Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17483

Subject: "Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 04:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"

Why Voodoo Backfired
by Brain C. Hild

Before this commentary goes any further, one thing must be set straight:

I really enjoyed the album.

A lot.

I just feel that such an ambitious project was unnecessarily, and possibly unknowingly, self-destructed.

In late 1999, the first single from D'angelo's long-awaited sophmore album, "Voodoo", was released to very little to no fanfare. "Left & Right", which featured a guest appearance by America's Most Blunted (a.k.a Redman & Method Man) was a simple funk number based around very minimal instrumentation. The accompanying video, which may have been aired about as many times as the last few Prince videos, was an odd, psychedelic, sweat drenched funk fest, featuring cameo appearances by George Clinton, Redman, Method Man, ?uestlove, and Cherokee. The video's production values weren't too far removed from those commonly seen in early 80s pop videos. While I understand and can appreciate the idea, it's not a very smart way to begin promotion for an album that many people have patiently waited for. The video quickly faded from television and failed to make a dent in radio.

A few quick months later, January 2000 arrives. Y2K fever has passed and the number of days until the release of the album that many said would revolutionieze R&B music are dwindling. To make up for the near disaster that "Left & Right" turned out to be, the follow-up single was wisely chosen. "Untitled (How Does It Feel)" is a slow, 6/8, sexy song reminiscent of Prince during his hey day. The song and its simplicity are brilliant. Raphael Saadiq, co-producer of th etrack, laid down a guitar line that I'm sure made the soon-to-be-resurrected Prince Rogers Nelson roll over in his paisley coffin. The music combined with those panty-wetting lyrics assured this writer that the revolution (no pun intended) was well under way.

And then the video arrived.

I'll spare us all the details of the video for fear that many of my female readers will suffer flashbacks and become unable to finish reading.

It really is unknown what the exact intent of the video was, perhaps its intentions were many:

A. To stimulate the women in a way normally reserved for men.
B. To increase the number of Ab-Rollers and health club memberships sold.
or
3. To present D'angelo to the public with no bells and whistles.. just the man and his music.

I'm sure if you asked D'angelo, Dominique Trenier, or Paul Hunter what their intentions were, they will point you towards number 3, being that it is the most "artistically respectable" of the 3 possibilities. They may have actually planned it that way, but in between the writing of the video treatment (which I'm sure was about 5 words long: D'angelo, naked, plain background, ch-ching!) and the airing of the video, I'm sure the concept was lost. D'angelo's (ahem) enthusiasm towards the end of the video prompted many a viewer to wonder whether or not D'angelo was alone on the set. The many close-ups of D'angelo's body dripping with perspiration just turned him into a sex object for women, thus taking their attention away from the brilliant song and focusing on their moistening nether regions.

I'm not making judgment on D'angelo's artistic integrity or whether nor am I saying that D'angelo was wrong in exploring (or should it be "exploiting") his sexuality. In its pure form, it is a great idea, but seeing as how man perverts (once again, no pun intended) everything, it should've been obvious to all involve that trying to maintain artistic integrity while being butt booty naked on television is virtually impossible. I hope D'angelo was fully aware of the risk he was taking. If not, he must have received one hell of a wake up call when the tour began.

Episodes 1 and 2 of the Voodoo tour can be summed up in 23 words.

1. Screaming
2. Women
3. Ripped
4. Wife-beater
5. "Take
6. It
7. Off"
8. Hardcore
9. Funk
10. Music
11. Good
12. Times

I was fortunate enough to witness the tour first hand when it stopped in Indianapolis in August. I was also unfortunate enough to witness the hordes of beautiful women (gat-damn!!!) screaming at D'angelo as if they were at a male strip joint. They totally ignored the on stage brilliance of D'angelo and the Soultronics and focused on the biceps, the abs, and the ass. I often found myself rolling my eyes at the way D'angelo toyed with the women in the crowd (who really weren't women at this point.. many of the more mature women were acting as if they were 10 years old at a New Edition concert back in 1984). I wished that there had been more of a balance between D'angelo's libidinous energy and his musical passion.

Okay.. to sum up all the sex stuff, it overshadowed the music and brought people (women.. and a few guys) away from what *I* thought the whole Voodoo project was about: bringing songwriting and good musicianship back to the forefront.

Midway through the tour, Virgin Records released the third single from the album. "Send It On." Oh no. Another slow song. Obviously milking the sex god image that was surrounding D'angelo at the time, Virgin thought this would be a good idea. It was also thought by many that releasing a live performance video would be a good idea. It would serve double purpose: promote the tour and show people that D'angelo is still all about music. The only problem with this reasoning, I feel, is that the "Send It On" clip did not accurately represent what was going on during the Voodoo tour. Yes, clips of other portions of the show were interspersed throughout the clip, but it was quite distracting to see D'angelo and his backup dancers doing some high energy step while the band crawled through "Send It On."

Upon further thought, the live video concept would not really work with *any* of the songs from Voodoo as they were performed live on tour. "Feel Like Making Love" would've lost some points for being a cover tune (although I can count on one hand the number of people I know that knew that it was a cover). "Devil's Pie" would not have worked because the first minute or so of the song is done in complete darkness with very little movement on stage. So, in my opinion, the concept should've been scrapped.

While looking at the rest of the songs that "Voodoo" has to offer, the only other obvious single was "Devil's Pie" which had already been featured in the film "Belly." None of the other songs on the album were really suited for release as a single. Many of the songs suffered from being repetitive midtempo songs that often ended in similar fashion to the way they started... all groove, very little substance (once again, i'd like to refer you to my opening statement).

Voodoo's lack of substance also hurt it. Whereas a lack of substance is the norm, most people don't spend 4-5 years working on something that sounds like it could've been put together in the span of a few months. As a whole, it is quite underwhelming. There are several good ideas and concepts throughout the album (I wish the "Booty" segment of "Greatdayndamornin" had been developed a lot more). If the album had been released one year after "Brown Sugar", I would not be writing this paragraph. Just another case of "too little too late."

Okay... I"m beginning to ramble here, and unlike D'angelo when recording "The Root" and "Feel Like Making Love", i'm going to stop before this gets any more tedious.

--me--
visit my website dammit
http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild

The Jawn - March Beat of the Month
produced by yours truly
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/botm0301.ram

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ouch!
Mar 31st 2001
RE: ouch!
Mar 31st 2001
RE: ouch!
Mar 31st 2001
The Business
Apr 01st 2001
RE: The Business
Apr 01st 2001
      RE: The Business
Apr 01st 2001
      FYI
Apr 02nd 2001
      what is this shit?
Apr 04th 2001
but what a circle it is!
Apr 02nd 2001
      Angelique Kidjo?
Apr 02nd 2001
      most of the D???
Apr 02nd 2001
      RE: but what a circle it is!
Apr 04th 2001
thoughts, comments and other...
Mar 31st 2001
You're a hater!
Apr 02nd 2001
i understand..
Mar 31st 2001
RE: i understand..
Mar 31st 2001
      dear broke azz:
Mar 31st 2001
           dear one-hit-wonder group from 1987:
Mar 31st 2001
The bottom line is this:
vuduchild
Mar 31st 2001
RE: The bottom line is this:
Mar 31st 2001
      RE: The bottom line is this:
vuduchild
Mar 31st 2001
RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary
Mar 31st 2001
Mar 31st 2001
Mar 31st 2001
Mar 31st 2001
Soulful Brotha Max Steele
Mar 31st 2001
Apr 02nd 2001
i likeded it.
Mar 31st 2001
Thoughts
Mar 31st 2001
RE: Thoughts
Mar 31st 2001
Mar 31st 2001
that was uncalled for
Apr 02nd 2001
      RE: that was uncalled for
Apr 04th 2001
k_ysla
Mar 31st 2001
I can almost get w/this
Apr 01st 2001
RE: I can almost get w/this
Apr 01st 2001
I agree with BrainChild
Apr 01st 2001
I dont think I wrote a paper that good in 5 1/2 years of college
Apr 01st 2001
Untitled - gay man's fantasy
Apr 01st 2001
I, AT TIMES, AGREE WITH YOU BRAIN...
Apr 01st 2001
Brainchild
Apr 01st 2001
aww, BrainChild's all growns up
Apr 01st 2001
IMHO releasing "Send It On" as...
Apr 02nd 2001
Hey man... I've got this one website... y-y...you wanna write for it? n/...
Apr 01st 2001
I'm sayin tho 4real son whats the deal nah mean?
Apr 01st 2001
      ummmmm...
Apr 01st 2001
I almost fully agree
Apr 02nd 2001
basically n/m
Apr 02nd 2001
Damn
Apr 02nd 2001
the funk might fracture you're nose (c) nate
Apr 02nd 2001
VOODOO WILL BE LEGENDARY!
Toya
Apr 02nd 2001
RE: VOODOO WILL BE LEGENDARY!
Princeguy
Apr 04th 2001
      AND YOU SAID ALL THAT..........
Toya
Apr 04th 2001
but Jill went plat too!
Apr 02nd 2001
here's a concept
Apr 02nd 2001
yeah
Apr 04th 2001
RE: here's a concept
Apr 04th 2001
Apr 02nd 2001
marketing question for anybody
Apr 02nd 2001
CAN THE CHURCH SAY AMEN N/M!
Apr 03rd 2001
Hey Marketing...Voodoo Live - NOT
ladyt277
Apr 04th 2001
WHY YOU THINK IT KEEPS GETTING PUSHED BACK?!
Apr 04th 2001
Why Brainchild should release a record
peacefornow
Apr 04th 2001
The above should read "...his own album." n/m
peacefornow
Apr 04th 2001
^^^...his own album dammit!
peacefornow
Apr 04th 2001
RE: Why Brainchild should release a record
Apr 04th 2001
RE: Why Brainchild should release a record
Apr 04th 2001
villa
Apr 12th 2001
hahahahaha
Apr 13th 2001

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ouch!"
In response to Reply # 0

when we release "introducing the roots" will y'all:

1. analyze our shit too?
2. be nice to us?

jokes. sure could it have been "bigger"? i'm sure. alot of that fell on d. he moves at his own pace. can't knock that shit.

i for one yell victory. i never considered any record that sells more than a million "falling flat". and no one said we were "here to save you all".

i see influence of this record more than most shit released in the last few. even in the smallest ways. artists, musicians, producers alike are now changing their steeze. just because d aint flex on trl don't mean shit.

matter of fact had he,.....all here would cry "foul!!!" i'm sure we are all tired of hearing "ms. jackson".

so what it is is what it is.

he happy.

so am i.

