Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742982

Subject: "Should I Watch The Netflix Marvel Series Other Than Daredevil/Punisher?" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 11:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Should I Watch The Netflix Marvel Series Other Than Daredevil/Punisher?"

got some down time through christmas so im going back and binging on the netflix marvel content.

i have the order of the different series laid out. but im only really interested in daredevil and punisher.

do i really need to check out the other shows? like is there some important crossover, cameos, storylines, etc?

or will i be fine just watching the big 2?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Firs Season of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones
Dec 21st 2021
yeah i heard nothing but bad things about iron fist lol.
Dec 21st 2021
      I'll defend Iron Fist-but only a little, lol
Dec 21st 2021
           Iron Fist S2 gets much better
Dec 22nd 2021
           Madame Gao is a magnificent villain. Danny Rand is trash.
Dec 28th 2021
RE: Should I Watch The Netflix Marvel Series Other Than Daredevil/Punish...
Dec 21st 2021
Jessica Jones is aight and the first couple eps of Luke Cage
Dec 21st 2021
They were afraid to fully reference the first Avengers.
Dec 21st 2021
Jessica Jones S1 is fantastic IMO.
Dec 21st 2021
*stands in this line*
Dec 21st 2021
yep
Dec 22nd 2021
Jessica Jones s1 "YES" and...
Dec 28th 2021
Didnt Netflix take them all down?
Dec 21st 2021
Everything is still up.
Dec 21st 2021
no reason for Netflix to take them down
Dec 22nd 2021
      Cancelled, not removed, bet
Dec 22nd 2021
           the only stipulation
Dec 22nd 2021
i would say yes
Dec 22nd 2021
i watched the following seasons in order
Dec 27th 2021
RE: i watched the following seasons in order
Dec 27th 2021
      yeah i binged em.
Dec 28th 2021
      You're missing out on The Punisher, IMO. Big time.
Jan 11th 2022
           thanx for the insight
Jan 13th 2022
Season 1 of Jess Jones is a MUST watch
Dec 28th 2021

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5180 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 11:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Firs Season of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones"
In response to Reply # 0

I would recommend watching those as well. But whatever you do, stay away from Iron Fist unless you want to be disappointed.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 12:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "yeah i heard nothing but bad things about iron fist lol."
In response to Reply # 1

if i check out jj and lc...im guessing i should dive into the defenders as well? (i heard iron fist was even bad in that lol)

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44844 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 07:48 PM

7. "I'll defend Iron Fist-but only a little, lol"
In response to Reply # 2

There's a certain, I dunno, charm to it.

Everything about Danny Rand is "bless your heart", and somehow that element works in spite of himself.

It's a weak back story with weak villains and a weak overall story. I was good with it for what it was, but I can't really begrudge the

I suppose the lone defensible element of this is Colleen Wing, who is well done, and to my understanding takes on a bigger role in S2. But I could be wrong about that. I never finished S1 and never returned lol.

Defenders isn't very good to be honest. May as well watch it just to complete that phase 1 arc and all, and it's dope to see them together in a few scenes, but that shit was not good.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed Dec-22-21 06:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Iron Fist S2 gets much better"
In response to Reply # 7

still doesn't warrant any more solo outings from Iron Fist but they honestly could take all the Netflix heroes and make a Heroes 4 Hire type show which could be very cool.

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Tue Dec-28-21 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "Madame Gao is a magnificent villain. Danny Rand is trash. "
In response to Reply # 7

They should reboot it, but the emo Danny Rand submarined this series and basically crippled The Defenders as well.

------------------
One Hundred.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 01:34 PM

3. "RE: Should I Watch The Netflix Marvel Series Other Than Daredevil/Punish..."
In response to Reply # 0

You'll be fine with just those two, but Luke Cage is too cool to leave out.

