Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #275048

Subject: "Mechanical Keyboards - Anybody got one?" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Thu Aug-23-12 10:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Mechanical Keyboards - Anybody got one?"

It's good to be in with your IT guy at work. I put in a req order for a Das Keyboard Model S Pro. Didn't bat an eye and gave the order invoice back in 2 minutes. Hopefully Newegg will deliver by Tuesday. I'm finna klack the hell out of my co-workers. It's got to be better than the POS wireless keyboards that everybody else has. After a bit of waffling, I decided to go with the blue cherrys. The bump and the click kinda sold me, as I wasn't 100% confident the brown would be right for me (and while there are the black cherrys, I have a feeling one of my HP ps/2 keyboards would feel similar)

Anybody else rocking one? If I really like the Das Keybpard, I may well order one for home (I have been eying the Razor Black Widow, but I don't game like that)

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was about to make this post.
Aug 24th 2012
I believe the Quick Fire Pro has the 10 key pad
Aug 24th 2012
      The Pro unfortunately has Brown switches.
Aug 24th 2012
Looks like Wednesday is the delivery date for the Das Keyboard
Aug 25th 2012
I use an old IBM 8923 keyboard
Aug 25th 2012
yup i have an unlabeled das.
Aug 26th 2012
You'll get reported to HR for sure
Aug 26th 2012
The Das came in today
Aug 27th 2012
DASKEYBOARDENSTEIN!
Aug 27th 2012
mess around and get your spacebar stolen.
Aug 27th 2012
Let 'em try...
Aug 27th 2012
i have two ibm model Ms at home
Aug 28th 2012
I want one of those ones with the trackpoint.
Aug 28th 2012
I'd love one of those black ones
Aug 28th 2012
Been about 2 weeks. Better impressions
Sep 17th 2012
Got a Filco with ninja caps.
Sep 17th 2012
Heard nice things about Filcos. Let me know how you like it
Sep 22nd 2012
      RE: Heard nice things about Filcos. Let me know how you like it
Sep 23rd 2012
The Razer came in last night
Sep 25th 2012
Is it really that serious?
Sep 26th 2012
If you do a lot of typing, yes it is
Sep 27th 2012
only if you want to annoy everyone around you
Jan 09th 2024
Wish I searched for this post earler as I was wanting reviews
Nov 15th 2020
Forgot this thread. Currently running a G810 on my personal rig
Nov 23rd 2020
^bump
Dec 31st 2023
great save I'm looking at them right now
Nov 23rd 2020
RE: Mechanical Keyboards - Anybody got one?
Jan 11th 2024
Yes, go to Microcenter. I have a Steelseries APEX5...love it
Jan 30th 2024
Looking at these ZSA joints
Feb 04th 2024

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Fri Aug-24-12 06:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was about to make this post."
In response to Reply # 0

I tried out a few mechanical keyboards and different types of switches, and I love the Cherry MX blue switches (compared to Brown and Black). The feel and sound of them is just great.

I'm thinking of getting a Filco Majestouch 2 since it has a number pad, but it's expensive as fuck. The keyboard that I tried out was the Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid, and that's the one that convinced me to get Blues, but it's unfortunately tenkeyless.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Fri Aug-24-12 06:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I believe the Quick Fire Pro has the 10 key pad"
In response to Reply # 1

I saw the QF Rapid at Microcenter, but without that 10 key I couldn't do it. I will probably head back up there to see if all the mechanical boards they have there are blue cherrys or not (never tried browns and would like to just in case the blues are too loud for work). Either way, when I finally build my computer this year, a mechanical board will be in play

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Steve O Tron v2
12906 posts
Fri Aug-24-12 06:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "The Pro unfortunately has Brown switches."
In response to Reply # 2

I know I wouldn't be able to use Blues in my office because they'd be too loud, but at home the Blues would be fine.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Sat Aug-25-12 02:21 PM

4. "Looks like Wednesday is the delivery date for the Das Keyboard"
In response to Reply # 0

Will definitely report back. If I like it, the question then becomes whether to order another for home or go with the Black Widow Ultimate (blue lights, just because)

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Sat Aug-25-12 08:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I use an old IBM 8923 keyboard"
In response to Reply # 0

it's not mechanical but it feels WAY better than your typical new keyboard. I have had this thing forever. I'm going to have to try some mechanical types and see if it's a major improvement.

