Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #15836

Subject: "INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Mercedes
Charter member
88 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."

I’m writing in response to the posts regarding our situation with MCA. I’d like to start by saying that I purposely kept news of our plight off the boards and on our journals because I felt that our supporters would like to know and those who aren’t supporters wouldn’t be trying to hear it. The people that read my journal and interact with us through our guest book have been and are a source of strength, encouragement and inspiration for us. There’s many a day when I feel like shit and wonder why I’m even bothering anymore. It’s been a tough road and Jazzy supporters know this. This isn’t the first time I’ve shared my views and given our perspective on our relationship with MCA. Those who follow the journals know this is just another chapter in the on going drama. I give myself permission to speak candidly about my thoughts and feelings, hoping to move towards making sense out of things. It certainly doesn’t make me feel good to go on these boards and read some of the things I've been reading. Like most people I prefer to be liked but sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand. Ultimately the important thing is not that everyone like our music but that those who might be open be given a chance to make up their own minds. We don’t want MCA to do anything for us but let us go. If we’re not commercial enough, let us go. If we’re not a priority, let us go. If we’re too vocal, let us go. If you feel we can’t sing, let us go. If you feel I can’t sing, let us go. Let us go. Please.
Most people are familiar with the industry perspective of the music business. Everyone knows people want to make money. Commerce is key. I can appreciate the sentiment and I understand the rhetoric. Hell I want to make money. It’s just hard to be pragmatic because it’s my life we’re talking about, my dream, something I’ve devoted over half my life to. What should I do, try to be something I'm not? Rest assured there would be all kinds of back-lash on the boards. Why are they frontin'? You have to believe in what you're doing. I'm just now beginning to master believing in myself. I can't imagine courting another style or imagine because it's the "commercial" thing to do. Any time you create something and put it out there for public consumption you open yourself up to criticism. If you read my journals you’ll see that I myself have commented on our shows and being unhappy with everything from the sound to our performance to something stupid we said or did. The fact is that we started Black Lily because we had so little performing experience. We needed a place to DEVELOP. Up to that point we’d only done scattered showcases, several studio recordings and aca-pella singing. I’ll be the first to tell you we have room to grow but I also know we’re definitely moving in the right direction. If I’ve learned anything I’ve learned that this is a confidence game in which she with the most conviction prevails.

Having watched several artists in our own camp grow during their time at the Lily I can tell you that it’s exciting to see what repetition, faith, and feed back can do for a performer. I’m excited to see where we’ll be six months from now, let alone a year, considering how far we've come. It just doesn’t make sense to use whether or not you care for our shows or my voice as a reason why we should remain silent about a situation that has become down right painful. Even with no support from MCA, we do have a fan-base of about 60,000 people. It’s a natural conclusion to think that had we received an adequate amount of support and exposure we could have added to that number substantially. Time and time again I’ve heard of our record selling through someone hearing someone else’s copy. I’m telling you, things like that get under your skin.

I remember when Macy Gray first came out, how people responded on the boards, most of them tearing her to pieces. Someone even described her voice as feeling like a hot nail in his ear. One helluva promotional campaign later, she goes triple platinum in the U.S. and many more than that abroad. Maybe you were one of the people that didn’t like her and you still don’t but she found an audience nevertheless, it just doesn’t include a lot of Okayplayers. I for one enjoyed the album and I’m happy she wound up at a place where there were people that believed in her enough to risk their very jobs. They spent millions of dollars selling Macy Gray and ultimately it paid off to the delight of her A & R I’m sure. Macy’s case is inspiring but definitely an exception to the rule. You won’t find too many labels willing to shell out that kind of money on a new artist. I suspect it had everything to do with Andrew Slater’s experience and track record with another left of center artist, Fiona Apple. This is a useful example as to what can happen when money is spent but let’s face it, most of us won’t be that lucky.

Another exception to the rule is the case of our own Jill Scott. The girl is dope! She’s amazing and there aren’t too many people that would say anything different. Go to any hip, cool store or café and she’s probably playing in the background. She found a home on Hidden Beach, a label that can’t even offer the kinds of budgets MCA gives but a place that certainly knows what kind of artist they had on their hands. More importantly it’s a small label that could give a project the kind of attention it needs. But the key ace in the hole as far as raising Jill’s visibility . . . the fact that she wrote the hook to The Roots, Grammy winning song and that she was passed over, by MCA ironically, in favor of another singer with more celebrity, Erykah. You can’t buy that kind of publicity, well you can, but it doesn’t come cheap. It’s just the kind of underdog story we all love. When The Roots and Rich wanted to keep Jill on the song MCA wasn’t having it, now they want to release the Jill version of “You Got Me” on a compilation. Go figure? Timing, publicity, and certainly talent all played a part in Jill’s going platinum. If they continue to spend money she'll sell even more. It’s an inspiring example but unfortunately most artists don’t have those kinds of credentials starting out. I’m happy for Jill but I can’t say I wasn’t scared that labels, particularly our own, would use her example to explain why they don’t need to spend money promoting their artists.

As Jaguar says, I’m tired of the “what ifs.” What if they would’ve gone to radio? People often mention “Unconventional Ways,” what if it had come out? What if we were on this or that label? What if MCA really cared and understood our music? What if we could’ve spent more time on the album . . . etc., at this point we would just like to be dropped. I’m serious; no deal is better than this one. Why the extreme opinion? I knew I was done when I realized that even the prospect of doing well on MCA frightened me. We’d be stuck and I don’t think I could take the sudden adulation from all the people you know weren’t feeling you before you blew up. This whole drama has been driving me crazy and I’ve got to do something or implode. I’ve been worrying about this for too long now and I’m at my wit’s end. If we didn’t have the Lily, the contact with our supporters and the journals to speak out in, I honestly don’t know what condition I’d be in right now. I realize this is going to be much bigger than I imagined. It started with voicing my opinions in my journal but now there are more and more people coming out to tell their own stories. I’ve got to face the fact that our only role might be to draw attention to the unfair treatment and maybe make things easier on the next artist. It's a chance we have no choice but to take.

I spoke to a dear friend of mine today and she told me that she’d read my journal the other day. She said “Girl, I wish I could be so brave.” Hmm. I don’t feel very brave. Maybe desperation leads to bravery. Tracey and I have been together for going on ten years now. We’ve been a duo for about three of those years. The road has been long and not without potholes. The idea of once again putting our art in MCA’s hands is so distasteful to me that I’d rather give up than let it happen. I believe in the potential of what Tracey and I have together. But the pressure of doing this, especially with a label that just doesn’t get us, is too much for me. I’ve resolved to put every ounce of my being into making things happen for us. If that doesn’t work I’m going to quit. Not music, music will always be a part of my life. My father was a musician. We have a musical family. I’ll always work on different experimental projects and continue my work within the Black Lily organization. However satisfying that could prove it is not my dream. It’s what I'd settle for. Best believe that before I throw in the towel I’m going to see this thing to its logical conclusion, whatever that may be.

Maybe I’ve stumbled onto something I didn’t know I had in me. All I know is I’ve never felt so cornered and I’ve been taking boxing lessons. We have no idea whether MCA is planting moles on these boards. Some of these people got their login codes yesterday. Maybe people always thought I sounded shitty but didn’t think it important enough to post about until now. I’m Spanish and Cuban. I was born in Spain. English is my second language. I’m bi-racial. I didn’t come up in the church. My voice and tone reflect this. I can accept that in Black music my kind of voice is not typically preferred. I can accept being described as the “light-skinned, skinny one with the white sounding voice.” I don’t like it but I’m learning that I can take it. Historically I’m not the confrontational type so this is turning out to be a real growing experience for me. I’m not out to embarrass or malign anyone unjustly. I just want to be respected as an artist and human being. For many in this business it’s all about survival of the fittest. We’re not people. We’re numbers and quotas. The bottom line reigns supreme. I get it but this is my life and I’ve got to do something or go out trying. We’re not the only ones going through this. This is just our story.

