Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectthis old man....he played six
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=5533
5533, this old man....he played six
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Dec-31-03 05:54 AM
ok---so i wake up yesterday
already feeling defeated for even what i will admit (thanks for playin nice scrapluv et al but i will call a spade a spade) was the 3rd worst show in roots history (1st when we got booed at our "homecoming" show at lincoln U in 95, and when murphy's law took over on the last show of the jeru/roots rhode island show (mal's keyboard didn't work, right speaker went out, hub's amp blew, riq's voice was out, audience was ice cold, and riq added fuel to fire by performing whole show with back towards audience.)---

don't get me wrong....the show was kick ass...

but you could never tell me in a million years that the act to get the least response would be the friggin headliners.

so already i was depressed.

this ain't over.

"pete and cl ain't coming" no reason no nothing. i was thrown only because pete and i was talking about doing a beat society portion in which he and fusion would make beats live on stage. don't panic nyc and dc--i just think something went down yesterday---so i hope.

so i go in panic mode--special ed? lyte? nice and smooth?!?!? they will riot if i don't have a ledgend portion!!!!!!!

no dice....i got 2 hours to reherse the cats and ass kick later on. we refine some of the new songs so that they come off more smooth. we are satisfied.

"whussup man" j live greets me.

except he is talking like yoda instead of j-live.

he lost his voice. oh god no. i NEED him to rock tonight. he provides one of the highlights for the few people who are weened on 106 and park (i will not use the word "idiot" no more) he says he's cool. my day is telling me otherwise.

someone taps me on the shoulder...."good news!! we got schooly d!"

whooo hooo!!! we can do his stuff easily!!!! the audience will be pleased (more on that later)

i see vast air's dj to tell him that maybe he should do his cool routine on tonight's set.

can't. he needs a special mixer and some records and a salt shaker.

salt shaker?

damn!!!

the show goes off a little better than before--i keep forgetting that new songs don't register as hype as familiar songs.

then j-live comes.

he starts with his barritone scratched voice and in a quick 2 minutes---he turns into elmo.

damn!! lord please make this night go right.

---we go smooth with the transitions....and then...here comes schoolly.

for those who were there last night.

schooly.

schooly we hardly new ye.

i don't know what happened. i told the crowd last night that i swore that ashton kutcher was gonna come out last night and punk us.

he was not drunk y'all.

for those of you that wonder what life is like with our beloved pal (the one we told him to master his you know what)---you now have a clue. school had glasses on but if you could see his puipils roll to the back of his head. and now he is headed towards my drum set.

i mean this was past embarrasment. this was.....

genius?

he did the alphabet first....

"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP....QRS....TUV.....WXY and Z..."

then he did this old man.

"this old man, he played one....he played knick knack on my thumb with a....."

he went all the way to 7 people. i aint seen no shit like this since......riq and odb back at our last irving plaza show. the same irving plaza show that got us banned for 7 years (dirty fucked shit up for us)

how do we even follow something like that? not one peep for pete or CL....

skillz came and fumbled 2003. but its all cool, he freestyled ish and it came off lovely.

then my new hero phonte from LB and jean grae salsa dance on "so fabulous"

salsa dance.

cot damn....phonte and jean were like fred and ginger. i was jealous. my last girlfriend taught me how to salsa dance but i never utilized it to full effect. watching those two last night was like watching dirty dancing/dance with me (you know that vanessa williams salsa joint?)---

and then the 18 verse "clones".

all and all.....this was a RARE ass show. i had fun while panicing at the same time.

5534, lol
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Dec-31-03 05:55 AM
i see all of us posted at the same time about last nights show....

lol.
5535, um no i posted 7 minutes before you
Posted by Damali, Wed Dec-31-03 05:59 AM
and now nobody gonna look at my post :(

lol

ok now i'll go back and read what you wrote cuz i was so verklempt i scrolled down

d

"How do you finish an album when theres no time to finish an album because you have to make money to live so you can try and finish an album and then make sure the album sells so you have to tour to sell the album that you cant finish? " - Jean Grae

::: The Feature Film coming soon on Full Circle Pictures

5536, damn i missed what they do
Posted by GangStarr, Wed Dec-31-03 11:48 AM
i want to hear what they do and silent treatment in the same show, shit would be bananas
5537, Never seen a bad one!
Posted by chocolatestar, Mon Jan-05-04 08:14 AM
I have been to 6 roots concerts most recent the sprite liquid mix and i have never seen a bad one.....take it from a perfectionist i know how it is when something goes wrong and it always seems like a domino effect.....but take it from this faithful roots fan ...you all are the best of the best in hip hop ...i was happy to see that you all got nominated for a grammy for best rap album....(maybe once the music evolves you will win) who knows..but...it ain't about what happens it is how you work under pressure...can you take it?

oh yeah how can i get my hands on some backstage when you come and give me a taste of the tippin point?
5538, Monday was fine
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Dec-31-03 06:03 AM
Reaction was stronger to your opening set since everyone was hype for the show.
End of the show though - closing music was strong of course but the way y'all left the stage and had Thought out there talking all by his lonesome was kind of odd. I think the crowd was just a litle confused by that more than anything else.