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-life after death
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Mpozi
Charter member
1629 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:14 PM

2. "RE: ouch!"
In response to Reply # 1

touche monsiour le quest!

all of this verifies the greatness of the album- nobody is gonna be taking the "cha-cha" slide apart note by note in a year...

PoZi (;=

i like to see cats with careers instead of singles...
makes for better discussion over time...

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:37 PM

6. "RE: ouch!"
In response to Reply # 1

>when we release "introducing the roots"
>will y'all:
>
>1. analyze our shit too?
>2. be nice to us?

hehehe... look for my Things Fall Apart commentary next week (maybe...)

>sure could it have been
>"bigger"?

i have no problem with the album itself (except for its occasionaly monotony)... the way it was promoted is where the greatest faults lie.

>i for one yell victory. i
>never considered any record that
>sells more than a million
>"falling flat".

yes... 1 million is a victory, albeit a minor one. but it didn't seem like Virgin was really behind the album. 3 singles... only one of which received any kind of promotion, 1 good video, 2 forgettable videos... damn... D really is trying to follow Prince's career path isn't he? (just playin!!!!)

>and no one
>said we were "here to
>save you all".

not necessarily that.. but... and i quote... "this is what we need today...this is no miseducation ....this is the blueprint right here!"

and what's really funny is that listening to Lauryn's album for the first time in over a year is what prompted me to write this post.

>i see influence of this record
>more than most shit released
>in the last few.

i'm not noticing much influence except within the soulquarian circle. sure the whole "neo-soul" bullshit is starting to flourish, and i don't want to say where i'm seeing influences there because... well i don't want your litmus test coming up with false results...and once again *that* is inside the soulquarian circle.

>just because
>d aint flex on trl
>don't mean shit.

D's market isn't the TRL crowd. thats why it wouldn't make sense for him to be on there. I'm still trying to figure out why Prince was on there.

>so what it is is what
>it is.

and it is good... could've done better though... why did Virgin dead the album so quickly? was it because there wasn't anything radio friendly left on the album??? what happened to that proposed "Chicken Grease" remix?

--me--
visit my website dammit

"fuck this shit! fuck jkilla imma do justin timberlake's whole fucking album so that we can get a server that works the first time i print some shit." - def doe money

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 07:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "The Business"
In response to Reply # 6

>yes... 1 million is a victory,
>albeit a minor one.

what the fuck?

dude, look at how many R&B albums were released the same year as "Voodoo". Then look at how many went platinum. My guess is less than 5% of the R&B cats that dropped ever saw a platinum plaque. and only one successful single?!?!? that's a fucking success, sparky.

question: do you really have an understanding of the music industry or are you one of those cats that complains about how a record was promoted, determines whether a certain level of sales is a success, and really has no earthly idea what they're talking about?

>but it didn't seem like
>Virgin was really behind the
>album. 3 singles...

cough. if they weren't behind it, there would have only been ONE single.

> only one
>of which received any kind
>of promotion, 1 good video,
>2 forgettable videos...

labels don't direct videos.

> damn... D
>really is trying to follow
>Prince's career path isn't he?
> (just playin!!!!)

This is D's *second* album. What the hell, man...

>>and no one
>>said we were "here to
>>save you all".
>
>not necessarily that.. but... and i
>quote... "this is what we
>need today...this is no miseducation
>....this is the blueprint right
>here!"

so, what's wrong with the album? forget about the promotion. that's on virgin. you called it monotonous, I believe. Surely you can be more descriptive than that.

>>i see influence of this record
>>more than most shit released
>>in the last few.
>
>i'm not noticing much influence except
>within the soulquarian circle.
>sure the whole "neo-soul" bullshit
>is starting to flourish, and
>i don't want to say
>where i'm seeing influences there
>because... well i don't want
>your litmus test coming up
>with false results...and once again
>*that* is inside the soulquarian
>circle.

litmus test? why would you care about his "litmus test" results anyway?

this business is about money, obviously. D's record did well enough for Def Jam to think it should put millions behind Musiq. If D flopped saleswise, I doubt Bilal would have gotten a deal. And, in terms of negative influence, I get to see this Tank guy half-naked in his video, too. Soon, it's gonna be the era of the Musclebound Singing Guy. Thanks, D. HA.

>>just because
>>d aint flex on trl
>>don't mean shit.
>
>D's market isn't the TRL crowd.
> thats why it wouldn't
>make sense for him to
>be on there. I'm
>still trying to figure out
>why Prince was on there.

Again, this is a business. You think Virgin *didn't* want D on TRL? Please...nowadays, an artist's "crowd" is whoever the artist's label is clever enough to convince to like them. ha. I mean, do you think TRL is Marilyn Manson's "crowd"? I've seen him on there...

>>so what it is is what
>>it is.
>
>and it is good... could've done
>better though... why did Virgin
>dead the album so quickly?
>was it because there wasn't
>anything radio friendly left on
>the album??? what happened
>to that proposed "Chicken Grease"
>remix?

How long do you expect them to continue promoting the album? Shit, how many singles did Sisqo get to put out? His shit sold millions. Labels don't tend to run *that* long on promotions for an R&B album. So, relax and wait for the next joint...

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux -
Just listen, you will believe...

"I don't denounce writtens, but freestyling at its essence is improvising. It's spontaneous, uncut, mind, thought, travel, energy - all at the same time...the thing is to be at a peak where your freestyle sounds like your writtens and vice versa" - Aceyalone on freestyling (Rappages, Sept. 95)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 08:38 AM

26. "RE: The Business"
In response to Reply # 24

>>yes... 1 million is a victory,
>>albeit a minor one.
>
>what the fuck?
>
>dude, look at how many R&B
>albums were released the same
>year as "Voodoo". Then look
>at how many went platinum.
>My guess is less than
>5% of the R&B cats
>that dropped ever saw a
>platinum plaque. and only one
>successful single?!?!? that's a fucking
>success, sparky.

okay. i'll give you this one.

>question: do you really have an
>understanding of the music industry
>or are you one of
>those cats that complains about
>how a record was promoted,
>determines whether a certain level
>of sales is a success,
>and really has no earthly
>idea what they're talking about?

answer: i don't claim to know everything about how the business works. i don't think anyone that doesn't have mafia ties knows everything about the business.

>>but it didn't seem like
>>Virgin was really behind the
>>album. 3 singles...
>
>cough. if they weren't behind it,
>there would have only been
>ONE single.

bless you. We'll just say it wasn't a priority for them. I'd love to get a look at the marketing plan Virgin drew up for this album.

>> only one
>>of which received any kind
>>of promotion, 1 good video,
>>2 forgettable videos...
>
>labels don't direct videos.

and i'm not blaming the label for the videos.

>> damn... D
>>really is trying to follow
>>Prince's career path isn't he?
>> (just playin!!!!)
>
>This is D's *second* album. What
>the hell, man...

THAT WAS A JOKE!!!!! sheesh! if we want to go album by album, D's already surpassed Prince.

>so, what's wrong with the album?

does no one believe me when I say I like the album? but its most definitely not perfect... and not even perfectly flawed.

>forget about the promotion. that's
>on virgin.

forgotten.

>you called it
>monotonous, I believe. Surely you
>can be more descriptive than
>that.

several of the songs have the same hot humid day/lazy/sluggish vibe to them. after awhile, it seems to just blend together into one long molasses coated song, i think placing "one mo gin" smack dab in the middle of the album may have hurt it. the middle of the album should've been more upbeat, perhaps switching "Chicken Grease" and "One Mo Gin" could solve that problem, and putting "The Root" after "Feel Like Making Love." I dunno. should I be more descriptive?

>>>i see influence of this record
>>>more than most shit released
>>>in the last few.
>>
>>i'm not noticing much influence except
>>within the soulquarian circle.
>>sure the whole "neo-soul" bullshit
>>is starting to flourish, and
>>i don't want to say
>>where i'm seeing influences there
>>because... well i don't want
>>your litmus test coming up
>>with false results...and once again
>>*that* is inside the soulquarian
>>circle.
>
>litmus test? why would you care
>about his "litmus test" results
>anyway?

because what i was going to mention was ?uest's "litmus test for idiots" (re: d'angelo and bilal comparisons)... i'm by no means an idiot, just someone who calls it as he sees/hears it.

>this business is about money, obviously.
>D's record did well enough
>for Def Jam to think
>it should put millions behind
>Musiq.

and his album is more reminiscent of "Brown Sugar" than "Voodoo"

>If D flopped saleswise,
>I doubt Bilal would have
>gotten a deal.

you may have a point there.. anyone know who the people behind the Moyo label are?

>And, in
>terms of negative influence, I
>get to see this Tank
>guy half-naked in his video,
>too. Soon, it's gonna be
>the era of the Musclebound
>Singing Guy. Thanks, D. HA.

LOL!

>Again, this is a business. You
>think Virgin *didn't* want D
>on TRL?

*actually* i think "Untitled" did make it on to TRL for awhile.

>I mean, do you think
>TRL is Marilyn Manson's "crowd"?
>I've seen him on there...

Manson is more about an image than music. he fits right in.

>How long do you expect them
>to continue promoting the album?

they didn't promote the album long enough, they should've released another single as soon as they realized that 'Send It Off' wasn't going anywhere. they stopped too soon.

>Shit, how many singles did
>Sisqo get to put out?

Got To Get It, Thong Song (mega-bubble), Incomplete (sat in the top 20 for quite awhile... i think it even hit #1). They were smart to stop after "Incomplete" so as not to interfere with his DMX collab, and to not overdo it anymore than they already had.

Voodoo still had a lot of potential, i just think that Virgin got scared and didn't want to risk having another single flop.

>So, relax and
>wait for the next joint...

ok.

--me--
Stank Titty Quotes:

"I know that ain't your underarms musty like that, that's them hot ass titties smelling like 18 Africans at a spades game in Nigeria. Nasty behind....." - skipgotskills

"ladies need that under the titty deodorant." - roamr1

"i have Glade Breast Plug-ins" - gloworm

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 06:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "RE: The Business"
In response to Reply # 26

>>Shit, how many singles did
>>Sisqo get to put out?
>
>Got To Get It, Thong Song
>(mega-bubble), Incomplete (sat in the
>top 20 for quite awhile...
>i think it even hit
>#1). They were smart
>to stop after "Incomplete" so
>as not to interfere with
>his DMX collab, and to
>not overdo it anymore than
>they already had.
>
>Voodoo still had a lot of
>potential, i just think that
>Virgin got scared and didn't
>want to risk having another
>single flop.

i think you may have missed my point.

i brought up sisqo to demonstrate that even a mega-successful r&b act doesn't get to see very many singles releases (i thought it was 3, but wasn't sure). the point is, virgin released a fairly typical number of singles from the D record. i don't think they were scared, i think they were pragmatic. they did what they could with an unconventional modern r&b record. and i'm sure you realize that "voodoo" wasn't an easy album to market in today's r&b climate. i hope you also realize that r&b albums as a general rule are pretty hard to market. if your r&b artist doesn't have a hit on radio, there's not much else you can do. (contrast that with hip-hop, where cats with little radio play can still go gold...because you've got mix tapes, college radio, and hip-hop media...there isn't an R&B equivalent to The Source (don't say Vibe, the analogy doesn't work*)...there isn't any level of serious R&B mix tape scene...it's a hard thing to push...r&b crossover is an uphill climb, for whatever reason, so you have to break the urban market or die...).