Just let us go. Please. Let us go.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
stay strong sis..
Jun 01st 2001
FREE THE JAZZIES
Jun 01st 2001
cosign!!
Jun 01st 2001
more info:
Jun 01st 2001
      Courtney Love
Jun 02nd 2001
jus know that... I LOVE U
Jun 01st 2001
RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . .
Jun 01st 2001
Thank you...
Jun 01st 2001
damn, the horrors of the music biz
Jun 01st 2001
hey you!
Jun 01st 2001
hey lovely ladies
Jun 01st 2001
merc...
Jun 01st 2001
Keep perservering
Jun 01st 2001
Jun 01st 2001
late night opinion...
Jun 01st 2001
She's Cuban..I'm pretty sure N/M
Jun 02nd 2001
      OK...
Jun 02nd 2001
      nope...
Jun 04th 2001
Jun 01st 2001
I feel ya!
maddbuddha
Jun 02nd 2001
Mercedes..
Jun 02nd 2001
mercedes
Jun 02nd 2001
suggestion
Jun 02nd 2001
that's the truth
Jun 03rd 2001
keep shining
Jun 02nd 2001
honestly..
Jun 02nd 2001
Michaelangelo
Jun 02nd 2001
good luck
Jun 02nd 2001
everything he said
Jun 02nd 2001
      Hold Ya Heads
Jun 02nd 2001
you have no reason to look down
Jun 02nd 2001
so you will be at lily in New York?
Jun 02nd 2001
just read the whole story
Jun 03rd 2001
mercedes
Jun 02nd 2001
just to let you know
Jun 02nd 2001
jeez
Jun 02nd 2001
I said it before...
Jun 03rd 2001
when the jazzies were in mca
Jun 03rd 2001
RE: when the jazzies were in mca
Jun 06th 2001
*sigh*
Jun 03rd 2001
:-(
Jun 04th 2001
INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . .
goldenlotus
Jun 04th 2001
stay up
Jun 04th 2001
Wow...that sounded like...
Jun 04th 2001
Evasive Tactics are needed....
Jun 04th 2001
LOVE LOVE LOVE....
Jun 04th 2001
oh man sis
Jun 04th 2001
Why did you sign with MCA in the first place?
Jun 04th 2001
RE: Why did you sign with MCA in the first place?
Jun 05th 2001
      its a valid question, negro
Jun 08th 2001
Please read this
Jun 04th 2001
damn....
Jun 04th 2001
The art of getting fucked!!!
alphee
Jun 04th 2001
INDUSTRY RULE # 4079
quinceyj
Jun 04th 2001
RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4079
williebobo
Jun 05th 2001
Jun 06th 2001
my theory
Jun 06th 2001
Jun 06th 2001
Jun 06th 2001
courtney love is my hero
Jun 08th 2001
      the struggle is on
Jun 08th 2001
           IMPORTANT NOTE!!
Jun 08th 2001
so you work for a label?
Jun 06th 2001
you all
Jun 05th 2001
i'm not even a big Jazzies fan....
Jun 06th 2001
Jun 06th 2001
Jun 06th 2001
Hold ya head sista!
Jun 07th 2001
mrvuks
Jun 08th 2001
wow...
Jun 08th 2001
Jun 09th 2001

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "stay strong sis.."
In response to Reply # 0

shady business to be such kind souls trying to swim

Much love,
Kyle

go vote for me, cause i'm extreme and deserve to be on TV..oh yeah, and i'll buy tara something too

http://bluetorch.tv/host/voteforme.asp?id=41472

let ang be a rock star! no more moderating for her!

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 03:58 PM

2. "FREE THE JAZZIES"
In response to Reply # 0

especially after hearing that sample that was posted of the song...

O <---- c~

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 04:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "cosign!!"
In response to Reply # 2

>especially after hearing that sample that
>was posted of the song...
>

and you didnt even hear the super funky hit you in your gut track they played when they came to HOB.

GOOD LUCK JAZZIES!!! stay strong!

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 04:24 PM

5. "more info:"
In response to Reply # 2

since Courtney Love's lawsuit is mentioned in the Journals and this is the basis of the lawsuit:

http://www.hole.com/speech/

O <---- c~

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "Courtney Love"
In response to Reply # 5

I am glad Mercedes read that article, I posted about it in one of the last threads knowing she would be really interested by it.
Hopefully Courtney reads her message boards.

I hope Courtney wins that shit and kicks some ass!

Peace,
Steve
OkayArtist Board Moderator
Please Read Guidelines:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
IM:Gigfog

I have not smoked a cigarette since May 31 2001......hope this works this time.

IM me at Gigfog maybe you can be lucky enough to be my friend!

dj_teddy_bear
Charter member
4213 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 04:21 PM

4. "jus know that... I LOVE U"
In response to Reply # 0

both u mercedes and tracey also!!!!!!

u got a teddy bear wheneva u need it!!!!

and i'll ALWAYS cop ya cd or material! i promise.

good luck wit this whole dilemma love. peace

bite me...http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/content.php?id=9155

shut up!...u'r a bad ho (c) Karas

U WANT MY EMAIL ADDRESS?!?!!
its, dj_teddy_bear@hotmail.com, my AIM too? its nappysince83.

OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since (11/12)2000

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akweykan - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn - Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD - TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - Scout - sugarflyy - Adrenaline - RipRapRoad - SayWhatMan - Divine Sheba - IlladOLphINS - ICE - 6thSenses - Okayplayer619 - Yunique - Mr_Sarcastic_tha_Antagonist - okaykelc - Zeno - wolfie - the Light - Mind Set

and our honorary OKAYuncle and aunts... L_O_Quent, 3rd i, bnicedh, Double M, Ricochet

wanna be an official OKAYoungin? hit me (info is higher up!), daveyg (davegilbertson - AIM) or zero (monkeybars j5 - AIM)

"They owe me whats mine, I show you if you if you lone me ya nine!...These crackers cant stop UHURU" - stic.man (of dead prez) 'dem crazy'

peace...One luv 4 hip hop.....DJ Teddy Bear

pey
Charter member
1888 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 04:31 PM

6. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

you're beautiful. stay strong!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
ain't no blood in my body,:
it's liquid soul in my veins :

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 04:39 PM

7. "Thank you..."
In response to Reply # 0

for maintaining the integrity of your art; and though you apparently feel like there's no way out, thank you for dealing with your adversity with such grace. You set a positive example for us to follow...

Good luck, and if you feel cornered, we're right there with you...