Only thing I was bummed about was that little dude's mic was off/broken and the situation only got rectified AFTER he finished hisverse.

5539, oh shit i forgot all about J-live going hoarse
Posted by Damali, Wed Dec-31-03 06:04 AM
the audience gave him love for finishing the song tho...

and the salsa dance was classic. They had a lil trouble getting sycronized at first but then they hooked it up lovely. Definitely a highlight of the show

i have to admit that i did notice the lack of response for the Roots. Maybe part of it was the whole "back up band" format of the show...maybe if you weren't onstage the whole time and Black Thought wasn't hosting there would be more anticipation for when you guys come on at the end or something...i don't know. i could be wrong but its the first thing i thought of

d

"How do you finish an album when theres no time to finish an album because you have to make money to live so you can try and finish an album and then make sure the album sells so you have to tour to sell the album that you cant finish? " - Jean Grae

5540, i'm confused too
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Dec-31-03 06:18 AM
i was all amped to finally have a reason to bring back the old shit. and after blasting riq about how excited they will be when we rock the classics.

riq gave me that "told you so" look. (as in i aint never doing no shit before 1999 ever again----y'all did give us the crikets in africa sound y'all)

on our part i was thrown that we were doing "what they do" for the first time in 6 years. but not one hand was raisd in the air.

it also didn't help matters much that riq needed a cheat sheet (yes it happens, jigga was seconds away from having a teleprompter at the garden show, bowie and stipe use cheat sheets too. i think riq has space for about 25 songs in his head. and since he got about 13 new joints all ready to go (that first song we did (album intro) is easily about 80 bars of straight spit)

so in order to prepare for my dream show (i wanna do 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP)

but in order to make this come off we got a LOT of work ahead of us.

and we start preparing now.

(i know this is a dick tease and all, but i will try my hardest to make this a reality---just know that it will take 7 people to make this work)---not just me.
5541, but that's just pure evil.
Posted by Damali, Wed Dec-31-03 06:23 AM
that means I....i mean umm...people (nervous laughter) gotta go to all 7 shows in order to get the full experience of the work y'all gonna put in on that.

Is there gonna be a package deal for the shows? Can we put them on layaway now? I mean you do know that that's some cruel shit right?

d

5542, i'll fly out from Cali for that
Posted by ekogirl, Mon Jan-05-04 09:51 AM
dream show - 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP

shite.

::::::::::::::::::::::

got a daughter and son/that’s like a bible and gun/peaked, cocked and ready/aim is steady/as a ray of the sun/ my ammunition/intuition. Full eclipse from my lung/son you could never guess what planet I’m from/ My emcee name is my birth name/ my first name/ alias/ is all of us /saul of us /the fall of us will surely come though we deny it/ loudest ni*gga gets quiet/his inner peace is a riot/ ~ Sell your soul if you wanna/ but that don’t mean imma buy it.

:::::::::::::::::::::::
hip hop ethics 101 w/eko
Mondays 10-Midnight KCSB91.9fm
www.kcsb.org/webcast.html
URB Magazine
www.thegiantpeach.com
www.ekogirl.com

5543, Odd...thougth that was gonna happen this tour...
Posted by ultimatedisc, Wed Dec-31-03 06:36 AM
Just had a feeling....
5 PMs, 5 albums ?
Lots of discussion a few months back re: old stuff vs. new stuff vs. rock stuff vs. "efficient" vs. "hits" vs. more solos vs. less solos vs. Ben vs. Cody vs. Kirk vs. Martin etc.
Then on Monday when y'all teased the Essay... and DYWM (BT's chant) I thought I was right. C'est la vie...somthing to look fwd to (I hope).
BTW - Re: Monday - maybe not the best "Roots" show (3rd worst?!!?), but def one of my top 10 hip hop shows all around.
As far as the KF tour PLEASE MAKE THAT HAPPEN.
Peace and Love in '04 and on...
One.
5544, damn...i missed "what they do"
Posted by j_roc003, Wed Dec-31-03 06:42 AM
thats my ish right there! favorite video of all time! of all tha roots shows i been to (somewhere round 10 or so, lost count), yall never do much off of Illadelph. anywayzzz....best believe that if yall do that joint in DC on the 2nd, I WILL HAVE MY DRINKS IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!
5545, RE: damn...i missed "what they do"
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Dec-31-03 07:00 AM
we even dusted off "push up your lighter"

5546, RE: damn...i missed "what they do"
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Dec-31-03 07:36 AM
people almost threw fits when yall started to do "essaywhutman"

overall, the performances were better than the previous night (less gargled yelling in the mic), but it was waaaay more energy opening night

philly audiences are wierd

but the look on you cat's faces during the schooly episode was worth the price of admission

i know you wanted to snatch that mic out of his hand and chase him offstage, but that shit was toooo funny
5547, RE: damn...i missed "Essaywhuman?!"... NOOOOO!!!!!
Posted by rgmidas, Mon Jan-05-04 03:20 PM
I feel bad that all the shows I been to, I haven't heard them kick that one yet. I implore you to open with it from now on.