* Vibe tends to mix it up: hip-hop, R&B *and* pop. Any given cover might go to a hip-hop artist or a pop star, but how many R&B male quartets have you seen on the cover? R&B female soloists? Anyway, when R&B cats are in Vibe, it's superstar level cats like R. fucking Kelly ("fucking" is officially a part of his stage name now, btw. ha.).

I could talk about this all day, but I won't.

I am of the opinion that Virgin did okay: not great, not horrible. You disagree. It's all good.

Know that R&B records are hard as fuck to market though.

I would respect your opinion a lot tougher if you threw up an alternative marketing plan. What would you have done?

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux -
Just listen, you will believe...

"I don't denounce writtens, but freestyling at its essence is improvising. It's spontaneous, uncut, mind, thought, travel, energy - all at the same time...the thing is to be at a peak where your freestyle sounds like your writtens and vice versa" - Aceyalone on freestyling (Rappages, Sept. 95)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

dayzblack
Charter member
1129 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:50 AM

45. "FYI"

>>If D flopped saleswise,
>>I doubt Bilal would have
>>gotten a deal.

Bilal was signed before VooDoo even hit stores.

Follow me on Twitter, and talk shit LIVE!
http://twitter.com/dlemoncomedy

ZioN
Charter member
2792 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 12:24 AM

54. "what is this shit?"

nah nah nah
just slow down here fool
stop hating
why does this matter anyway?
alright, i'll give it to you, you had some nice points here and there and yeah, to re-but your reply or whatever, everyone is allowed their own opinion
however, i love this album and find it hard to understand anyone who holds it in contempt, moreso the albums publicity than its music
come on, what is more important, commercial recognition or good music
were you not aware that he won 2 grammys for it?
shit, now don't tell me it flopped or whatever, that's a fucking joke

brainchild, get over your damn self because i think you are being a little too synical and are just looking for some attention and wanna stir up the pot a bit
your comments are totally void of any logic, so do us all a favour in the future and shut up
possibly use the time you wasted writing your stupid 'commentary' more creatively....possibly by listening to voodoo properly

you aren't a brain, you a hating bitch with too much time on his hands
literally

peace and love to all ya'll out there smart enough to recognise brainchild's faults!

z

---

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 12:55 AM

36. "but what a circle it is!"
In response to Reply # 6

>>i see influence of this record
>>more than most shit released
>>in the last few.
>
>i'm not noticing much influence except
>within the soulquarian circle.
>sure the whole "neo-soul" bullshit
>is starting to flourish, and
>i don't want to say
>where i'm seeing influences there
>because... well i don't want
>your litmus test coming up
>with false results...and once again
>*that* is inside the soulquarian
>circle.

slum, tip, frank n dank, most of the d, spacek, dangelo, de la, black star, bilal, erykah, janet jackson, guru, jill scott, kindred, the roots, zach dela rocha, femi kuti, common, angelicque kudjo, nikka costa, pharcyde, musiq, roy ayers, sy smith, macy gray

this is only 1/8 of the list.

this surley has to be a big cirlce, no?

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-life after death
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 04:02 AM

39. "Angelique Kidjo?"
In response to Reply # 36

I'd love to hear more about how you feel like you've influenced her music. I haven't listened to anything of hers in years, and would love to know if her more recent stuff has more of a SoulQ's sound ...

love and respect,
El Rey

dedicated to preserving and sharing the music, dance and stories of the African diasporic experience: http://www.wemba-music.org

how I spit: http://www.mp3.com/Esthetics

http://www.mumia.org FREE MUMIA!
http://www.lpsg-co.org/ FREE LEONARD!

http://www.blackgrrrlrevolution.org
cuz yer either down with the revolution or not ...

THE VISION: INTRODUCING THE ROOTS. MCA. SPRING 2002.

side one
-start with short urs poem instead of end.
-introduce (5 part song in which each memeber talks about himself and music reflects lifestyle. ie
scratch beatboxing, soulquarian joint for me, keyboard thug synth for kamal and so on)
-kelo's joint. fast paced 113bpm spgtti wstrn joint.
-come on down joint (3 beat changes, use full larry orchestra)
-"want some more" (underdeveloped TFA song that i put under major construction, make riq do T
pendergrass voice)
-change the style jawn (SOB on acid shit)
-????
-????
-????

side 2
-ragtime jawn me and james worked on in jamaica. either that or the TFA clones style joint we never
finished
-skip jawn (riq rhyming over a record skipping off in various meters)
-jay shit (me singing in cher voice bending machine)
-single
-single
-single (i put em way later to force you to listen to album)
-tour de force epic at the end.

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general1/10654.html#12

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

ILLWILL
Charter member
25041 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 05:27 PM

52. "most of the D???"

you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there ?uest...being that I'm there almost monthly, i know for a FACT that there's tons of dope cats in and from the D that aren't part of the soulq circle...it's probably just most of the Slum/Jay Dee crew that's down with the soulquarians...you know?

..WILL..

Brainfood:
http://geocities.com/junebugs_sister/thoughts.htm

V I V R A N C E (2nd Branch)
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
ILLWILL - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Nickelz45 - Diamond D
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
Phil - The Rza
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

'Shitnobi Shaw': The Greatest Post 95% of you Never Saw.

i'm back...?

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 08:53 AM

58. "RE: but what a circle it is!"

speaking of the circle what happen to all the Jay Dee Presents: stuff i've seen on Napster. I got str8 jawns by frank-n-Dank, specek and dem. Is that cd coming out soon? One more question do ya know why SV wasnt on the Jay Dee cd?

ILLWILL
Charter member
25041 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 07:10 PM

18. "thoughts, comments and other..."
In response to Reply # 1

>when we release "introducing the roots"
>will y'all:
>
>1. analyze our shit too?
>2. be nice to us?

more than likely both will happen...there will also be

3. horrible scrutiny
4. calls for your head
5. reports of sexual innuendo happening while your album plays (backpacker/boho love)
6. urination (i don't even know why)

>i for one yell victory. i
>never considered any record that
>sells more than a million
>"falling flat". and no one
>said we were "here to
>save you all".

word. platinum is hardly failiure. but with the 4½ year wait, label expectations and his reputation, don't you think a little more was expected? I'm not sure how many albums were sold, but it would seem that the folks at Virgin would expect L-Boogie type numbers and grammy nominations and the like considering it was his first album on the new label. I mean, with the sucessful tour and the strength of Untitled, he proved he was a superstar...but more could have been attained. I'd think that the label would be more likely to give D the freedom to do things his way if the first album on virgin would have sold like 7xplat. Hopefully that ain't the case.

>i see influence of this record
>more than most shit released
>in the last few. even
>in the smallest ways. artists,
>musicians, producers alike are now
>changing their steeze.

*COUGHbabyfaceCOUGH*

>so what it is is what
>it is.
>
>he happy.
>
>so am i.

yeah, as are about 99% of the fans that bought it.

on a side note, for attempting to son me in that samples post from a few days back, i say this: ya mama is Mr T's stunt double.

..WILL..

Brainfood:
http://geocities.com/junebugs_sister/thoughts.htm

V I V R A N C E (2nd Branch)
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
ILLWILL - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Nickelz45 - Diamond D
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
Phil - The Rza
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

'Shitnobi Shaw': The Greatest Post 95% of you Never Saw.

i'm back...?

dayzblack
Charter member
1129 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:43 AM

44. "You're a hater!"
In response to Reply # 1

Quest your talented as shit. But, when cats bring an opinion to you, you get on the defensive and diss the poster or someone who has nuthin' at all to do w/ the argument, like OutKast, don't hate 'cause those cat's consistently outsell your squad, with GOOD product. Damn, You're an artist, you put your shit out there in the public, and you know and I know you can't please everyone, so don't take it so personal. Later.

Follow me on Twitter, and talk shit LIVE!
http://twitter.com/dlemoncomedy

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:19 PM

3. "i understand.."
In response to Reply # 0

your point, but d' has about 116.00 dollars of your money: 16 for the disc, and about 100 for tickets for episode one and two (not transportation, meals, etc.), just drawing interest.

can't finance a movement without a cash flow.

your still listening to the album, and your going to kick some more cash his way for the official live version.

cheeba sound is coming with a better marketing plan the second time around.

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:41 PM

7. "RE: i understand.."
In response to Reply # 3

>your point, but d' has about
>116.00 dollars of your money:
>16 for the disc, and
>about 100 for tickets for

$100 for tickets? i went to that concert by myself.. had a jolly olde tyme too.

>your still listening to the album,

*actually* Voodoo hasn't left it's jewel case in about 6-7 months.

>and your going to kick
>some more cash his way
>for the official live version.

not unless Virgin sends me an extra promo. i still haven't bought Mama's Gun yet... (hey.. i'm a poor college student that needs to get his car fixed and pay for his CMJ Conference registration and plane ticket to New York and hotel room... so leave me alone!)

>cheeba sound is coming with a
>better marketing plan the second
>time around.

hopefully better than what's going on with Nikka Costa..........

--me--
visit my website dammit

produced by yours truly

BADD AZZ MUTHAFUCKAZ
Brainchild (the brains behind the operation)
Da Knife (the sharpest muthafucka)
Restlesspoet (Resident alcoholic and Mr. Don't Give No Fuck)
Sonlight (the booty pincher)

Ya'll Know the Motto - "MURDA ON THAT AZZ"

"y'all want an awful lot for 200 dollars..." - p.r.n. 1/1/88

"fuck this shit! fuck jkilla imma do justin timberlake's whole fucking album so that we can get a server that works the first time i print some shit." - def doe money

"ENOUGH with the RHODES!! STOP IT!!!! use it a little bit... not like 'WAHHOOO listen to this DAWWWW DAWW DAWWW'" -- jef lee

"I nervously cringe, giggle, and draw back anytime a woman gets close to touching my pee pee rodriguez." -- squeeg

"that shit made me forget what i was thinking" - bonz malone

Stank Titty Quotes:

"I know that ain't your underarms musty like that, that's them hot ass titties smelling like 18 Africans at a spades game in Nigeria. Nasty behind....." - skipgotskills

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 06:57 PM

15. "dear broke azz:"
In response to Reply # 7

i don't really don't give a fuck about what you think, because critics are like trixxxs, sooner or later everyone gets a turn.

the only opinions that matter are the musicians who helped d' pull voodoo together.

nothing more.

you just happen to be a fast food listner, wanting everything pre-packaged and cooked for easy digestion.

too bad that shit gives you gas. just like your post.

