Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22880

Subject: "Why are so many Black Woman un-dateable?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 05:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why are so many Black Woman un-dateable?"

"It's weird too, that most of my peers (educated, single black women) hold these contradictory standards when it comes to who they will date, and don't do anything to try and work on the emotional problems that a lot of us have that make us "undateable"........" quote from GEMINI

I thought that was a deep thought dropeed on us in the interracial dating post. I would like to spark some dialougue as a compainion post to Ms. Raina's(sp) post. As a so-called Black male i've founsd it hard at my university to find African'American women to date that identify with. I've always been considered that nigga on the other shit talking about Africa, politics, old music, history, culture, etc. When i'm the company of Caucasian women or Interantion female students, they tend to be more interested in me an i find myself involved with them.

I know that these woman inherently are not more intellectual than Black Women, but why do they gravitate toward intellectual Black men more so? (or why do Intellectual black Men gravite towrd them?)

Also why are Black Women so hard to get past that initial phase with.(i'm not speaking sexually either) Other women you can meet them at a coffee shop sit down and feel like you made a real connection. with a lot a sistas this mind game things seems to occur regularly. This whole i like him but i'm gonna act like i'm really not interested and i'll see if he'll sweat me. While other women of other cultures if they are interested they will let you know as opposed to this uncertain atmosphere that many Black Women create. I think that is why many Black men don't date Black women, cuz i allways hear about "mindgames" and
"i don't even know if she really likes me , ya know on the phone its all good then when i come thru its a different story (i'm not talking about sex!)" etc., etc.

At the same time, black women seem to be infatuated with status, (i'm mean a lot of women are) But it appears that Black Women sproportionately attracted to: Frat Boys, Athletes, Hustlers, Guys wit' nice rides, Catst' a lot of Dough, Entertainers, etc.
*****NOTE*****
before you go any further, know that many women of all different cultures are attracted to such types of men but what i see a higher perecentage of Black women value this more. For example at my school most Black girls are fond of Frat cats to some extent, But less than half of the White Girls on campus hang out with White Frat Guys and so on. I guess i couls on forevr but i would rather hear your opinions and such, so maybe i can met a Black woman i can realte to....

One

peep my band at

http://www.3rdeyevision.net/urbanorganicproject

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Why are so many Black Woman un-dateable?
Jul 28th 2000
maybe...
Jul 28th 2000
RE: maybe...
Jul 28th 2000
more like..
Jul 28th 2000
RE: maybe...
Jul 28th 2000
but see...
Jul 28th 2000
      True
Jul 28th 2000
      Okay,
Jul 28th 2000
      that's right
Jul 28th 2000
           RE: that's right
Jul 28th 2000
                RE: that's right
Jul 28th 2000
                     but really
NiaRa
Jul 28th 2000
                          not really
Jul 29th 2000
true
NiaRa
Jul 28th 2000
It could be where you go to school
cipher8
Aug 01st 2000
I'm confuzed ...
Jul 28th 2000
hey now...
Jul 28th 2000
      Plus
Jul 28th 2000
      RE: hey now...
Jul 28th 2000
      hee hee hee
Jul 28th 2000
Wait a minute partner...
Shellypooh
Jul 28th 2000
Well i need to meet you!
Jul 28th 2000
      Please don't type in all caps....
Jul 28th 2000
      Where are my conscious White brothers?
blue
Jul 28th 2000
      wow....
epiphany
Jul 28th 2000
           RE: wow....
blue
Jul 31st 2000
      ditto
Jul 28th 2000
The other perspective
Jul 28th 2000
listen to nay...
Jul 28th 2000
Court is Adjourned
Jul 28th 2000
RE: The other perspective
blue
Jul 28th 2000
Jul 28th 2000
      btw,
Jul 28th 2000
blue
Jul 28th 2000
           cool, I hear you.....
Jul 28th 2000
                RE: cool, I hear you.....
blue
Jul 31st 2000
Jul 28th 2000
Article for y'all: Is love color blind
Jul 28th 2000
Great article
Jul 28th 2000
RE: Article for y'all: Is love color blind
blue
Jul 28th 2000
      That's the "shonuff" truth...
mekka
Jul 28th 2000
           RE: That's the
blue
Jul 31st 2000
this has been an issue for years
NiaRa
Jul 28th 2000
and futher more/ some insight
NiaRa
Jul 28th 2000
RE: this has been an issue for years
Jul 29th 2000
WTF!?!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 28th 2000
well said n/m
NiaRa
Jul 28th 2000
*applause*
Jul 29th 2000
AMEN...
Jul 31st 2000
Why are so many black men screwed?
Ylana
Jul 29th 2000
RE: Why are so many Black Woman un-dateable?
Jul 30th 2000
To the originator of this forum:
Ylana
Jul 31st 2000
i think undateable is a harsh word
Jul 31st 2000
what school do you attend?
Aug 10th 2000

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 05:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Why are so many Black Woman un-dateable?"
In response to Reply # 0

man, i've often wondered the same...good ?....IMO, its just like the deal with black businesses, in order to support them and build a black $ structure, one basically has to sacrifice and put more work in to find a place thats worth while...with our women nowadays (and I should say our people, cuz men are just as screwy) there is such much 'mind games' I think its because they have been done wrong, or they ahve heard of folks being done wrong too many times, so they get callous, and bitter waaayy too early...regretfully... i cant wait 2 see the answers to this one...

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 05:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "maybe..."
In response to Reply # 0

...the "dateable" sister's out there just don't like you?

not to be funny, but why not just be you and date who you like. if there is a sister out there for you, she will come across your path and the two of you will click.

In the same way I don't understand the whole "no good men" deal, I think your comments are way too general. You may have met many sisters with issues, but maybe that's just the ones around you. In a world as big as this there is just about always a flipside to every coin. So maybe you should just look a little harder in different places.

I won't deny that there are people with "issues" but they come in all colors and in both genders. So why differentiate? Why not simply ask: why are so many PEOPLE so effed up?

This is not an attack, but merely an observation.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
step 1. inform yourself step /step 2. inform others/step 3. discuss the problem /step 4. DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/step 5. EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/step 6. evaluate how well the solution worked/step 7. start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
Coolest thing I've read on OKP recently (courtesy of Quinn):
"when eminem gets on the cover of some teen fan zine with nick from n'sync, kevin from bsb and sisqo, it's because america is more comfortable with a white guy rapping about rapeing his mother than method man rapping about anything."
-------------------------------

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: maybe..."
In response to Reply # 2

Spoken like a man just back from his honeymoon and basking in love!

Ill, while you were writing this, I was writing a response in Sexual Intellectuals, which applies just as well here. If interested, take a peek.

