing about samsungs is they discount them like 300+ just a couple months later plus some value for trade in. thats how i got my s8, ended up trading in my s7 because it just made too much sense lol this was right before the note 8? came out

>I'd probably look at an S9 unlocked w/128GB (if you can find
>it)
>or even a Note 9 on Swappa. Both still have the jack and
>microSD expansion.
>
>

im a snob on this. i sure loved selling my old phones but ive never bought a used one. i dont see that changing anytime soon. id rather hold out. i should get a big bonus in april so id have the money for a new phone. if the s11 loses the headphone jack ill probably be looking outside of samsung. im sure i could get by without the headphone jack but might as well consider other brands at that point.

Dr Claw
129903 posts
Thu Aug-08-19 03:09 PM

3. "RE: ive been using the headphone jack on planes lately."
In response to Reply # 2

>the good thing about samsungs is they discount them like 300+
>just a couple months later plus some value for trade in. thats
>how i got my s8, ended up trading in my s7 because it just
>made too much sense lol this was right before the note 8? came
>out

Yeah. I think the S10 line fell to like 600 or so recently.

>im a snob on this. i sure loved selling my old phones but ive
>never bought a used one. i dont see that changing anytime
>soon. id rather hold out. i should get a big bonus in april so
>id have the money for a new phone. if the s11 loses the
>headphone jack ill probably be looking outside of samsung. im
>sure i could get by without the headphone jack but might as
>well consider other brands at that point.

Swappa actually sells new/unused phones too, at a discount. The one Xperia I got from there was like that. I think it must have been a store's overstock or something.

By that point S11 should be out. I don't think it'll have the "hole punch" cutout for the camera this year's phones do.

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

mista k5
10189 posts
Thu Aug-08-19 03:21 PM

4. "is it new phones of any model on swappa?"
In response to Reply # 3

or its more so models that didnt sell well? i keep my eye on these less popular brand because they usually come out with some cool features. im hesitant to pull the trigger because i think theyll have too many bugs.

ive never given sony phones a proper look. i think the few times i looked at one my nintendo pride would make me put them down lol i dont know what brand i would go with if i ditch samsung. i dont see myself ever going iphone.

i figure we will have a lot of cool stuff announced in spring next year so im going to have to keep my head down until then.

Dr Claw
129903 posts
Sat Aug-10-19 11:07 AM

5. "oh yeah. the rarer ones are harder to find (i.e. Sony)"
In response to Reply # 4

>or its more so models that didnt sell well? i keep my eye on
>these less popular brand because they usually come out with
>some cool features. im hesitant to pull the trigger because i
>think theyll have too many bugs.
>
>ive never given sony phones a proper look. i think the few
>times i looked at one my nintendo pride would make me put them
>down lol i dont know what brand i would go with if i ditch
>samsung. i dont see myself ever going iphone.
>
>i figure we will have a lot of cool stuff announced in spring
>next year so im going to have to keep my head down until
>then.

but I was able to find a new Xperia 1 recently. Wonder what the deal was there.

New unused iPhones there too. they have to provide pictures of everything to sell there (I've sold there) so you won't get scammed. and if you do, there are safeguards.

But yeah. Next year I think Samsung fixes a few things. This year felt very transitional. And I hope the "no headphone" jack trend doesn't stay their way. It's nice to have both. and frankly, there are some annoying aspects of Bluetooth headphones.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10101 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 10:37 PM

6. "Loved my Sony, but couldn't buy another one"
In response to Reply # 4

Absolutely loved my Z3. Paid it off. Would still have it if the battery didn't crap out. That and if it didn't get stolen out of my car, but...

I couldn't justify buying another Sony for a few reasons. First, no US carrier sales, so buying aftermarket and getting my own insurance would be the only way to go. Assuming I did that, there's really no compelling reason to go through the hassle. XZ1 was the last of the headphone jacks. XZ2 and XZ3 are fine, but a generation (or 2) behind on processor and no headphone jack. Their new One line has the weird 2 display which gives you a taller phone than I'd like. Besides having a dedicated camera button there's nothing they do that's that much better than any other phone, but they come with compromises I don't want (RAM, internal memory, no headphone jack) at a price higher than most other phones.