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 07:07 PM

16. "dear one-hit-wonder group from 1987:"
In response to Reply # 15

>i don't really don't give a
>fuck about what you think,

then why did you read my post?

--me--
visit my website dammit

produced by yours truly

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

vuduchild

Sat Mar-31-01 05:29 PM

4. "The bottom line is this:"
In response to Reply # 0

d did what he wanted to. d went platinum. d got some cash. d had fun. does d give a damn whether he was a huge commercial success? doubt it. but i know he's suffering from that sex symbol bullshit. next time round he should come out with a gut and a bald head. and some bifocals(sp?). see what the flocking bitches think then. peace, love, and soul!!!
-b

sigs:
------------------------------
COMING ???: BILAL, 1st BORN SECOND!!!!!!!!!

"I am fascinated by the history of our music. Jazz is a whorehouse. The original booty shake." -Bilal

Mpozi
Charter member
1629 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:30 PM

5. "RE: The bottom line is this:"
In response to Reply # 4

yo, if he comes out with a gut- at the rate i'm goin- i wanna be a male vidoe ho!

gotta lay off the guinness....

PoZi (;=

vuduchild

Sat Mar-31-01 05:45 PM

9. "RE: The bottom line is this:"
In response to Reply # 5

lol!
-b

sigs:
------------------------------
COMING ???: BILAL, 1st BORN SECOND!!!!!!!!!

"I am fascinated by the history of our music. Jazz is a whorehouse. The original booty shake." -Bilal

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:44 PM

8. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 0

...i should learn to proofread...

--me--

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

Mpozi
Charter member
1629 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:51 PM

11. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 8

get inez to do it for you!
(sorry cross posting reference- check out the how to impress women post in general)

PoZi (;=

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 05:59 PM

12. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 11

hahaha.. i saw that...

and she'd only need to show up with food to impress me.

and what happened to the Broke Diaries street team?

--me--
visit my website dammit

produced by yours truly

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

Mpozi
Charter member
1629 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 06:00 PM

13. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 12

yo... i kinda screwed up on that one... my newspaper gig has had me strapped to the camera...

so email me your info again and we can make it happen...

mpozi@hotmail.com

PoZi (;=

Soulful Brotha Max Steele

Sat Mar-31-01 05:51 PM

10. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 0

Yo..I agree with your analysis of "Voodoo." I enjoyed the album, however, his image destroyed the work of the album, as well as making an album that was "too personal" and not enough songs to attract the artists. In Los Angeles (at least), too many peeps said that "you actually had to listen," or "I could not understand anything he was saying," or "His beats were boring", or/and "It sounds like one long slow song from beginning to end." I, still, fight to defends its purpose and you did a great job explaining "why Voodoo backfired."

Max Steele - www.ofthesoul.com - Update is in porgress

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 07:50 AM

49. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 10

>Yo..I agree with your analysis of
>"Voodoo." I enjoyed the
>album, however, his image destroyed
>the work of the album,
>as well as making an
>album that was "too personal"
>and not enough songs to
>attract the artists. In
>Los Angeles (at least), too
>many peeps said that "you
>actually had to listen," or
>"I could not understand anything
>he was saying," or "His
>beats were boring", or/and "It
>sounds like one long slow
>song from beginning to end."
> I, still, fight to
>defends its purpose and you
>did a great job explaining
>"why Voodoo backfired."
>
>Max Steele - www.ofthesoul.com - Update
>is in porgress

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good & how he treats people who can't fight back"-Abigail Van Buren

I'm Certified

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 06:23 PM

14. "i likeded it."
In response to Reply # 0

yeah, they worked the hell out of the mid tempo ish, but on the whole, i thought it was a tight album.

the oft-repeated 'it all sounds the same' complaint doesn't get it with me. voodoo *does* however, sound (mostly) non-radio-ish, but that's because radio is so bullshit nowadays, and plays such a narrow cross section of music. i still have to throw in "Spanish Joint", "The Root", or "Greatdayinamornin" every now and then, cause i just get a vibe from 'em that i don't get elsewhere. "Africa" is cool in that way, too. from there, the rest of the joints constitute a 'regular' album, a good, listenable album, but stuff i likely wouldn't be talking about a year after the fact.

yeah, the sex symbol thing kind of took off and began to take over the focus (general public perception, i have no way of knowing or caring what D' thinks about the phenomenon). still, that's part of the game, and, on balance, its better that he got some shine and can continue with space and support from his label to develop his craft, then for him to come out, sans gimmic k (ie, publicly accessible 'angle'), and get lost in the shuffle as a lot of talented artists do every day.

plus the ripple effect of letting quest an nem do their thing has got to have mega-positive effects on the state of black music. without artists like D', Com, and Jill blowing up the spot, heads like me will be waiting in vain to hear Roy Hargrove soloing on a Ginuwhine track, or, probing the emotional depth of a Destiny's Child CD. come on now.

peace & blessings,

x.

January is Kool Keith quote month, for lack of anything else:

"I never hearda you stupid, what's your name man??"

"Rappers don't know, I'm out the hospital/
cold buggin' and illin' like Dr. Doolittle"

"I'll chew your ass like monkeys on Wild Kingdom"

"you call yourself GOD, can you make it rain?/
can you tell me now what I'm thinkin' in my brain?"

"under your arms, you're kickin power and musty"

"word to mom, I'm in my own world.../
galaxy raaaaaays... powerful"

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 07:09 PM

17. "Thoughts"
In response to Reply # 0

I think Voodoo had plenty of substance. Yes, the later soulquarian stuff built off of it (like water for chocolate and mama's gun both seemed to use voodoo as blueprints), but it's a damn good album. I listen to it today and it still sounds great. I really don't know what you mean. Did you think the music was to simple? Hell no it isn't. Lyrics? Nope. What? If you can name ten, no, five R&B albums made in the last five years that are better sonically and technically than Voodoo, then let me know cause it's shit I for one need to hear.

I do, though, agree that Send it on wasn't the best choice to follow up Untitled with. However, I DO think that Feel Like Makin' Love would've worked quite well, especially if it had hit around late spring. Maybe even a remix duet with Jill Scott, Angie Stone (they still talk), or even kidnap lauryn for it. The video could have been one of them walking through the city streets sangin' type jawns.

I tell you, cats ALL OVER would've been singin that shit. I mean spring fever like whoa. Even niggas that hated on Untitled cause D was butt ass naked on TV would be on the subways singin' "That's the time, I feel like making lu-uh-uv, to you--oooh-oooh!"

1Love,
BigPerm

"You funny do, cuz really you think you can do me when you roll a 500 that's really a 320."

In the Deck:

Jay Dee - Welcome 2 Detroit
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe
Rufus Wainwright - (self titled)
Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain
Nick Drake - Bryter Later
Craig David - (a WACK album, never mind the title)
Stetasonic - In Full Gear
Biz Markie - The Biz Never Sleeps
Ghostface Killah - IRONMAN

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 07:32 PM

19. "RE: Thoughts"
In response to Reply # 17

>I think Voodoo had plenty of
>substance. Yes, the later soulquarian
>stuff built off of it
>(like water for chocolate and
>mama's gun both seemed to
>use voodoo as blueprints), but
>it's a damn good album.
>I listen to it today
>and it still sounds great.
>I really don't know what
>you mean. Did you think
>the music was to simple?

not necessarily simple.. but often way too sparse.

>Hell no it isn't. Lyrics?
>Nope. What?

>If you can
>name ten, no, five R&B
>albums made in the last
>five years that are better
>sonically and technically than Voodoo,
>then let me know cause
>it's shit I for one
>need to hear.

lol! did you read my entire post? i gave Voodoo it's due and spent most of my time pointing out what i felt were errors in the way the album was marketed and promoted... of course, i did mention some gripes i had with the album as well, but i never said that it wasn't a good album.

>However, I DO think
>that Feel Like Makin' Love
>would've worked quite well, especially
>if it had hit around
>late spring.

the only problem I have with the idea of FLML being a single is that D grew a lot as a writer during this period. why not showcase that growth?

--me--

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

Monique
Charter member
2511 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 09:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 0

More people praise D'ANGELO for the "VODOO" album than his body when writing him.
Every song on the "VODOO" album has been addressed by someone and how it was enjoyed,not referencing to D'ANGELO body.
Marvin gaye would be fully dressed,but much attention was focused on the body.
So now if you be a man you sure was watching D'ANGELO body to be able to tell us so much.
Most men would have walked away and maybe just listen to the song to see if they like it.
MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!Musta liked that sweat!!!
Now get those sweaty flashbacks out ya mind,relax,and appreciate the whole "VODO" album for sure there is much you can do with it.
Listening Pleasure,Gospel Pleasure,Latin Pleasure,Sensual Pleasure,Romantic Pleasure,Dance Pleasure,Learn How to To Hold on to Your Pride(cause you heard they been talking about you)and the "Bullet In The Chamber" is a song for your in your weapon of choice instruments,lyrics,performance,Go Down To The Wire with D'ANGELO and you ggonn see,He's for real,and if you need a little something to get you thru the day replay the album for your "Spanish Joint,if someone will have you you just mifgt "Feel Like Makin Love",Doin it baby "Left and Right,Up and Down,or "do you know what Iama talkin about,Maybe not cause you can' "send It On",so go on down to "Tha Chicken Grease,Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet",Reflex on "Africa" as you drive in a land "Meant For Men Not Your Tone".
"How Does It FEEL",Like "Shit Damn Motha Fuka" A:
"GREATDAYNDMORNIN".
D'ANGELO" is like CrackCocaine Once You Hit Him You keep Coming Back For More And He Does Deliver With Some GODDDDDD SHITTTT!!!!!.
Now stop Drooling Over D'ANGELO SWEAT AND "Bend Your Arm,Use Your Palm" and know what "Left And Right" All About,THENN Some.
Cause D'AGELO worked it a different way on stage VH1 Men Strike Back,Yes He Did and was not without clothing.
Now! GET UPPPPP!!!!! AND PUT ON THAT "VODOO" ALBUM.