They can keep Jessica Jones. I only watched the first season.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 04:41 PM

4. "Jessica Jones is aight and the first couple eps of Luke Cage"
In response to Reply # 0

you'll know exactly when to stop Luke Cage lol. but really none of the Netflix shows matter in the overall MCU canon. their stories are very isolated and small scale

<--- Big Baller World Order

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 04:49 PM

5. "They were afraid to fully reference the first Avengers."
In response to Reply # 4

>you'll know exactly when to stop Luke Cage lol. but really
>none of the Netflix shows matter in the overall MCU canon.
>their stories are very isolated and small scale

The bootleg kid in Luke Cage said he had “The Event” on dvd. That was also my big gripe with Infinity War and Endgame, not even mentioning 3 powered individuals that could help with punching some fools.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Cold Truth
44844 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 07:43 PM

6. "Jessica Jones S1 is fantastic IMO. "
In response to Reply # 0

If all you do is DD and Punisher, you're golden though.

Luke Cage S2 is dope IMO and ends on a great note- which is the biggest problem because it reshuffled the deck in a big way going forward.

IMO, that first Punisher season is must see.

I love S1 of JJ, but never caught the rest, so I can't recommend them.

DD is strong from start to finish, though there are some issues.

Defenders is... for completionists lol. I liked seeing them together, particularly Iron Fist and Luke Cage, who had surprisingly excellent chemistry together, despite Iron Fist being an annoying character and a weak show overall.

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 10:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "*stands in this line*"
In response to Reply # 6

JJ was probably my favorite overall experience. Hot take but JJ's villain is the best of the lot IMO (though VD's Kingpin is a close #2)--just truly terrifying in a way that I don't think any other Marvel property has been able to replicate. We loved Daredevil and the Punisher all around though. Luke Cage suffers from phenomenal first halves, but manages to fail in sticking the landing in both seasons.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Wed Dec-22-21 07:02 PM

16. "yep"
In response to Reply # 6

S1 of JJ is up there with the first half of Daredevil S2 as the best of the Netflix Marvel shows, IMO. I also enjoyed its second season, but it didn't have quite the same impact. (didn't see S3.)

I was pretty tepid on Luke Cage until S2 and its great villain. not sure if it's worth working through the first season if you aren't terribly interested to begin with, tho.

I made it one epside into Iron Fist before jumping ship.

as for The Defenders, totally forgettable (and a criminal waste of Sigourney Weaver), which is a shame. don't waste your time on it.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Dec-28-21 11:12 AM

19. "Jessica Jones s1 "YES" and..."
In response to Reply # 6

absolutely, JJ season 1 is right in there at the tops of the Netflix shows imo (Villian is exceptional too) with the DD & Punisher shows. JJ might possibly be my favorite of em all.

Luke Cage first half of season 1 was solid.
Luke Cage season 2's villian stole the show, and is also worth a watch.

no need to bother with Iron Fist tho...

dont sleep on 'Legion' on FX, but dont expect the expected...its very unique in all the right ways imo, its also tops on my list.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 11:17 PM

9. "Didnt Netflix take them all down?"
In response to Reply # 0

They're not available anywhere anymore, right?

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Tue Dec-21-21 11:24 PM

10. "Everything is still up."
In response to Reply # 9

Probably have to google when they plan on decommissioning stuff but it’s all available.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed Dec-22-21 02:39 AM

11. "no reason for Netflix to take them down"
In response to Reply # 9

they own those shows, so it would be their decision to take them down or not. they're a bit too mature (language, sex, violence) for Disney+, so it's not like they're headed over there. plus with the renewed interested in their characters i'm sure people are going back and watching their content or watching for the first time. no reason to take them down any time soon.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Dec-22-21 08:45 AM

13. "Cancelled, not removed, bet"
In response to Reply # 11

Iono, why I thought I saw somewhere they were taking them down

As you were

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed Dec-22-21 06:40 PM

15. "the only stipulation"
In response to Reply # 13

was that Marvel Studios had to wait 3 years after they canceled the Netflix shows before they could use the characters again.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed Dec-22-21 02:43 AM

12. "i would say yes"
In response to Reply # 0

but i'm someone who wants to see everything. some seasons are better than others, but none of it is really terrible imo. though if you only watch one other thing besides DD & Punisher i'd say first season of Jessica Jones was the best.