BooDaah, once again, welcome back. Your balance is always appreciated.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:06 AM

7. "more like.."
In response to Reply # 5

...a brother who spent way too many years in the same dating/relationship trenches and finally realized that if folk would just be themselves and
quit trying to blame their own inability to find someone on everyone but the person in the mirror that they might be a little better off.

again, this is not to say that the originator of this post is this way necessarily, but at the same time what makes anyone such a commodity that all the "datable" people should flock to them anyway?

(and thanks for the nice comments btw)

step 1. inform yourself step /step 2. inform others/step 3. discuss the problem /step 4. DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/step 5. EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/step 6. evaluate how well the solution worked/step 7. start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
"when eminem gets on the cover of some teen fan zine with nick from n'sync, kevin from bsb and sisqo, it's because america is more comfortable with a white guy rapping about rapeing his mother than method man rapping about anything."

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:06 AM

8. "RE: maybe..."
In response to Reply # 2

No offense, taken...
I just find it funny that when you step a sista and she play you, then next week you slide with a non-black (i hate that term) women all you hear is sell-out and shit, it doesn't bother me though. I feel you....

peace

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:09 AM

9. "but see..."
In response to Reply # 8

brothers and non-black folks do this too. it ain't a "sista" thang at all.

to attempt to put that label on them as a group (or large prt thereof) isn't much better than for them to call you a sellout for just trying to be happy.

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:16 AM

11. "True"
In response to Reply # 9

I mean i'm not rying to make broad sweeping generalizations. I'm actually not speaking completely on behalf of myself, i'm echoing thoughts of cats i met and such. I'm using these generic terms more for sake of convo which very difficult over the computer. I dig what i agree with you, completely because it is really not that difficult for me meet women at, all. I'm realy speaking in respect to observations i've made. But i reallty wonder why so many Black women aren't into intellectuals, at least many i meet? not saying i'm intellectual....i'm prolly a pseudo-cat....

peace

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:24 AM

15. "Okay,"
In response to Reply # 11

when you put it like that, let me answer you on a more specific level. I enjoy your posts a lot. But if in person you're as intense as you are on the boards, then I suspect that most women around your age are simply going to be extremely intimidated by you.

Also, there have been a couple of times when you've become really vehement in making a point and we've had to sort of stop, take a deep breath, and remember that we want to keep the dialogue going more than we want to quiet down people who disagree with us. But honestly, most college age women (in my experience) don't have the intestinal fortitude to say to a man they're on a "date" with, "Slow down, there! Let's talk this out without degenerating into anger!"

Ill, face it. You're scary.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:17 AM

13. "that's right"
In response to Reply # 9

no matter what you do, people who do it differently will find you threatening and want to change you so that you will be just like them.

Read through some of that post on General -- "Is Homosexuality A Disease?" -- there are some great examples in there of people just trying to make themselves right.

For some people, different is always scary. But when you find yourself being challenged, ask yourself whether there aren't people on the other side of the fence -- let's say you made a practice of ONLY dating Black women -- for whatever reason or reasons -- don't you think that there will be people who, in defending their own different practice, will come up with reasons why that's wrong?

That being said, I understand your frustration and I don't mean to trivialize it at all. But my best recommendation is to hear BooDaah, let people be people (even when they won't let you be you without comment), and find yourself the person (through trial and error, trial and error, if need be) who helps you become your best self. Ultimately it's not a question of what GROUP of people you are willing to become involved with, ultimately I think most of us are looking for a PARTICULAR person, and once we find that person it becomes pretty much immaterial what group they started out in.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:29 AM

16. "RE: that's right"
In response to Reply # 13

I FEEL YOU, I WILL DATE WHOEVER I RELATE NO DOUBT. TO BE HONEST I TALK TO A BLACK WOMAN I PU THIS UP TO SPARK DISCUSSION....AND GET SOME IDEAS CUZ I THINK ITS IMPORTANT TO HEAR OTHER WHAT PEOPLE THINK....i WONDER WHY CERTAIN TYPES OF CATS, TO BE GENERAL, SEEM TO NOT DATE BALCK WOMEN, YA KNOW....

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:47 AM

18. "RE: that's right"
In response to Reply # 16

>i WONDER WHY CERTAIN TYPES
>OF CATS, TO BE GENERAL,
>SEEM TO NOT DATE BALCK
>WOMEN, YA KNOW....

there are a ton of reasons, but they all pretty much boil down to:

'cause that's what they wanna do.

let them do their thing. the "righteous" sister's don't need to be bothered with someone who doesn't appreciate them anyway (the same goes for the righteous brothers, and anyone else).

NiaRa

Fri Jul-28-00 04:17 PM

36. "but really"
In response to Reply # 18

a "righteous" brotha or sistah should be concerned to a certian degree...

as i paint to the wind's breath
freestyle to my footsteps
and create till the heartbeat's got no rhythm left...
-archangel_500years

Amina... everything is honky dory
-mikeONE

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Sat Jul-29-00 08:14 AM

43. "not really"
In response to Reply # 36

why waste the energy? you're not going to change anything but worriying about something beyond your control anyway? the best you can do is handle YOUR OWN biz, and let the chips fall where they will.

NiaRa

Fri Jul-28-00 04:13 PM

35. "true"
In response to Reply # 2

-archangel_500years

-mikeONE

cipher8

Tue Aug-01-00 07:16 AM

53. "It could be where you go to school"
In response to Reply # 2

BT: If you are trying to talk revolutionary politics to a sista who is going to school to be a corporate lawyer you ain't gonna get much play. Or it could be burn out. I love to talk politics but sometimes you get so frustated in everything that you just don't want to hear about it. Maybe they are not politically active and don't want to deal with politics because it reminds them of things they haven't thought about too often lately--and they feel overwhelmed. Maybe they just don't feel ur game. There are many reasons. I'm a sister at Cal and I run into politically active brothers as well as those who arent't and I try to be blanced and self composed in what I'm into and not go around like I'm trying to enlighten anybody. I can only do that for self, If I inspire somebody else cool, but mor often others inspire me I think.

keep ur third eye on the sparrow-common

"flesh is full of holes
It is made to breathe
secrate receive
it is nothing against bombs and bullets
It is not meant to be a barrier against anything
But this dark flesh will resist you
flee you who believe
you are not made of the same skin and bones"--Cherrie Moraga

Who gave u/permission 2 rearrange me?/ certianly not me!--e. badu

Well behaved women rarely make HISstory.

http://www.homestead.com/waxrevolutionz/getup.html

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 05:58 AM

3. "I'm confuzed ..."
In response to Reply # 0

as to why you thought this would be best addressed on the Activist board?

love and respect,
El Rey

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org
http://www.mumia911.org

EFF A FAKE QUOTE! I DEAL WITH THE REAL (so if its artificail let it be ...) (c) Blac... awww, you know who

;-);-);-);-);-);-);-)
A mob is not autonomous: it executes the real will of the people who rule the state. The slaughter in Birmingham Alabama, for example, was not, merely, the action of a mob. That blood is on the hands of the state of Alabama: which sent those mobs into the streets to execute the will of the State ...