DROots
Charter member
1311 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 06:00 PM

8. "damn, the horrors of the music biz"
In response to Reply # 0

damn girl. i feel bad for you guys. You and Tracy are so talented, but MCA puts you aside. If they're not gonna put support in your music, they SHOULD just let you go. It's not worth it for you guys. Has a label like Hidden Beach ever approached you, behind the scenes? I think that you guys would fit in perfectly over there. Look what happened to Jilly, she was shunned by MCA, and then she blew up. Well, good luck and god bless.
peace
mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
aim: okayplayerDROots
OKAYOUNGINS UNITE!!!- zero
okayoungins- giving you true youthful musical wisdom since 2000.
OFFICIAL OKAYOUNGINS LIST: dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots-albinomexican - llness - okaymattd - daila - Homerilliad404 - Essaywhuman-Goldenwon - preach - Hersheybit-brown_thought - naame - akweykan -Carmia - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn-Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD-TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - Scout - sugarflyy - RipRapRoad - Adrenaline - SayWhatMan - Divine Sheba - IlladOLphINS - ICE - 6thSenses - Okayplayer619 - Yunique - okaykelc - wolfie

"i can't express myself like this and that, because this doesn't come out like that."- Jimi Hendrix

"I'm morpheous in this hip hop matrix, exposin' fake shit."- Common Sense

THE REDSOX WILL NOT FALL INTO A SLUMP THIS YEAR!! WHY? the timing of NOMAR

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 07:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "hey you!"
In response to Reply # 0

haven't kept up with the journal, haven't really read the thread, but i'm sayin, do your thing, most important is that yall are happy with what you do. nothing's worse than working hard at something you're not satisfied with, i've been there. so don't bow to pressure, do your thing, and i promise once i'm 21 i'll come see yall at lily again if you're still there. i miss it, so don't disappear on me.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
ILLWILL - Chi Ali! hahaha!!!
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 07:25 PM

10. "hey lovely ladies"
In response to Reply # 0

it'll all work itself out.

in the end, you still have us, your fans.

and your fans are the reason you sing.
DC loves you.

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 07:25 PM

11. "merc..."
In response to Reply # 0

first let me (andrea) begin by saying thanks, for supporting me as an artist. from one artist to another i know its not easy, it never is. the harder it is, the sweeter it will be. im going thru it right now myself, struggling to make it as an artist, sometimes not eating, but i do it cause i love it.

my words of wisdom to you are this, when you find yourself cornered, breakdown a wall. theres always another route.

peace and good luck

Andrea

"the lesson" An art exhibition fusing hip hop and the fine arts. 15 New paintings by Andrea Chung, September 6th, 2001. For more information, or if you would like to sponsor this exhibition please call 718.404.3900 x3040
Want to perk up your mom's dingy
basement you live in? Starting May 5th,
I will be selling sketches for the LOW
LOW price of $8 plus a shipping fee.
Intersted?

Call 718.404.3900 x3040

in the mean time in between time,check
out...
http://homepage.newschool.edu/~chunga01

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 08:04 PM

12. "Keep perservering"
In response to Reply # 0

As someone who has musicial aspirations I also fear not being able to succeed or being screwed over by a label or everything else you've gone through.
If you are determined to leave this label and make it someway else, I am sure it'll work itself out.
Just takes courage, determination and a belief in yourself.
You ladies have immense talent and it would be a shame to never have it come to real fruition.
Once again, good luck in your endeavors wherever you may end up, I'll be pulling for you and I am sure most of the people here will!

Peace,
Steve
Please Read Guidelines:

emeyesi
Charter member
10914 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 09:32 PM

13. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Eff these majors...with all the talent of the Okayplayer/Soulquarian/Philly massive ya'll should be able to make something happen.

Funniest quotes of 2001:

"Hip Hop is a Black American/Latino thing, and if you can't blaze in the states with the origonators of the culture, those who know the culture best, those to whom it's not an import or "exotic", then you can get a dick." -QtheBuggid1

"America is hip hop, bottom line. This is where it started, and this is where it stay...but as a whole, the american hip hop audience is much more knowledgeable than the audience in germany, france, or any other country. Thats just the way it is."
- 3XKrazy

NEW ENGLAND PLAYERS UNITE!!!

EMAIL ME at emeyesi@aol.com TO GET ON THE MAILING LIST.

.imageyenation.dot.com.

los79
Charter member
4311 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 09:40 PM

14. "late night opinion..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think you girls have the skills and art to make it out there. Your show was one of the best I've ever seen live if that's has any inportance. I will definately buy your next album based on the material I've heard and I hope you girls keep working on that album strong, not for the label but for us who apreciate the music that you girls vulnerably share with us. As a matter a fact that song about the family that has their own thing going on...It reminds me of the movie american beauty.

Good Luck with the next release and with your label issues. Come back to Boston soon. Another thing...Mercedes, are you Dominican? 'Cause in the Boston show I was like "yeah she looks Dominican", but my cousin couldn't agree with me.

---------------------------------------
"Looking Good!"
Chico

Kevin Torres
R.I.P.

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 10:11 AM

25. "She's Cuban..I'm pretty sure N/M"
In response to Reply # 14

Peace,
Steve
Please Read Guidelines:

los79
Charter member
4311 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 10:15 AM

26. "OK..."
In response to Reply # 25

---------------------------------------
"Looking Good!"
Chico

Kevin Torres
R.I.P.

Shelly
Charter member
15886 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 03:31 AM

39. "nope..."
In response to Reply # 25

she's neither. READ the Bio , it's in there

You are on the right path to a hot bottom. Shrek

Shit happens

Abraham
Charter member
707 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 10:10 PM

15. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

...So kids watch your back cuz' I think they smoke crack. I don't doubt it.
Look at how they act...
I'm witcha' ladies... do yo' thang.
You got a fan in me.
OnE.

AbE"Canofwormsanyone??"SpiGG-NiCe!!!
"Not from the P.J's yet I still got somethin' to say..."- Plug1
"I learned at least this by my experiments. That if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put something behind and will pass an invisible boundary."
--Henry David Thoreau
"...I love my momma' and I love you, and this is- I'm out."-CoM

-AbE
Deejay Evillincoln...
"Not from the P.J's yet I still got something to say..."-Plug 1
"There goes that sinking feeling again..."- Optimus Prime
"No matter how many times the ball bounces.. there's still no bones in ice cream- Nice N' Smooth

maddbuddha

Sat Jun-02-01 03:24 AM

16. "I feel ya!"
In response to Reply # 0

I found your message to be moving, sad, yet positive. I myself have been going through a series of pittfalls and sometimes I feel as if I no longer want to continue on with my pursuit of personal happiness...but there's always this inner voice that speaks to me in moments when I feel the most vulnerable. I continually remind myself that this is a battle within ourselves and a battle that I refuse to lose.

If I give up now, then everything that I've worked so hard for up to this point meant nothing.

I was born and raised in the east coast and I moved to LA about a year and a half ago pursuing many dreams. blind faith led me to this city and for the first year, I was absolutely miserable. stuck at a job that I really didn't like and finding it so hard to adapt to an environment that was the least bit familiar to what I've always known. I had only my girlfriend to talk to who went to school in LA and the rest of the time, I was alone trying to rekindle the passion and fire to be creative and spontaneous. My creativeness and will to succeed have always been my strengths and eversince coming to LA, I felt as if I lost it all. At times, I felt as if I was a lifeless being just letting the days pass me by like a bum on a bench. other days, I feel like I can take on the entire world. These mood shifts has made myself feel totally inbalanced and as a result has made my life a living hell. I take it out on people that care about me the most and sometimes I don't even know who I am when i look myself in the mirror.

for me, these upcoming months are crucial. almost a sense of urgency! I'm making the initiative to change my life. I'm going to seek professional therapy to deal with my pseudo depression/stress/anxiety. I'm going to consider other avenues as far as work is concerned. Most importantly, I'm choosing to take back what is most important to me right now....and that is my life and well being.

My childhood idol, Bruce Lee once said

"Be like water. Water is the most purest substance in the world. If you pour water into a cup. It becomes the cup. If you pour water into a tea pot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow and it can crash. it can penetrate through any rock. be like water, my friend"

this basically sums up a lot of things for me...and that's to learn to adapt to everything that comes at me.

