Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy first job out of college the company president passed away.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12716322&mesg_id=12716381
12716381, My first job out of college the company president passed away.
Posted by MEAT, Mon Feb-02-15 06:02 PM
He was a very cool guy, helping me with my career and learning professionalism. I'd talked to him a few days before and he told me that I need to get some winter clothes because I'm going to learn about the Calgary side of the business from him. He went up to Calgary on a Tuesday, came home on a Thursday, had dinner with his wife for Valentines Day, had a heart attack that night.

Walked into the office Friday morning and it was just solemn. It was a very small company and he was super likable. We were given off the rest of Friday, they laid his body down Monday and went to the office on Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon an older gentlemen in the office has a seizure, but Friday he's gone.

I was 24ish, new out of college, and some of the most senior people had just passed away, one that was helping me professionally. After that the groups went to pieces. People started jockeying for power plays (out of only 60 people) and eventually I'd see myself let go with the downturn of the economy later that year.

However, it's unlikely if Al would've been around I would've found myself in that situation. Crazy how quick life can change, and how dramatic one life effects another and another. Highly unlikely I would've ever become the person I am, or be in the situations I'm in now without that situation occurring.