... A mob cannot afford to doubt: that the Jews killed Christ or that n*ggers want to rape their sisters or that anyone who fails to make it in the land of the free and the home of the brave deserves to be wretched. But these ideas don't come from the mob. They come from the state, which creates and manipulates the mob. The idea of a black person as property, for example, does not com from the mob. It is not a spontaneous idea. It does not come from the people, who knew better, who thought nothing of inter-marriage until they were penalized for it: this idea comes from the architects of the American State. These architects decided that the concept of Property was more important -- more real -- than the possibilities of the human being. (c) James Baldwin.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:00 AM

4. "hey now..."
In response to Reply # 3

...gender issues are allowable mr. okay-policeman.

(By the way, I forgot to ask in my earlier comment:

what exactly is the definition of "dateable" anyway? )

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:01 AM

6. "Plus"
In response to Reply # 4

I find that this is the place to get serious thoughts in response to a given issue.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:10 AM

10. "RE: hey now..."
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for having my back... Boodah and Janey

i think this is a petinent issue cuz it deals with society and if want to make it a better one we have to deal with issues that are symptoms of deeper probelems, if you ask me there isn't a better place than OKAYACTVIST to talk about this...

it deal with, race, gender, possibly materialism as well as gender roles and relationships etc, etc.

where would you post...

Also it is a companion to the Black Man White Woman post.....

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 09:02 AM

28. "hee hee hee"
In response to Reply # 4

you right, i'm on some policing ish today ( ornery policing at that!). I think i'm just mad BECAUSE this seems to be the only place that serious discussion happen and we should be able to do that anywhere.

didn't mean to come off disrespectfully

love and respect,
El Rey

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org
http://www.mumia911.org

EFF A FAKE QUOTE! I DEAL WITH THE REAL (so if its artificail let it be ...) (c) Blac... awww, you know who

;-);-);-);-);-);-);-)
A mob is not autonomous: it executes the real will of the people who rule the state. The slaughter in Birmingham Alabama, for example, was not, merely, the action of a mob. That blood is on the hands of the state of Alabama: which sent those mobs into the streets to execute the will of the State ...

... A mob cannot afford to doubt: that the Jews killed Christ or that n*ggers want to rape their sisters or that anyone who fails to make it in the land of the free and the home of the brave deserves to be wretched. But these ideas don't come from the mob. They come from the state, which creates and manipulates the mob. The idea of a black person as property, for example, does not com from the mob. It is not a spontaneous idea. It does not come from the people, who knew better, who thought nothing of inter-marriage until they were penalized for it: this idea comes from the architects of the American State. These architects decided that the concept of Property was more important -- more real -- than the possibilities of the human being. (c) James Baldwin.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Shellypooh

Fri Jul-28-00 06:17 AM

12. "Wait a minute partner..."
In response to Reply # 0

Black woman here dying to hold a stimulating conversation with a black man that doesn't pertain to wealth. Every black man that has approached me( not every maybe one)wants to take me out and buy me things ?!And most of them say that at initial contact.Can we talk first before you want to go spend your paycheck on me!!! WTF.Some brothers have no vision , goals , lack of spirituality .Actually the same gripes you have with women I have with men. I need a man I could explore every aspect of life with.

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:23 AM

14. "Well i need to meet you!"
In response to Reply # 12

I FEEL YOU, I DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE ANY BROAD COMMENTS LIKE ALL BLACK WOMEN! IT PERTAINS TO AN OBSERVATION, IT SOUNDS LIKE MANY BLACK WOMEN HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM LET'S START A POST! SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WHY CAN'T PROGRESSIVE BLACK MEN AND WOMEN CAN GET TOGETHER....I THINK THAT'S THE POINT OF THE WHOLE MATTER...

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:42 AM

17. "Please don't type in all caps...."
In response to Reply # 14

....it gives me a headache (seriously). When I read it, it translates to yelling in my head.

Now, back on topic (i'm gonna ramble, so stay with me):

>WHY CAN'T PROGRESSIVE
>BLACK MEN AND WOMEN CAN
>GET TOGETHER

One needs to learn to filter the sound from the noise. If you talk to 10,000 different people and the first 9,999 of them are ignant it'll just help you to appreciate the next one that much more if they have some sense. Patience is a virtue.

On a different not, pay attention to where you look. You aren't going to find a diamond in a junkyard.

...and most importantly, work on being the best you you can be and have a little faith that whomever you're supposed to be with is doing the same. again, if you're meant to be with someone (and some folk need to realize that not everyone is gonna find someone, and learn to deal with it) it'll happen. there is really far too much else to worry abut than something that you really can't do very much to control.

to sum it up, ultimately you have two choices:

1. actively search and understand that you may have to sift through (and put up with) a lot of mess

2. prepare yourself and wait for your mate to come across your path

blue

Fri Jul-28-00 07:04 AM

19. "Where are my conscious White brothers?"

SO WHAT'S
>THE PROBLEM WHY CAN'T PROGRESSIVE
>BLACK MEN AND WOMEN CAN
>GET TOGETHER....I THINK THAT'S THE
>POINT OF THE WHOLE MATTER...

Why is it so hard for progressive people of any ethnicity get together? I feel the frustrations that you are talking about and I'm White. Where are my progressive thinking White men? How many of the White dudes that post on this website are over here on the activist board? I may be able to meet a White man that has a similar intellectual/educational background that I do and even one that shares my love for hip hop, but I rarely meet many White fellas that are conscious of or willing to recognize the politcal and social dysfunction between ethnic groups in our country. I see a lot of White guys who embrace/imitate the commercialized and superficial characteristics of Black/hip hop culture, for example, but fail to self re-educate themselves concerning deeper issues and the history that led us to where we are at (the good, bad and ugly). It seems at times that my choices are either a White guy that has no clue regarding race-related issues (sometimes to the extent that he is very defensive of his Whiteness) or one that is trying way to hard to prove his "downness" (is that even a word?) through poor imitations.

So, I feel the frustration and I understand why a lot of Black folks on here express their desires to date within their own race. I think that we all want to fall in love with that person that can understand us best, and SOMETIMES that is the person that shares a deeper intellectual understanding of your heritage and self-image, someone who shares similar experiences and how they relate to our present circumstances. I haven't given up on my White fellas, but I am an equal opportunity dater so a brother of another hue could be the one to step up to the challenge.