Midas Out
5548, why yall not coming to the no
Posted by thembi, Wed Dec-31-03 07:59 AM
i would love for yall to come back in do the okay player tour around this area respondreact
5549, what?!? awww man... I would have snapped!
Posted by J_Sun, Wed Dec-31-03 08:44 AM
and they wasn't responding to the old joints?????

- DeePhunk to Notalent

5550, RE: damn...i missed "what they do"
Posted by ethioqueen2, Fri Jan-02-04 06:34 PM
why wasent this reapeted @ the DC show.
5551, Damn homie...
Posted by Bo_De_Ga, Wed Dec-31-03 06:50 AM

>riq gave me that "told you so" look. (as in i aint never
>doing no shit before 1999 ever again----y'all did give us
>the crikets in africa sound y'all)

*shakes fist at NYC crowd*

>
>on our part i was thrown that we were doing "what they do"
>for the first time in 6 years. but not one hand was raisd in
>the air.

*shakes fist even harder*
>
>so in order to prepare for my dream show (i wanna do 7
>nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album:
>monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH,
>thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren,
>sunday/TTP)

*rubs eyes as if he's seeing things*

I've seen y'all rock it so well so many times that I'm pissed I missed this. Nothing like a little unintentional comedy...
5552, RE: i wanna do 7 nights
Posted by BIG-B, Wed Dec-31-03 07:31 AM
"i wanna do 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP"

Maaaan you gonna make a bro commute from DC for a week to see that Shit. I'm talkin Water Ice and Steak &...
Ooops I mean Cheese Steaks for a week!!!
*lol*
But that's a serious Idea.

But I gotta find a way to get into the DC show this weekend first.

5553, A lot of newbies in the crowd
Posted by PhreeStyleFillyStyle, Wed Dec-31-03 11:22 AM
I felt like i was surounded by a lot of first time roots concerts goers and a lot of first time hip hop concert goers. You and knuckles should have done the drum switching set that shit is hottt. I LOVED THE DYWM SHIT. That is my first hip hop album and my love.
=========================
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!

Much love to those who relize
shit is fucked up. Much
respect to those who are
working to make things right.

www.phillystudentunion.org
5554, ...fuck
Posted by Improv, Wed Dec-31-03 12:29 PM
>sunday/TTP)
>
>but in order to make this come off we got a LOT of work
>ahead of us.
>
>
>and we start preparing now.
>
>
>(i know this is a dick tease and all, but i will try my
>hardest to make this a reality---just know that it will take
>7 people to make this work)---not just me.

Dawg, you're tryna break my wallet?
Wait...NYC Knitting Factory right? If not, I'm safe.

-

...A Little Ninja...With A Big Heart...
5555, salsa section ???
Posted by Justin_Maldonado_7, Thu Jan-01-04 07:28 AM
El gran combo meets the roots ?!?
5556, RE: i'm confused too
Posted by HipHopnRnB, Thu Jan-01-04 01:13 PM
>sunday/TTP)

Are you guys gonna hit up the LA/Hollywood Knitting Factory too? Cuz that would be the SHIT! PLEASE DO IT!
5557, 7 days of Soul
Posted by Ts_Aura818, Mon Jan-05-04 01:50 PM
whelp qoolquest said it is his "dream show" make the dream come true playa.. That would pretty much cover everyone's tastebuds not to mention your wallets (If you play it, they WILL come) Also it would scale down your tour time vs being "home" to really work on other stuff y'all are aspiring to do. 7 shows, 1 wk,(House of Blues or Knitting Factory in LA) Knitting in NY and places like that across the country and then the hot spots across seas... 2 words HOT SAUCE.