NELLY: I'm Humble In Life Taking Nothing For Granted

AFRICA: www.bbcnews.com

THE BROKER: John Grisham

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:39 AM

43. "that was uncalled for"
In response to Reply # 20

no offence intended but did you adopt the groupie/fanatic tone intentionally?
i don't mean this in a bad way but when people start to diss the messenger and not the message I really start to get skeptic of their intellect.
re-read what you wrote and you might see what I mean.
SIGNATURE STARTS YONDER
NE LOVE/ LOVE
(THE HICE IS URS)
The emoticon as 'O' symbol is a registered trademark of dafriquan.
No biting without written permission.

RIP JDILLA
THE ILLEST THAT EVER DID IT

Monique
Charter member
2511 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 09:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
67. "RE: that was uncalled for"
In response to Reply # 43

No changes.
Groupie Fanatic yes I am,can you get a message to D'ANGELO that I truly beleive in his work and only want the Best for him,may he keep it coming and someday it all will be "Alright",just as he want it to be and I do beleive he knows when something need work and is always searching for improvement.
I have been in a good way a Fanatic since 1996.
Certainly D'ANGELO does not need me to come to his defense,but that is how his Music all of it touch me.
There is more to D'ANGELO than what comes out in his Music and it is Inspirational for certain the "VODOO" album has been many things for me.
When D'ANGELO made "Shit Damn Mother Fuka" that in itself was the message he would bring the unexpected.He did in "Left And Right".
Any feelings I have about an Artist and their work that I may find a problem for me I write it personally ,if they read it fine,if not I do not give up!I also use other resources.
Because D'ANGELO presented a different format changed many minds who were looking for a Brown Suga.
i repeatedly heard it,"IT IS NOT LIKE BROWN SUGA",I said why should it be if you are a true fan.Later on someone came back and said "THE BROTHER IS ALLRIGHT",purchased the Album,I have been surrounded by people listening to me spout off about D'ANGELO music.
No one come to my house without a lesson on D'ANGELO music.
"Send It ON",Left And Right",I made converts to the songs from one music format to D'ANGELO.
Seeking no more converts,just here to let you know "How does it feel".I do not even seek D'ANGELO approval,just bring on the music.
I did not know about,or see "the Left and Right" video.
November 1999 all I knew was that D'ANGELO was releasing an album.Paid for my copy for I knew I would like it.
For me D'ANGELO delivered 100% showcasing the extension of his talent.
The numbers may not stack up as did Brown Suga,but that is how it goes.
I do beleive D'ANGELO will get his true propers someday inclusive of "VODOO".
The album was not solely purchased because of D'ANGELO video,and I do not want to be catagorized in that manner.
I knew D'ANGELO would deliver Music from his soul even with collaboration.
As for my intellect,does not matter that you may question it for I shall move on.
One person looking for a "BROWN SUGA" type album came in tha house Dancing but of course to "Left And Right",and she couldn't do nothing but put her packages down and enjoy the song.
Call me whatever you like,just do not leave out SHE ENJOY D"ANGELO MUSIC!!!!!!.

NELLY: I'm Humble In Life Taking Nothing For Granted

AFRICA: www.bbcnews.com

THE BROKER: John Grisham

k_ysla

Sat Mar-31-01 11:14 PM

21. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 0

We, as fans, think of the music industry in a different manner. Music sounds good, artist win music awards, artist is loved by the masses. The message has been lost along the way.

One aspect I admired about Prince was his commitment to himself. He stayed true to himself and produced music according to his taste and placed it out on the market not caring if he won an award, only hoping that we got it. We understood where he was coming from. Of course, that's all changed. But I see that spirit in D and I respect him for that.

You know, whether the album's promotion was the record label's doing or a decision made by D, I can't help but think this is exactly what he wanted. More promoting means less time with family...and I'm sure that was not up D's alley.

Voodoo backfired...I think not. I believe it did exactly what he wanted it to do. Wet our appetites for what's coming next.

*Bask in your blackness. You r Beauty. You r strong* Kysla

"Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance." -Carl Sandburg

http://members.blackplanet.com/kysla

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 12:15 AM

22. "I can almost get w/this"
In response to Reply # 0

And I need to say, I loved the record much more than Brain C. Hild. I can tell. I fell out for the minimalism of it. And b/c I LISTENED intently, repeatedly, intoxicated(ly) I hear all the work that went into it. The record is so heavy to me. Every track, but especially "The Root", "Spanish Joint", "Devil's Pie", and "Untitled". Anyway, I digress. Onto his little thang here.

>I just feel that such an
>ambitious project was unnecessarily, and
>possibly unknowingly, self-destructed.

Yes, it was. Here's the part where I can get w/what he's talking about:
>
>In late 1999, the first single
>from D'angelo's long-awaited sophmore album,
>"Voodoo", was released to very
>little to no fanfare.

A fucking travesty!!! I thought "Untitled" was the FIRST single & video.

>"Left & Right", which featured
>a guest appearance by America's
>Most Blunted (a.k.a Redman &
>Method Man) was a simple
>funk number based around very
>minimal instrumentation. The accompanying video,
>which may have been aired
>about as many times as
>the last few Prince videos,
>was an odd, psychedelic, sweat
>drenched funk fest, featuring cameo
>appearances by George Clinton, Redman,
>Method Man, ?uestlove, and Cherokee.

Killer. I mean, damn.

> The video's production values
>weren't too far removed from
>those commonly seen in early
>80s pop videos. While
>I understand and can appreciate
>the idea, it's not a
>very smart way to begin
>promotion for an album that
>many people have patiently waited
>for. The video quickly
>faded from television and failed
>to make a dent in
>radio.
>
>A few quick months later, January
>2000 arrives. Y2K fever
>has passed and the number
>of days until the release
>of the album that many
>said would revolutionieze R&B music
>are dwindling. To make
>up for the near disaster
>that "Left & Right" turned
>out to be, the follow-up
>single was wisely chosen.
>"Untitled (How Does It Feel)"
>is a slow, 6/8, sexy
>song reminiscent of Prince during
>his hey day. The
>song and its simplicity are
>brilliant. Raphael Saadiq, co-producer
>of th etrack, laid down
>a guitar line that I'm
>sure made the soon-to-be-resurrected Prince
>Rogers Nelson roll over in
>his paisley coffin.
>The music combined with those
>panty-wetting lyrics assured this writer
>that the revolution (no pun
>intended) was well under way.
>
>
>And then the video arrived.
>
>I'll spare us all the details
>of the video for fear
>that many of my female
>readers will suffer flashbacks and
>become unable to finish reading.

Lord, have mercy on my soul!

>It really is unknown what the
>exact intent of the video
>was, perhaps its intentions were
>many:
>
>A. To stimulate the women
>in a way normally reserved
>for men.
>B. To increase the number
>of Ab-Rollers and health club
>memberships sold.
>or
>3. To present D'angelo to
>the public with no bells
>and whistles.. just the man
>and his music.
>
>I'm sure if you asked D'angelo,
>Dominique Trenier, or Paul Hunter
>what their intentions were, they
>will point you towards number
>3, being that it is
>the most "artistically respectable" of
>the 3 possibilities. They
>may have actually planned it
>that way, but in between
>the writing of the video
>treatment (which I'm sure was
>about 5 words long: D'angelo,
>naked, plain background, ch-ching!) and
>the airing of the video,
>I'm sure the concept was
>lost. D'angelo's (ahem) enthusiasm
>towards the end of the
>video prompted many a viewer
>to wonder whether or not
>D'angelo was alone on the
>set. The many close-ups
>of D'angelo's body dripping with
>perspiration just turned him into
>a sex object for women,
>thus taking their attention away
>from the brilliant song and
>focusing on their moistening nether
>regions.
>
>I'm not making judgment on D'angelo's
>artistic integrity or whether nor
>am I saying that D'angelo
>was wrong in exploring (or
>should it be "exploiting") his
>sexuality. In its pure
>form, it is a great
>idea, but seeing as how
>man perverts (once again, no
>pun intended) everything, it should've
>been obvious to all involve
>that trying to maintain artistic
>integrity while being butt booty
>naked on television is virtually
>impossible. I hope D'angelo
>was fully aware of the
>risk he was taking.
>If not, he must have
>received one hell of a
>wake up call when the
>tour began.
>
>Episodes 1 and 2 of the
>Voodoo tour can be summed
>up in 23 words.
>
>1. Screaming
>2. Women
>3. Ripped
>4. Wife-beater
>5. "Take
>6. It
>7. Off"
>8. Hardcore
>9. Funk
>10. Music
>11. Good
>12. Times

I almost cried at this show. I had awful seats, and I heard "I wanna know how it FEEEEELS, nigga!" & "Take it off!!!!" more than I cared to. I was on the verge of tears b/c I was sad for the women who were missing out on what D & the Soultronix were laying down. They had me there, even from the balcony (in the back, y'all). I couldn't believe they couldn't feel what I did.

>I was fortunate enough to witness
>the tour first hand when
>it stopped in Indianapolis in
>August. I was also
>unfortunate enough to witness the
>hordes of beautiful women (gat-damn!!!)
>screaming at D'angelo as if
>they were at a male
>strip joint. They totally
>ignored the on stage brilliance
>of D'angelo and the Soultronics
>and focused on the biceps,
>the abs, and the ass.

That's what I just said.

> I often found myself
>rolling my eyes at the
>way D'angelo toyed with the
>women in the crowd (who
>really weren't women at this
>point.. many of the more
>mature women were acting as
>if they were 10 years
>old at a New Edition
>concert back in 1984).
>I wished that there had
>been more of a balance
>between D'angelo's libidinous energy and
>his musical passion.

He's an Entertainer...as well as a musician. You gotta give 'em what they want and slap 'em w/what they need.

>Okay.. to sum up all the
>sex stuff, it overshadowed the
>music and brought people
>(women.. and a few guys)
>away from what *I* thought
>the whole Voodoo project was
>about: bringing songwriting and
>good musicianship back to the
>forefront.

Honey, I was 1 of those guys. U shoulda seen me getting all up close to my TV everytime that video was on. I thought maybe I could see more than I had previously. Like, ooops! I was a damn fool, but I still was geeked off the song itself.

>>Midway through the tour, Virgin Records
>released the third single from
>the album. "Send It
>On." Oh no.
>Another slow song. Obviously
>milking the sex god image
>that was surrounding D'angelo at
>the time, Virgin thought this
>would be a good idea.

I was so upset about this. Here in Chicago, they were already playing "Feel Like Makin' Love" on the radio. I thought it was a great choice...especially going into spring. But then we got "Send It On", one of the musically least interesting tracks on the record - but the lyrics are a mutha! I knew it would go over folk heads.

> It was also thought
>by many that releasing a
>live performance video would be
>a good idea. It
>would serve double purpose:
>promote the tour and show
>people that D'angelo is still
>all about music.