Jill Scott says it best (that's why I added it to my quotes), "Said he want to talk about my mission, listen to my past lives....Word!" Now that's the first step, someone who steps to you ready to listen and learn before trying to get the phone number. I'm still waiting for that approach from a man of any color.

Sorry, I guess that I got off of your original topic. But I couldn't help tossing in my 2 cents. Peace.

blue

"Said he want to talk about my mission, listen to my past lives...WORD!" -Jill Scott

"Never question who I am, God knows, and I know God personally. In fact, He lets me call Him Me." -Saul Williams

"Seek to understand, rather than to be understood." -?

"My words may not convey just what I'm feelin'." -Vinia Mojica

epiphany

Fri Jul-28-00 10:46 PM

40. "wow...."
In response to Reply # 19

I'm a little late, but you are so on point with each of the replies you have done so far (including the ones below)

yeah, I know this is a post jack....sorry I couldn't help myself.....

when I first started to read some of the convo on here, I thought to myself, "oh my gawd, i've gotta respond to this!" problem is, as i read on, I realized that you eventually said almost everything I intended to say....which frustrated me because I didn't have a chance to do it myself, but made me completely impressed and excited because there was someone else who share a lot of my thoughts/values and was able to articulate them in a clear, concise, elequent manner....much love ms. lady...keep it up!

chez whitey to chez whitey, you and me gotta talk, for real...

okay, my clit-ridin is done.....carry on!

"the Pu-tang Clan!?! I loooovveee you guys!" -Hugh Heffner, when he met the RZA at a backstreet boys party

blue

Mon Jul-31-00 06:49 AM

52. "RE: wow...."
In response to Reply # 40

>chez whitey to chez whitey, you
>and me gotta talk, for
>real...

Anytime. Peace.

blue

"Said he want to talk about my mission, listen to my past lives...WORD!" -Jill Scott

"Never question who I am, God knows, and I know God personally. In fact, He lets me call Him Me." -Saul Williams

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 09:24 AM

29. "ditto"

I need to meet you. I ain't cheap but i never step to a sister and ask them what can I buy for you. When I meet someone I'm on the vibe I will buy things we can share. A dinner, movies, a night out, etc. I don't buy people with gifts because what would make that person special? theu just the things you do for them and not the things you do with them.

Sad thing i can't say i didn't meet any brothers like that. When I was at temple this one guy sweated this girl who was just my friend. he wanted to buy her stuff like sneakers, walkmans,etc. She didn't respect that and would talk about him behind his back to my friends. the brother had a problem with me because the girl he liked just wanted to chill with me and my crew. I never had a beef against him. I felt sorry for him. I use to encourage her to set him straight but she didn't. He began to stalk her and probably would have continued if she stayed enrolled in school. It just seemd like the brother wasted his time and could have used his energy to meet someone who really cared about him.

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 07:31 AM

20. "The other perspective"
In response to Reply # 0

More & more american white males are marrying NON-AMERICAN white women (or asian women) because they feel that American white women are too independant/materialistic/contradictory. If Spade wants, I'll dig up the stats to back that statement up too.

So here are my questions: how are the same white women perceived as "undateable" by so many white men, suddenly date material for black men?

Did it ever occur to y'all brothas that:

1) generally speaking, the "choicest" white women have already been scouped up by their white counterparts. Therefore the ones that are willing to seriously date/marry brothas may be "settling" and in that mindstate act accordingly. Being that the white population is much larger than the black one, this gives the appearance that white women are much easier to deal with when in reality, many of you have just gotten the rejects of white men. This also applies, to a certain extent, to other groups of women who date black men. IE, that korean who married your uncle (or the white man) while he was in active duty there may have been a bit more desperate than the sista in the US who's alone but self-reliant.

2) There is a very real strain on "eligible" black men ie: not/never have been incarcerated, living wage earning, educated, heterosexual, wants a black women (accepting of darkskin a +), not to mention just a decent, honest, sexually satisfying man. Therefore most black women who are educated, never/not incarcerated, living wage earning, etc. are in the unenviable position of greatly outnumbering their male counterparts. Historically, women of almost all cultures look to link up with the strongest males/the providers - YET WHEN WE ATTEMPT TO DO THE SAME we are chastised. All of a sudden, white women aren't materialistic - how can that be when the whole white male partriarchial system is set up so that women ARE ENCOURAGED to seek the mate highest up the status ladder? Sex in the City, 90210, Dawson's Creek, Cosmo, billions in beauty products etc. ain't popular because the majority of white women are anti-establishment/gender norms. The difference is, they have many more options, including our men.

3) Being that the competition is fierce, many black women who want black men (since our aesthetic is often denigrated "other" men aren't checking for us as much as our men are checking for "others") deal with any ole brother & often get screwed. Then they have to move on without holding the past against the next black man. No other group of women have held it down as much, often alone, just to get hated on for being able. All of a sudden, the characteristics we were required to have for black survival become liabilities. I have yet to meet a brotha who can honestly say that he can't get some ass/relationship with a black women if pressed - the odds are heavily stacked in y'all faver. What i do know is that most black men won't take any ole' black woman in the same way that many sistas will work with any ole black man. How often did people here "i want a mami" from brothas - for no other reason than mami's are in style lately?

4) Many brothas fall into the standard patriarchial mindstate - promote themselves on the basis of what they do & who they're not. Then get upset when black women use those same standards to choose a mate. From what I see, the problem brothas have is not that a price has to be paid BUT the PRICE that is being set by some sistas. Plus, how many brothas are superficial in terms of the appearance of the woman they seek (usually its the men that pickup the women) - how many "good" sistas have gone under your radar because she didn't fit the visual image you want. If you're picking your dates - or who you even approach - based on the size of her ass/length of her hair/style of dress/how cute she looks on your arem, etc. how can you be upset when a woman opts to date you based on the size of your bank account/make of your car/etc. It can't be said, that black women value monetary things more, just because a select few white women don't (often because they don't/never had too). Most brothas aren't dating most white women, they're dating a handful of the group. For example: the white men who persistently ask me out, always talk about how down to earth/less demanding black women are when were the same black women black men say are materialistic.

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 07:37 AM

21. "listen to nay..."
In response to Reply # 20

...she knows things.

i especially like the part about the "price" that women set being the problem that many men have.

damn I'm glad i have a queen and don't have to play these games anymore.

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 08:30 AM

23. "Court is Adjourned"

I think you broke it down completely thanks....
You really broke it down....

peace and blessings

blue

Fri Jul-28-00 08:42 AM

25. "RE: The other perspective"

>1) generally speaking, the "choicest" white
>women have already been scouped
>up by their white counterparts.
>Therefore the ones that are
>willing to seriously date/marry brothas
>may be "settling" and in
>that mindstate act accordingly.