I hope this message reaches to you soon. I honestly feel that you two are very very close to where you need to be. And if that requires for you to ADJUST or shift things, then baby thats what you got to do!!

although you and I have different stories and lives, there are many parallels to yours and mine and i can feel it. so I hope that you are able to find that peace of mind as I am striving to find this as well.

if you ever stop into LA again cause I know this is your stomping grounds, give me a holla. My girlfriend and I would love to meet ya!

keep it jazzy and fat!

a supporter and someone who's feelin' ya

maddbuddha
maddbuddha@hotmail.com

LaDieMeCCa
Charter member
657 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 05:05 AM

17. "Mercedes.."
In response to Reply # 0

Just know that yours and Tracey's music is an inspiration to so many, and your starting of Black Lily was a gift to NYC and the cities that followed. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my friends I brought to Black Lily who became Jazzy groupies overnight, and how many could've dubbed my CD but bought yours to support you talented ladies. There's always a struggle on the road to success, but just know that you have support from so many.

Ciao!

---Kathy--

"You could get in the game, but who's ahead in the race?"--Evidence

"Drunk off the irony..it's sweet intoxication"--Lauryn Hill

*hooray for emoticons*

}> :'(

"Madam Potential. I'm deadly with a pencil."

jade_foxxx
Charter member
2983 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 05:34 AM

18. "mercedes"
In response to Reply # 0

i haven't met you personally, but i have seen you perform and at other events like angie's book signing- and i must say that you have such a positive energy about you- definitely someone whom i admire (even from afar)and i think that it is terrible that the scrutiny that you have recieved has caused you to have to let it all out on the board (times is rough where you have to take it to the boards) and i appreciate you even taking the time to explain anything to these knuckle heads (myself included)because it's mostly a lot of people speculating about an industry and situations that they dont even understand...the part of your letter that really struck me was about your letter is the part about you're heritage and background- black people can be so hateful (white people got their issues too, but i'm talking about the folks here) towards those of us who are of color but dont fit the mold of what we're "supposed" to be...so much that and just like how people talk about celebraties like they are not real people, folks throw around these racial comments like we asked to be born into a society that forces us to choose- not that i would want to be anything but black- but living in america i used to wish i wasn't mixed- because as a child people wouldn't let me forget for even one day that i was different...and it's a shame that adults feel that they can still act this way- but i'm sure you know by now that you're background is a blessing- and the purpose of youre struggle will be revealed to you...so dont give up- from what i know so far about your story, i'm sure you will not....

