Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI agree with BrainChild
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=17483&mesg_id=17520
17520, I agree with BrainChild
Posted by AZNThought_Pt_III, Sun Apr-01-01 08:29 AM
somewhat... You're right in saying that as a whole some of the songs on the album just get a lil tedious after awhile. As a rule of thumb, I usually listen to the latter half of the album when I pop it in my stereo, songs like Africa, Spanish Joint, etc etc.
For some inexplicable reason (as in I personally can't explain it), I listen to Brown Sugar and Live @ the Jazz Cafe a lot more than Voodoo. However, Voodoo by itself is still an extraordinary accomplishment, and makes 99% of the other so-called soul artists out there pale in comparison.
Perhaps Brown Sugar was just such a good introduction that it simply can't be surpassed...
As for the way it was promoted, I really can't comment on it because I simply don't know what the norm is for music promotion. However, I do agree that many female fans I know wouldn't have been fans if they hadn't seen the Untitled video and therefore I also agree that some of the appreciation for his incredible music has been lost in materiality. This can be quite upsetting for the all the music purists out there.
HOWEVER, on the other hand, it has gotten D a lot of exposure and spread his music much further amongst the masses than otherwise might've been if he hadn't chosen the "untitled route". Let's face it... in itself, D'angelo's music isn't exactly your mainstream cup of tea.
Enough rambling for now, props to a brave man for sticking his neck out like that and saying what he truly thinks...

'Arigato, to all my people in Japan,
Whetha ya rockin Cardier or Pierre
Cardan,
I'm bargin through like "excuse I beg
ya pardon"
I crush carbon copy emcees with
clone jargon'
Black Thought - Act Fore... (hidden
track)