Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #5533

Subject: "this old man....he played six" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 05:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"this old man....he played six"

ok---so i wake up yesterday
already feeling defeated for even what i will admit (thanks for playin nice scrapluv et al but i will call a spade a spade) was the 3rd worst show in roots history (1st when we got booed at our "homecoming" show at lincoln U in 95, and when murphy's law took over on the last show of the jeru/roots rhode island show (mal's keyboard didn't work, right speaker went out, hub's amp blew, riq's voice was out, audience was ice cold, and riq added fuel to fire by performing whole show with back towards audience.)---

don't get me wrong....the show was kick ass...

but you could never tell me in a million years that the act to get the least response would be the friggin headliners.

so already i was depressed.

this ain't over.

"pete and cl ain't coming" no reason no nothing. i was thrown only because pete and i was talking about doing a beat society portion in which he and fusion would make beats live on stage. don't panic nyc and dc--i just think something went down yesterday---so i hope.

so i go in panic mode--special ed? lyte? nice and smooth?!?!? they will riot if i don't have a ledgend portion!!!!!!!

no dice....i got 2 hours to reherse the cats and ass kick later on. we refine some of the new songs so that they come off more smooth. we are satisfied.

"whussup man" j live greets me.

except he is talking like yoda instead of j-live.

he lost his voice. oh god no. i NEED him to rock tonight. he provides one of the highlights for the few people who are weened on 106 and park (i will not use the word "idiot" no more) he says he's cool. my day is telling me otherwise.

someone taps me on the shoulder...."good news!! we got schooly d!"

whooo hooo!!! we can do his stuff easily!!!! the audience will be pleased (more on that later)

i see vast air's dj to tell him that maybe he should do his cool routine on tonight's set.

can't. he needs a special mixer and some records and a salt shaker.

salt shaker?

damn!!!

the show goes off a little better than before--i keep forgetting that new songs don't register as hype as familiar songs.

then j-live comes.

he starts with his barritone scratched voice and in a quick 2 minutes---he turns into elmo.

damn!! lord please make this night go right.

---we go smooth with the transitions....and then...here comes schoolly.

for those who were there last night.

schooly.

schooly we hardly new ye.

i don't know what happened. i told the crowd last night that i swore that ashton kutcher was gonna come out last night and punk us.

he was not drunk y'all.

for those of you that wonder what life is like with our beloved pal (the one we told him to master his you know what)---you now have a clue. school had glasses on but if you could see his puipils roll to the back of his head. and now he is headed towards my drum set.

i mean this was past embarrasment. this was.....

genius?

he did the alphabet first....

"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP....QRS....TUV.....WXY and Z..."

then he did this old man.

"this old man, he played one....he played knick knack on my thumb with a....."

he went all the way to 7 people. i aint seen no shit like this since......riq and odb back at our last irving plaza show. the same irving plaza show that got us banned for 7 years (dirty fucked shit up for us)

how do we even follow something like that? not one peep for pete or CL....

skillz came and fumbled 2003. but its all cool, he freestyled ish and it came off lovely.

then my new hero phonte from LB and jean grae salsa dance on "so fabulous"

salsa dance.

cot damn....phonte and jean were like fred and ginger. i was jealous. my last girlfriend taught me how to salsa dance but i never utilized it to full effect. watching those two last night was like watching dirty dancing/dance with me (you know that vanessa williams salsa joint?)---

and then the 18 verse "clones".

all and all.....this was a RARE ass show. i had fun while panicing at the same time.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol
Dec 31st 2003
um no i posted 7 minutes before you
Dec 31st 2003
damn i missed what they do
Dec 31st 2003
Never seen a bad one!
Jan 05th 2004
Monday was fine
Dec 31st 2003
oh shit i forgot all about J-live going hoarse
Dec 31st 2003
i'm confused too
Dec 31st 2003
      but that's just pure evil.
Dec 31st 2003
      i'll fly out from Cali for that
Jan 05th 2004
      Odd...thougth that was gonna happen this tour...
Dec 31st 2003
      damn...i missed "what they do"
Dec 31st 2003
      RE: damn...i missed "what they do"
Dec 31st 2003
Dec 31st 2003
           RE: damn...i missed "Essaywhuman?!"... NOOOOO!!!!!
Jan 05th 2004
           why yall not coming to the no
Dec 31st 2003
           what?!? awww man... I would have snapped!
Dec 31st 2003
Jan 02nd 2004
      Damn homie...
Dec 31st 2003
      RE: i wanna do 7 nights
Dec 31st 2003
      A lot of newbies in the crowd
Dec 31st 2003
      ...fuck
Dec 31st 2003
      salsa section ???
Jan 01st 2004
      RE: i'm confused too
Jan 01st 2004
      7 days of Soul
Jan 05th 2004
      pretty please
Jan 01st 2004
      RE: i'm confused too
Jan 05th 2004
      this was MY idea
Jan 05th 2004
      RE: i will be upfront
Jan 06th 2004
I still can't stop laughing
Dec 31st 2003
monday night
Dec 31st 2003
fuck that...clones was awesome!
Dec 31st 2003
oh yeah
Dec 31st 2003
RE: fuck that...clones was awesome!
Dec 31st 2003
uuummm
Dec 31st 2003
no!!!
Dec 31st 2003
      do the show in no
Dec 31st 2003
      et al. =
Dec 31st 2003
      i'll take u're word for it...
Dec 31st 2003
RE: this old man....he played six
Dec 31st 2003
well, tomorrow should be fun
Dec 31st 2003
my still attached ticket stub
Dec 31st 2003
here's to hoping you get better quick
Dec 31st 2003
comedy
Dec 31st 2003
Dec 31st 2003
Dec 31st 2003
schooly held up his end?
Dec 31st 2003
8th and butler!
Jan 01st 2004
      what about 5th and luzerne
Jan 06th 2004
Am I the only one who thought Lif sounded like.......
Dec 31st 2003
Am I the only one who thought Aesop sounded like.......
Dec 31st 2003
      lol
Jan 05th 2004
Dec 31st 2003
saw you after the show Monday on South Street
Dec 31st 2003
      RE: saw you after the show Monday on South Street
Dec 31st 2003
      damn I wish I was solo that night
Dec 31st 2003
      RE: saw you after the show Monday on South Street
Dec 31st 2003
      you're potentially throwing salt by mentioning it here,
Dec 31st 2003
      THE BLAST
Jan 01st 2004
           LOL I fear this may be to cryptic for the person
Jan 05th 2004
Dec 31st 2003
Good lord.
Dec 31st 2003
RE: Good lord.
Dec 31st 2003
First off I start with a thank you
Dec 31st 2003
I hate living in TX sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 31st 2003
Dec 31st 2003
lol
Dec 31st 2003
actually..it was philly's own
Dec 31st 2003
      RE: actually..it was philly's own
Dec 31st 2003
           rotfl @ cornhustler
Dec 31st 2003
           Cornhustler
Dec 31st 2003
           Cornhustler
Dec 31st 2003
           yikes
Jan 01st 2004
                RE: yikes
Jan 01st 2004
Jan 03rd 2004
                one mo gin...
Jan 05th 2004