As anti-Samsung as I have been for years (but pro-Android, I'll say), I ended up with the 10e and have been happy so far. No serious compromises, specs work well, 128GB internal memory stock, SD card slot, and OneUI doesn't suck.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

mista k5
10189 posts
Thu Aug-15-19 10:14 AM

7. "welp - i guess bixby has been spying on me"
In response to Reply # 0

phone crapped out on me last night. on my way home android auto disconnected. i tried to get it working again and it wouldnt. later in the night i plug in my phone to charge and no problem. i go to bed and plug it in, wake up an hour late and the phone is dead. no indication that its plugged in. ive tried different cables, outlets, adapters, wireless. nada

i figured the usb port was crapping out but for it to not even charge wirelessly?? would that make sense if the phone is fully dead? plus it had at least 60% when i went to bed so it wouldnt just discharge overnight. i dont know if its some virus or what.

i guess im going to replace it at lunch???? what should i look for at bestbuy/verizon?

right now im thinking of going two different routes.
1. buy the best phone thats available in store, hope theres a bogo offer to recoup some money.

2. if i dont like whats in store buy the cheapest phone they have (>$100) and order another one. either this week or hold off for some months.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
41951 posts
Thu Aug-15-19 03:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "sounds like the battery"
In response to Reply # 7

mista k5
10189 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 10:01 AM

9. "yeah i think so"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Aug-16-19 10:06 AM by mista k5

im halfway wondering if i should look into getting the battery replaced.

i went ahead and bought an LG stylo 4 as a temp. during my morning routine it dropped like 2% in battery. the s8 was dropping like 20-30% during the same routine. this is like 2/3 hours.

im not sure what im going to do as the final solution. my initial thought was return the lg and take the $35 restocking hit. im looking into s10, probably s10+. att basically locks you into a 30 month contract to get the discounts/rebate card. verizon is 24 months. i dont like how they made the discounts be monthly credits that disappear if you decide to pay off the phone.

gotta do some math and look at cheaper options that have similar features. open to suggestions.

after having the stylo for less than a day i miss the always on display, the good cameras and the screen. *also miss having compatibility with the gear s2 watch.

mista k5
10189 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 02:28 PM

10. "i think im going to take it to batteries + bulbs to replace the battery"
In response to Reply # 9

just want to know if they can tell if thats the problem. dont wanna pay $70 and it still wont turn on.

im not sure how much stuff is on it that i NEED to recover but if it does work then i think $70 is a fair price.

does anyone know if verizon will accept a phone in with a replaced battery? can supposedly get $200 for trading it in.

i think my brain has already set on getting the s10 but maybe i end up waiting if the battery replacement goes well.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
41951 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "batteries don't usually factor into the value of the phone"
In response to Reply # 10

most manufacturers/dealers don't care about the battery when it comes to rebates

mista k5
10189 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 05:41 PM

12. "the rep said in working order. so i figure they make sure it powers on"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri Aug-16-19 05:54 PM by mista k5

after that its all fair. im just hoping the battery replacement works.

Edit: called batteries + bulbs and the tech said to take it in. they will diagnose it. if its the battery then they will swap it out and were good to go. if its not, they dont swap charge ports on the s8 so basically they would put the old battery back in and no charge. i think theres a music store next door so it will be a good excuse to spend some time in there maybe pick up some stuff.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28090 posts
Sat Aug-17-19 12:09 PM

13. "I just bought a new 128 gb s9 for $582 off Amazon"
In response to Reply # 0

They selling new s9s on Amazon for $330+.

These trends are all trash and most people are perfectly fine with a mid-range device. Only problem is software updates. You wind up spending max $400 every two years if an os comes out that you like but can't update to.

People don't take into account accessory ecosystem when buying devices. Look up accessory availability and American customer service ranking before you buy a smartphone.

Lobby High-Tech topic #304666 Previous topic | Next topic