I don't think that that is necessarily true. First of all, I'm not sure what your definition of "choicest" White women is, but I see a lot of White women (on all economic levels) who are very much mentally subservient to White men and in turn their patriarchal p.o.v. Sure, they might stand up to them concerning trivial matters, but when it comes to political stances and discussion of race-related matters the majority of White women I know follow the thinking of their White male partners. Now I don't exactly consider weak-minded individuals like these to be the "choicest" women that the White race has to offer. I consider them weak-minded because they are too afraid to stand up to dysfunction that they see perpetuated by White men. Many White women seek to fill the fantasies that men imagine for them and want a man that they feel protects them. But a man is only going to try to protect you from those things that he perceives as a threat, and to a large extent that includes Black culture. So, many White women choose to remain silent and/or ignorant to truths that reveal even there own victimization just so that they can have a man that will be admired by the larger White culture (ie: a powerful White man). After all that is what society tells us as women that our ultimate achievement should be, attaching ourselves to a stable White man (or a man that perpetuates the same type mindset).

As far as settling for a Black man because she hasn't been "scooped up" by a man of her own race, I have to disagree there also. Firstly, there are a lot of White men who will not date and are even violent towards White women who would even consider dating a Black man (yes, still in the year 2000 and among our own generation). So often times a White woman who dates outside of her race is marginalized among certain men and not considered pedastal-worthy. Secondly, there are a lot of White women who date Black men simply because it is a sort of militant action against White male dominated society. This is not necessarily a consciously divergent action, but I think that if you consider that many White women who choose to mainly date Black men are dealing with issues of self-definition and trying to distance themselves from White culture. I say this because you see a lot of White women who emerse themselves superficially in Black culture and adopt the dialect, expressions and styles of what the think is representative of Black culture and in a way try to camouflage their Whiteness and seperate themselves from White culture. My point here is that they aren't settling, but escaping.

We as women (of all ethnicities, but especially it seems, Black and White) have made little progress concerning our roles as advesaries in a game controlled by White men since the days of slavery.

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 09:24 AM

30. "RE: The other perspective"
In response to Reply # 25

>First of all, I'm not sure what your definition >of "choicest" White women is,

I would think the white wives/girlfriends represent the choices mates to white men.

>I see a lot of White women (on all economic >levels) who are very much mentally subservient to White men.

Don't disagree but I'm not sure how that's related to your 1st sentence

>when it comes to political stances and >discussion of race-related matters the majority >of White women I know follow the thinking of >their White male partners.

maybe because they know they have a winning stake maintaining the racial hierarchy. Most white feminists (in my experience) don't take black female issues into consideration.

>After all that is what society tells us as women >that our ultimate achievement should be, >attaching ourselves to a stable White man (or a >man that perpetuates the same type mindset).

True, so how come this brotha is talking about how white women have less of those values when you yourself state that most follow along with the program?

>Firstly, there are a lot of White men who will >not date and are >even violent towards White >women who would even consider dating a Black man >(yes, still in the year 2000 and among our own >generation). So often times a White woman
>who dates outside of her race is marginalized >among certain men and not considered pedastal->worthy.

This is exactly my point. These women are rejects (or rejected) by their own. Are you implying that most white women who date black men are "revolutionary" minded in terms of changing the current situation? I would beg to differ. In fact, I would say that most of these relationships result in the black person, not focusing on improving the black situation simply in order for couples to get along.

>Secondly, there are a lot of White women who >date Black men simply because it is a sort of >militant action against White male dominated
>society. My point here is that they aren't settling, but escaping.

Should that be the basis for a relationship? Also, how is their escaping assisting the black situation. Particularly when they simply take a pedastol position in their own situation.

>We as women (of all ethnicities, but especially >it seems, Black and White) have made little >progress concerning our roles as advesaries in a >game controlled by White men since the days of >slavery.

true, but it is also in part due to the fact that white women (speaking generally) haven't worked at dismantling white skin privilege & aren't willing to admit how much they benefit from it (even in their personal relationships) even as they are victims of gender oppression.

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 09:25 AM

31. "btw,"
In response to Reply # 30

respect for the convo...

peace

blue

Fri Jul-28-00 10:34 AM

32. "RE: The other perspective"
In response to Reply # 30

>>First of all, I'm not sure what your definition >of "choicest" White women is,
>
>I would think the white wives/girlfriends
>represent the choices mates to
>white men.
>>I see a lot of White women (on all economic >levels) who are very much mentally subservient to White men.
>
>Don't disagree but I'm not sure
>how that's related to your
>1st sentence

OK, I think that we're on the same page here and that's what I was trying to figure out. By "choicest" you mean in the eyes of the White man who chooses them. But I'm just trying to make the point that many of these women buy into the idea that they are the "pick of the crop" because they are told that they are by these men. These men deem them worthy in part due to their subservience. That's why I brought up the point about the subservient relationships that I have witnessed. So based on that, I'm suggesting that some (definitely not all) of the White women who choose to date outside of their race are not necessarily bargain basement. Perhaps there are some that are rejected based on progressive thinking, and by holding to their self-realized principles they are in my mind the "choicest" woman. I hope that makes more sense.

>
>>when it comes to political stances and >discussion of race-related matters the majority >of White women I know follow the thinking of >their White male partners.
>
>maybe because they know they have
>a winning stake maintaining the
>racial hierarchy. Most white feminists
>(in my experience) don't take
>black female issues into consideration.

Absolutely, but what I'm trying to point out is that White women's stake in maintaining a racial hierarchy does not but them as women in a winning position. It mainly furthers the power of White men, the same power that devised the patriarchical system under which women suffer. We are all (ethnic minorities, women, working class) victims of the same colonized mindset and Western-influenced dominance. And if White women allow ourselves to be divided from allies (ie: Black women) we are allowing our defenses to be weakened. The trick is for White men to continue to have White women believing that it is in their best interest to support their maintenance of power when it really is not.

>
>
>>After all that is what society tells us as women >that our ultimate achievement should be, >attaching ourselves to a stable White man (or a >man that perpetuates the same type mindset).
>
>True, so how come this brotha
>is talking about how white
>women have less of those
>values when you yourself state
>that most follow along with
>the program?

We probably have just had different experiences concerning White women and most of the White women that I am referring to in this post (the one's who are blinding sticking to a self-defeating mindset) do not have any significant contact with folks within the Black community.

>
>>Firstly, there are a lot of White men who will >not date and are >even violent towards White >women who would even consider dating a Black man >(yes, still in the year 2000 and among our own >generation). So often times a White woman
>>who dates outside of her race is marginalized >among certain men and not considered pedastal->worthy.
>
>This is exactly my point. These
>women are rejects (or rejected)
>by their own.