Jan 05th 2004
Jan 06th 2004
                werd. i am in the midwest and i get mad when we...
Jan 07th 2004
schooly d LINK:
Dec 31st 2003
Reading this has made me officially..
Dec 31st 2003
Dec 31st 2003
This is the funniest shit, I'd pay for...
Jan 01st 2004
Jan 01st 2004
I refuse to believe that Schooly D...
Jan 01st 2004
RE: I refuse to believe that Schooly D...
Jan 01st 2004
I guess this means........
Jan 01st 2004
dude go write a Roots song book
Jan 02nd 2004
Swept Away
Jan 05th 2004
40 bucks for a dvd or vhs copy of the antics
Jan 05th 2004
That RI Show lol
Jan 05th 2004
YO SCHOOLY D did the theme song for AQUATEEN
Jan 05th 2004
wow
Jan 06th 2004
i was disappointed at the first show in philly
Jan 06th 2004

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 05:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0

i see all of us posted at the same time about last nights show....

lol.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 05:59 AM

2. "um no i posted 7 minutes before you"
In response to Reply # 1

and now nobody gonna look at my post

lol

ok now i'll go back and read what you wrote cuz i was so verklempt i scrolled down

d

"How do you finish an album when theres no time to finish an album because you have to make money to live so you can try and finish an album and then make sure the album sells so you have to tour to sell the album that you cant finish? " - Jean Grae

::: The Feature Film coming soon on Full Circle Pictures

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

GangStarr
Charter member
2341 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:48 AM

43. "damn i missed what they do"
In response to Reply # 2

i want to hear what they do and silent treatment in the same show, shit would be bananas

chocolatestar
Member since Dec 01st 2003
124 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 08:14 AM

74. "Never seen a bad one!"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Jan-05-04 08:16 AM

I have been to 6 roots concerts most recent the sprite liquid mix and i have never seen a bad one.....take it from a perfectionist i know how it is when something goes wrong and it always seems like a domino effect.....but take it from this faithful roots fan ...you all are the best of the best in hip hop ...i was happy to see that you all got nominated for a grammy for best rap album....(maybe once the music evolves you will win) who knows..but...it ain't about what happens it is how you work under pressure...can you take it?

oh yeah how can i get my hands on some backstage when you come and give me a taste of the tippin point?

STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR EVERYTHING
-CHICAGO 7

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:03 AM

3. "Monday was fine"
In response to Reply # 0

Reaction was stronger to your opening set since everyone was hype for the show.
End of the show though - closing music was strong of course but the way y'all left the stage and had Thought out there talking all by his lonesome was kind of odd. I think the crowd was just a litle confused by that more than anything else.

Only thing I was bummed about was that little dude's mic was off/broken and the situation only got rectified AFTER he finished hisverse.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Damali
35865 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:04 AM

4. "oh shit i forgot all about J-live going hoarse"
In response to Reply # 0

the audience gave him love for finishing the song tho...

and the salsa dance was classic. They had a lil trouble getting sycronized at first but then they hooked it up lovely. Definitely a highlight of the show

i have to admit that i did notice the lack of response for the Roots. Maybe part of it was the whole "back up band" format of the show...maybe if you weren't onstage the whole time and Black Thought wasn't hosting there would be more anticipation for when you guys come on at the end or something...i don't know. i could be wrong but its the first thing i thought of

d

"How do you finish an album when theres no time to finish an album because you have to make money to live so you can try and finish an album and then make sure the album sells so you have to tour to sell the album that you cant finish? " - Jean Grae

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:18 AM

5. "i'm confused too"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Dec-31-03 06:28 AM

i was all amped to finally have a reason to bring back the old shit. and after blasting riq about how excited they will be when we rock the classics.

riq gave me that "told you so" look. (as in i aint never doing no shit before 1999 ever again----y'all did give us the crikets in africa sound y'all)

on our part i was thrown that we were doing "what they do" for the first time in 6 years. but not one hand was raisd in the air.

it also didn't help matters much that riq needed a cheat sheet (yes it happens, jigga was seconds away from having a teleprompter at the garden show, bowie and stipe use cheat sheets too. i think riq has space for about 25 songs in his head. and since he got about 13 new joints all ready to go (that first song we did (album intro) is easily about 80 bars of straight spit)

so in order to prepare for my dream show (i wanna do 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP)

but in order to make this come off we got a LOT of work ahead of us.

and we start preparing now.

