Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12716322

Subject: "When people at the workplace pass away" Previous topic | Next topic
Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 04:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"When people at the workplace pass away"

Peace. We had this dude we just hired a month ago pass away over the weekend. Don't have any more details. Have any of y'all have that happen to you, where it's a person that you only barely met but worked with long enough to where you thought he was going to be around a while, wasn't "too" annoying, and then all of a sudden, he or she is just "gone"? Should have known something was up because this dude normally works extra over the weekend from home, doing updates to the PM list about his development change log. No emails this weekend, so he must have passed away later friday or earlier saturday. SMH

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Happened to us.
Feb 02nd 2015
at least twice
Feb 02nd 2015
At a former job we lost like 6 people in a 4-5 year span, mostly weird.....
Feb 02nd 2015
3 people my first year at my job.
Feb 02nd 2015
yeah, we've lost at least 4 in the 8 years i've been here
Feb 02nd 2015
yes, rest in peace
Feb 02nd 2015
My first job out of college the company president passed away.
Feb 02nd 2015
had a kid commit suicide at the last job
Feb 02nd 2015
Yes, I've had a co-worker commit suicide...
Feb 02nd 2015
we had a lady suddenly quit and died soon after
Feb 02nd 2015
It's weird not seeing my boyfriend at work every day.
Feb 02nd 2015
Oh yeah I worked with this dude too...
Feb 02nd 2015
Had an IT guy commit suicide at my job 10 years ago
Feb 02nd 2015
Man, I work in investment banking--we lose atleast 2 people per year to
Feb 03rd 2015
really weird.
Feb 03rd 2015
we (the office) still don't know what the CoD is :-/
Feb 03rd 2015
older lady named Fran
Feb 03rd 2015

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Happened to us."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/police-man-was-dead-2-weeks-he-was-found/nhThh/

I only met him briefly, when I was about to transfer here. I was about 2 days and he quit. Few months later this happened...rough ..

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 05:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "at least twice"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-02-15 05:08 PM by Atillah Moor

one was real crazy. Lady passed away (she was cool but crotchety if you know the type) anyway, she passes after a series of surgeries and her manager/supervisor puts out the most poorly spell checked document notifying the office she had died.

Now she and the deceased literally couldn't stand and maybe even hated each other-- fast forward several months and she (the supervisor) ends up dying herself-- in her sleep or something. Uncanny and spooky if you ask me.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 05:17 PM

3. "At a former job we lost like 6 people in a 4-5 year span, mostly weird....."
In response to Reply # 0

shit too...

A dude in his early 40's had a heart attack, one guy in his 60's died in a car accident, this young chick in her early 20's was shot outside of a bar by her cousin, another dude fell down an elevator shaft, another dude around 30 had complications from diabetes and died in his sleep, and another dude in his late 30's/early 40's suddenly died mysteriously and it was never really said what he died from, he never appeared sickly to me or anything.

This was out of 1500 employees but still it was spooky, I knew every single one of them personally, 3 of them I was pretty close to and dealt with on a daily basis.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 05:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "3 people my first year at my job."
In response to Reply # 0

first was a woman i worked with. brutal car accident where a drunk driver got on the floating bridge early in the morning. unfortunately for my co-worker, it was early enough that whereas normally that bridge is CLOGGED w/ commuter traffic, it was light enough that he somehow made it all the way across w/out hitting another car and then it happened on a curve where there was no way she could have seen around it to expect someone to be coming at her going westbound in her eastbound lane. of course the drunk driver lived despite a 50 mph head on collision w/ no brakes applied.

another was a suicide. depressed dude who i'd never actually met but worked at my job went hiking then never came back. the found him eventually with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

the last was another person i do work with. her husband was an avid hiker and he went hiking one summer day after getting off work early and fell to his death. so yeah, i guess i didn't work with him but having it happen to him hit kind of hard for a lot of folks.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 05:43 PM

5. "yeah, we've lost at least 4 in the 8 years i've been here"
In response to Reply # 0

one guy who i was pretty cool with, and seemed relatively healthy dropped dead of a heart attack at 43. that's the one who shocked everyone the most.

another girl in her late 40s was by chance in an accident, and after a CATscan they found a brain tumor. she passed away later that year.

a security guard who fell and hit his head the wrong way. never woke up.

another producer who passed in his 50s, died shortly after he left. not sure the details on that one

there might be a couple more i'm forgetting.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 05:56 PM

6. "yes, rest in peace"
In response to Reply # 0

there was this very quiet and unusual lady who worked for the company for 25 years. we didn't hear from her for a few days, and we learned from her family she passed away. it was all very private if not secretive. despite working for nearly 3 years together we may have never spoken to each other, but i was used to seeing her around and was always curious about her. after she passed away, i became the strangest person i know, which has felt even stranger.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 06:02 PM

7. "My first job out of college the company president passed away."
In response to Reply # 0

He was a very cool guy, helping me with my career and learning professionalism. I'd talked to him a few days before and he told me that I need to get some winter clothes because I'm going to learn about the Calgary side of the business from him. He went up to Calgary on a Tuesday, came home on a Thursday, had dinner with his wife for Valentines Day, had a heart attack that night.