Exactly. And I love performance videos.

The
>only problem with this reasoning,
>I feel, is that the
>"Send It On" clip did
>not accurately represent what was
>going on during the Voodoo
>tour. Yes, clips of
>other portions of the show
>were interspersed throughout the clip,
>but it was quite distracting
>to see D'angelo and his
>backup dancers doing some high
>energy step while the band
>crawled through "Send It On."

I know, right? It was kinda awkward. But they were having a good time up there, that was clear.

>Upon further thought, the live video
>concept would not really work
>with *any* of the songs
>from Voodoo as they were
>performed live on tour.
>"Feel Like Making Love" would've
>lost some points for being
>a cover tune (although I
>can count on one hand
>the number of people I
>know that knew that it
>was a cover).

That song needed to be heard.

"Devil's
>Pie" would not have worked
>because the first minute or
>so of the song is
>done in complete darkness with
>very little movement on stage.
> So, in my
>opinion, the concept should've been
>scrapped.
>
>While looking at the rest of
>the songs that "Voodoo" has
>to offer, the only other
>obvious single was "Devil's Pie"
>which had already been featured
>in the film "Belly."
>None of the other songs
>on the album were really
>suited for release as a
>single.

Well, after (or before) "Feel Like Makin' Love".

Many of the
>songs suffered from being repetitive
>midtempo songs that often ended
>in similar fashion to the
>way they started... all groove,
>very little substance (once again,
>i'd like to refer you
>to my opening statement).

Here's where we diverge. I hear so much going on in all the songs. And Roy Hargrove tore it the fuck up on the horns & horn arrangements. I mean, good God - there was so much melody going on, and his vocals were incredible. When you remember he sang every note of those multi-tracked harmonies, it's clear why the album took so much time. Why it must have been a labrous process. So much overdub. I think it's brilliant.

>
>Voodoo's lack of substance also hurt
>it. Whereas a lack
>of substance is the norm,
>most people don't spend 4-5
>years working on something that
>sounds like it could've been
>put together in the span
>of a few months.

See my last comment. I mean, how can you deny those vocals???

>As a whole, it is
>quite underwhelming.

Still has my jaw stuck to the floor.

There are
>several good ideas and concepts
>throughout the album (I wish
>the "Booty" segment of "Greatdayndamornin"
>had been developed a lot
>more).

I could have used more of "Left & Right", actually. Extended version of "Spanish Joint"? Pleeeease??

If the album
>had been released one year
>after "Brown Sugar", I would
>not be writing this paragraph.
> Just another case of
>"too little too late."

The impact would have been huge coming out of Brown Sugar, but the public still wouldn't have embraced it like the 1st record. "Lady" was a great pop tune, Voodoo doesn't really have any pop. Except "Send It On".

>Okay... I"m beginning to ramble here,
>and unlike D'angelo when recording
>"The Root" and "Feel Like
>Making Love", i'm going to
>stop before this gets any
>more tedious.

Stop knocking my song!!! I'm living for that one. It's all about repetition. Hasn't he heard any Afro-beat? Any house? Any James Brown? (20 minutes of "Hot Pants" comes to mind, or how about 20 minutes of "Make It Funky"?). Hell....any GOSPEL, blues, even jazz. WTF?

Currently playing:

The Love Bite, "Take Your Time"

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 03:51 AM

23. "RE: I can almost get w/this"
In response to Reply # 22

>Stop knocking my song!!! I'm
>living for that one.
>It's all about repetition.
>Hasn't he heard any Afro-beat?
> Any house? Any
>James Brown? (20 minutes
>of "Hot Pants" comes to
>mind, or how about 20
>minutes of "Make It Funky"?).
> Hell....any GOSPEL, blues, even
>jazz. WTF?

i was waiting for this

Yes... i've heard afro-beat, house, j.b.

listen to fela and you'll hear so much more rhythmically intensive goings on that it doesn't matter that everything's being repeated for 15-20 minutes.. same goes for james. with "The Root", it's just "boom... b-chak.. b-boom.. b-chak..." and that irresistible guitar line. it's very straightforward. listen to "expensive shit" and you'll hear Tony Allen tappin the hell out of that snare, keys being hit with different intensities... the dynamics in the song are enough to keep it interesting.

and yes... i agree with you that the vocals are great, "The Root" is possibly one of the best examples of this. there's about 500 d'angelo's mumbling at me all at the same time (jokes!!!)

--me--
"ENOUGH with the RHODES!! STOP IT!!!! use it a little bit... not like 'WAHHOOO listen to this DAWWWW DAWW DAWWW'" -- jef lee

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

AZNThought_Pt_III
Charter member
369 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 08:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
25. "I agree with BrainChild"
In response to Reply # 0

somewhat... You're right in saying that as a whole some of the songs on the album just get a lil tedious after awhile. As a rule of thumb, I usually listen to the latter half of the album when I pop it in my stereo, songs like Africa, Spanish Joint, etc etc.
For some inexplicable reason (as in I personally can't explain it), I listen to Brown Sugar and Live @ the Jazz Cafe a lot more than Voodoo. However, Voodoo by itself is still an extraordinary accomplishment, and makes 99% of the other so-called soul artists out there pale in comparison.
Perhaps Brown Sugar was just such a good introduction that it simply can't be surpassed...
As for the way it was promoted, I really can't comment on it because I simply don't know what the norm is for music promotion. However, I do agree that many female fans I know wouldn't have been fans if they hadn't seen the Untitled video and therefore I also agree that some of the appreciation for his incredible music has been lost in materiality. This can be quite upsetting for the all the music purists out there.
HOWEVER, on the other hand, it has gotten D a lot of exposure and spread his music much further amongst the masses than otherwise might've been if he hadn't chosen the "untitled route". Let's face it... in itself, D'angelo's music isn't exactly your mainstream cup of tea.
Enough rambling for now, props to a brave man for sticking his neck out like that and saying what he truly thinks...

'Arigato, to all my people in Japan,
Whetha ya rockin Cardier or Pierre
Cardan,
I'm bargin through like "excuse I beg
ya pardon"
I crush carbon copy emcees with
clone jargon'
Black Thought - Act Fore... (hidden
track)

"I just wanna tape you...
all night"

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 08:55 AM

27. "I dont think I wrote a paper that good in 5 1/2 years of college"
In response to Reply # 0

u get an A for makin a good point, now I gotta decide if I agree. I must admit that I am biased b/c I really like the cd. I also must say that I admire u b/c u admitted to likeing the cd and then proceeded to tear D apart.

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 09:37 AM

28. "Untitled - gay man's fantasy"
In response to Reply # 0

so maybe it was more than a few brothas that couldn't think about the music either.

Then with the Red & Meth w/ D'Angelo video...well....it was all too much

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 10:46 AM

29. "I, AT TIMES, AGREE WITH YOU BRAIN..."
In response to Reply # 0

-I GOT MAD THAT THEY ONLY ONE DJ ON THE RADIO PLAYED UNTITLED (AND ONLY FOR A MONTH AND A HALF WITH CONSTANT REFERENCES TO "THE VIDEO."
-I GOT MAD THAT SEND IT ON WAS THE FOLLOW UP SINGLES CUZ I KNEW CATS WERENT READY. I GOT MAD THAT MY PEERS DIDNT ACCEPT L&R (CMON, IT GOTS RED N METH? HE TALKS ABOUT FUCKIN! HE KNOWS HOW TO PLAY!...HE SINGS ABOUT WEED! HE SOUNDS LIKE PRINCE! HES NOT JUST THE NAKED GUY ON THE VIDEO, CMON! LISTEN TO HIM!).
-I GOT REALLY MAD THAT THE CHICKEN GREASE REMIX DIDNT COME OUT. THERE COULDVE BEEN YOUR NEXT SURESHOT SINGLE. A DRE REMIX, MAYBE HAVE COMMON (SINCE THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ON LWFC ANYWAYS) OR OUTKAST RHYME ON IT, COME OUT WITH A PARTY VIDEO WITH THE QUARIAN TOUCH.
-I GOT MAD WHEN MUSIQ CAME OUT AND EVERY OTHER GUY AND GIRL JUST FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS FOOLS FRIENDS SONG LIKE HES THE NEXT THING. PLAYING THAT SHIT AT THE END OF THE CLUB AND SHIT. THEY DIDNT EVEN PLAY UNTITLED AT THE END, MAN.
-I GOT MAD THAT ALL THE MTV CROWD WAS LIKE "WHY DID Ds VIDEO GET NOMINATED SO MUCH? ITS SUCH A PLAIN VIDEO."
-I GOT REALLY REALLY REALLY MAD THAT THEY DONT SELL VOODOO ON VINYL AT AMOEBA RECORDS WHEN I KEPT TELLING MYSELF, "OH, NOONE AINT FEELING HIM. THEY (REFERRING TO LIKE 4 COPIES) AINT GOIN NO WHERE).
-I GOT MAD D WASNT ON THE GRAMMYS
-ANYWAYS...ALL I CAN DO NOW, IS JUST WAIT. I TOO WISH D WAS MORE IN TUNE WITH HIS FANS THAN HOW HE CURRENTLY IS. ITS JUST THAT Ds JUST IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME (REFERING TO HIS MUSIC AND THE TIMES WE ARE IN). BROTHAS PROBABLY GOING TO KEEP ON SELLING THAT 1 MIL WITH EVERY ALBUM HE DROPS. AS LONG AS BROTHAS HAPPY AND KEEPS MAKIN FLY ASS MUSIC. IT IS JUST HIS 2ND. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM WRITE FOR OTHERS LIKE CURTIS, JAMES, PRINCE.
"I FELT PRESSURED TO HAVE A SIGNATURE."

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 04:15 PM

30. "Brainchild"
In response to Reply # 0

You like officially spoke all of my feelings on this lp.

Both great albums, but I like brown sugar much better

and they need a voodoo tour dvd to display the art for those who love the art, I have the brixton bootleg and the long extended devils pie breakdown alone would be worth the price.

Virgin or somebody needs to capitalize, up in smoke came out on dvd, im sure this would do well. I still need audio of the mtv awards version of devils pie, still the greatest thing I believe Ive ever seen on mtv

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 04:26 PM

31. "aww, BrainChild's all growns up"
In response to Reply # 0

BrainMan? ('oochie coochie la la la' vs. a perpetually pushedback album...bah!)

only a few comnents on my part --

>ambitious project was unnecessarily, and
>possibly unknowingly, self-destructed.

disagree for the most part, i see where you're coming from.

>about as many times as
>the last few Prince videos

probably...i never saw it.