Keep the planet posted :>

5558, pretty please
Posted by allison, Thu Jan-01-04 01:22 PM
>i wanna do 7 nights at the kitting factory and each night a new album: monday/organix in full mode, tuesday/DYWM, wed/IH, thursday/TFA, friday/greatest hits, saturday/phren, sunday/TTP

i wanna be there if this goes down

>(i know this is a dick tease and all, but i will try my hardest to make this a reality---just know that it will take 7 people to make this work)---not just me.

good luck....i'm serious

sounds like a night of stress but you handled it well

5559, RE: i'm confused too
Posted by Faceless, Mon Jan-05-04 12:04 PM
all I want is to hear Dat Skat in concert, complete with sax.

and love.
5560, this was MY idea
Posted by shwin, Mon Jan-05-04 02:56 PM
ive been wanting this forever!

shit i even posted about it

?uest rips me off again!
5561, RE: i will be upfront
Posted by miss lady, Tue Jan-06-04 02:46 PM
please don't be playing around when you say that b/c i will definately go to those shows no questions asked. i allready traveled nineteen hours to see the roots play at bonnaroo. traveled to nyc from boston to see okay player tour which was off the chain.
5562, I still can't stop laughing
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Dec-31-03 06:26 AM
I didn't know what was going on at first when Schooly came out, I thought he was just gonna do PSK/Saturday Night and get some old school love. But then I noticed he was dancin' more than he was rappin'. Thought looked a little confused but started comin' off the top while Schooly danced and seemed to mask the awkwardness of it a little. But there was no hiding it by the time Schooly wanted parts of your drum kit. I was bugging out laughing going "is he really doing the ABC's right now?!?!" and then "This Old Man?!?". Thought's going "he's gonna go to a hundred!" until finally Quest finally kicked him off by saying "I've gotta finish my job". Shit was hilarious. More awkward than Malik's appearance at the Hammerstein show a few years back but a million times funnier, with Thought continuing to say "Give it up for Schooly D!" after the next few acts and then ending it with Quest reprising "This Old Man" solo. Certainly a show I will never forget.

5563, monday night
Posted by ummah1421, Wed Dec-31-03 06:33 AM
im glad i came out.

i wont ge on the errors, just enjoy the fact i saw pete rock and c.l. smooth finally

and thought with the lyrics sheet, im not even mad at him

as for you mr. drummer dude, i see you giving homage to fredrick douglass and it aint even february yet.

and im stll waiting for bitch better have my money

and i got my own six color 4 station silk screen machine too!!!
(but i degress)
5564, fuck that...clones was awesome!
Posted by haji rana pinya, Wed Dec-31-03 07:25 AM
on monday anyway

wasnt there tuesday but clones and push up ya lighter i was loving

i never saw clones live and its one of my favorite beats ever... and jean grae ripped on it (above and beyond anyone there...jean won a fan monday night)

i loved it

the songs at begining ...like you said... were new and the sound system made it hard to really hear lyrics but i was hyped up anyway so i didnt mind at all

im still not a fan whatsoever of the def jux kids but ppl were feeling them

little brother were a lot of fun too...damn they have some energy for hefty cats...ha...seriously they ripped shit too

pete and cl was awesome

you guys kick ass

im almost in double digits now seeing roots perform and i havent been disappointed yet

in fact if anything..i would like to have seen the tuesday shows FOR the mishaps and hi jinx

ok...back to lesson mode

5565, oh yeah
Posted by haji rana pinya, Wed Dec-31-03 07:34 AM
im not familiar with jlive and he didnt do anything that really grabbed me UNTIL...

he got behind the tables and was flipping record while he was rhyming

that was another treat

ok so maybe jean AND jlive got a new fan
5566, RE: fuck that...clones was awesome!
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Dec-31-03 07:39 AM
>in fact if anything..i would like to have seen the tuesday
>shows FOR the mishaps and hi jinx
>
yo. you didnt want to miss it, it was like your favorite episode of punk'd

they handled it well tho
5567, uuummm
Posted by StillWaters, Wed Dec-31-03 07:32 AM
no, pete & cl in DC????
wowser!

7 days of roots in nyc?! i'm skurred. this might be vacation time.
5568, no!!!
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Dec-31-03 07:58 AM
i am on all fours begging them (managment et al) to get they shit together and have em in dc to do that show!!!!!

i guar---

well let's just say i pro---

look.....i

damnnit!!!!

they coming!!

(i think----i hope)
5569, do the show in no
Posted by thembi, Wed Dec-31-03 08:00 AM
we know all the old songs only thing that we dont know is the new shit
5570, et al. =
Posted by ultimatedisc, Wed Dec-31-03 08:04 AM
abbreviation du jour?
on some scholastic/academic tip...
One.
5571, i'll take u're word for it...
Posted by StillWaters, Wed Dec-31-03 08:11 AM
*crosses fingers*
mind u pete & cl was the first hip hop album i ever bought and destroyed from playing too much....never seen them live.

i must meditate on this.
5572, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Dec-31-03 08:03 AM
they should use a clip of that performance for the "just say no" campaign
5573, well, tomorrow should be fun
Posted by roaches, Wed Dec-31-03 08:21 AM
i really really hope pete and c.l. make it.
5574, my still attached ticket stub
Posted by illadelphgurl, Wed Dec-31-03 09:10 AM
is sitting on my desk.

my temperature was 104.