I wouldn't call them rejects (it sounds like a diss toward them) because I wouldn't want to be manipulated into a relationship where I am expected to limit myself to experiences only within the White community. If I were "rejected" by this type of White man than he was never the one for me to begin with.

Are you
>implying that most white women
>who date black men are
>"revolutionary" minded in terms of
>changing the current situation? I
>would beg to differ. In
>fact, I would say that
>most of these relationships result
>in the black person, not
>focusing on improving the black
>situation simply in order for
>couples to get along.

Again, I agree with you. I'm not saying that they are revolutionary minded in terms of changing the current situation. The women that I am referring to here are the one's who seem to reject their Whiteness by adopting another cultures superficial identity, rather than challenging the system head on they are reacting to it in a way that for whatever reason in a way that allows them to recreate themselves and their definition. I see it as a sort of unhealthy way of dealing with a self-hatred among White people that is never talked about. It is so deeply ingrained in our culture and our history as White people in this country that it becomes overwhelming at times. So what I witness a lot of White folks do is to ignore it (and limit themselves to their safe space within a White-centered mindset) or try to remove themselves from it (by clinging to another culture). My main point here is that for the most part White folks either refuse to recognize a problem or feel too outnumbered to challenge the prevailing opinion. Neither stance is self-empowering.

>
>>Secondly, there are a lot of White women who >date Black men simply because it is a sort of >militant action against White male dominated
>>society. My point here is that they aren't settling, but escaping.
>
>Should that be the basis for
>a relationship?

Nope. And I'm not applauding this behavior, just highlighting the disfunctional aspect of it. Their escaping only allows the current social standards to continue to manipulate minds unchallenged.

Also, how
>is their escaping assisting the
>black situation. Particularly when
>they simply take a pedastol
>position in their own situation.

It's not, that is my point. What most nonBlack people don't realize is that assisting the "Black situation" does not mean they are sacrificing their own well-being. If White folks took the time to read between the lines and seek knowledge and truth rather than lazily accepting what is spoon fed to us through the mass media and this country's educational system, they would see that racism, sexism, classism all are diseases from the same source. We as human beings need to step back a minute and stop fighting eachother and reevaluate the age old standards that we all are guilty of perpetuating at one time or another. And White people need to stop thinking that as long as Black folks adapt to the White standards that everything is kosher. Instead, White people need to start making the effort to change. Interracial dating can often be the result of unresolved issues concerning one's one identity. If the two people involved are trying to escape their culture rather than share it, then the "Black situation" as well as the situation of the White person (which is nonexistant to many) is unaffected.

>
>
>>We as women (of all ethnicities, but especially >it seems, Black and White) have made little >progress concerning our roles as advesaries in a >game controlled by White men since the days of >slavery.
>
>true, but it is also in
>part due to the fact
>that white women (speaking generally)
>haven't worked at dismantling white
>skin privilege & aren't willing
>to admit how much they
>benefit from it (even in
>their personal relationships) even as
>they are victims of gender
>oppression.

Yep, absolutely. That is why I feel so strongly about this type of dialogue occuring more frequently between White and Black women. That's is where it has to start. Our circumstances are dissimilar, but our oppression comes from the same source. White women may be better off materialistically by following the patterns layed out for us, but spiritually we are deficient as a whole if we continue to allow ourselves to be duped into being told what is in our best interest.

I hope that this response clears some things up. Thanks for going through my post so thoroughly. Peace.

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 11:48 AM

33. "cool, I hear you....."
In response to Reply # 32

and definetly feeling what you're saying.

Peace sis

blue

Mon Jul-31-00 06:23 AM

51. "RE: cool, I hear you....."
In response to Reply # 33

Thanks for the dialogue and sharing. Peace.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 08:51 AM

27. "RE: The other perspective"

what else is there to add? this is the reason I love this site...

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 07:39 AM

22. "Article for y'all: Is love color blind"
In response to Reply # 0

It really breaks down alot & brings up some interesting issues.

http://www.nationalreview.com/14july97/feature.html

peace

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 08:33 AM

24. "Great article"
In response to Reply # 22

really interesting. Seems like they put a lot of time into looking into the issue.

Beware, though -- what's true on a macro/group level may or may not be true on a micro/individual level. Every relationship is different, every person is different. Statistics can only tell us generalizations, and individuals aren't products of generalizations, they are, instead, in sum, the creator of the generalizations. Which means that some will fall within the categories and some won't.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

blue

Fri Jul-28-00 08:47 AM

26. "RE: Article for y'all: Is love color blind"
In response to Reply # 22

I think that this article brings up some valid points, BUT I disagree that there has been a decline in racism among White people. I believe that they have just become better at covering it up. I say this based on conversations I have either overheard or have been included in regarding Black folks. Don't be fooled by the political correctness, racism is alive and well in the White community. They just no better than to express it in front of you all.

mekka

Fri Jul-28-00 03:15 PM

34. "That's the "shonuff" truth..."
In response to Reply # 26

>Don't be fooled by the political correctness,
>racism is alive and well
>in the White community. They
>just no better than to
>express it in front of
>you all.

Unfortunately, we know it too and it comes across as "....why are black people are so sensitive?"

>"Seek to understand, rather than to
>be understood." -?
>
I saw your quote and thought of the the 7 habits are highly effective people.

Habit 5 - Seek First to Understand,
Then to Be Understood™

Learn to listen so that others feel
understood,..
Discover that by taking time to fully understand others you will be better understood in return.
Realise the courage to make yourself understood and obtain the results you want when negotiating agreements.

If we would all do this, maybe we would really have some effective, thought-provoking conversations

blue

Mon Jul-31-00 06:18 AM

50. "RE: That's the"
In response to Reply # 34

> Discover that by taking
>time to fully understand others
>you will be better understood
>in return.
>
> Realise the courage to
>make yourself understood and obtain
>the results you want when
>negotiating agreements.
>
>If we would all do this,
>maybe we would really have
>some effective, thought-provoking conversations

YES!!!!!!!!

Peace,

blue

NiaRa

Fri Jul-28-00 04:28 PM

37. "this has been an issue for years"
In response to Reply # 0

Immediate questions come to mind when I read this

1. do you know the answers to these questions and just wanting to spark discussion? (off the topic but just curious)
2. have you ever really sat down and thought about why mind games… or hesitation may be necessary?
3. How many African women do you have a close friendship with or know

Okay well… enough with the questions

It's weird too, that most of my peers (educated, single black women) hold these contradictory standards when it comes to who they will date, and don't do anything to try and work on the emotional problems that a lot of us have that make us " un-dateable”

Now I infact have also observed the same thing. There are a lot of double standards and a lot of hang ups… but that’s the problem right there in my opinion.
Maybe before we try to explore dating and serious relationships… we should get to know our entire selves as wholistic (non fractional) women. You can never NEVER have a healthy union with another as long as you don’t have a correct understanding of yourself, historically, culturally, spiritually, physically, emotionally…etc and I see this as a problem… Im not saying that we shouldn’t date until we have reached perfection… Im simply saying that there is a certain point that we must reach… a certain amount of growth must take place.