Walked into the office Friday morning and it was just solemn. It was a very small company and he was super likable. We were given off the rest of Friday, they laid his body down Monday and went to the office on Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon an older gentlemen in the office has a seizure, but Friday he's gone.

I was 24ish, new out of college, and some of the most senior people had just passed away, one that was helping me professionally. After that the groups went to pieces. People started jockeying for power plays (out of only 60 people) and eventually I'd see myself let go with the downturn of the economy later that year.

However, it's unlikely if Al would've been around I would've found myself in that situation. Crazy how quick life can change, and how dramatic one life effects another and another. Highly unlikely I would've ever become the person I am, or be in the situations I'm in now without that situation occurring.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 06:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "had a kid commit suicide at the last job"
In response to Reply # 0

it was one the hardest thing I ever had to deal with at work. It was a few days before Christmas. I worked Thursday night and he was one of the last guys to leave. He was like 23 years old. Him and another kid were the last two to leave that night with me and my other supervisor. He was in good spirits. Left joking and talking about football. He was always joking around and never looked down. I had a holiday I had to use before Christmas so I took the following day off. That morning me and the wife had x-mas shopping to fix and we had just got to the mall. It was like 9am. I get a call on my work phone from the other night supervisor. I knew something was wrong. I answer and she was crying and said they found Steve dead in his closet hanging. So right away I told her I would be going in that night. Man I broke down in the parking lot. But I had to finish my shopping.

Then that afternoon I went in a bit before my crew got there. They had a counselor there for anyone that wanted to talk. All the guys knew what had happened before they showed up to work. He had been with the company since he was 16. So it was a rough night to say the least. What made it worse was his dad and uncle worked first shift. We all knew them very well. So having to watch his dad come back to work and struggle through his shifts was the hardest part.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

bibblegolf
Member since Oct 19th 2004
21833 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 06:18 PM

9. "Yes, I've had a co-worker commit suicide..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and I have another now that has been gone from work due to brain cancer and she doesn't want to receive any more treatments.

"The more a country produces..the richer it is...the better it should take care of it's people. - Dr. Aleida Guevara"

bayoubyyou
Member since Nov 06th 2005
17776 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 07:37 PM

10. "we had a lady suddenly quit and died soon after"
In response to Reply # 0

She had breast cancer apparently and said fuck it.

Just found out a lady at my part-time found out she has advanced pancreatic cancer. I mean...it's not looking good for her and she's not coming back.

ChiBrownSkinLady
Member since Nov 14th 2002
30211 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 08:37 PM

11. "It's weird not seeing my boyfriend at work every day."
In response to Reply # 0

We worked together. That's how we met. It's strange to not see him behind the bar. Or to just go home solo. He'd always walk me home or we'd share an Uber. He died about a month ago. I've only been back to work two weeks since he died, but there's not a night I'm there when I don't think about him at least once or twice. I imagine it's also surreal/difficult for our coworkers too because we're such a tight-knit group.

Just tryna do the best that I can with what it is I have...

Billy Ray Valentine
Member since Jul 08th 2005
675 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 08:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Oh yeah I worked with this dude too..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2001/Community-Dealing-With-Ballpark-Murder/id-36f5f844dd86e32e68484713e74c581b

"when I was growin' up if we wanted a jacuzzi we had to fart in the tub!"

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 09:04 PM

13. "Had an IT guy commit suicide at my job 10 years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe longer. I didn't know much about him but he seemed like a sweet dude, even though I only interacted with him for 2 minutes at a time when he would come into my studio to fix a computer or sound board. He had a lovely southern accent and a thick bristly mustache. Everything around his death was so hush hush... there was no one to commiserate with about it. RIP Tim.

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 08:57 AM

14. "Man, I work in investment banking--we lose atleast 2 people per year to"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-03-15 09:00 AM by Fishgrease

suicide.

(2008)the year of the federal bailout we had counselors on deck and paid days off to go see therapist.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 09:24 AM

15. "really weird."
In response to Reply # 0

i used to work for a guy named vito. he was a asshole. or maybe im an asshole. either way i wouldnt lie & say i'd go out w/ the guy after work, he did his job, i did mine but you know. he knew his business & you had to respect him

45 yr old or so. wife & 5 yr old daughter...around mines age now that I think abt it

one wknd he was doing a favor for a neighbor & taking a look at his roof...slipped right off...landed on his head.

held on for a few days, died the following friday

everybody went to his funeral but me.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing? - Corey
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 04:41 PM

16. "we (the office) still don't know what the CoD is :-/"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-03-15 04:42 PM by Allah

Funeral is tomorrow. A few of us are going.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

afropuff
Charter member
7580 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 09:40 PM

17. "older lady named Fran"
In response to Reply # 0

sweet, former smoker, had a gravelly voice, quintessential Brooklyn New York accent like an old school telephone operator. i will never forget her voice cuz we were kind of in a call center so she was always on the phone.

the manager of the place was a smoker and he was always catching lingering colds and coming in the place coughing all over us. i mentioned it many times that he should stay home when he was sick.

so anyway Fran caught one of his colds, and due to her being older and a former smoker herself, her lungs weren't good. her cold lasted on & on, she got pneumonia, she actually had to go stay in a short term rehab type of place cuz her health got really bad.... and she never came back.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12716322 Previous topic | Next topic