love, lauren

jade_foxxx
~~~~~~~~~~
be fearless- choose love

"on this site I am influential! in real life i am John! And jade_foxx in real life is just Influential's sister! just thought i would clear up the confusion"- mi hermano

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
every blessing ignored becomes a curse (c)paulo coelho
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[link:www.blackstudies.ucsb.edu/images/mapblackst

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 05:45 AM

19. "suggestion"
In response to Reply # 0

anywhere in your contract are you allowed to send songs for soundtracks??? cause i'm thinking your music could be lovely within a movie setting, and it could grab a few more...just thoughts. stay strong

Much love,
Kyle

go vote for me, cause i'm extreme and deserve to be on TV..oh yeah, and i'll buy tara something too

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Even a Dollar can HELP..

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 06:24 AM

36. "that's the truth"
In response to Reply # 19

*and* that's how "I Don't Know" got radio play...

More soundtrack joints = more exposure...

-thebigfunk

Is this really Radiohead? Get Kinetic:
http://www.angelfire.com/art/thebigfunk/

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 06:28 AM

20. "keep shining"
In response to Reply # 0

You both make beautiful music, and you know this.

Thousands of other people know this too.

One day everyone else will catch up.

Stay strong.

1Love,
BigPerm

IN THE DECK:

Jeff Buckley - Grace @@@@1/2
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides now @@@@1/2
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night @@@@
Blues Traveler - Straight on Til Mornin' @@@@
Johnny Guitar Watson - Bob Wow @@@@
Ruby - Salt Peter @@@
Tool - Lateralus @@@1/2
Pixies - Come on Pilgrim @@@@@
The Breeders - POD @@@1/2
Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog (???)
Sons of Soul - @@1/2 but I haven't given it it's due yet...

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 07:11 AM

21. "honestly.."
In response to Reply # 0

i knew the jazzies were having a rough time with mca but, i didn't know things were THIS bad for the jazzies. i tend to not pay attention a lot of the time.

i don't know what to say. i can sho' nuff empathize with the feeling of wanting to just give up but don't.

do NOT give up. if nothing else, you've got the okayplayer fam backing ya'll up.

slapbappoobiedoopuhbopdeebop
slapbappoobiedoopuhbopdeebop
bweeee eeyow eeeeee ow ow
bweeee eeyow eeeeee ow ow
dapablapablikdeeeyowwwwwwwww

Michaelangelo

Sat Jun-02-01 07:28 AM

22. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Mad Skillz dropped from Rawkus before his single or any product even hit the stores...record company people are...

"the Haterade pitcher should be empty by now"

*******and dat's all I got to say bout dat******

micsource13@blackplanet.com

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 08:43 AM

23. "good luck"
In response to Reply # 0

y'all have enough experience in the biz to know what's best for yourselves. stay up.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

The Rebels are coming...be aware...

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux - God is hiding between the notes

I make art as a humble attempt to communicate with God and make sense of the millions of random actions that form our universe.

Shockwave intro of the moment - http://www.onebadsista.com

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

rgv
Charter member
4556 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 02:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "everything he said"
In response to Reply # 23

may all wurk out for the best.

ruling goddess of venus
risin growin victoriously
really gettin vexed
rude girl virgo

i just want chu to know
how i feel
how i feel

Ricochet
Charter member
20023 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 02:18 PM

28. "Hold Ya Heads"
In response to Reply # 27

I appreciate everything you two do, and I have much love and respect for you both I hope this all works out for the better...OnE

OKAY Uncle Ricochet- Giving You True Wisdom Since 2001

Shouts 2 Da One Shot Fam

"If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that i'm hatin'"- Common

Can I get a freakin record deal!!!

"I stay on ya mind like great sex, you ain't on my mind i'm thinkin bout pay checks"- Jay Dee

F--- a quote.

http://members.blackplanet.com/RickRude

http://www.rap2000.com/mcbios/r/ricochet.shtml

Hit me up @ AIM: RicochetDaEmcee1

http://chegrand.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-havent-given-up-this-place-just-yet.html

mcScoobySnack
Charter member
2759 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 03:05 PM

29. "you have no reason to look down"
In response to Reply # 0

so hold your head high. 60,000 street teamers cant be wrong

o

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 03:43 PM

30. "so you will be at lily in New York?"
In response to Reply # 0

or should i stay home?

SERIOUS BUSINESS
http://www.imamjamil.com/

CHECK OUR NEW JAWNS
http://www.thejawn.com/krasdale
http://www.ventmag.com/krasdale/

and leave the Krasdale Kru a message:
in Atlanta at (404) 978-1262 x1184
in Los Angeles at (213) 401-2100 x6844
in San Fran at (415) 430-2161 x2258
in Wash. DC at (202) 756-4100 x9180
in Houston at (713) 590-2341 x5629
in New York at (917) 421-3901 x1725
in Chicago at (312) 777-4001 x5423

Thought twice, shoulda thought once
got played for the dunce- Malik B

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 08:01 AM

38. "just read the whole story"
In response to Reply # 30

and please know this, we love you Merce

But that UMP player on your CD sucks

but y'all are apart of my being, and we miss you.

where did you get white sounding from, you and Tracey sound wonderful together?

stay strong, and I hope to see you soon

http://instagram.com/schemeofthings

K_A_Wright
Charter member
16168 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 07:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "mercedes"
In response to Reply # 0

Hang in there, girl.

He doesn't give you anymore than you can handle & eventually, you'll look back on this time & realize the strength that was growing within you out of all this turmoil.

Take care of you, your family and your friends. I'm rooting for you all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kristy*

Just like music, doo-doo-doo do do! -- Marvin

Show me some love, strip off your clothes and take off your socks... -- Missy

k.

so much awesome in one place.

JNOTA
Charter member
1342 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 09:32 PM

32. "just to let you know"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll be in the store the day your album is released... whenever that is. I was definitley feeling that first song you put on this site.

PS
MCA: Do the right thing! Either let them go or support their art. Please stop wasting peoples time and stop getting in the way of the music.

----------------------------------------
"we put language in zoos to observe caged thought and toss peanuts and p funk at intellect. and motherfuckers think these are metaphors, i speak what i see, all words and worlds are metaphors of me" -saul williams
----------------------------------------

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Sat Jun-02-01 11:26 PM

33. "jeez"
In response to Reply # 0

I only met you once briefly, but through these boards we all end up feeling like fam. Your situation is why I'm such a strong advocate of artists and their issues. Label reps get so up in arms about their methods when you criticize them, but most of the A&R and marketing cats rotate more than the ugly horse on the carnival carousel. I wish you both the best - I can't even imagine how confining it must feel to be trapped in a contract.
Keep praying and making moves, cuz God will help you work that shit out.
Much love
Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

http://www.rapsheet.com
http://www.flashnewsmag.com
http://www.nativemagazine.com

"Stupidity would be a learning disorder wouldn't it?" ~ Tony Soprano

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

Venus
Charter member
862 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 05:03 AM

34. "I said it before..."
In response to Reply # 0

and I'll say it again - If I had a million dollars laying around, I'd give it to you two. Eff a record company and their budget! I can only imagine how successful the Jazzees would become if only they were given a chance to be heard. It only takes one hot single (that actually gets played) and a tight video (that actually gets seen) for a group to blow up. There are countless examples of artists that's happened too.

And of course, there will always be the haters that will try and bring the Jazzees down, but you know, eff them too. You're not making your music for them. You're making it for yourselves, and for the people that love you and have supported you over the years, and for people like my sister - who after seeing the Jazzees for the first time in Boston last month (I dragged her there) - is a bona fide groupie. Just know that for every one person who has disparaging words, there are 10 people who have nothing but love and respect for you ladies.

Stay strong Mercedes (and Tracey). Your time to shine will come. Stay up!

It's all love like Venus - Malik Yusef

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 05:38 AM

35. "when the jazzies were in mca"
In response to Reply # 0

set my jazzies go

this whole situation sucks-- where's LG?

it's frustrating as a fan watching you guys go through this, and anticipating a new lp. it must be so much harder when it's actually your OWN struggle. keep your head up mercedes. this bullshit can't last forever-- and it'll be good for the songwriting later on. that whole suffering for your art deal is overrated though.

*sigh*

shock
reviews moderator
(please read the guidelines before posting http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html)
(questions about okayplayer.com should be directed to help@okayplayer.com)
(you can reach me at bboombap@hotmail.com, or aim: shockdiggy)

babieboy
Charter member
38 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 09:44 AM

57. "RE: when the jazzies were in mca"
In response to Reply # 35

Much love and God Bless.

Peace

"Why wait till eventually?"
-BSW

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 06:28 AM

37. "*sigh*"
In response to Reply # 0

Words aren't going to recreate, in full, everything that your fans are feeling about your situation. It's clear, from the live material and the track that was leaked on okayplayer, that you guys are seriously doing your thing, and nothing else. Hold fast to that attitude, it pays off.