And as far as the whole thing goes with sistahs being attracted to men for superficial reasons… or playing mind games… or not sharing your interests…

Well I do belive that it is an observation and unintentionally a generalization… but we all do that whether we know it or not so no biggie right?
But really you have to, if you wanna establish a relationship with a “Black” woman, truly look deeper than the surface… which is also one of your requests right? There are so many reasons why we have these insecurity issues. And understand that not everyone in life has been exposed to culture in an acceptable easy-to grasp- fashion… and Black men are OBLIGATED… yes I said OBLIGATED to assist in healing the womb and spirit of the African woman… especially if they recognize that there is a problem. And the same goes for African women as well... this isnt just some topic that is "great for disscussion" this is a disease... you gotta wonder why we face so many problems in life as black people as a whole... well because we join in these incomplete and unbalanced unions and breed incomplete unbalanced children... this is one of the reasons why we cant bring ourselves out of the slump we in. how do we ever manifest a solid nation if the foundation (realtionship/family) is shaky as shit...

I have been quite vague so if anyone has questions or seeks further explanation let me know… because I do have the answers (not on some cocky shit either… but this is my life so I know it well)
Peace

-archangel_500years

-mikeONE

NiaRa

Fri Jul-28-00 04:45 PM

38. "and futher more/ some insight"
In response to Reply # 37

ultimatley as African/Black men and women we have no choice but to accept each others flaws and shortcommings, understand them because this will only serve as a guide to understanding you own personal issues, make the collective effort to heal them and move on. if this does not take place we are and will be infact doomed... but recognition and healing must take place because there is more to that "scheeming sistah with her eye on your pockets"... and "the unreliable disrespectful brotha with is eye on your ass" than there appears to be...

I offer this verse to yall

There’s been much corruption
Done to the African man
But for the African woman
The same is true
It’s not easy to understand some ones shortcomings
When you don’t see the flaw in what you do
But it’s not about fault finding
It’s about trust and communication
We will never join wholistically
If our minds are still trapped on the plantation
We got to recognize the enemy
Its not you, its not me
He’s planted his seeds so deep in our soil
That we can’t tell his roots from ours
Let alone the tree
We got a lot of weeding to do
I just wish that you could see
There are very few
That’s gonna stand behind you like me
You must protect me
In order to preserve yourself
You must be down to heel me
If you want to ensure your good health
Look in my eyes and see your own reflection
Look deep
Enough to see pass
Both of our masks of confusion
You will then find the walls we put up
Are just illusions

Peace

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Sat Jul-29-00 04:52 AM

42. "RE: this has been an issue for years"
In response to Reply # 37

It seems you caught the jist of this whole thing. I did it to spark convo which mentioned several times, i think its good to take an unpopular stance for the sake of argument at times....
Sometimes even stretch the truth to make it more interesting...

incogx
Charter member
517 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 06:18 PM

39. "WTF!?!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>I
>would like to spark some
>dialougue as a compainion post
>to Ms. Raina's(sp) post. As
>a so-called Black male i've
>founsd it hard at my
>university to find African'American women
>to date that identify with.

Yo, I seriously hope that this WAS in fact just something to spark discussion, because the views expressed were backwards as hell. Anyone who truly is a black intellectual will realize that certain black women behave negatively because their third eyes have been intentionaly closed. It’s as simple as that. And there ARE plenty of intelligent sistas who don’t play games. They may be outnumbered, but they exist. As a matter of fact they exist in every black woman, even the negative ones. They just don’t know that it’s in them. They don’t know that they’re queens, and a large part of the problem is that brothas are effin’ up, and not letting them know that they ARE queens. knowwhati’msayin? r u part of the problem or the solution? don’t answer that ...at least not to me. just think on that and answer it to yourself truthfully. i ain’t passin’ judgement on anyone,but I gotta say that we as brothas need to look at what part we play in these problems. And once again I have to say that a true intellectual would help solve the problem with those sistas instead of seeking something elsewhere. u feel me?

Peace,
incog

If anywon wan reach de badmon --> e me
at (smoovecog@aol.com)

Quotes------

“I never call you my b*tch or even my
boo/ there’s so much in a name and so
much more in you”...Common

“from amistad to amadou, attacked in the
streets/ the term cop really stands for
cappin’ our peeps” ...Tiye Phoenix

“no trees grow in brooklyn/ seeds need
to be planted/ i’m askin’ if yall feel
me & the crowd left me stranded”
...talib kweli

saying being hardline is what it takes/
to take life/ hiding behind your iconic
shield representing cowardice/ we as a
people need to cower less ...Vet

put me in ur corner if u wish/ but i'll
just be makin side notes on how/ f*ckin
is fundamental/ how to get corporate
america to fund tha mentals
...asighn4jane

“my wallet must be fully loaded/
semi-automatic/ justification of
assassination/ 41 shots licked quick
some miss but...they all hit
home”...incog

http://www.marcuskwame.com

http://www.myspace.com/inkogmrgone

http://www.myspace.com/marcus_kwame77

NiaRa

Fri Jul-28-00 11:03 PM

41. "well said n/m"
In response to Reply # 39

-archangel_500years

-mikeONE

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Sat Jul-29-00 08:42 AM

44. "*applause*"

C'mon now - you know I'm not a black woman - but THAT was some TRUTH!

I cannot tell you how many times I've heard the COP OUT stories that some black men have tried to feed me about why they don't date black women. Needless to say, that's not the man I'm looking for in my life either!

A man who cannot see past the end of his own nose in a relationship, a black man who disrespects and downgrades black women is a woman hater period. NONE of us need that in our lives.

I'm not calling anyone here a woman hater, but hey, if you tried the shoe on and it fits then maybe you should swipe that card....

Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

"don't give it out if we can't take it home..." Carmia

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

strezzed
Charter member
6529 posts
Mon Jul-31-00 05:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
48. "AMEN..."

"there is a lot you can find in a alost black girl..." common

that was VERY well put. And i agree i have met MANY intellectual strong black females, as well as black males. Maybe it is the people thatyou are attracting or WISH to attract.

Anyways - a way that you can be a part of the solution is the nip it at the bud. Mentor, black females as well as black males. Let them know that there is more to them than the way they look - and that intellect is sexy - as well as invaluable. Our females not only need other female support - but male non-sexual support as well.