(i know this is a dick tease and all, but i will try my hardest to make this a reality---just know that it will take 7 people to make this work)---not just me.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

Damali
35865 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:23 AM

6. "but that's just pure evil."
In response to Reply # 5

that means I....i mean umm...people (nervous laughter) gotta go to all 7 shows in order to get the full experience of the work y'all gonna put in on that.

Is there gonna be a package deal for the shows? Can we put them on layaway now? I mean you do know that that's some cruel shit right?

d

ekogirl
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
601 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 09:51 AM

76. "i'll fly out from Cali for that"
In response to Reply # 6

dream show - 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP

shite.

::::::::::::::::::::::

got a daughter and son/that’s like a bible and gun/peaked, cocked and ready/aim is steady/as a ray of the sun/ my ammunition/intuition. Full eclipse from my lung/son you could never guess what planet I’m from/ My emcee name is my birth name/ my first name/ alias/ is all of us /saul of us /the fall of us will surely come though we deny it/ loudest ni*gga gets quiet/his inner peace is a riot/ ~ Sell your soul if you wanna/ but that don’t mean imma buy it.

:::::::::::::::::::::::
hip hop ethics 101 w/eko
Mondays 10-Midnight KCSB91.9fm
www.kcsb.org/webcast.html
URB Magazine
www.thegiantpeach.com
www.ekogirl.com

:::::::::::::::::::::::
www.ekogirl.com
www.urb.com
www.kzsc.org
www.thegiantpeach.com
www.myspace.com/ekogirl

ultimatedisc
Member since Sep 16th 2002
522 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:36 AM

9. "Odd...thougth that was gonna happen this tour..."
In response to Reply # 5

Just had a feeling....
5 PMs, 5 albums ?
Lots of discussion a few months back re: old stuff vs. new stuff vs. rock stuff vs. "efficient" vs. "hits" vs. more solos vs. less solos vs. Ben vs. Cody vs. Kirk vs. Martin etc.
Then on Monday when y'all teased the Essay... and DYWM (BT's chant) I thought I was right. C'est la vie...somthing to look fwd to (I hope).
BTW - Re: Monday - maybe not the best "Roots" show (3rd worst?!!?), but def one of my top 10 hip hop shows all around.
As far as the KF tour PLEASE MAKE THAT HAPPEN.
Peace and Love in '04 and on...
One.

j_roc003
Member since Nov 26th 2002
504 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:42 AM

10. "damn...i missed "what they do""
In response to Reply # 5

thats my ish right there! favorite video of all time! of all tha roots shows i been to (somewhere round 10 or so, lost count), yall never do much off of Illadelph. anywayzzz....best believe that if yall do that joint in DC on the 2nd, I WILL HAVE MY DRINKS IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:00 AM

12. "RE: damn...i missed "what they do""
In response to Reply # 10

we even dusted off "push up your lighter"

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "RE: damn...i missed "what they do""
In response to Reply # 12

people almost threw fits when yall started to do "essaywhutman"

overall, the performances were better than the previous night (less gargled yelling in the mic), but it was waaaay more energy opening night

philly audiences are wierd

but the look on you cat's faces during the schooly episode was worth the price of admission

i know you wanted to snatch that mic out of his hand and chase him offstage, but that shit was toooo funny

rgmidas
Charter member
181 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 03:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
82. "RE: damn...i missed "Essaywhuman?!"... NOOOOO!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

I feel bad that all the shows I been to, I haven't heard them kick that one yet. I implore you to open with it from now on.

Midas Out

thembi
Member since Feb 05th 2003
9009 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:59 AM

20. "why yall not coming to the no"

i would love for yall to come back in do the okay player tour around this area respondreact

the world is a toll-free toilet-george clinton

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 08:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "what?!? awww man... I would have snapped!"

and they wasn't responding to the old joints?????

- DeePhunk to Notalent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

ethioqueen2
Charter member
152 posts
Fri Jan-02-04 06:34 PM

71. "RE: damn...i missed "what they do""

why wasent this reapeted @ the DC show.

d0pEst~Ethi0piAn
"Ethiopians, we run Ust Bitch"

"Dont quote me....ur beneath" -P0rkface

"This coming from mS.....the Ro0ts are going to be pErforming on an icEberg in Antarctica"- mR twiSty

"Hey, we can just read and eat some tofu on my tourbus.

Bo_De_Ga
Charter member
2315 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:50 AM

11. "Damn homie..."
In response to Reply # 5

>riq gave me that "told you so" look. (as in i aint never
>doing no shit before 1999 ever again----y'all did give us
>the crikets in africa sound y'all)

*shakes fist at NYC crowd*

>
>on our part i was thrown that we were doing "what they do"
>for the first time in 6 years. but not one hand was raisd in
>the air.

*shakes fist even harder*
>
>so in order to prepare for my dream show (i wanna do 7
>nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album:
>monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH,
>thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren,
>sunday/TTP)

*rubs eyes as if he's seeing things*

I've seen y'all rock it so well so many times that I'm pissed I missed this. Nothing like a little unintentional comedy...

BIG-B
Charter member
2023 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:31 AM

14. "RE: i wanna do 7 nights"
In response to Reply # 5

"i wanna do 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP"

Maaaan you gonna make a bro commute from DC for a week to see that Shit. I'm talkin Water Ice and Steak &...
Ooops I mean Cheese Steaks for a week!!!
*lol*
But that's a serious Idea.

But I gotta find a way to get into the DC show this weekend first.

R.I.P. #21

http://twitter.com/bigbthreethree

I still Luv HER
http://bigbrian68.podomatic.com/

PhreeStyleFillyStyle
Member since Feb 04th 2003
119 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:22 AM

40. "A lot of newbies in the crowd"
In response to Reply # 5

I felt like i was surounded by a lot of first time roots concerts goers and a lot of first time hip hop concert goers. You and knuckles should have done the drum switching set that shit is hottt. I LOVED THE DYWM SHIT. That is my first hip hop album and my love.
=========================
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!