:'(

i'm mad. still sick too.
5575, here's to hoping you get better quick
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Dec-31-03 10:27 AM
I was a little under-the-weather last night too but no temperature involved. I felt better the moment I had a drink, the Roots came onstage and somebody lit up an L. I think I might have to put Irving Plaza on my must-do list for Saturday.

Happy New Year.
5576, comedy
Posted by Wonderl33t, Wed Dec-31-03 09:13 AM
"If you can't get the ball to Kevin Garnett, you've got no passing skills" -the almighty Bill Walton

The Fellowship of the Fins:
absence, Al_Tru_Ist, Drewmathic, Ir_Cuba, LML, Robert, Roofdogg10, wonderl33t, xenophobia

Illgaluminati - Our guns say "REPLICA" on the barrel.
http://dotmatrixfilms.vze.com/
5577, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by joker717, Wed Dec-31-03 09:19 AM
i went to both shows, and if i had to pick i say that tues was a better show even though that pete n CL were not there schooly held up his end..roots got the show pumped both nights at the beg. of each show, i love that new song they did that getd every one pumped. j-live has always put on a good show every time i have seen him when he hops behind the 1&2's is great, even with the elmo voice he still represented as best as possible.then next up is my girl jean first off let me start by saying if u dont have her new cd the bootleg of the bootleg ep your SLEEPING 6 ill tracks and the 45 mins of FIRE!!!!!!!!, wish her set could have bin longer supprised she didnt do the haters ant. but saw her after the show peddling her cd with a taped on sign "jean grae" come on now show the women some love, got my pic and told her how much i loved the album, little brother has a great stage prescense esspecially phonte, with his big eyes gazing over the crowd, and for two little brothers they can move.vast aire was good wished him and jean would have done swing blades, sa smash is that there name? wasnt really fealing that, lif and rock moved the crowd, i think im gona go pick up the first mr, lif album i like the way he spits. on monday there was rock and smooth who did a couple classic joints and then turned the lights down low and dropped the beat...CLASSIC...then more roots witch i was goin wild over the old shit i cant belive thats the reason u guys dont do shit pre 1999, which i could see is a little disapionting for a home crowd, i guess that is why black was on the side of the stage doing the french in-hail...(did any catch it when he got up after a little break and had herbal crumbs scatterd on his shirt??)the some freestyle to end the night..... props to quest for conducting the concert to the "T" and mad props to all the acts who did there thing....P.S. quest what where the two street names on your shirt on mondaynight??????
5578, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by joker717, Wed Dec-31-03 09:26 AM
oh my im sorry i for got to mention SKILLZ who held it down both nights and on the second night with a busted mic " you were sick befor electricty"........ ps i got pics for monday nights show..ps.i wasnt the little short dude who got ruffed up with digi cam..pics commin soooooooon
5579, schooly held up his end?
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Dec-31-03 09:52 AM
he could barely hold himself up, lmao
5580, 8th and butler!
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Jan-01-04 04:53 AM
the only place in the world in philly that a man can get a t shirt celebrating the number one drug spot in illadelph....

the gallery 2

(its a t shirt stand near radio shack---they pretty much do any block you want them to do)
5581, what about 5th and luzerne
Posted by jideff215, Tue Jan-06-04 08:45 AM

5582, Am I the only one who thought Lif sounded like.......
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Dec-31-03 10:32 AM
Wise Intelligent from PRT? That was my first time seeing him but something in the voice, delivery was taking me back. Once I located what I was hearing it and mentioned it to a couple people I was with, they could hear what I meant. I was very impressed with him though, I thought he was the best out of the Def Jux crew with Vast Aire a not-too-distant second.

And S.A. Smash, please. Don't jump onstage in a Kareem jersey shrieking like a broke-ass Sticky Fingaz and expect to get much love in Philly. Dude sounded like a cat being dismembered even though the band sounded great backing him.
5583, Am I the only one who thought Aesop sounded like.......
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Dec-31-03 11:20 AM
he was in reverse?
5584, lol
Posted by Science_Fiction, Mon Jan-05-04 05:48 PM
[]
5585, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by Skillz, Wed Dec-31-03 10:47 AM
um? i didnt fumble, i just ended up laughing at this girl in the front row who kept mouthing to me" I want to have Quest's child"! i mean who can rap after hearing that man? Oh yeah MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT...I WILL NOT BE DOING ANY MORE WINDMILLS ONSTAGE! my dj said i was 2 inches from my head hitting the monitor,and i woke up feeling like i had the lead role in DEATH BECOMES HIM! What was i thinking? The shit i do for hip hop...clawd have mercy!
5586, saw you after the show Monday on South Street
Posted by radin, Wed Dec-31-03 11:07 AM
Was going to holler but didn't want to throw salt on your game, but I now know you are not only blessed on the mic, skillZ got groupies too --I saw those two honeys you were sneaking out of there........props to you.
5587, RE: saw you after the show Monday on South Street
Posted by Skillz, Wed Dec-31-03 11:23 AM
yeah ok..one worked for my manager & the other one didnt speak english! My luck is in the fast line on the nowhere highway kid!
5588, damn I wish I was solo that night
Posted by radin, Wed Dec-31-03 11:30 AM
who needs to speak English, no need to speak at all
5589, RE: saw you after the show Monday on South Street
Posted by Ilog123179, Wed Dec-31-03 04:05 PM
>yeah ok..one worked for my manager & the other one didnt
>speak english! My luck is in the fast line on the nowhere
>highway kid!

