Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303786

Subject: "Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)" Previous topic | Next topic
LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
35670 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)"
Fri Aug-10-18 12:50 PM by LeroyBumpkin

I love Metroid-Vania games like this.

I've devoured almost all of the preview videos of this game on YouTube.
My concern...the perma-death aspect of the game.
There are no check points, so essentially when you die (which is a lot),
you go back to the beginning.
The comment section has been full of people complaining about it.

The offset (from what I've been hearing in the reviews) is that
there are multiple ways to play the game so you can go different routes.
Or, you need to go through it multiple times to obtain certain weapons, items, etc.

Thoughts?

Dead Cells Review (Gamespot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbfxPptEU6M

Dead Cells Is An Instant Classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trTQQljBEok

@dseals | @digife
https://digife.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's very good. been playing for a few weeks
Aug 10th 2018
Definitely gonna cop.
Aug 11th 2018
      RE: Definitely gonna cop.
Aug 11th 2018
My GOTY so far
Aug 29th 2018
RE: Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)
Sep 06th 2018
One of my fav videogame experiences in a minute
Sep 06th 2018
Just got this on PS4
Sep 25th 2018
Been meaning to reply back to this post
Jul 01st 2019
If you love the broadsword, you gotta beat the game at least once
Jul 01st 2019
I have questions & thoughts
Aug 05th 2019
RE: I have questions & thoughts
Aug 05th 2019
Aug 05th 2019
Aug 05th 2019

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
7468 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 03:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's very good. been playing for a few weeks"
In response to Reply # 0

the "flow state" of the game is not hard to achieve and it feels great when it's active. there is a lot of variety to the builds you can create and it seems like most weapons and powers are effective in their own right or in combination with other weapons, powers, and mutations. the controls are top notch (even though the double jump is trash and misleading) which facilitates getting into that flow state. the level design is fantastic. each area ("biome") feels discrete from the others, most of them having unique mechanics and layouts, i.e. the clock tower being a mostly vertical affair, as opposed to more horizontal levels like the ramparts and promenade of the condemned. the progression system is well done, letting the player organically unlock new weapons, powers, and biomes by simply getting better at the game. great stuff. people should play this game

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
35670 posts
Sat Aug-11-18 10:41 AM

2. "Definitely gonna cop."
In response to Reply # 1

The weapons system and level design hit me first.
I just didn't understand the mechanics of the blueprints
and how you progress through the game.

But yeah, the overall consensus is that the game is amazing.

@dseals | @digife

bearfield
7468 posts
Sat Aug-11-18 02:22 PM

3. "RE: Definitely gonna cop."
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Aug-11-18 02:25 PM by bearfield

>The weapons system and level design hit me first.
>I just didn't understand the mechanics of the blueprints
>and how you progress through the game.

it seems like you have to prove that you have a good grip on the movement and combat before the game reveals its depth. it took me longer than expected to grasp everything but once i did the blueprints and runes started flowing in and the game really started to open up. my impression is that in order to have a successful run you need to acquire the most powerful weapon/power/mutation combination as quickly as possible, then run through the biomes 1- or 2-shotting everything and picking up as many resources as you want/need at a rapid pace so you can unlock the timed doors for more resources

look for complementary attributes on weapons. i think one of the earliest blueprints you can get is the assassin's dagger, which inflicts critical hits when you're behind an enemy. you can pair the dagger with a freezing weapon like the ice bow or frost blast to freeze the enemy while you roll behind it for some crits. you can also re-roll the attributes on the dagger. it's possible to get an attribute on the dagger that does +175% damage to frozen enemies or +15% backstab damage, or +20% critical hit damage

there are also weapons and powers that can stack damaging status effects on enemies, put enemies into a state for constant critical attacks, or draw enemies into one concentrated area so you can drop big area of effect attacks on them. there are a lot of possibilities for builds and the game encourages experimentation and re-rolling attributes until a powerful combination is achieved. just keep making runs and you'll unlock more and more ways to facilitate getting that perfect combination that lets you cut through enemies and bosses

https://imgur.com/e4O6kby

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39829 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 11:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "My GOTY so far"
In response to Reply # 0

Dunno how many hours I put into it already but it's a lot.

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126179 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)"
In response to Reply # 0

A few weeks in on the Switch.