Much love to those who relize
shit is fucked up. Much
respect to those who are
working to make things right.

www.phillystudentunion.org

=========================
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!

Much love to those who
realize shit is fucked up.
Much respect to those who are
working to make things right.

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 12:29 PM

44. "...fuck"
In response to Reply # 5

>sunday/TTP)
>
>but in order to make this come off we got a LOT of work
>ahead of us.
>
>
>and we start preparing now.
>
>
>(i know this is a dick tease and all, but i will try my
>hardest to make this a reality---just know that it will take
>7 people to make this work)---not just me.

Dawg, you're tryna break my wallet?
Wait...NYC Knitting Factory right? If not, I'm safe.

-

...A Little Ninja...With A Big Heart...

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

Justin_Maldonado_7
Charter member
5042 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 07:28 AM

63. "salsa section ???"
In response to Reply # 5

El gran combo meets the roots ?!?

HipHopnRnB
Member since Feb 18th 2003
192 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 01:13 PM

68. "RE: i'm confused too"
In response to Reply # 5

>sunday/TTP)

Are you guys gonna hit up the LA/Hollywood Knitting Factory too? Cuz that would be the SHIT! PLEASE DO IT!

Ts_Aura818
Member since Oct 20th 2003
55 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 01:50 PM

79. "7 days of Soul"
In response to Reply # 68

whelp qoolquest said it is his "dream show" make the dream come true playa.. That would pretty much cover everyone's tastebuds not to mention your wallets (If you play it, they WILL come) Also it would scale down your tour time vs being "home" to really work on other stuff y'all are aspiring to do. 7 shows, 1 wk,(House of Blues or Knitting Factory in LA) Knitting in NY and places like that across the country and then the hot spots across seas... 2 words HOT SAUCE.

Keep the planet posted :>

"Life has many soundtracks. Let's all be producers of wonderful Muzik and Score our own Cinemas". - In T's Aura

Did you have a great laugh today?

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 01:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
69. "pretty please"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Jan-01-04 01:42 PM

>i wanna do 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP

i wanna be there if this goes down

>(i know this is a dick tease and all, but i will try my hardest to make this a reality---just know that it will take 7 people to make this work)---not just me.

good luck....i'm serious

sounds like a night of stress but you handled it well

~You only know what you see. You don't understand what it takes to be me~

~Don't let other people's expectations of you determine your choices~

Faceless
Member since Nov 25th 2002
194 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
78. "RE: i'm confused too"
In response to Reply # 5

all I want is to hear Dat Skat in concert, complete with sax.

and love.

i know you dig it when I kick it

baby: beats and treats http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/adamschatzmusic.htm

shwin
Charter member
3481 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 02:56 PM

81. "this was MY idea"
In response to Reply # 5

ive been wanting this forever!

shit i even posted about it

?uest rips me off again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NYU

miss lady
Member since Dec 20th 2003
9 posts
Tue Jan-06-04 02:46 PM

92. "RE: i will be upfront"
In response to Reply # 5

please don't be playing around when you say that b/c i will definately go to those shows no questions asked. i allready traveled nineteen hours to see the roots play at bonnaroo. traveled to nyc from boston to see okay player tour which was off the chain.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:26 AM

7. "I still can't stop laughing"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't know what was going on at first when Schooly came out, I thought he was just gonna do PSK/Saturday Night and get some old school love. But then I noticed he was dancin' more than he was rappin'. Thought looked a little confused but started comin' off the top while Schooly danced and seemed to mask the awkwardness of it a little. But there was no hiding it by the time Schooly wanted parts of your drum kit. I was bugging out laughing going "is he really doing the ABC's right now?!?!" and then "This Old Man?!?". Thought's going "he's gonna go to a hundred!" until finally Quest finally kicked him off by saying "I've gotta finish my job". Shit was hilarious. More awkward than Malik's appearance at the Hammerstein show a few years back but a million times funnier, with Thought continuing to say "Give it up for Schooly D!" after the next few acts and then ending it with Quest reprising "This Old Man" solo. Certainly a show I will never forget.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 06:33 AM

8. "monday night"
In response to Reply # 0

im glad i came out.

i wont ge on the errors, just enjoy the fact i saw pete rock and c.l. smooth finally

and thought with the lyrics sheet, im not even mad at him

as for you mr. drummer dude, i see you giving homage to fredrick douglass and it aint even february yet.

and im stll waiting for bitch better have my money

and i got my own six color 4 station silk screen machine too!!!
(but i degress)

http://instagram.com/schemeofthings

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:25 AM

13. "fuck that...clones was awesome!"
In response to Reply # 0

on monday anyway

wasnt there tuesday but clones and push up ya lighter i was loving

i never saw clones live and its one of my favorite beats ever... and jean grae ripped on it (above and beyond anyone there...jean won a fan monday night)

i loved it

the songs at begining ...like you said... were new and the sound system made it hard to really hear lyrics but i was hyped up anyway so i didnt mind at all

im still not a fan whatsoever of the def jux kids but ppl were feeling them

little brother were a lot of fun too...damn they have some energy for hefty cats...ha...seriously they ripped shit too

pete and cl was awesome

you guys kick ass

im almost in double digits now seeing roots perform and i havent been disappointed yet

in fact if anything..i would like to have seen the tuesday shows FOR the mishaps and hi jinx

ok...back to lesson mode

www.dumhi.com

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:34 AM

16. "oh yeah"
In response to Reply # 13

im not familiar with jlive and he didnt do anything that really grabbed me UNTIL...

he got behind the tables and was flipping record while he was rhyming

that was another treat

ok so maybe jean AND jlive got a new fan

www.dumhi.com

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:39 AM

18. "RE: fuck that...clones was awesome!"
In response to Reply # 13

>in fact if anything..i would like to have seen the tuesday
>shows FOR the mishaps and hi jinx
>
yo. you didnt want to miss it, it was like your favorite episode of punk'd

they handled it well tho

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "uuummm"
In response to Reply # 0

no, pete & cl in DC????
wowser!