>for. The video quickly
>to make a dent in
>radio.

and then,

i don't think that "L & R" was much of a disaster in that its impact, as you surmised, was pretty minimal as a first single. i suppose it could be considered a disaster in the sense that the single had a minimal impact, though...

c'mon, let's keep it real...you intended that pun.

while i definitely know what you're talking about, i have to say that i've seen some non-D'Angelo live performances where groupie-like women were reacting more to the 'celebrity' of the person performing more than the actual performance...i mean, even jockey sluts pay more attention to dj's because they have some kind of control over a party, not because they think their skratch techniques/mixing skills are on point...

>Oh no.

(c) Mr. Bill

>opinion, the concept should've been
>scrapped.

good point re: 'devil's pie' as a live performance video...

>While looking at the rest of
>the songs that "Voodoo" has
>to offer, the only other
>obvious single was "Devil's Pie"

i have to say that i think 'devil's pie' would've been an excellent choice for a single/video...even w/ a remix verse from an emcee that could truly get down with the concept of the song...

in conclusion, though, i think the fact that we're discussing Voodoo a year later is significant in itself.

|peace.|cruciverbalist|muddy.angel.syntactics|
please preorder my book 'most people are judgmental, hypocritical, insipid whores' @ amazon.com

Tam
Charter member
98 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 05:57 AM

41. "IMHO releasing "Send It On" as..."
In response to Reply # 31

the 3rd single was the BIGGEST mistake in the marketing of Voodoo. I understand it's significance to D'Angelo but it took a minute for me to start feeling that song.
>>While looking at the rest of
>>the songs that "Voodoo" has
>>to offer, the only other
>>obvious single was "Devil's Pie"
>
>i have to say that i
>think 'devil's pie' would've been
>an excellent choice for a
>single/video...even w/ a remix verse
>from an emcee that could
>truly get down with the
>concept of the song...

ITA w/ both of those comments. Devil's Pie should have been released/re-released or whatever. It was definitely imo the most obvious next "single" from the CD. A re-mix of Devil's Pie would have been tiaght! I also think One Mo Gin would have been a marketable single as well. I think folkx would have gotten into the music and the lyrics on dat one. How many people have someone they wouldn't mind seeing "One Mo 'Gin".

I STILL think the CD was/is all dat and I hope the live LP will help extend it's reach to the masses. I was mixing that with E Badu's new disc last weekend and bumping the he!! outa both of dem! Those CDs have staying power. No disrespect to JScott, but I haven't picked up her CD in a minute.

Mil
Charter member
33922 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 05:28 PM

32. "Hey man... I've got this one website... y-y...you wanna write for it? n/..."
In response to Reply # 0

Pullin yo card and yellin "Gin, muthafucka!!!",

mil.

"Now its... 'I-I-I... I'm sorry', my ASS!"-Mystikal.

Contagious
Charter member
4130 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 05:33 PM

33. "I'm sayin tho 4real son whats the deal nah mean?"
In response to Reply # 32

THAT'S MY MAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

-Contagious

honey you blew it, if my website, ain't on your favorites.

http://www.thejawn.com hiatus dec 4th 2000 - dec 8th 2000

"i can tell their looking at us" -d'angelo

----------------------------------
what is the purpose of existence without persistence?

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 06:01 PM

34. "ummmmm..."
In response to Reply # 33

i'll write an article about Vanilla Ice's "To The Extreme"

--me--
visit my website dammit

produced by yours truly

BADD AZZ MUTHAFUCKAZ
Brainchild (the brains behind the operation)
Da Knife (the sharpest muthafucka)
Restlesspoet (Resident alcoholic and Mr. Don't Give No Fuck)
Sonlight (the booty pincher)

Ya'll Know the Motto - "MURDA ON THAT AZZ"

"I nervously cringe, giggle, and draw back anytime a woman gets close to touching my pee pee rodriguez." -- squeeg

"that shit made me forget what i was thinking" - bonz malone

Stank Titty Quotes:

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 01:19 AM

37. "I almost fully agree"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree w/ everything u said bnout the sex image drowning the music and the horrible promotion and questionable video choices.

One thing I will always take exception with is this time theory bullshit. The bullshit time theory goes, "If D would've taken 1 year to produce voodoo vs. the 5 years it actually took, it would be a better album or i would like it more".

that's total illogical bullshit. the album is waht it is. if it came out 1 year after brown sugar u have no idea what the reponse would've been. u think cats weren't ready for it now? 1 year later, brown sugar would've been so fresh in folks mind, they would really killed d saying he was trying to be too artsy and shit and they really would've called him a prince biter since prince's demise wouldn't have been so prolonged at that point.

in many ways miseducation coming out first gave people the chance to reexamine what rnb should sound like, voodoo took them much farther and most couldn't understand it or take it, hence the one million comments that it all sounds the same as they listen to sisqo and joe (and of course sisqo and joe sounds don't sound alike at all).

i don't mind that you found some of the songs too sparse, that's what i loved about the album. but spare me this time argument.

"it is now the mission of myself and a million others to not just stop at downloading music. we will continue to download en masse, but we will physically steal cds if we have to. anything to make sure the record companies go out of business. burn and sell, give away free stuff in front of record stores. anything. they've pissed millions of americans off by spitting in their face. not only will i stop contributing any money i will make sure i steal it in different ways. down with corrupt businessmen." - some genius who goes by the name of mission

"Give it up Biggie is dead, Eminem is what you have" - Paraphrasing Sarah Jones in Surface Transit

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 09:04 AM

51. "basically n/m"
In response to Reply # 37

Much love,
Kyle

We all know angie's about to be a rock star by way of book, right?
Just helping her on her way.

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me urbancowgirlll@yahoo.com

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Vena
Charter member
399 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 02:18 AM

38. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 0

you said it all. A few people have been trying to make this exact point, however their word usage has gotten them into trouble. You made some very valid points. It made me look at the albumn from anther perspective. Glad you still enjoyed the albumn. I think something went wrong with marketing.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I wAnTs tO gEt FuNkEd Up!!

~Bizounce~
~Peaches and Cream~
~Crunked Up~

I m A g I n I n A T i O n N O T i M i T a T i O n!

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 05:56 AM

40. "the funk might fracture you're nose (c) nate"
In response to Reply # 0

Do Not Fuck with Izzus! - some_of_my_best_friends_are_black

I Thought I Told U Not to Fuck with Izzus! some_of_my_best_friends_are_black

keepers of the funk:
http://www.geocities.com/firefire100

albums of the week:
jon b- pleasures u like
shuggie otis - inspiration information
sleepy's theme - the vinyl roomj (revisited)
stevie - songs in the key of life (revisited)
kast -stankonia

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Toya

Mon Apr-02-01 06:16 AM

42. "VOODOO WILL BE LEGENDARY!"
In response to Reply # 0

>In late 1999, the first single
>from D'angelo's long-awaited sophmore album,
>"Voodoo", was released to very
>little to no fanfare.
>a guest appearance by America's
>Most Blunted (a.k.a Redman &
>Method Man) was a simple
>funk number based around very
>about as many times as
>the last few Prince videos,
>was an odd, psychedelic, sweat
>drenched funk fest, featuring cameo
>appearances by George Clinton, Redman,
>Method Man, ?uestlove, and Cherokee.
> The video's production values
>weren't too far removed from
>those commonly seen in early
>80s pop videos. While
>I understand and can appreciate
>the idea, it's not a
>very smart way to begin
>promotion for an album that
>many people have patiently waited
>for. The video quickly
>to make a dent in
>radio.
Folk just wasn't ready! I bought this video, and it is still one of the most requested vids to be played at partys-but then the age group (30 & up) has a lot to do with it too!

>A few quick months later, January
>2000 arrives. Y2K fever
>has passed and the number
>of days until the release
>of the album that many
>said would revolutionieze R&B music
>are dwindling. To make
>is a slow, 6/8, sexy
>song reminiscent of Prince during
>his hey day. The
>song and its simplicity are
>brilliant. Raphael Saadiq, co-producer
>of th etrack, laid down
>a guitar line that I'm
>sure made the soon-to-be-resurrected Prince
>Rogers Nelson roll over in
>his paisley coffin.
>The music combined with those
>panty-wetting lyrics assured this writer
>
I keep tellin yall-Prince wish he DID have it like that! This vid was a good way for D to show off some newly acquired abs-but the lyrics in the song, & the way he sang it is what did it for me!

>And then the video arrived.
>
>I'll spare us all the details
>of the video for fear
>that many of my female
>readers will suffer flashbacks and
>become unable to finish reading.
>
Give us women credit for being able to look beyond the body in the video. I think a lot of you menfolk's egos have really suffered from that video.

>I was fortunate enough to witness
>the tour first hand when
>it stopped in Indianapolis in
>August. I was also
>unfortunate enough to witness the
>hordes of beautiful women (gat-damn!!!)
>screaming at D'angelo as if
>they were at a male
>of D'angelo and the Soultronics
>and focused on the biceps,
>the abs, and the ass.
> I often found myself
>rolling my eyes at the
>way D'angelo toyed with the
>women in the crowd (who
>really weren't women at this
>point.. many of the more
>mature women were acting as
>if they were 10 years
>old at a New Edition
>concert back in 1984).
Okay-we know there were some there not really focusing on the man & his music-but I also witnessed both episodes, and each time I went it was like a musical rebirth. Yes the affect of this man & his music had me moving parts of my body that I didn't know I still had. D & the soultronics-pure artistry!
"Devil's
>Pie" would not have worked
>because the first minute or
>so of the song is
>done in complete darkness with
>very little movement on stage.

You must didn't see D & Soultronics do this at the MTV movie awards last year! Check your local listings 'cause MTV repeats it often-and you're in for a treat!!!

>Voodoo's lack of substance also hurt
>it. Whereas a lack
>of substance is the norm,
>most people don't spend 4-5
>years working on something that
>sounds like it could've been
>put together in the span
>of a few months.
>As a whole, it is
>quite underwhelming. There are
>several good ideas and concepts
>throughout the album (I wish
>the "Booty" segment of "Greatdayndamornin"
>had been developed a lot
>more). If the album
>had been released one year
>after "Brown Sugar", I would
>not be writing this paragraph.
> Just another case of
>"too little too late."

Looka here-the album won 2 grammys, he was awarded best live perfomance of the year by Rolling Stone, and (not that this sways me one way or the other) that says a helluva lot! Voodoo will be legendary. It is not your average R&B album-not by a long shot!