As a sidenote: what can we, as okayplayers and fans, do to help out this situation? Write letters to MCA? Anything? Let us know!

-thebigfunk

Is this really Radiohead? Get Kinetic:
http://www.angelfire.com/art/thebigfunk/

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 03:58 AM

40. ":-("
In response to Reply # 0

Squeamish kids, yall get the eff outta this post (c) Jay-Z

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin
homepage: http://www.Quez.Bored.org

"Put that Spring Water down man, you aint sweatin
You motherfuckers did a 10 minute weak show and you jettin" --- Kool Keith

"Kneel down, I'll make a nigga like you call me Big Earnest" --- Kool Keith

"A big dissapointment when I rub your asshole with a verbal ointment" --- Kool Keith

"I wasnt proud of it but I was a child... FUCK IT" --- Jay-Z

"Muthafucka, I pull your face off...
bout to show you what the fuck you look like" --- Kool Keith

oh well

goldenlotus

Mon Jun-04-01 05:37 AM

41. "INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Eff MCA. They don't know they have a pair of diamonds in the ruff. Continue to stay strong and hold your head up. I'm not gonna say I understand what y'all are going thru cause I don't. But I will say this, both of you are beautiful people with a God given talent. If MCA wants to focus on the superfacial, maybe the best thing to do is leave. Thank you for staying true to yourselves. At the end of the day, artistic integrity is what separates the you from them.

Hopefully you leaving means a better deal and not losing allthe work you've done thus far. If need be, we can do this Lox style, radio runs, t-shirts and the whole bit.

One thing to remember, everything happens for a reason. When in battle, you don't stop to see who's winning, you keep fighting.

Goldenlotus

MicheleQJ
Charter member
5380 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 06:14 AM

42. "stay up"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont know what the deal was with that 'quincy jones' post

you have a beautiful, moving voice - both of you

looking forward to the next album whenever it drops

http://myspace.com/139003080
http://www.last.fm/user/micheleqj/
http://myspace.com/alluswe
http://myspace.com/fermentedspirits
http://www.last.fm/music/Alluswe

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 06:22 AM

43. "Wow...that sounded like..."
In response to Reply # 0

>Just let us go. Please.
> Let us go.

The Lox vs Bad Boy

Put out those feelers and see what record company is feeling yall, for real.

***http://www.NativeMagazine.com : Ya heard me***

"You can't stop me now I done told yall/ When I touch down on this earth I'ma ball/ Yall think yall rolling hard (heh)/ Nigga I roll with God (and that's gangsta)"---P. Diddy, "Nigga, I Roll With God"

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

ABACUS
Charter member
1523 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 07:37 AM

44. "Evasive Tactics are needed...."
In response to Reply # 0

I love the Jazzie's music...been part of Blakc Lily for a hot while now-seen what MCA has done to all the Motive crew....it's time to use the last bit of strength and BUY out your contract....it isn't that simple, right ?? I know, but it's either that or rot on that god forsaken label....that way you can control your own destiny on an independant level. BUY OUT YOUR DEAL !!!!!!!!!!

Abacus & Eledef-THE FOUNDERS OF Urantie & Fantie Smoke (c) 1999

"Writing is breathing for me to breathe is to write/my only substance to life before I touch the mike/imagine being suffocated when your thoughts leave/and try to understand for me what it means to breathe"-"Breathe Write" Flo Brown

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" Mao Tse-Tung

"For whom do we aspire to reflect our own people's death?
For whose entertainment shall we sing our agony?
In what hopes, that the destroyers aspiring to extinguish us, will suffer remorse at their own fantastic success?
The last imbecile to dream such a dream is dead, killed by the saviors of his own dream."

Ayi Kwei Armah

"Eh...yo....PAUSE!"-ABACUS

"Decipher prophecies on inane species"-Asian Disciple of Original Mindstate

"You only a BIG BALLER if you got a HERNIA"-Thirstin Howl III (Skillosopher)

OKP KILLA QUEENS CONNECTION: Abacus, Kass, Dreadmedia, Wise_7, Kam4, geenice, Elephant Defecation, Jack Spade, madwriter, tynie626 , sacred earth, goldenlotus !!!

Abacus-also known as Flo Brown's numero uno fan !!!!!!!!

The debut compliation album, "Thoughtforms", from Original Mindstate Music coming to you soon! The album features Karniege (Definitive Jux), Access Immortal (Problem Child), Science (Original Mindstate), Loer Velocity (Writer's Guild/Not 4 Nothin'), Subst

fatlip
Charter member
1954 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 08:08 AM

45. "LOVE LOVE LOVE...."
In response to Reply # 0

nothing but love for you girls.

too strong and too beautiful.

I'm the offspring of spring,
reborn pledged and sworn,
the risen edge of a flag burned and torn.
I'm the blood of the womb,
the risen tide of the moon,
the darkside that the light cannot hide.
I'm the pages of history
read between the lines,
the living truth behind your symbols and signs.
I'm the son of a minister,
love of a teacher,
my mother taught me well, so I rebel.
-Saul Williams "Om Nia Merican"

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 08:12 AM

46. "oh man sis"
In response to Reply # 0

you inspire me

keep pushiing

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 08:32 AM

47. "Why did you sign with MCA in the first place?"
In response to Reply # 0

Just asking?

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Tue Jun-05-01 05:52 PM

53. "RE: Why did you sign with MCA in the first place?"
In response to Reply # 47

Why would you sign with MCA.... "in the first place"???? huh nigga???

Squeamish kids, yall get the eff outta this post (c) Jay-Z

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin
homepage: http://www.Quez.Bored.org

"Put that Spring Water down man, you aint sweatin
You motherfuckers did a 10 minute weak show and you jettin" --- Kool Keith

"Kneel down, I'll make a nigga like you call me Big Earnest" --- Kool Keith

"A big dissapointment when I rub your asshole with a verbal ointment" --- Kool Keith

"I wasnt proud of it but I was a child... FUCK IT" --- Jay-Z

"Muthafucka, I pull your face off...
bout to show you what the fuck you look like" --- Kool Keith

oh well

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Fri Jun-08-01 02:31 AM

65. "its a valid question, negro"
In response to Reply # 53

nobody put a gun to their heads...it was a choice and the situation the Jazzies are in now was part of the risk they took when they entered into contract with this major corporation.

So I'm asking WHAT & WHY they chose to take that path.

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 08:38 AM

48. "Please read this"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know how many fans exactly you guys have, but personally I would be very upset if you guys broke up or disappeared. And so would everyone who knows your music. You say that people criticize your "sound" as white-sounding? I don't know, but it seems very ignorant to me. Wouldn't people get upset if someone said that that white guy sounds "black"? I wish people opened their minds a little more and accepted others as individuals rather than trying to immitate and copy. I think that both yours and Tracy's voices make you who you are, and thats cool. Actually, you posted this at a perfect time, because I am going through a similar stage right now, but thats a whole other subject. The fact of the matter is, I do and always will support your music because I can see in it your personality rather than just a bunch of producers working with the "next hot musician". Also, your music is universal and is approachable by a wide variaty of people. For instance, I caught my dad playing your cd in his car. And he was loving it. People like you are an inspiration. English is my second language too, you know and I use it to make me sound like ME and not like Big Pun or Busta or Q-tip or whoever. I hope things work out for you.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 09:24 AM

49. "damn...."
In response to Reply # 0

:-(
that's all i can say after reading this post. i really don't know much about the music business, but when an artist starts feelin like this, i think its time to go...

WORD

FAVORITE VERSE OF THE MONT

nigga, stop being so got damn selfish..put in ya pelvis@ Andre 3000

, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

Bullshit-seen it, smelled it, look at it, abused by it, sent money on it.
See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now

www.myspace.com/darkaqua_30

alphee

Mon Jun-04-01 10:07 AM

50. "The art of getting fucked!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hah...I read your testimonial on the topic of MCA's neglect to promote your partner and yourself , properly. That's life and you are exeriencing first hand. I commend you for your brave stance against those bastards- understand they are where they are because they have mastered the art of pimping artists.
Don't give in, especially don't get depressed over such nonsense - which you'll discover after this ordeal has ceased! Every person whom has fought to keep their integrity has gone/or is going through the same steps the Jazzyfatnastees has exerienced. Eventually, you will realize how much stronger as a person you have become. Most importantly, you are an inspiration to all starving artists (and future artists) whom believe their material is worth more than what the music tycoons has credited as. Damn, when we were born, there was no free pass for success. It's a constant struggle where some of us lose, because we surrendered, or win, because of our relentless trait which will fight until justice comes onto our side!
I love your (and Tracey's) album. It's smooth and relaxing! I bought a copy for my cousin in Jamaica whom also loves it

To MCA- let these talented artists move to home which which will nurture their potential or support them better than you guys have in the past.

Peace,
Alphee

quinceyj

Mon Jun-04-01 11:49 AM

51. "INDUSTRY RULE # 4079"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmmmmm……I want to start off by saying that… I was not out to dis’ or offend anybody in any way. I spoke frankly because I thought that was what you were inviting your audience to do. Even so...I can be a little raw sometimes. I believe everything I wrote to be true so….Well in any case if I offended anybody they have my apologies. This is not personal….Just business. Straight facts.
Moles; I would advise you to keep your suspicions under raps. You’ll only destroy whatever relationship you have left with MCA. Don’t burn your bridges. Obviously…..I am not a mole. I’m just a guy that has seen a few shows. I doubt the Jazzies are important enough to MCA’s lives for them to start employing Moles to talk shit on your bulletin board. Also, if MCA actually thought any of the things that these people have been posting, you most certainly would’ve got your wish and been dropped by now.