7 days of roots in nyc?! i'm skurred. this might be vacation time.

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 07:58 AM

19. "no!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

i am on all fours begging them (managment et al) to get they shit together and have em in dc to do that show!!!!!

i guar---

well let's just say i pro---

look.....i

damnnit!!!!

they coming!!

(i think----i hope)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

thembi
9009 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 08:00 AM

21. "do the show in no"
In response to Reply # 19

we know all the old songs only thing that we dont know is the new shit

ultimatedisc
Member since Sep 16th 2002
522 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 08:04 AM

23. "et al. ="

abbreviation du jour?
on some scholastic/academic tip...
One.

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 08:11 AM

24. "i'll take u're word for it..."

*crosses fingers*
mind u pete & cl was the first hip hop album i ever bought and destroyed from playing too much....never seen them live.

i must meditate on this.

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 08:03 AM

22. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 0

they should use a clip of that performance for the "just say no" campaign

roaches
Member since Jun 04th 2003
6849 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 08:21 AM

25. "well, tomorrow should be fun"
In response to Reply # 0

i really really hope pete and c.l. make it.

illadelphgurl
Charter member
21352 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 09:10 AM

27. "my still attached ticket stub"
In response to Reply # 0

is sitting on my desk.

my temperature was 104.

:'(

i'm mad. still sick too.

---------------------
<3 restore the shore <3

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 10:27 AM

32. "here's to hoping you get better quick"
In response to Reply # 27

I was a little under-the-weather last night too but no temperature involved. I felt better the moment I had a drink, the Roots came onstage and somebody lit up an L. I think I might have to put Irving Plaza on my must-do list for Saturday.

Happy New Year.

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 09:13 AM

28. "comedy"
In response to Reply # 0

"If you can't get the ball to Kevin Garnett, you've got no passing skills" -the almighty Bill Walton

The Fellowship of the Fins:
absence, Al_Tru_Ist, Drewmathic, Ir_Cuba, LML, Robert, Roofdogg10, wonderl33t, xenophobia

Illgaluminati - Our guns say "REPLICA" on the barrel.
http://dotmatrixfilms.vze.com/

joker717
40 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 09:19 AM

29. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 0

i went to both shows, and if i had to pick i say that tues was a better show even though that pete n CL were not there schooly held up his end..roots got the show pumped both nights at the beg. of each show, i love that new song they did that getd every one pumped. j-live has always put on a good show every time i have seen him when he hops behind the 1&2's is great, even with the elmo voice he still represented as best as possible.then next up is my girl jean first off let me start by saying if u dont have her new cd the bootleg of the bootleg ep your SLEEPING 6 ill tracks and the 45 mins of FIRE!!!!!!!!, wish her set could have bin longer supprised she didnt do the haters ant. but saw her after the show peddling her cd with a taped on sign "jean grae" come on now show the women some love, got my pic and told her how much i loved the album, little brother has a great stage prescense esspecially phonte, with his big eyes gazing over the crowd, and for two little brothers they can move.vast aire was good wished him and jean would have done swing blades, sa smash is that there name? wasnt really fealing that, lif and rock moved the crowd, i think im gona go pick up the first mr, lif album i like the way he spits. on monday there was rock and smooth who did a couple classic joints and then turned the lights down low and dropped the beat...CLASSIC...then more roots witch i was goin wild over the old shit i cant belive thats the reason u guys dont do shit pre 1999, which i could see is a little disapionting for a home crowd, i guess that is why black was on the side of the stage doing the french in-hail...(did any catch it when he got up after a little break and had herbal crumbs scatterd on his shirt??)the some freestyle to end the night..... props to quest for conducting the concert to the "T" and mad props to all the acts who did there thing....P.S. quest what where the two street names on your shirt on mondaynight??????

theres no father to my style

joker717
40 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 09:26 AM

30. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 29

oh my im sorry i for got to mention SKILLZ who held it down both nights and on the second night with a busted mic " you were sick befor electricty"........ ps i got pics for monday nights show..ps.i wasnt the little short dude who got ruffed up with digi cam..pics commin soooooooon

theres no father to my style

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 09:52 AM

31. "schooly held up his end?"

he could barely hold himself up, lmao

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 04:53 AM

59. "8th and butler!"

the only place in the world in philly that a man can get a t shirt celebrating the number one drug spot in illadelph....

the gallery 2

(its a t shirt stand near radio shack---they pretty much do any block you want them to do)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

jideff215
Member since Aug 05th 2002
6850 posts
Tue Jan-06-04 08:45 AM

90. "what about 5th and luzerne"
In response to Reply # 59

-----------------------------------
i flip the flip for the flip
call me a flip flipper
than flip flop in my flip flops wit strip strippers

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 10:32 AM

33. "Am I the only one who thought Lif sounded like......."
In response to Reply # 0

Wise Intelligent from PRT? That was my first time seeing him but something in the voice, delivery was taking me back. Once I located what I was hearing it and mentioned it to a couple people I was with, they could hear what I meant. I was very impressed with him though, I thought he was the best out of the Def Jux crew with Vast Aire a not-too-distant second.

And S.A. Smash, please. Don't jump onstage in a Kareem jersey shrieking like a broke-ass Sticky Fingaz and expect to get much love in Philly. Dude sounded like a cat being dismembered even though the band sounded great backing him.

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:20 AM

38. "Am I the only one who thought Aesop sounded like......."
In response to Reply # 33

he was in reverse?