Triptych
Charter member
30125 posts
Sun Aug-26-12 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
6. "yup i have an unlabeled das. "
In response to Reply # 0

it's loud as FUCK. But great. Also an unlabeled keyboard makes you a badass (in certain circles)

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

handle
Charter member
18952 posts
Sun Aug-26-12 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "You'll get reported to HR for sure"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a real reason they moved away from mechanical keyboards. Your coworkers will hate you after a day or two.

(I was a user until about 2004 - but after doing some typing tests using the mechanical one I had and the newer Apple slims, I found I actually typed more accurately on the slims.)

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Aug-27-12 12:41 PM

8. "The Das came in today"
In response to Reply # 0

My co-workers can suck it. This thing feels fantastic. I will need a day or two to get used to it, coming from a mushy as fuck Logitech wireless. I'm already banging the keys down harder than I need to since the old keyboard was a PITA to get the keys to engage.

Admittedly it is a bit loud, but it could be worse. Push comes to shove I will get one with brown keys and take this one home (though I need one with media controls for the home use). Also not a huge fan oof eh dual USB cables, but whatever. I would be hard pressed to go back to a regular keyboard now, that's for sure.

I think I saw a wireless board too. No ligts, but hell, it's wireless...

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Mon Aug-27-12 10:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "DASKEYBOARDENSTEIN!"
In response to Reply # 8

d.
Member since Dec 13th 2009
4132 posts
Mon Aug-27-12 02:19 PM

9. "mess around and get your spacebar stolen."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/27/3271136/chinese-gamer-returns-stolen-spacebars
___

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Aug-27-12 02:58 PM

10. "Let 'em try..."
In response to Reply # 9

Th eoffice is noisy as it is. We've all got cubbies that have a bit of room, so the noise has to carry a little farther. But considering they stuck me next to a busy, noisy ass copier/scanner/printer that runs all the time and the broads over here loudly air out their business all day, A few clicks of this here keyboard better not make a difference.

After my IT guy sa it he's seriously considering getting one himself now. BUt he has an office with a door, so he can clack all he wants to.

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Tue Aug-28-12 03:05 AM

12. "i have two ibm model Ms at home"
In response to Reply # 0

One (off) white, the other black with a red Trackpoint in the middle and left/right mouse keys at the bottom. Given how much more I type at work, I really should be using one there.

http://urkelmoedee.com
http://urkelmoedee.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/urkelmoedee

PSN: UrkelMoeDee

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Aug-28-12 11:26 AM

13. "I want one of those ones with the trackpoint."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Aug-28-12 11:27 AM by stravinskian

I'm pretty sure decline in trackpoints correlates strongly with the overall decline in civilizations.

Anyway last I looked they could only be found on ebay, and for pretty good money if I remember right.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-28-12 11:54 AM

14. "I'd love one of those black ones"
In response to Reply # 12

Those are semi-rare from what I read so far. And yes they do fetch a pretty penny.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Sep-17-12 11:44 AM

15. "Been about 2 weeks. Better impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

The feel is still a great thing. With some use, you learn not to bottom out the keys which adds to some of the noise. After a while you realize the blue MX switches aren't THAT loud (a buckling spring is louder, for sure) but it damn sure isn't quiet either. But the physical and audible 'snap' each key makes is quite satisfying, and I'm sure I"d miss that with, say, brown switches.

All isn't prefect, as some keys feel like they either need to be broken in or the switches are sticking. May be worth getting a keypuller and checking at some point. Also, while the switches feel fantastic, they aren't quite the same as your IBM buckling spring keys, so if you're dead set on those, it's close but not exactly the same. But as an upgrade over your standard keyboard, if you do any extended typing you will notice the difference and love it.

I've been scanning on ebay the past few weeks and managed to come up on a Razar Blackwidow Ultimate for $66. I'd like to see how it compares to the das.

Steve O Tron v2
12906 posts
Mon Sep-17-12 06:03 PM

16. "Got a Filco with ninja caps."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm loving it. Almost makes me look forward to typing my dissertation, haha.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Sat Sep-22-12 08:48 PM

17. "Heard nice things about Filcos. Let me know how you like it"
In response to Reply # 16

After doing some research (which I probably should have done beforehand, but whatever...), I need some disposable income so I can justify getting one of these:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/

Custom colors, laser or engraved keys, and choice of switches? If it had any media controls I'd resell the Blackwidow once it comes in.