Okayplayer: I am not an Okayplayer either. I stumbled across the site whilst searching for some info on Talib Kweli. I saw a link, “What the Jazzies are missing”. I read a few posts and thought I could add some constructive criticism to the mix, since you guys were seeming to be so open to it. You run the risk when you place your self in the public forum that people are going to say things about you that you don’t want to hear. This is a brave move. It’s braver still to actually take note of the negative points as well as the positive ones though.
I feel you missed the point in what I was saying. When I say you, I mean Mercedes and the other posters that have commented on my view. I haven’t seen any posts from the other Jazzie, Tracey, so I’m not addressing her right now.
There are a few things I feel I have speak on.
First….Your record company giving you a hard time, not believing in you, or not dedicating enough money towards your project is not a reason to quit. The Jazzies are not a major talent who have had their career stunted by a label who hates them. I agree with Mercedes. You definitely can sell anything with the right marketing and enough cash behind them, but there is still a difference between a Lauren Hill, or Jill Scott and a Britney Spears. Typically black artists don’t have anywhere near the budget compared to a white artist in the same genre. More to the point, they usually don’t have any budget until they start to become more successful. If they do, it’s because their management or lawyer talked the record company into handing over a chunk of cash as part of the contract. When you sign a deal, it’s up to you and your management to decide whether this is right for you or not. You can’t change up after the fact and expect the record company to tow the line. If your record company had breeched your contract or fallen short on any of your demands set down in contact, you wouldn’t even have to talk shit about them. It would take a single call from your lawyer to straighten things out. They would either end up paying you to leave or giving you what they owe you. Do you think you could walk into a bank, ask for a house loan, receive the loan and then three months later come back, “Ah…you know that house that you loaned me that $200,000 for well, I know I signed but, ah , I’ve changed my mind, now I need $400,000 cause I need a bigger house, give me the money? Record companies are banks. Actually they’re tax write offs for Alcohol and Firearms companies that masquerade as banks. They don’t care about your career. They don’t care about your message. They don’t care. Especially if your signed to a company that they have a label deal with. If the numbers don’t add up, or even worse, your labels numbers don’t add up, FORGET IT….THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE MONEY!! No amount of bitchin’ will change this. They have a fixed risk level which they will not go beyond. They wouldn’t change for George Michael, Elton John, or Prince. They won’t change for you.
I like the Jazzies, I bought the album, I’ve been to three shows so I guess you could regard me as a fan. My appreciation of the group may lie with one member over the other but…that’s life. I’m sure there are many out there that dig your thing. So long as I buy the record who cares. Now if I’m required to state my views on what the Jazzies are missing, I can only tell the truth as I see it.
I still think that the group would be a better group with vocal coaching, ( learning not to singing through your nose and throat and getting some chest and diaphragm up in the mix) some kind of stage planning ( as far as reducing spinning round in circles and jumping around on the stage). I don’t think I’m being to brutal or infringing on anybody’s right to be themselves. You are in the public domain!
The light skin thing: This was just a way of identifying one member of the group. It was not a dis’. I happen to be light skinned and proud of my heritage as a black man. I also happen to be one quarter Cherokee native American, and one quarter Puerto Rican. I speak fluent Spanish, I was raised a Christian, but you can’t tell any of that by looking at me. What you can tell is that I’m black and further than that I’m light skinned. You aren’t pushing yourself as all of these things as an artist, so why bring it up?
Soul: Well….It ain’t got nothin’ to do with church, though you can find it there. It’s doesn’t have anything to do with being black or Hispanic or part white part black. It comes in many different flavors. Soul is a depth behind what ever that singer may sing. A singer with soul has the ability to make the audience believe that every note they are singing comes straight from the SOUL. They have a genuine quality to their performance that can’t be faked. Britney may sound like Witney but only one of them has the soul. The Blackstreet boys may sound like Blackstreet but they ain’t got the soul. Sarah Vaghan sounded whiter than other singers of her time, as did Minnie Rippington, Jonie Mitchell is white, as is Bjork, but they all have soul. I’m just saying, I like to hear that. That’s all I’m saying.
Jill Scott: Well, I would tread very careful in this area if I were you. You’re right. She is dope, but that probably doesn’t have a whole lot to do with her success. Jill Scott should thank Jill Scott for where she is. I mean, yeah….Her Mom, Pops, Uncle with one leg, high school teacher with the Jazz collection, Bus driver for not crashing the bus on the way to school, Flora Purim, Betty Carter, Erikah and the Roots. But come on. I never even heard of the story you told and I’m in the industry. You can bet that those that bought her album never heard it either. Otherwise, they would be fans of the roots too, and they too would have sold a million, not to mention Erikah’s lacking sales. Jill has everything mentioned under soul above. She doesn’t need more marketing, better production, an $800,000 budget, a dance troop, or gimmicks, she has soul.
Budget: Anybody who says that $300,000 for a recording budget ain’t shit is trippin…well. It ain’t allot…but it’s standard for an unproved new band. Go see a lawyer, they’ll set you straight. If you still think it ain’t shit….Didn’t you sign the contract?…or did you start recording intending on going overbudget by $200,000 or 70%. If you did this in any other business they’d take you house and your car and maybe even lock you up. Did you even produce a budget before you went in the studio? You know your supposed to do it before, that’s why it’s called a budget. Incidentally, about 65% of records are recorded for under $300,000. Including Erikah’s 1st album, D’angelo’s 1st album, Jill Album, and a whole host of all live rock projects. Can you honestly say that every cent of your budget was spent effectively towards your album. Anyway, you shouldn’t be discussing your budget on a board. Bad business.
I’ll say again. You guys are definitely quite talented and can definitely sell some records with the right coaching. I would agree that you are a diamond in the ruff. You’re both very attractive, especially Tracey. You’re good song writers. You’re prepared to work. So what’s the problem?
On the subject of what the Jazzies are mssing: Well allot of people have overlooked it, but I believe you’re missing effective management. How did you sign the shitty deal in the first place? Do you really think that your manager threatening you business associates as well as MCA’s record company execs helps your case in any way? Do you think that various other people in the industry don’t sit around sipping Martini’s laughing about this? You may find yourselves being judged before you even show up for the meeting? Is the record company refusing to support and believe in you or are they refusing to believe in your managements ability to manage you? Why are they prepared to give money to acts with half the potential? Every single act that I have worked with that ended up blowing up, had great management. Why haven’t any other Motive artists blown up? Who has blown up? Who is even warm?

williebobo

Tue Jun-05-01 10:04 PM

54. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4079"
In response to Reply # 51

dude.you are spending alot of time on this.
do you really want people to think you are quincy jones?
do you think your elementary comments are meaningful in real time?
call me at 215 546 3777 so i can get in your
ill defined ass......for real.
we can tape the conversation and put it up on the jazzees site and,LET THE OKAYPLAYERS DECIDE......

1.THE HEAD OF BLACK MUSIC AT MCA APPROVED A BUDGET REFORCAST before the jazzees went over budget,unfortunately he never told his boss.
he allowed the jazzees to continue to record and the company continued to issue p.o.'s..... so it came as a complete suprise when NONE of the vendors,musicians,etc,received CHECKS AFTER THE REFORECAST.
when we inquired about this there were no straight answers,yet no indication that the budget would be stopped.we were told "it will be straight in a week",NOW WE ARE ON WEEK EIGHTEEN.

2.WE BELIEVED THE HEAD OF BLACK MUSIC.
he told us that he had never seen a project as MISHANDLED AS "THE ONCE AND FUTURE"
DURING HIS 27 YEARS IN THE REDORDING INDUSTRY.
he said "we really fucked the girls shit up".....no record in stores until a month after the release date, an 18.99 price tag for an album by a new artist,no video,no radio budget at all,no consumer ads,no street promotion(if a tree falls in the forrest......????????
he went on tell me that he personally took responsibility for this,he said "I DROPPED THE BALL.THE NEXT ALBUM WILL BE DIFFERENT,I WONT LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN".

3. i'm way too tired to continue right now.so i will continue this in the morning.i will suggest that since you don't know the particulars you might shut the fuck up until i finish with all my posts.

P.S............you actually sound like someone who has not distinguished himself in the industry ,so now you've become an expert......your constructive criticism sounds like passive aggressive hating.....so until tommorrow eat a half baked dick.

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 04:48 AM

55. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4079"

What the devil? Man, your post is causing major eye-strain.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 05:07 AM

56. "my theory"

quincy j is MCA-affiliated and he is trying to lash out against Mercedes for dissing his "fam". The one-sided nature of his comments (all strictly anti-Mercedes) is pretty telling, as is the comments about Mercedes' management. It's all very clear to me. Mercedes has aggressive management and Mercedes is 'aggressive' in the diaries, which most likely are read by MCA personnel, whether on personal or company time. A backlash was INEVITABLE. You fight hard, someone swings back and you take a punch.

