Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWhere are my conscious White brothers?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22880&mesg_id=22904
22904, Where are my conscious White brothers?
Posted by guest, Fri Jul-28-00 07:04 AM
SO WHAT'S
>THE PROBLEM WHY CAN'T PROGRESSIVE
>BLACK MEN AND WOMEN CAN
>GET TOGETHER....I THINK THAT'S THE
>POINT OF THE WHOLE MATTER...

Why is it so hard for progressive people of any ethnicity get together? I feel the frustrations that you are talking about and I'm White. Where are my progressive thinking White men? How many of the White dudes that post on this website are over here on the activist board? I may be able to meet a White man that has a similar intellectual/educational background that I do and even one that shares my love for hip hop, but I rarely meet many White fellas that are conscious of or willing to recognize the politcal and social dysfunction between ethnic groups in our country. I see a lot of White guys who embrace/imitate the commercialized and superficial characteristics of Black/hip hop culture, for example, but fail to self re-educate themselves concerning deeper issues and the history that led us to where we are at (the good, bad and ugly). It seems at times that my choices are either a White guy that has no clue regarding race-related issues (sometimes to the extent that he is very defensive of his Whiteness) or one that is trying way to hard to prove his "downness" (is that even a word?) through poor imitations.

So, I feel the frustration and I understand why a lot of Black folks on here express their desires to date within their own race. I think that we all want to fall in love with that person that can understand us best, and SOMETIMES that is the person that shares a deeper intellectual understanding of your heritage and self-image, someone who shares similar experiences and how they relate to our present circumstances. I haven't given up on my White fellas, but I am an equal opportunity dater so a brother of another hue could be the one to step up to the challenge.

Jill Scott says it best (that's why I added it to my quotes), "Said he want to talk about my mission, listen to my past lives....Word!" Now that's the first step, someone who steps to you ready to listen and learn before trying to get the phone number. I'm still waiting for that approach from a man of any color.

Sorry, I guess that I got off of your original topic. But I couldn't help tossing in my 2 cents. Peace.

blue

"Said he want to talk about my mission, listen to my past lives...WORD!" -Jill Scott

"Never question who I am, God knows, and I know God personally. In fact, He lets me call Him Me." -Saul Williams

"Seek to understand, rather than to be understood." -?

"My words may not convey just what I'm feelin'." -Vinia Mojica