I don't want him 'cause of what he doin to you-and you dont need em-'cause he 'aint ready!-Ms. Badu

If I needed you to be cooool with my strength, could you do it?-Jill Scott

Princeguy

Wed Apr-04-01 03:43 AM

55. "RE: VOODOO WILL BE LEGENDARY!"
In response to Reply # 42

Wow Brainchild! Your commentary was excellent! I totally agree with your complete commentary. It's odd, everytime I tried to write similar thoughts, my posts seems to get deleted!?!? Finally there's someone who has the balls to tell the truth and not act like some groupie who thinks that D'Angelo will be mad at them for giving their opinion of Voodoo. Voodoo will never be anywhere near legendary, because the album was simply not that good. By the way, you gotta get Mama's Gun someway, somehow, because that album WILL be legendary. Thanks for a REAL commentary of Voodoo. Maybe other folks will be inspired to tell the truth and not act like some groupie who's afraid to speak their minds. Voodoo was okay, butt it definitely fell flat. So what it went platinum? It went platinum because of the high anticipation after Brown Sugar, not because the music was good. We'll see on the next album. D'Angelo had better come with the real, or risk becoming known simply as another entertainer in the game to sell their ass for the paper.

Toya

Wed Apr-04-01 05:56 AM

56. "AND YOU SAID ALL THAT.........."
In response to Reply # 55

And still 'aint said shit! Sorry you don't feel the same way I do about Voodoo, I'm sure there are folks who agree with you, but I know that there are alot of folk that WILL have Voodoo in their legendary collections-right up there with Sly, Jimi, and George.
And sweetpea-everybody that likes D'angelo isn't on groupie status-or didn't your momma teach ya better than that!!??!!

I don't want him 'cause of what he doin to you-and you dont need em-'cause he 'aint ready!-Ms. Badu

If I needed you to be cooool with my strength, could you do it?-Jill Scott

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:57 AM

46. "but Jill went plat too!"
In response to Reply # 0

some of the stuff you said was true.
i love the album and as a producer it has changed the way i view music. basically i have the courage to make sparse shit.
my main problem with voodoo?
-not enough sales.(That album could've sold 5X platinum. Jill Scott went platinum and she did not have the buzz nor the sex symbol.)
-not enough melody(I've heard quest refute this but I'll say it again. some songs were saved by the multi-layered vocals.)
-not enough of the good stuff(spanish joint could've been made much funkier and longer)
-not enough variation(like Brainchild said earlier afrobeat is mad repetitive but there is mad dynamics in it. every bar sounds so different and there is interplay within the rhythm. Tony allen does not keep it completely steady either...listen real close.

but lets not take away from a groundbreaking album though. I don't agree that mama's gun was formed from the Voodoo blueprint. mama's gone is not sparse at all...which leads me to a new post in the lesson.
SIGNATURE STARTS YONDER
NE LOVE/ LOVE
(THE HICE IS URS)
The emoticon as 'O' symbol is a registered trademark of dafriquan.
No biting without written permission.

RIP JDILLA
THE ILLEST THAT EVER DID IT

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 07:23 AM

47. "here's a concept"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it's safe to say the majority of us here are PROBABLY "pretty progressive" when it comes to music. Most of us purchased Voodoo and appreciated it and although I, *ahem* enjoyed, the video from a female perspective, I don't think it had THAT much to do with why heads couldn't get into it.

Too many people, nowadays are pre-cooked, pre-packaged, pre-processed junkies. In order to truly enjoy the essence of Voodoo, I think you had to study it, dissect it, really undestand it.

Heads ain't willing to do all that and they're to easily disracted. I know I will be disagreed with, which is cool, but like I said before. . .I truly believe that Voodoo, unfortunately, was simply too cerebral for way too many people.
If it was simplified, catchier hooks (not the ones you have to "find") and a less gloomy feel, nukkas would have been all over it.

But methinks D' couldn't really care less. . .

And whoever said Cheeba has a better marketing plan coming up, I certainly hope so, but that ain't what I heard!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

Soulow
Charter member
113 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 09:52 AM

62. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 47

>In
>order to truly enjoy the
>essence of Voodoo, I think
>you had to study it,
>dissect it, really undestand it.

I agree. I dig the album, but you could tell that it wasn't something that your average hip hop head, pop, or even R&B fan would necessarily be feelin'. I remember the cats who told me they didn't like the album, and I remember thinking to myself "yeah, that's because you don't want to have to think about what you're listening to." And there is a whole mess of music out there that is made especially for these people.

>Heads ain't willing to do all
>that and they're to easily
>disracted

SO true. I hear so many of these if-it-ain't-undaground-it-ain't-right hip hop heads talk about how they aren't feelin' some song or some artist, and half of the time it's just an excuse for shit being over their head. I'm not refering to BrainChild or his post, I'm just speaking in general terms. Quest had a paragraph in his signature for a while that had a Wynton Marsalis quote...followed by Quest's version of the same quote...where basically he broke it down and explained that in order to further a musical genre, one must first possess the mental capability to do so. That leaves a lot of people in this business (no matter what the genre is) assed out.

Peace,
http://www.mindspring.com/~tracyhorn

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 10:45 AM

63. "RE: here's a concept"
In response to Reply # 47

>Too many people, nowadays are pre-cooked,
>pre-packaged, pre-processed junkies. In
>order to truly enjoy the
>essence of Voodoo, I think
>you had to study it,
>dissect it, really undestand it.

why do you think this post comes an entire year after its release? i respect it for the ballsy album that is (anything that isn't 100% computerized is ballsy these days), and i am able to enjoy lots of it.

--me--
visit my website dammit

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 07:25 AM

48. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>I really enjoyed the album.
>
>A lot.
>

If you enjoyed the Album; What's with all the bullshit you just wrote. Nit pickey individuals such as yourself need to get out more.
lol
paces
PS3

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good & how he treats people who can't fight back"-Abigail Van Buren

I'm Certified

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 07:58 AM

50. "marketing question for anybody"
In response to Reply # 0

who knows.

If Cheeba is planning a "better marketing campaign" for the live album, how come we haven't seen anything yet? Isn't the live joint about to drop in less than 60 days? How far in advance do they start to spin?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

silver
Charter member
110 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 03:28 AM

53. "CAN THE CHURCH SAY AMEN N/M!"
In response to Reply # 50

I guess marketing to them would mean just putting it out there and letting the material speak for itself and hoping that people would rememeber and get flashbacks! (Those of us who attended Voodoo episodes I & II) YEAH RIGHT!

PEACE & BLESSINGS

Check This "http://www.dangelosangels.com"

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more; it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

William Shakes

ladyt277

Wed Apr-04-01 06:51 AM

57. "Hey Marketing...Voodoo Live - NOT"
In response to Reply # 53

I loved the album, went to the concert twice. Do I want to hear a "Live" Voodoo. -- Not really. I'm ready for some new stuff from D.

I once was blind, but now I see...OKAYPlayer.com.

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 08:26 PM

66. "WHY YOU THINK IT KEEPS GETTING PUSHED BACK?!"
In response to Reply # 50

MAN, I DONT KNOW. I JUST CANT WAIT. THEY BETTER HAVE THAT 15 MINUTE ONE MO GIN, DEVILS, AND UNTITLED. PEACE AND CHICKEN GREASE.
"I FELT PRESSURED TO HAVE A SIGNATURE."

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

peacefornow

Wed Apr-04-01 09:08 AM

59. "Why Brainchild should release a record"
In response to Reply # 0

Brainchild, this is not to be mean or overly harsh.

But, of all the subjective reviews I have read that said nothing about Voodoo, I must say that yours belongs squarely in their ranks.

Voodoo "backfired?" How did it "backfire?" According to which standard? Certainly not commercially. And from a "critical" standpoint - well, HA HA - cri-ticks PANNED Erykah's album and I think that that shit was 100% FEAR on their part. Badu made a record that moves gracefully through more changes than most artists' whole discographies.

Dig on all the references made to Voodoo as a "bedroom" album - which I agree with - D's Let's Get It On if you will, and maybe you might see why it's ludicrous to talk about D's singles choices. I think you're looking at it all wrong.

The repetitiousness of that record is epiphany.

Welcome to Okayplayer, my favorite online loft.

I ain't no glamour boy - I'm fierce

Pre-order Angieee's book The Broke Diaries at http://www.amazon.com. It's easy and you can do it by check or money order. I know.

peacefornow

Wed Apr-04-01 09:12 AM

60. "The above should read "...his own album." n/m"
In response to Reply # 59

Pre-order Angieee's book The Broke Diaries at http://www.amazon.com. It's easy and you can do it by check or money order. I know.

peacefornow

Wed Apr-04-01 09:13 AM

61. "^^^...his own album dammit!"
In response to Reply # 60

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 10:47 AM

64. "RE: Why Brainchild should release a record"

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

that was so funny

FUCK NEO-SOUL! (C) ME

keepers of the funk:
http://www.geocities.com/firefire100

"i'm joining morris' band" - appollonia kotero

albums of the week:
jon b- pleasures u like
shuggie otis - inspiration information
sleepy's theme - the vinyl roomj (revisited)
stevie - songs in the key of life (revisited)
kast -stankonia

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 10:55 AM

65. "RE: Why Brainchild should release a record"

give me some studio time and i'll gladly cook something up

>Brainchild, this is not to be
>mean or overly harsh.

ok.

>But, of all the subjective reviews
>I have read that said
>nothing about Voodoo, I must
>say that yours belongs squarely
>in their ranks.

i said nothing about Voodoo? what the fuck did I write up at the top of this post then?

>Voodoo "backfired?" How did it "backfire?"
>According to which standard? Certainly
>not commercially.

Voodoo backfired commercially due to bad marketing. It's sales could've increased sharply had the singles been chosen better.

>And from a
>"critical" standpoint - well, HA
>HA - cri-ticks PANNED Erykah's
>album and I think that
>that shit was 100% FEAR
>on their part. Badu made
>a record that moves gracefully
>through more changes than most
>artists' whole discographies.

i think there's a couple filler tracks on there, but yeah, mama's gun is excellent... although after "orange moon" i start waiting for the end to arrive.

>Dig on all the references made
>to Voodoo as a "bedroom"
>album - which I agree
>with - D's Let's Get
>It On if you will,

whoa... whoa... whoa... let's not do make that comparison yet. Give the album about 5 more years before you say stuff like that.

>and maybe you might see
>why it's ludicrous to talk
>about D's singles choices. I
>think you're looking at it
>all wrong.

albums aren't released just to make some kind of statement.

>The repetitiousness of that record is
>epiphany.

what's an epiphany to some may be a bad dream to others.

--me--
visit my website dammit

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

villa

Thu Apr-12-01 09:44 PM

68. "RE: Why Voodoo Backfired - a commentary"
In response to Reply # 0

just shut up . please

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 05:28 AM

69. "hahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 68

you bring this post back that hasn't been touched in over a week just to say that?

cah-muh-dee!

--me--
visit my website dammit

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17483 Previous topic | Next topic