Science_Fiction
Charter member
42096 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 05:48 PM

84. "lol"
In response to Reply # 38

[]

With all due respect...
ask around.

Skillz
Member since Jun 05th 2003
576 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 10:47 AM

34. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 0

um? i didnt fumble, i just ended up laughing at this girl in the front row who kept mouthing to me" I want to have Quest's child"! i mean who can rap after hearing that man? Oh yeah MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT...I WILL NOT BE DOING ANY MORE WINDMILLS ONSTAGE! my dj said i was 2 inches from my head hitting the monitor,and i woke up feeling like i had the lead role in DEATH BECOMES HIM! What was i thinking? The shit i do for hip hop...clawd have mercy!

Yeah I got dreams...and all of em are in my backpack.

radin
Charter member
29499 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:07 AM

37. "saw you after the show Monday on South Street"
In response to Reply # 34

Was going to holler but didn't want to throw salt on your game, but I now know you are not only blessed on the mic, skillZ got groupies too --I saw those two honeys you were sneaking out of there........props to you.

Skillz
Member since Jun 05th 2003
576 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:23 AM

41. "RE: saw you after the show Monday on South Street"
In response to Reply # 37

yeah ok..one worked for my manager & the other one didnt speak english! My luck is in the fast line on the nowhere highway kid!

Yeah I got dreams...and all of em are in my backpack.

radin
Charter member
29499 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:30 AM

42. "damn I wish I was solo that night"
In response to Reply # 41

who needs to speak English, no need to speak at all

Ilog123179
Charter member
318 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 04:05 PM

54. "RE: saw you after the show Monday on South Street"
In response to Reply # 41
Wed Dec-31-03 04:11 PM

>yeah ok..one worked for my manager & the other one didnt
>speak english! My luck is in the fast line on the nowhere
>highway kid!

YOU ARE THE FUCKING TRUTH.

skillz & prince paul 04

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 02:58 PM

48. "you're potentially throwing salt by mentioning it here,"

dummy.

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 04:56 AM

60. "THE BLAST"

shhhhhh.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 08:51 PM

86. "LOL I fear this may be to cryptic for the person"
In response to Reply # 60

it was intended for. They don't seem too bright.

imperial
Member since May 30th 2003
3792 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 10:56 AM

35. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 0

......riq and odb back at our last irving plaza

I would kill to see this moment.
riq and db

I cant even imagine the outcome.

Lucid enigma
"Africa is my descent, and here I'm far from home" D angelo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/lucidenigma.htm

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:02 AM

36. "Good lord."
In response to Reply # 0

I wish I lived in NYC. I've been WAITING for ya'll to play What They Do, Clones, etc. in the last few shows I've seen (especially when I saw you at the Holiday Cooldown in LA - Raphael Saadiq was there, and NO What They Do?!) So, yeah. I'm bummed this tour ain't coming to SoCal.

Rest assured though...I'd of put my hands up for those classics.

So tell me this...does this put a damper on the idea you had to do on the Tipping Point tour with an acoustic section playing older stuff (similar to the Skillz intermission on the last tour) off DYWM and Organix?

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5180 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 02:54 PM

46. "RE: Good lord."
In response to Reply # 36

Man NYC is just evil , evil man.... Just swoop by in So Cal next time no doubt you'll find 7 heads going nuts over classics and the new stuff. I almost got the nerve to hop on one of these planes at the airport and take off to the East in uniform pull an OJ thru the terminal scream'n "DO YOU WANT MORE!!!"

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

radin
Charter member
29499 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 11:22 AM

39. "First off I start with a thank you"
In response to Reply # 0

I appreciate that when you post a thread you take the time to listen to the responses and act on it. Although I never got my Sections, when Riq' dusted off his Rhyme book Monday night for Push Up Ya Lighter I about lost it. That song should always be a live show anthem. What they Do was nice, but damn that version of Clones with everyone coming out, inlcuding Jean Grey (one of the best acts of the night for me).

So I came in from Ohio for the show and was not disappointed. Jean Grey and Skillz stole the show. As for The Legendary this is why I came to the show. Yes the crowd was not as amped for the new ish, and that midset Push Up Ya Lighter almost blew the roof off the venue. LB did they're thing, but the only criticism I have from the corwd was the amount of acts you continued to pump at us nonstop. By Def Jux I think the crowd just needed a break. Even the Ashton Kutcher look alikes next to me that new every word Aesop & Vast Aires spit looked a bit tired by the time they came out.

Bottom line had the whole Def Jux part of the show been cut, the show would have been fire. I did see Pete Rock & CL Smooth and didn't get to enjoy it as much as I should have because I was just drained by the time they got out. You got to remember standing on your feet for an hour and a half doing nothing before the show to get good positioning takes alot out of you.

So I managed to gain my composure for your last set and feel the energy you brought, but still props to you for staying behind your kit for so long, I had a tough time just standing there and focusing in the audience.

****my Highlights
1. BT dusting off his Rhyme book for the Illadelph classics.
2. J Live getting behind the tables and cutting up the beat to bragging writes while flowing at the same time.
3.Jean Grey & Skillz energy on the mic (props to LB as well but I just don't feel they're verses..yet!)
4.Thoughts attempts at audience participation to get the crowd back into it...I was with him but people were dragging.
5. going back to my hotel after the show and running into Pete Rock, chatting with him for a minute and looking over and noticing it's none other than Missy Elliot walking towards us.

J_Bear29
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
919 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 01:23 PM

45. "I hate living in TX sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't believe I'm missing all this good shit happening up north!!!!!!!! I know though you guys love playing STubbs, but still we don't get to see cool shit like this. Damnit!