Steve O Tron v2
12906 posts
Sun Sep-23-12 05:45 PM

18. "RE: Heard nice things about Filcos. Let me know how you like it"
In response to Reply # 17

I love it. Been using it for almost a week now, and I love how tactile it is (and the clicks). I wish I could get away with a keyboard with blue switches at work, because it just feels bad typing on rubber dome boards now.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Sep-25-12 04:31 PM

19. "The Razer came in last night"
In response to Reply # 0

Part of me has half a mind to relist it. Not that the keys feel wrong; it does have the nice clicky cherry blues, has the 10 key and some media control functions. The two things I'm not completely sold on are 1) the font on the keys and 2) the backlighting. On the one hand, glowing keys look cool, and you can dim them a bit (or just cut it off). On the other hand, I'm probably too old for glowing keyboards (sadly I'm having the same thoughts about my lighted fightsticks, but that's something else). I did get it for less than the price of a regular Razer, so I can't complain. Just need to get used to the font I suppose.

muzuabo
Member since Dec 03rd 2009
2064 posts
Wed Sep-26-12 03:52 PM

20. "Is it really that serious?"
In response to Reply # 0

I had never even heard of a mechanical keyboard prior to today.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 08:04 PM

21. "If you do a lot of typing, yes it is"
In response to Reply # 20

Part of it may be wrapped in nostalgia, as a lot of older heads came up on older IBM boards with the buckling springs. But even if you didn't, if you stay on a keyboard a majority of the time at work, you will notice the difference and really be surprised about how much better the feel is and how much more accurately and quickly you end up typing on a mechanical board. Tools of the trade, I suppose.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57005 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 04:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "only if you want to annoy everyone around you"
In response to Reply # 20

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sun Nov-15-20 09:50 PM

22. "Wish I searched for this post earler as I was wanting reviews"
In response to Reply # 0

The Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard is pretty good. The sharpness of typing and the uptick in speed is well worth the difference in sound. This keyboard is relatively quiet, which is good since my roommate is in the other room and can hear random noises in my room.

The only drawback is that the keys themselves have some sway which has decreased some of my accuracy. But the keyboard will be expensed so for basically a 'free' keyboard, it's been quite the upgrade.

Would do it again.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Nov-23-20 02:06 PM

23. "Forgot this thread. Currently running a G810 on my personal rig"
In response to Reply # 22

Every computer I use has a mechanical keyboard at this point. I have a Roswell keyboard at work with brown Cherry switches at work. It's a decent compromise from Cherry blues, and still feels worlds better than the wireless membrane keyboards most use. I so need to clean it though.

At home my work keyboard has the Das keyboard with Cherry blue switches. Still feels fantastic, still loud. I don't mind as much, my wife does. At some point I may swap the work and home work keyboards to keep the peace.

My personal computer has the Logitech G810 with the ROMER-G switches. I like those much more than the Cherry browns. The 'bump' feels a little more defined, and the engagement is a bit shorter. I managed to catch it on sale a few years ago, and for a full RGB keyboard I can't really complain at all.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sun Dec-31-23 11:46 AM

25. "^bump"
In response to Reply # 23

I grabbed a Logitech G810 about four months ago because the spacebar on my previous keyboard went out.

I thought of buying the Logitech MX Mechanical and did some online shopping at Best Buy and eBay, but I couldn't find one at a price I liked. So, I landed on the G810, and it's been a great find. I really like the travel and the feel of the keys. My typing is generally faster than before, although less accurate. So, I'm having to learn to slow down. LOL

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Mon Nov-23-20 03:45 PM

24. "great save I'm looking at them right now "
In response to Reply # 22
Mon Nov-23-20 03:52 PM by L_O_Quent

Looking at the Keychron K2 (there is no Nordic version of the K4) with maybe brown switches as my starter keyboard.

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Thu Jan-11-24 05:26 AM

27. "RE: Mechanical Keyboards - Anybody got one?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016MAK38U

Looking at a new one too. Playing a lot of SCUM: https://scumgame.com/

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Tue Jan-30-24 01:08 AM

28. "Yes, go to Microcenter. I have a Steelseries APEX5...love it"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Sun Feb-04-24 09:51 AM

29. "Looking at these ZSA joints"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.zsa.io/moonlander/

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Lobby High-Tech topic #275048 Previous topic | Next topic