YOU ARE THE FUCKING TRUTH.

skillz & prince paul 04
5590, you're potentially throwing salt by mentioning it here,
Posted by Invisiblist, Wed Dec-31-03 02:58 PM
dummy.
5591, THE BLAST
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Jan-01-04 04:56 AM
shhhhhh.
5592, LOL I fear this may be to cryptic for the person
Posted by Invisiblist, Mon Jan-05-04 08:51 PM
it was intended for. They don't seem too bright.
5593, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by imperial, Wed Dec-31-03 10:56 AM
......riq and odb back at our last irving plaza

I would kill to see this moment.
riq and db

I cant even imagine the outcome.

Lucid enigma
"Africa is my descent, and here I'm far from home" D angelo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/lucidenigma.htm
5594, Good lord.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Dec-31-03 11:02 AM
I wish I lived in NYC. I've been WAITING for ya'll to play What They Do, Clones, etc. in the last few shows I've seen (especially when I saw you at the Holiday Cooldown in LA - Raphael Saadiq was there, and NO What They Do?!) So, yeah. I'm bummed this tour ain't coming to SoCal.

Rest assured though...I'd of put my hands up for those classics.

So tell me this...does this put a damper on the idea you had to do on the Tipping Point tour with an acoustic section playing older stuff (similar to the Skillz intermission on the last tour) off DYWM and Organix?
5595, RE: Good lord.
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Wed Dec-31-03 02:54 PM
Man NYC is just evil , evil man.... Just swoop by in So Cal next time no doubt you'll find 7 heads going nuts over classics and the new stuff. I almost got the nerve to hop on one of these planes at the airport and take off to the East in uniform pull an OJ thru the terminal scream'n "DO YOU WANT MORE!!!"
5596, First off I start with a thank you
Posted by radin, Wed Dec-31-03 11:22 AM
I appreciate that when you post a thread you take the time to listen to the responses and act on it. Although I never got my Sections, when Riq' dusted off his Rhyme book Monday night for Push Up Ya Lighter I about lost it. That song should always be a live show anthem. What they Do was nice, but damn that version of Clones with everyone coming out, inlcuding Jean Grey (one of the best acts of the night for me).

So I came in from Ohio for the show and was not disappointed. Jean Grey and Skillz stole the show. As for The Legendary this is why I came to the show. Yes the crowd was not as amped for the new ish, and that midset Push Up Ya Lighter almost blew the roof off the venue. LB did they're thing, but the only criticism I have from the corwd was the amount of acts you continued to pump at us nonstop. By Def Jux I think the crowd just needed a break. Even the Ashton Kutcher look alikes next to me that new every word Aesop & Vast Aires spit looked a bit tired by the time they came out.

Bottom line had the whole Def Jux part of the show been cut, the show would have been fire. I did see Pete Rock & CL Smooth and didn't get to enjoy it as much as I should have because I was just drained by the time they got out. You got to remember standing on your feet for an hour and a half doing nothing before the show to get good positioning takes alot out of you.

So I managed to gain my composure for your last set and feel the energy you brought, but still props to you for staying behind your kit for so long, I had a tough time just standing there and focusing in the audience.

****my Highlights
1. BT dusting off his Rhyme book for the Illadelph classics.
2. J Live getting behind the tables and cutting up the beat to bragging writes while flowing at the same time.
3.Jean Grey & Skillz energy on the mic (props to LB as well but I just don't feel they're verses..yet!)
4.Thoughts attempts at audience participation to get the crowd back into it...I was with him but people were dragging.
5. going back to my hotel after the show and running into Pete Rock, chatting with him for a minute and looking over and noticing it's none other than Missy Elliot walking towards us.
5597, I hate living in TX sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by J_Bear29, Wed Dec-31-03 01:23 PM
I can't believe I'm missing all this good shit happening up north!!!!!!!! I know though you guys love playing STubbs, but still we don't get to see cool shit like this. Damnit!

