Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwow...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15836&mesg_id=15906
15906, wow...
Posted by SankofaII, Fri Jun-08-01 06:40 PM
i dont often go to this board as much as i used to nor do i read the journals you and tracey have put up...

i really cant add any that hasnt already been said....i doremember you from the okayplayer tour back in october last year when you guys came to pittsburgh..white sounding voice? not even close...WHERE folk got that one from is beyond me and ridiculous...you have an amazing voice...something that folk should all know is that ther eis no "white" or "black" voice..there are only people with voices who have A GIFT andwho can TRULY SING....you remind a lot of my older sister who's also a singer--an opera singer. when she was younger she told probably many of the same things you were COUNTLESS time and told that she wasn't "black" enough...obviously my sister ignore that bullshit and moved ontowards her dreams which she's starting to achieve now.

it's fucked up that MCA isnt promoting you..that record labels ARE NOT promoting artists who REALLY have talent...HONEST talent. not talent aided by the use of Pro-Tools or some other program used to edit vocals, giving an "artist" who really has NO BUSINESS singing a platform to sing (insert a variety of arists here who are popular now who cant sing for SHIT).

but, maybe it's best you ARE dropped from the label...really. see if there are other labels that FEEL what you are putting out there and have the GUTS to stand behind you.

and, while you are AT IT, please take Me'Shell Ndegeocello (Maverick)/ "Pendulum Vibe" Joi (currently at Universal, I think)/N'dea Davenport and various other TALENTED singer-songwriters languishing at major labels who arent' getting the support they need to flourish...I hope Courtney Love wins her case..cause if she does, that will GIVE you the strength you need to DO SHIT....

Hang in there..there's always a solution at the end of the tunnel, and i know God is about to hand you down the one you want... :)

Peace and Blessings,

Ryan

"To be an American Negro male is also to be a kind of walking phallic symbol; which means that one pays, in one's own personality, for the sexual insecurity of others."
--James Baldwin

Gloworm and the Prospect of Having Sex With An Okayplayer:
"No Okayplayers have entered my body cavity thank you...and you can quote me on that."