Mercedes,

My advice is quite simple and something you likely already know: take the positive out of this situation. Evaluate everything this QuincyJ character is saying as the "opposite position" and seriously consider whether his points have any value or usefulness. Re-adjust accordingly. You can even learn from your enemies, underdig?

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

The Rebels are coming...be aware...

I make art as a humble attempt to communicate with God and make sense of the millions of random actions that form our universe.

Shockwave intro of the moment - http://www.onebadsista.com

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Mercedes
Charter member
88 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 09:57 AM

58. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4079"

Dear Quincy:

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands,why not check out today's journal entry?

Respectfully,

Just Another Artist

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 04:55 PM

60. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4079"
In response to Reply # 58

95% chance of failure. Not cool.

Will the list of artist that ban together be made public?

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Jun-08-01 10:33 AM

67. "courtney love is my hero"
In response to Reply # 58

that's why i vow to be an ent.lawyer that represents artists only..

i couldn't believe those passages!! utter bullshit!

Much love,
Kyle

much love,
Kyle

Even a Dollar can HELP..

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Jun-08-01 07:58 PM

69. "the struggle is on"
In response to Reply # 67

it's definitely about that time...the artists rights struggle in the field of recorded music is crazily overdue. courtney broke it down. anybody who gets a chance, head over to http://www.theredceiling.com and see how you support Sis. Love in her mission against the Big Five.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

Why do we hurt the ones closest to us?

(The Rebels are coming...be aware...)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Jun-08-01 08:00 PM

70. "IMPORTANT NOTE!!"
In response to Reply # 69

Copy/paste that Courtney Love letter (from "FORWARD TO ALL" all the way down to her signature) and send it out to your people...folks have to know how messed up this music business is for the artists, for real.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

Why do we hurt the ones closest to us?

(The Rebels are coming...be aware...)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 06:58 PM

61. "so you work for a label?"

you've sure got the mentality for it.
Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

"Stupidity would be a learning disorder wouldn't it?" ~ Tony Soprano

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

Finesse
Charter member
32888 posts
Tue Jun-05-01 05:32 PM

52. "you all"
In response to Reply # 0

get much love from me... I am a jazzy's fan for life.. I am looking forward to you alls future projects and I continue to play The Once and Future at home and at work.. stay strong sistas.. you all are beautiful inside and out!!!

"i mean, i guess i could enjoy my own...but that would be like nipple masturbation" --Mosaic

http://www.yourheartdesire.com

Lady_Finesse

tweet, tweet: http://twitter.com/finfatale
my other: http://eyeful-fm.tumblr.com/

taygravy
Charter member
6656 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 04:13 PM

59. "i'm not even a big Jazzies fan...."
In response to Reply # 52

BUT as an artist I can respect their struggle and understand what they are are going through. This music shit can be really disheartening at times, and sometimes it feels like you take a million steps forward and get nowhere. Believe me, I know how that shit feels. It can really eat away at your spirit if you let it.

Ladies, stay strong. I hope everything turns out well and eventually God will bless you.

A SIGN THAT LIFE IS GOOD

me: yo, what you know about Shuggie Otis?

him: he was a player on the Cali music scene in the 70's, i wasn't too big a fan though

me: yeah, i gotta cop that 'inspiration information' joint

him: well, luaka bop sent me a promo copy. you can have it.

me: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE IS GOOD, DAMMIT

www.theforeignexchangemusic.com

Kyur
Charter member
528 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 07:36 PM

62. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Peace Mercedes
you see me almost everywhere you go...and I always make a struggle to come to every one of you guys performances, cause as quiet is kept, I look up to you and Tracy, one day i'll be up there, inspiring someone like me that wan't to do all these things but is too afraid to take the first step, even though she's already on stage. No matter what I'll still be listening, as long as you have your fans, you all will always capture hearts and eyes

http://members.blackplanet.com/kimkko_thai
Peace V

consciousbri
Charter member
643 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 07:54 PM

63. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 62

nuttin but love for mercedes and co. but after the mca deal gets bought out, the next jazzies album won't see the light of day till 2003. by that time, the true jazzzie fan heads will be feelin jillys' 3rd album's 4th single. solid experienced management is key. No matter what the forum, burning bridges is 2nd grade childish material. Your MCA intern could be your next label's A&R.

not hating,

consciousbri

email: Stroll4080@hotmail.com
Instant Messager: gheto Prep4

On the inside since 2000

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Thu Jun-07-01 05:22 AM

64. "Hold ya head sista!"
In response to Reply # 0

I truly dig your music and vibe. I check for it every time I can, oh and best believe that your music is in those same bookstores, cafe's and etc. I feel for you as far as label woes, but first and foremost, you're artists and musicians. To me, that's all that matters. Credability and respect don't come w/ numbers they come with soul.
PPL hate all the time, they claim they don't dig, or understand just so they can be the spoilers. That is everywhere. Don't let that stop you from doing anything.
Hip Hop is underground, and it's huge. Why can't R&B have an undergroud, to which you are loved, and appreciated?

Be strong, there are those who dig.

Anthology.

******showing love to the sig********

"God wanted to change the world, so she made me a poet" -Unknown

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

mrvuks

Fri Jun-08-01 06:36 AM

66. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP GIRLS... DON'T CHANGE FOR NOBODY.
BELIEVE IN YOUR CRAFT, AND THE TRUE REASON YOU LOVE YOUR ART...

MY HONEST THOUGHTS (MY 2 CENTS) ARE MAYBE YOU SHOULD SPICE UP
YOUR SOUND, AS IN, MIX THE VIBE FROM UPBEAT TO SLOW ....
I REMEMBER THE LOOP OF UNCONVENTION WAYS... I WOULD LOG ON ...
JUST TO HEAR THE LOOP. #9 IS STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITES..
YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMMERCIALIZE YOUR SOUND, I THINK THAT WILL
RUIN YOUR SOUND.
ALSO, I AGREE WITH THE TOURING ISSSUE.. BESIDES LILY...
TOUR STATES... ALONG W/ ANOTHER R&B ARTIST..
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP GIRLS....

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Jun-08-01 06:40 PM

68. "wow..."
In response to Reply # 0

i dont often go to this board as much as i used to nor do i read the journals you and tracey have put up...

i really cant add any that hasnt already been said....i doremember you from the okayplayer tour back in october last year when you guys came to pittsburgh..white sounding voice? not even close...WHERE folk got that one from is beyond me and ridiculous...you have an amazing voice...something that folk should all know is that ther eis no "white" or "black" voice..there are only people with voices who have A GIFT andwho can TRULY SING....you remind a lot of my older sister who's also a singer--an opera singer. when she was younger she told probably many of the same things you were COUNTLESS time and told that she wasn't "black" enough...obviously my sister ignore that bullshit and moved ontowards her dreams which she's starting to achieve now.

it's fucked up that MCA isnt promoting you..that record labels ARE NOT promoting artists who REALLY have talent...HONEST talent. not talent aided by the use of Pro-Tools or some other program used to edit vocals, giving an "artist" who really has NO BUSINESS singing a platform to sing (insert a variety of arists here who are popular now who cant sing for SHIT).

but, maybe it's best you ARE dropped from the label...really. see if there are other labels that FEEL what you are putting out there and have the GUTS to stand behind you.

and, while you are AT IT, please take Me'Shell Ndegeocello (Maverick)/ "Pendulum Vibe" Joi (currently at Universal, I think)/N'dea Davenport and various other TALENTED singer-songwriters languishing at major labels who arent' getting the support they need to flourish...I hope Courtney Love wins her case..cause if she does, that will GIVE you the strength you need to DO SHIT....

Hang in there..there's always a solution at the end of the tunnel, and i know God is about to hand you down the one you want...

Peace and Blessings,

Ryan

"To be an American Negro male is also to be a kind of walking phallic symbol; which means that one pays, in one's own personality, for the sexual insecurity of others."
--James Baldwin

Gloworm and the Prospect of Having Sex With An Okayplayer:
"No Okayplayers have entered my body cavity thank you...and you can quote me on that."

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

MikeLove
Charter member
13221 posts
Sat Jun-09-01 03:34 AM

71. "RE: INDUSTRY RULE # 4080 . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

>As Jaguar says, I’m tired of
>the “what ifs.” What
>if they would’ve gone to
>radio? People often mention
>“Unconventional Ways,” what if it
>had come out? What
>if we were on this
>or that label? What
>if MCA really cared and
>understood our music? What
>if we could’ve spent more
>time on the album .

What if y'all would've been The Jazzie's instead of The Jazzyfatnastees? Man, that name souns real cool if your're around the boho/eclectic crowd, but sounds crazy as hell when 'regular' people read it on the marqee as D'angelo's opening act. I liken the group to a 'neo-soul Zhane'(sorry for the label) BUT THE NAME HAS GOT TO GO!

---

'I'm the hardest-working man in show business' ?uestlove

<----- The reason your team's players jump into the stands after a TD

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #15836 Previous topic | Next topic