It's really fun but I burn out on it pretty quickly. I'm noticing that I need more narrative to drive me to continue games nowadays. But it's a good game to pick up, play for an hour or so and put away and feel like I made a lil progress.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 02:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "One of my fav videogame experiences in a minute"
In response to Reply # 0

I figured it was gonna be a 2D Soul’s game….punishingly hard until you ‘git gud’, but I was surprised at how breazy it was. When I get a bad ‘roll’ as far as gear is concerned I just make it work. And since death is never random or cheap I don’t get the same controller destroying urge. I also appreciate the controls; many of the 16 bit homages feel weird/floaty, this is perfect.

For instance In a session I was maybe 60% through the game, had godly weapon combinations and was pretty sure the run was good enough to get a crack at the last boss. Cleared everything out and decided to double back and knowingly hit a cursed chest i skilled on the way out...50% sure the next level was a boss level. So when the gate closed and the boss music came on, all I could do was laugh and try to avoid the inevitable one hit as long as I could, lol.

I get PI’s point above on the lack of story but in contrast to other games that try hard and fail miserably (Vanilla Destiny 2, im talking to you) ill take the in-jokes and breezy vibe to everything. It’s a nice little palate cleanser after playing something more ‘hardcore’.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44553 posts
Tue Sep-25-18 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Just got this on PS4"
In response to Reply # 0

It's nice and painful. Just how I like my games.

---
http://www.facebook.com/kuroverse
http://www.youtube.com/user/thespikespeigel
@kuroverse
PSN: Jetblack
---
Stay +.
Lone ABQ OKP. I am the danger.
---

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
35670 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 12:10 PM

8. "Been meaning to reply back to this post"
In response to Reply # 0

I love this game.

I didn't really know what I was doing at first, but now that I get how to use the upgrades and how to attack certain enemies, it's mad fun. The broad sword, while heavy, is extremely satisfying. I love mixing it up with the shooting traps. The one thing I wish I knew when I first started is that I didn't have to rush to those timed doors. I end up with a much more powerful character when I take my time in the 1st Prisoner level.

Again, love this game.

@dseals | @digife

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13933 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 06:36 PM

9. "If you love the broadsword, you gotta beat the game at least once"
In response to Reply # 8

The weapon they add to the item pool is relatively rare but it's always a super fun time when you get it.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
35670 posts
Mon Aug-05-19 08:25 AM

10. "I have questions & thoughts"
In response to Reply # 0

1. I'm obsessed with this game. I love it.

2. Beat it on normal (I guess that would be 0BC). Went to 1BC and couldn't get out of the prisoner's quarters. That next level difficulty is no joke.

3. I prefer melee weapons, specifically the nutcracker. I pair that up w/ something frozen and can do pretty good.

4. Oh, and I'm kinda getting used to using the Hokuto Bow. Not so great for running through biomes, but fantastic for end bosses.

5. I DO NOT for the life of me, understand the + and ++ weapon tiers. I would love an explanation for this. The roman numeral numbers are pretty straight forward. But does a Blood Sword I+ beat out a Blood Sword III? Or a better question, is it better to upgrade your level 1 melee weapon with (++) over looking for a higher roman numeral? Again, I'm not exactly sure how the tiers work. I basically just look at the DPS and compare.

6. I hate that I unlocked the boots. Other weapons I hate: The Repeater's Crossbow, Cursed Sword, Balanced Blade and the Blood Sword.

7. HOW COME NOBODY TOLD ME the new suits didn't do anything?!

@dseals | @digife

bearfield
7468 posts
Mon Aug-05-19 01:53 PM

11. "RE: I have questions & thoughts"
In response to Reply # 10

>1. I'm obsessed with this game. I love it.
>
>2. Beat it on normal (I guess that would be 0BC). Went to 1BC
>and couldn't get out of the prisoner's quarters. That next
>level difficulty is no joke.

it's really just that one new enemy that throws me off. i find the triple daggers hard to evade. this is probably where shields help but i'd rather have a melee/ranged setup

>3. I prefer melee weapons, specifically the nutcracker. I
>pair that up w/ something frozen and can do pretty good.
>
>4. Oh, and I'm kinda getting used to using the Hokuto Bow. Not
>so great for running through biomes, but fantastic for end
>bosses.