Most people die with their music still locked up inside them.
-- Benjamin Disraeli

Most people die with their music still locked up inside them.
-- Benjamin Disraeli

Waterdude
Member since Oct 08th 2002
22970 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 02:55 PM

47. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 0

oh look...a new york crowd not satisfied with having a hip hop show....isnt that something, while we in omaha, nebraska go crazy for chamillionaire, mike jones, paul wall, and twista....thanks roots for doing seven nights in NYC....while never doing a night in the midwest....thank you very much.

<---this guy..

www.dontdatehimgirl.com

thembi
9009 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 03:12 PM

49. "lol"
In response to Reply # 47

i feel ya

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 03:16 PM

50. "actually..it was philly's own"
In response to Reply # 47

Waterdude
Member since Oct 08th 2002
22970 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 03:28 PM

51. "RE: actually..it was philly's own"
In response to Reply # 50

r u fucking serious?...that makes it so much better...u know wha......FUCK ALL OF U BIG CITY MUHFUCKAS....can't appreciate shit....i will continue to support my local artists like toot, pocket pete, and the CORNHUSTLER, can u believe it....we got someone called the CORNHUSTLER...i am gonna go jump off a building now. I hate all of u.

<---this guy..

www.dontdatehimgirl.com

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 03:38 PM

52. "rotfl @ cornhustler"
In response to Reply # 51

theScholar3000
Member since Nov 27th 2003
32156 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 05:02 PM

55. "Cornhustler"

>can u believe it....we got someone called the CORNHUSTLER...

LMAO!

Why did you run off secretly and deceive me? Why didn't you tell me, so I could send you away with joy and singing to the music?

The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."

The revolution will not be televised/it will be waged and revised/by the principalities/to remove all falicies/so the truth can and will be known/have you now been shown? - the5philosopher

When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.

Come, I'll tear up all my poems
for just a little piece
of you...

theScholar3000
Member since Nov 27th 2003
32156 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 05:04 PM

56. "Cornhustler"

>can u believe it....we got someone called the CORNHUSTLER...

LMAO!

Why did you run off secretly and deceive me? Why didn't you tell me, so I could send you away with joy and singing to the music?

The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."

The revolution will not be televised/it will be waged and revised/by the principalities/to remove all falicies/so the truth can and will be known/have you now been shown? - the5philosopher

When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.

Come, I'll tear up all my poems
for just a little piece
of you...

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 05:20 AM

61. "yikes"

cornhustler?!?!?

well---as alaways we fight to go to new places each album out. its just that sometimes there isnt a demand for the group in a particular city. and sometimes we can't afford to play places that can't cover us on the finance tip.

not on the greedy end, but just to cover costs. we can do 2 nights at the chicago house of blues, because 9 times out of 10 that show will sell out and thus it makes sense to play there.

this year for instance, we came to alabama for the first time. we did a festival that was seen by 10,000 people. we did a good job, so there was a demanad for us to come back, unfortunately there isnt a venue that could cover costs for us (you either play a small under 1000 people club and we can charge 90 bucks--or you gotta be justin big and rock 18,000 people, which in alabama we would never ever sell out)

there is no middle venue (roots can play and sell out 2,000-5,000 spot on its own at SOME markets)

the goal is to have "middle ground" spots that will let us keep ticket prices affordable, but sell enough tickets so that we can cover prices.

this is why we can't play markets that don't have a big demand for us. it's not like we just say "oh fuck the midwest" "or "fuck africa"......trust me, we get offers from all over. but for some markets that there isn't a demand for the group, its hard to play there unless we open for well established acts.

but maybe our luck will change with album nummber 7

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

bassndaplace
Charter member
11692 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 05:25 AM

62. "RE: yikes"
In response to Reply # 61

>but maybe our luck will change with album nummber 7

*toast* to that - although you've never had a problem filling up clubs and college's here in Rochester, NY...

www.scottstewartphotos.com

bamellgr
Charter member
510 posts
Sat Jan-03-04 04:59 AM

73. "RE: yikes"

I guess that's why you don't play here in the Tampa Bay area. We have a huge gap in what our venues can hold.

State Theatre: 500
Jannus Landing: 1300
Masquerade: 1300
USF Sun Dome: 15000
St. Pete Times Forum: 20000

I guess you could play Ruth Eckerd Hall, but they hardly ever have rock shows, let alone a Hip Hop show.

Ts_Aura818
Member since Oct 20th 2003
55 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 01:54 PM

80. "one mo gin..."

whelp qoolquest said it is his "dream show" make the dream come true playa.. That would pretty much cover everyone's tastebuds not to mention your wallets (If you play it, they WILL come) Also it would scale down your tour time vs being "home" to really work on other stuff y'all are aspiring to do. 7 shows, 1 wk,(House of Blues or Knitting Factory in LA) Knitting in NY and places like that across the country and then the hot spots across seas... 2 words HOT SAUCE.

Keep the planet posted :>

"Life has many soundtracks. Let's all be producers of wonderful Muzik and Score our own Cinemas". - In T's Aura

Did you have a great laugh today?

Flite
Member since Dec 07th 2002
4444 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 11:38 PM

87. ""

|what the hell are you still doing driving a cab|

chocolatestar
Member since Dec 01st 2003
124 posts
Tue Jan-06-04 08:12 AM

89. "RE: yikes"

okayplayer winter tour in chicago ...you know we will show yall mad love!

STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR EVERYTHING
-CHICAGO 7

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Wed Jan-07-04 01:25 PM

93. "werd. i am in the midwest and i get mad when we..."

... finally get someone dope and either 1) not enough folks come out or 2) folks come out but then have zero energy. i lived in DC and LA for the past 10 years and when i go to shows in STL now, i get embarrassed on some "see now this is why cool shows don't come here"

well, the small venue show you did in STL was dope as fuck. i hope y'all keep doing that. shit was sick, but i almost didn't know it existed... in other words - there was near zero advertising.

anyway thanks.