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon Dec-27-21 06:37 PM

17. "i watched the following seasons in order"
In response to Reply # 0

dd s1
jj s1
dd s2
p s1
dd s3
p s2

i watched a defenders recap on youtube before dd s3 because there were some important plot points carrying over there.

the highlights imo were dd s3 and the punisher heavy half of dd s2. the actual punisher series was pretty convoluted and boring (especially s2). jj s1 was just a chore to get through for me. i wasnt feeling it.

the disney marvel series prolly fucked up my standards because theyre shorter with much more meat and little filler. the netflix series felt spread too thin over that length of episodes.

i see why i was never really that motivated to check these out.

Options
1013 posts
Mon Dec-27-21 08:30 PM

18. "RE: i watched the following seasons in order"
In response to Reply # 17

>the highlights imo were dd s3 and the punisher heavy half of
>dd s2. the actual punisher series was pretty convoluted and
>boring (especially s2).

I skipped Punisher as well after one or two episodes. I felt the character was already done right in DD S2 (which was GREAT).

>the disney marvel series prolly fucked up my standards because
>theyre shorter with much more meat and little filler. the
>netflix series felt spread too thin over that length of
>episodes.

just out of curiosity, did you binge these? cuz I've seen these criticisms a lot and I never felt that way. (I mean, some stuff could've been cut, yeah, but nothing was a slog for me.) my theory is that most people who felt this way were moving through multiple episodes at a time and the shows just really aren't built for that, IMO.

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Dec-28-21 11:33 AM

20. "yeah i binged em."
In response to Reply # 18

one thing binging really highlights...the repetitive use of certain plot devices. like i cant even count how many times someone was about to get shot...just to be saved by a last second gunshot or sword through the chest by someone else lol. it really looks bad when it happens every 40 mins lol.

Cold Truth
44844 posts
Tue Jan-11-22 01:06 PM

23. "You're missing out on The Punisher, IMO. Big time."
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Jan-11-22 01:12 PM by Cold Truth

>I felt
>the character was already done right in DD S2 (which was
>GREAT).

No doubt. But Punisher S1 delves much deeper into him, and does some solid commentary on the impact of PTSD. Some soldiers, quite literally, cannot leave, and this is explored to great effect IMO. I think we also get a deeper dive into Frank Castle the man.

I finally finished S2 and I'm mad I had it on the back burner for so long. Again, it does a great job building on Frank Castle the man. Sure, it's not like he's particularly complex. But he's among the most well written and fully-actualized characters in the entire MCU IMO, despite having fewer notes to play.

Each their own and whatnot, but Punisher is definitely worth the watch, particularly if you liked what you saw in DD. Of course, if you bailed after two eps, maybe not. But both seasons build out pretty well, and the supporting cast is arguably the best of the Marvel Netflix shows IMO. I like Karen as an ally to Frank much more than I do her role in DD, for example.

Madoni is also a star, rivaling any supporting character in the other shows.

Kilgrave and Kingpin set a really high bar for villains in these shows, and the central villain of Punisher can't measure up to those impeccable- impossible?- standards, but he's deeply compelling in his own right.

>>the disney marvel series prolly fucked up my standards
>because
>>theyre shorter with much more meat and little filler. the
>>netflix series felt spread too thin over that length of
>>episodes.

There is that, of course. lol

Options
1013 posts
Thu Jan-13-22 07:22 PM

24. "thanx for the insight"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu Jan-13-22 07:22 PM by Options

I really do like the character of Frank Castle and his unique place in the MCU, so I definitely *want* to like a Punisher series.
I'm still not sure I'll ever get back around to this one, but I'll keep your comments in mind.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Dec-28-21 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Season 1 of Jess Jones is a MUST watch"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742982 Previous topic | Next topic