Most people die with their music still locked up inside them.
-- Benjamin Disraeli
5598, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by Waterdude, Wed Dec-31-03 02:55 PM
oh look...a new york crowd not satisfied with having a hip hop show....isnt that something, while we in omaha, nebraska go crazy for chamillionaire, mike jones, paul wall, and twista....thanks roots for doing seven nights in NYC....while never doing a night in the midwest....thank you very much.
5599, lol
Posted by thembi, Wed Dec-31-03 03:12 PM
i feel ya
5600, actually..it was philly's own
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Dec-31-03 03:16 PM

5601, RE: actually..it was philly's own
Posted by Waterdude, Wed Dec-31-03 03:28 PM
r u fucking serious?...that makes it so much better...u know wha......FUCK ALL OF U BIG CITY MUHFUCKAS....can't appreciate shit....i will continue to support my local artists like toot, pocket pete, and the CORNHUSTLER, can u believe it....we got someone called the CORNHUSTLER...i am gonna go jump off a building now. I hate all of u.
5602, rotfl @ cornhustler
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Dec-31-03 03:38 PM

5603, Cornhustler
Posted by theScholar3000, Wed Dec-31-03 05:02 PM
>can u believe it....we got someone called the CORNHUSTLER...

LMAO!

Why did you run off secretly and deceive me? Why didn't you tell me, so I could send you away with joy and singing to the music?

The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."

The revolution will not be televised/it will be waged and revised/by the principalities/to remove all falicies/so the truth can and will be known/have you now been shown? - the5philosopher

When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.
5604, Cornhustler
Posted by theScholar3000, Wed Dec-31-03 05:04 PM
>can u believe it....we got someone called the CORNHUSTLER...

LMAO!

Why did you run off secretly and deceive me? Why didn't you tell me, so I could send you away with joy and singing to the music?

The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."

The revolution will not be televised/it will be waged and revised/by the principalities/to remove all falicies/so the truth can and will be known/have you now been shown? - the5philosopher

When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.
5605, yikes
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Jan-01-04 05:20 AM
cornhustler?!?!?

well---as alaways we fight to go to new places each album out. its just that sometimes there isnt a demand for the group in a particular city. and sometimes we can't afford to play places that can't cover us on the finance tip.

not on the greedy end, but just to cover costs. we can do 2 nights at the chicago house of blues, because 9 times out of 10 that show will sell out and thus it makes sense to play there.

this year for instance, we came to alabama for the first time. we did a festival that was seen by 10,000 people. we did a good job, so there was a demanad for us to come back, unfortunately there isnt a venue that could cover costs for us (you either play a small under 1000 people club and we can charge 90 bucks--or you gotta be justin big and rock 18,000 people, which in alabama we would never ever sell out)

there is no middle venue (roots can play and sell out 2,000-5,000 spot on its own at SOME markets)

the goal is to have "middle ground" spots that will let us keep ticket prices affordable, but sell enough tickets so that we can cover prices.

this is why we can't play markets that don't have a big demand for us. it's not like we just say "oh fuck the midwest" "or "fuck africa"......trust me, we get offers from all over. but for some markets that there isn't a demand for the group, its hard to play there unless we open for well established acts.

but maybe our luck will change with album nummber 7
5606, RE: yikes
Posted by bassndaplace, Thu Jan-01-04 05:25 AM
>but maybe our luck will change with album nummber 7

*toast* to that - although you've never had a problem filling up clubs and college's here in Rochester, NY...
5607, RE: yikes
Posted by bamellgr, Sat Jan-03-04 04:59 AM
I guess that's why you don't play here in the Tampa Bay area. We have a huge gap in what our venues can hold.

State Theatre: 500
Jannus Landing: 1300
Masquerade: 1300
USF Sun Dome: 15000
St. Pete Times Forum: 20000

I guess you could play Ruth Eckerd Hall, but they hardly ever have rock shows, let alone a Hip Hop show.
5608, one mo gin...
Posted by Ts_Aura818, Mon Jan-05-04 01:54 PM
whelp qoolquest said it is his "dream show" make the dream come true playa.. That would pretty much cover everyone's tastebuds not to mention your wallets (If you play it, they WILL come) Also it would scale down your tour time vs being "home" to really work on other stuff y'all are aspiring to do. 7 shows, 1 wk,(House of Blues or Knitting Factory in LA) Knitting in NY and places like that across the country and then the hot spots across seas... 2 words HOT SAUCE.

Keep the planet posted :>

5609, Jazz Café for less than $20, tho'?
Posted by Flite, Mon Jan-05-04 11:38 PM

5610, RE: yikes
Posted by chocolatestar, Tue Jan-06-04 08:12 AM
okayplayer winter tour in chicago ...you know we will show yall mad love!
5611, werd. i am in the midwest and i get mad when we...
Posted by DawgEatah, Wed Jan-07-04 01:25 PM
... finally get someone dope and either 1) not enough folks come out or 2) folks come out but then have zero energy. i lived in DC and LA for the past 10 years and when i go to shows in STL now, i get embarrassed on some "see now this is why cool shows don't come here"

well, the small venue show you did in STL was dope as fuck. i hope y'all keep doing that. shit was sick, but i almost didn't know it existed... in other words - there was near zero advertising.

anyway thanks.