*shrugs*

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§

"I'm outta here as soon as i fix the Flux Capacitor" ~mf doom

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§

=

OG OKP.
I don't come around as often but I check in now & then.

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 03:55 PM

53. "schooly d LINK:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.adultswim.com/clips/athf/audio/one/index.html

Ayatollah Watts
Member since Jul 29th 2002
2920 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 09:39 PM

57. "Reading this has made me officially.."
In response to Reply # 0

upset that I can't make it to the DC show... and I had planned and planned and planned... but you can never can prepare for the unknown

*steams with anger*

@TheBlackZappa

SoulBrothaElroy
Member since Dec 31st 2003
15 posts
Wed Dec-31-03 09:45 PM

58. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 0

I gotta admit that made my night.

I was the goofy motherfucker with spikey ass dreads wylin out in the front.

"ay....Ya'll know your ABC's?????..."

||Free your mind, and your ass will follow||
..::funkadelic::..

"In proportion as the exploitation of one individual by another is put to an end, the exploitation of one nation by another will also be put to an end. In proportion as the antagonism be

Nabs
Charter member
11405 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 08:21 AM

64. "This is the funniest shit, I'd pay for..."
In response to Reply # 0

it on DVD with commentary from you and schooly d.

beth
Charter member
823 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 08:53 AM

65. "RE: this old man....he played six"
In response to Reply # 0

a plea to play the old school joints. you know there are tons of old heads in dc who will pick up on the illadelph lyrics where bt drops off. oganix and dywm are back in rotation for the post new years cleaning. looking forward to seeing jean grae too -she is an amazing mc on the cd, i cant wait to see her live.

dancnf00l
Charter member
250 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 12:24 PM

66. "I refuse to believe that Schooly D..."
In response to Reply # 0

...was not drunk

(Quest said "he was not drunk y'all.")

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 12:49 PM

67. "RE: I refuse to believe that Schooly D..."
In response to Reply # 66

>...was not drunk
>
>(Quest said "he was not drunk y'all.")

he was on "some other shit"

we dont have to spell it out, right?

Tcallquest18
Charter member
282 posts
Thu Jan-01-04 01:52 PM

70. "I guess this means........"
In response to Reply # 0

I can kiss my "What they Do"/ classics requests goodbye. I suppose sometimes its just better to move on than dwell on the past. Damn, I swear people are crazy to not have a response to some of those classic joints. It makes zero sense to me.

Ason
Member since Dec 27th 2002
30506 posts
Fri Jan-02-04 10:10 PM

72. "dude go write a Roots song book"
In response to Reply # 0

with tabs and notation

--------------------------------------

http://www.yvonneridley.org/multimedia.php
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
250 troops lead by Custer were defeated by the Dakota, they are Sioux Indians.

ThaCamillion
Member since Jun 19th 2003
12 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 09:39 AM

75. "Swept Away"
In response to Reply # 0

So I'm standing there with my CREW (at the 9:30 Club, Thursday) swaying with the beat, all up in the MOMENT when I hear the beginning of Swept Away. (I've never heard that live) I get all AMPED like "YOOOO" then they switched it up and there I stood, still vibing but a little hurt... What a dirty trick guys...

Other then that incident the show was TIGHT (oh & except for the absence of my man PETE & CL) Little Brother has a new backer over here. I think it has a lil something to do with an inpromptu salsa number with Ms. Jean Grae and certain KRIS KROSS-inspired dance.

If- I mean when The Roots do that 7 day joint, I am there. Me and my camera. That just might top the $5 show at O.D.U. in 2000 where Hub pimped out WHITE LINES among other tracks thus basically inspiring me to pick up a guitar.

SKILLZ... 2003! Tight! Lemme borrow that jacket? I know I know, it might be a lil bit 2 big, but I'm saying though.

Jean Grae. Those sneakers. The truth. Word. Rhymes. Tight. I tried to tell the people. They had to see it first hand.

PEACE

sun_das_ill
Member since Nov 29th 2002
11308 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 10:44 AM

77. "40 bucks for a dvd or vhs copy of the antics"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm dead serious.

http://sundasill.tumblr.com/

promochaos
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
303 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 04:21 PM

83. "That RI Show lol"
In response to Reply # 0

I was there!!! The Strand back in 97 or 98. Thought got pissed when they did "Put up Ya Lighter" and nobody did.

-CHAOS

In The Deck:
"BE"-Common
"The Minstreal Show"-Little Brother
"The Rising Tied"-Fort Minor
"Organix"-The Roots
"Long Hot Summer"-Masta Ace

sun_das_ill
Member since Nov 29th 2002
11308 posts
Mon Jan-05-04 07:31 PM

85. "YO SCHOOLY D did the theme song for AQUATEEN"
In response to Reply # 0

I almost forgot,should of made that fool do that song......ah well its over with.
*kicks dirt*

http://sundasill.tumblr.com/

WuGambina
Charter member
47817 posts
Tue Jan-06-04 04:09 AM

88. "wow"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<----Avi photo by Shunjen aka Kyle Barker

Walking by faith and not by sight....

www.sandeinteriors.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/wugambina

jideff215
Member since Aug 05th 2002
6850 posts
Tue Jan-06-04 08:53 AM

91. "i was disappointed at the first show in philly"
In response to Reply # 0

i guess i forgot that it was the okayplayer tour ie a showcase of a lot of other cats

skillz was dope

jean grae was nice

little brother was ok

all them other cats were ok

but i was trying to hear the roots more, i was surprised yall only played like 3-4 or your songs at the end. i understand and respect that yall were on the instruments the whole night playing for everybody.

yo why was black reading his lyrics off of looseleaf?

and who was that 14 yearold cat who spat a rhyme in the beginning

-----------------------------------
i flip the flip for the flip
call me a flip flipper
than flip flop in my flip flops wit strip strippers

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #5533 Previous topic | Next topic