****August is lil' pookie month****

lil' pookie on my "boys love sugar" shirt:

p: i know what your shirt means
me: what does it mean?
p: it means that boys love girls
me: and how do you know that?
p: cuz nana says girls are sugar and boys are cheese.

lil' pookie after mom told her to go to her room:

*seriously*
"Sometimes i wish i was a MERMAID!!!"

Be real!!

"who i'm eeea?"
aim - bronze elixir
yahoo - amorel7

Ylana

Sat Jul-29-00 10:53 AM

45. "Why are so many black men screwed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Since we are so fascinated with generalizations here, let me add this... Why are so many "brothas":

in jail/prison?
deadbeat fathers?
on drugs?
passing on std's to black women?
killing each other?
robbing everybody?
hot boys?
rock boys?
dboys?
bboys?
boys and not men...

Now you tell me who is "undateable".

Black women have been trying to hold the community/family/race together on the solo for much too long. Some black men are so brain-damaged that they find pleasure in berating the women who have stood by their side since...forever. These same negroes are holding black women accountable for their love for "other" women. It seems that when black men become educated/financially well-off (things that black women have surpassed black men in doing for years) they become certified in discussing why a black woman are not dating/marriage material.

The truth is that many black men have issues. Effective social conditioning and an ongoing inferiority complex has lead them to believe that once they have “arrived” they can become an honorary member of the “white” race by snagging a mate of white/other races. Black women have outnumbered blk men by far in college enrollment/college degrees/ and population in corporate America. So why is it “so hard” for black men to find smart, intelligent and sexy black women??? Because they are intimidated by them/aren’t looking for them…

*It is evident that black men are extremely materialistic, just listen to rap/r&b music. All you hear is “ice” this “moett” that “bentley’s,” “mansions” and “versace” in every other sentence. So where is the argument???

What's good for the goose is even better for the gander!!! I'm sure black women are becoming weary of playing the role of "Doormat" for black men...

"I'm tryin' to soar to altitudes unknown to man, woman or the most agile of birds"

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Jul-30-00 06:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
46. "RE: Why are so many Black Woman un-dateable?"
In response to Reply # 0

slavery?

not even being facetious...I think we as a people are more effed up than we realize...for those of you who have truly studied slavery, you understand that the psychological effects of that may not be gone for generations...

then you have the "channel zero" theory that chuck d esposued...that black women are lookign for ideal men as defined by the media...fantasy men standards for which 90% of men of any race wouldn't qualify. i often chuckle at the list of attributes I see when black women are asked what kind of man they're looking for...i remember one sister listed the following attributes (paraphrased): "smart but not nerdy, well-built but not overly muscular, funny, ambitious, pretty boy but not arrogant"...i mean, wtf? who's going to fit in all those categories ("sorry, jim, you were perfect, except your biceps are too well-developed"...bwah-ha-ha).

black men are imminently screwed up as well, though.

i don't care. i dig sisters. i'll put up with all the extraneous nonsense because sisters are i feel comfortable with...i've met cool women of all races though.

these racial/sexual discussion rely on overgeneralization though. if black women are "undate-able" to you, then by all means, go date some non-black women.

here's my question: is anyone ever convinced by these discussions? is there ever one person who says "gee, lakeesha, he's right, i guess dating non-black women is cool, after all"? if you're not convincing anyone, why even throw it out there?

Spread love,

Spirit
http://www.theamphibians.com

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Ylana

Mon Jul-31-00 05:17 AM

47. "To the originator of this forum:"
In response to Reply # 0

If you were half the intellectual that you claim to be, you wouldn't have a need to create a forum about such nonsense. Is that weak premise of yours the same pick-up lines you use to get girls?:

"Oh, Woe is me. Black women are so dumb, etc., etc.,...hold me?"

I don't discriminate against any man--I like them all! Many men find black women desirable, intelligent, sexy, etc. I'm just really sick and tired of black men like you making fools out of yourselves while trying to make black women look bad in the process!

Get over it--please!

"I'm tryin' to soar to altitudes unknown to man, woman or the most agile of birds"

reefdogg
Charter member
2870 posts
Mon Jul-31-00 05:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
49. "i think undateable is a harsh word"
In response to Reply # 0

but i have to say, in my experiences i have found black women to be much more cautious and weary of who they date, but i usually think that is because of bad past experiences with men, fathers, etc ... but i do feel your point of view, but it seems to be out of frustration ... maybe you just haven't found a beatufiul black woman that you truly connected with (i did when i was younger) ...

i do not exclusively date black women but i can say that I LOVE MY SISTERS, and i do realize (to the extent that i can) the emotional scarring that many have gone through growing up in this country where the ideal of beauty is still white and where many successful black males are dating white women (not saying that this is bad, but many women seem to see it as intentional, which is bad) ... however i wouldn't say many of them are undateable, just that many of them have their guard up ...

stay up brother .. you'll find someone ... and if she's not black but you two click, go for it ...

----
IM and ICQ name: reefdogg1 (number one at the end)

where my Jersey heads at?!?!?!

okayivyleagueplayer reppin Brown University and NSBE region ONE !!!!

"you're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution .. what's your contribution to life?" - J5

"the rule of allah is god's equality / i desire for my brothers, the same that i desire for me / but when my brother's stay dying, of everything else but old age / my heart fills up with what, RAGE!!!!!" - J-Live (thanks d_dog)

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 09:28 AM

54. "what school do you attend?"
In response to Reply # 0

does your breath stink?

your ass?

do you wash your clothes?

your ears, your hair, clean your room?

i know a million black women dying for just some regular companionship. these generalizations will only distance you further. you are no different than the white people that think all black people_________(fill in the blank). underdig? step outside your insulated world and explore other venues where you get a wider scope of black women to choose from.

or, just admit that you like white women better, and stop fronting with these piss poor excuses as to what is wrong with "us".

23july2000
u can't have my fire/they fear'd ur flame/& so sprayed caustic foam out of dbl sided lips/speakin like pale faces
w/broken peace pipes/U BLK/U UGLY/U
INK SPOT/which in it's translation of nigganglish resounded to/I AM BLK/
I AM UGLY/I DON'T HAVE IT SO I CAN'T WANNA LOVE U/beautiful transcriptionist u are...dark elegy/that heightens midnight stars/which pale in daylight
u spot of convection.../u say fierce real slow & be sayin "fire"/turn ur faces now to ur bricked bahamanian sphinx/look at her in ur wanton NEED
to be DARK as the meetin of mary's thighs/to be as BLK as sun spots
as UGLY as her heretofore eradicated nose/LOOK!!! at that blk girl gone blk
gone blue beyond blue beyond u
lookit fire y'all... leavin them w/burnt faces -k l moore
one...- the bad bitch asighn4jane

"respect my month or lick my rump! -fire da BITCH

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22880 Previous topic | Next topic