*shrugs*

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§

"I'm outta here as soon as i fix the Flux Capacitor" ~mf doom

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§
5612, schooly d LINK:
Posted by eclipsedInI, Wed Dec-31-03 03:55 PM
http://www.adultswim.com/clips/athf/audio/one/index.html
5613, Reading this has made me officially..
Posted by Ayatollah Watts, Wed Dec-31-03 09:39 PM
upset that I can't make it to the DC show... and I had planned and planned and planned... but you can never can prepare for the unknown

*steams with anger*
5614, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by SoulBrothaElroy, Wed Dec-31-03 09:45 PM
I gotta admit that made my night.

I was the goofy motherfucker with spikey ass dreads wylin out in the front.

"ay....Ya'll know your ABC's?????..."
5615, This is the funniest shit, I'd pay for...
Posted by Nabs, Thu Jan-01-04 08:21 AM
it on DVD with commentary from you and schooly d.
5616, RE: this old man....he played six
Posted by beth, Thu Jan-01-04 08:53 AM
a plea to play the old school joints. you know there are tons of old heads in dc who will pick up on the illadelph lyrics where bt drops off. oganix and dywm are back in rotation for the post new years cleaning. looking forward to seeing jean grae too -she is an amazing mc on the cd, i cant wait to see her live.
5617, I refuse to believe that Schooly D...
Posted by dancnf00l, Thu Jan-01-04 12:24 PM
...was not drunk

(Quest said "he was not drunk y'all.")
5618, RE: I refuse to believe that Schooly D...
Posted by Scrapluv, Thu Jan-01-04 12:49 PM
>...was not drunk
>
>(Quest said "he was not drunk y'all.")

he was on "some other shit"

we dont have to spell it out, right?
5619, I guess this means........
Posted by Tcallquest18, Thu Jan-01-04 01:52 PM
I can kiss my "What they Do"/ classics requests goodbye. I suppose sometimes its just better to move on than dwell on the past. Damn, I swear people are crazy to not have a response to some of those classic joints. It makes zero sense to me.
5620, dude go write a Roots song book
Posted by Ason, Fri Jan-02-04 10:10 PM
with tabs and notation
5621, Swept Away
Posted by ThaCamillion, Mon Jan-05-04 09:39 AM
So I'm standing there with my CREW (at the 9:30 Club, Thursday) swaying with the beat, all up in the MOMENT when I hear the beginning of Swept Away. (I've never heard that live) I get all AMPED like "YOOOO" then they switched it up and there I stood, still vibing but a little hurt... What a dirty trick guys...

Other then that incident the show was TIGHT (oh & except for the absence of my man PETE & CL) Little Brother has a new backer over here. I think it has a lil something to do with an inpromptu salsa number with Ms. Jean Grae and certain KRIS KROSS-inspired dance.

If- I mean when The Roots do that 7 day joint, I am there. Me and my camera. That just might top the $5 show at O.D.U. in 2000 where Hub pimped out WHITE LINES among other tracks thus basically inspiring me to pick up a guitar.

SKILLZ... 2003! Tight! Lemme borrow that jacket? I know I know, it might be a lil bit 2 big, but I'm saying though.

Jean Grae. Those sneakers. The truth. Word. Rhymes. Tight. I tried to tell the people. They had to see it first hand.

PEACE
5622, 40 bucks for a dvd or vhs copy of the antics
Posted by sun_das_ill, Mon Jan-05-04 10:44 AM
i'm dead serious.
5623, That RI Show lol
Posted by promochaos, Mon Jan-05-04 04:21 PM
I was there!!! The Strand back in 97 or 98. Thought got pissed when they did "Put up Ya Lighter" and nobody did.

-CHAOS
5624, YO SCHOOLY D did the theme song for AQUATEEN
Posted by sun_das_ill, Mon Jan-05-04 07:31 PM
I almost forgot,should of made that fool do that song......ah well its over with.
*kicks dirt*

5625, wow
Posted by WuGambina, Tue Jan-06-04 04:09 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<----Avi photo by Shunjen aka Kyle Barker

Walking by faith and not by sight....
5626, i was disappointed at the first show in philly
Posted by jideff215, Tue Jan-06-04 08:53 AM
i guess i forgot that it was the okayplayer tour ie a showcase of a lot of other cats

skillz was dope

jean grae was nice

little brother was ok

all them other cats were ok

but i was trying to hear the roots more, i was surprised yall only played like 3-4 or your songs at the end. i understand and respect that yall were on the instruments the whole night playing for everybody.

yo why was black reading his lyrics off of looseleaf?

and who was that 14 yearold cat who spat a rhyme in the beginning