it's fantastic with something that can crit reliably from a distance. the nutcracker is a little slow for me. i think my favorite setup is freezing cone + anything that swings quickly and crits on frozen enemies

>5. I DO NOT for the life of me, understand the + and ++ weapon
>tiers. I would love an explanation for this. The roman
>numeral numbers are pretty straight forward. But does a Blood
>Sword I+ beat out a Blood Sword III? Or a better question,
>is it better to upgrade your level 1 melee weapon with (++)
>over looking for a higher roman numeral? Again, I'm not
>exactly sure how the tiers work. I basically just look at the
>DPS and compare.

from https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Gear

• + quality generates the item with 2 more gear levels than usual.
• ++ quality generates the item with 4 more gear levels than usual, and gives +1 to one scaling Stat .
• S quality generates the item with 6 more gear levels than usual, and gives either +2 to one scaling stat or +1 to two scaling stats (if the item's base form is two-color).

>6. I hate that I unlocked the boots. Other weapons I hate:
>The Repeater's Crossbow, Cursed Sword, Balanced Blade and the
>Blood Sword.

this happened to me in early access. when the 1.0 release hit i took the reset as opportunity to "re-roll" my weapon and power pool. the blood sword is pretty good with the right attribute rolls but otherwise it's not great

>7. HOW COME NOBODY TOLD ME the new suits didn't do anything?!

they provide variety for your eyes?

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
35670 posts
Mon Aug-05-19 03:14 PM

12. "RE: I have questions & thoughts"
In response to Reply # 11

>>3. I prefer melee weapons, specifically the nutcracker. I
>>pair that up w/ something frozen and can do pretty good.
>>
>>4. Oh, and I'm kinda getting used to using the Hokuto Bow.
>Not
>>so great for running through biomes, but fantastic for end
>>bosses.
>
>it's fantastic with something that can crit reliably from a
>distance. the nutcracker is a little slow for me. i think my
>favorite setup is freezing cone + anything that swings quickly
>and crits on frozen enemies

Yeah both the nutcracker, broadsword and the Symmetrical Lance are mad slow, but for some reason they're my favorites. I find pleasure in trying to find a way to immobilize an enemy, and then go in with the kill.

>from https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Gear
>
>• + quality generates the item with 2 more gear levels than
>usual.
>• ++ quality generates the item with 4 more gear levels than
>usual, and gives +1 to one scaling Stat .
>• S quality generates the item with 6 more gear levels than
>usual, and gives either +2 to one scaling stat or +1 to two
>scaling stats (if the item's base form is two-color).

Thank you. I've been to the wiki page a lot.
So basically if I'm in the forge with a Weapon I" and pay money
to upgrade it with a (+), it's now equal to a Weapon III?

>>7. HOW COME NOBODY TOLD ME the new suits didn't do
>anything?!
>
>they provide variety for your eyes?

Joy.

@dseals | @digife

bearfield
7468 posts
Mon Aug-05-19 03:49 PM

13. "RE: I have questions & thoughts"
In response to Reply # 12

>Thank you. I've been to the wiki page a lot.
>So basically if I'm in the forge with a Weapon I" and pay
>money
>to upgrade it with a (+), it's now equal to a Weapon III?

i believe that's the case. the above Weapon I+ should be a +25% weapon. it might be about the ability to house additional attributes as well. i noticed that legendary weapons always had 3+ attributes that could be rerolled

again from the wiki:

Gear with high enough gear levels can have special effects which scale with gear level:
Weapons and skills that deal significant damage get a + 25% damage multiplier for every 2 gear levels above gear level 1, including the bonus gear levels added by "+", "++", "S", or "L" variants. A damage multiplier increases the base damage dealt by its item, before it scales up to its final value by Stats . It is always shown in the displayed damage output since it's always active - unlike situational damage multipliers like most damage-boosting Affixes .

>>>7. HOW COME NOBODY TOLD ME the new suits didn't do
>>anything?!
>>
>>they provide variety for your eyes?
>
>
>Joy.

this concept of cosmetics is commonplace in roguelikes and other games that are meant to be played over and over. you're constantly running the same levels with the same character so it's nice to have a slight visual break from the default costume. persona 5 has additional costumes. bayonetta does too, as does spelunky

https://imgur.com/e4O6kby

Lobby High-Tech topic #303786 Previous topic | Next topic