I’ve been almost exclusively Griselda and Justus League lately. Open for something new(which is why I made the post), but I tend to largely go all in on what I like.
Mine: WestSide Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 7 - production on this is beautiful. Maybe the best produced album of ‘19? Conway the Machine - Everybody is Food 2 - It was the Khrysis beat that pointed me to this one, though I’ve liked everything I’ve heard from Conway. He never has a bad verse. This is solid as hell. Big Pooh - RPM - crazy underrated IMO. Pooh kills it with the one producer albums and while the Apollo Brown and Nottz albums got their proper credit, this one seemed to fly under the radar. Pooh and Focus killed it. Median - Median’s Relief. Throwback. How Big Is Your World is still one of my favorite songs ever made. I miss Median, I wish he’d drop another album.
1. "I'm also back on RPM." In response to Reply # 0
I kinda got back into a Little Brother kick. I listened to them almost exclusively from when their new joint came out til like the end of October. Then went on to some other stuff. Now the last week or so I've been listening to their solo/other material. Currently have "RPM" and "Charity Starts at Home" in heavy rotation.
Also have "Be" by Common in the mix as of this morning. Saw a post he did on IG where the beat for "Chi City" was playing and remembered how much I love that song. And realized that while I've listened to stray songs from Be often, I haven't listened to the full album in a few years probably. So I popped it in this morning and remembered how great it was. So many amazing moments, both lyrically and on the production tip.
Otherwise "FOTO" by Kota has still been in the mix a bit. Couple other stray albums in and out that I can't remember right now. I'll check Spotify and report back. I know there's some good, more recent shit that I'm forgetting.
2. "May The Lord Watch was in heavy rotation for months " In response to Reply # 1 Thu Feb-06-20 09:33 PM by DJR
and while I’m not playing it often enough to say it’s in “rotation” now - I did listen to it again just last week. Great album. I also played Separate But Equal recently, and have gone to Chitlin Circuit 1.5 on and off for awhile now.
But really that new LB album got me playing the whole Justus League again. I bought and enjoyed Chaundon and DJ Flash’s new album, I played all the Away Team albums at some point last fall, I played Median’s - The Sender heavily for awhile, and Legacy’s - I’m A Star has gotten heavy play from me for awhile(album as a whole is too dark for me at this point lol, but it’s dope). Also Big Pooh, Joe Scudda, and Chaundon - Plastic Cups and Big Pooh, Jozeemo, Chaundon, and Scudda - Roll Call have gotten a lot of play from me recently too.
Common - BE marks a very specific time for me in Spring of ‘05. Takes me right back to eating bagel thins with miracle whip on them as meals, and cleaning the HELL out of our apartment with my roommates to make sure we got our deposit back, as my senior year of college came to an end. Can’t say I’ve gone back to that album much for whatever reason, but I really loved it at the time.
4. So Swizz Beatz put together the soundtrack to the TV show "Godfather in Harlem" (highly recommend the show) but instead of dropping it at once he put out a song for each ep....which of course got lost in the wave.
(sidebar Buddy really got the glow on collabs, he makes every record sound better, I hope he finds the record to really breakthrough)
5. Lil Wayne's album Funeral was solid IMO. The second song samples some neo-soul that you've prolly heard before....and it seems that Wayne liked the beat a lot. The producer of the song was in the hiphopheads reddit page and said Wayne found the beat on his SoundCloud and reached out...dudes only like 19 years old too...hope he gets more work because this was a good chop IMO
1. O70 Shake - modus vivendi (to me this is a sequel to the first Kid Cudi album in feel, she's gonna make something special one day)
2. Von Pea - City For Sale (Von still the most consistent, tho I feel like I'm missing something in the album by not being from or living in New York but I still like it)
3. Daniel Lopatin - Uncut Gems Soundtrack (I liked the music better than the movie....check it out if you like odd, but still melodic keyboard music.)
4. Chromatics - Closer To Grey (since this winter has been nothing but Grey skies this has been hitting. It's really dark tho, it will fuck up your mood if you let it.)
5. Kaytranda - Bubba (60 minutes of upbeat, happy dance songs with features that don't appear on very many albums....just inject this into my veins please...still haven't seen Kay live, I need to do that.)
19. "RE: What’s in your rotation right now?" In response to Reply # 11
>Boldy James x Alchemist >The God Fahim - Lost Kingz >Smoke DZA x Benny The Butcher EP >Brother Ali x Evidence >Crimeapple x DJ Skizz >
Smoke DZA and Benny is the only one I heard. Really like that project. Always liked Evidence and love Alchemist, so I’ll check for those. Liked what I heard from the God Fahim when he worked with Griselda, so I’ll check for that too.
I think I listened to a couple Crimeapple songs when MySP1200BrokenAgain posted his best of 2019 mix, I’ll have to check for that one too.
20. "Yeah. And I had no idea he’s been around since ‘99" In response to Reply # 12
At some point in the last couple years I looked up his production discography. He produced for Joe and Kandi way back then? He produced “Yes” for Beyoncé on her first album(which was one of the better songs on that album IMO?)He did You Already Know for 112? Had no clue. Always assumed he started in the late 00s-early 10s.
I LOVE the work he did for Pooh on RPM. That album just has a certain feel and vibe that I love. And Pooh is a master at getting good-great and cohesive production on his albums. He’s got a hell of a mind for dope hip hop IMO.
14. "RE: What’s in your rotation right now?" In response to Reply # 0
- Angel Olsen, Weyes Blood, and Big Thief albums from last year. They were some of my favorite records of the year and I've been drifting out of a heavy hip hop listening period toward... I'm not sure what yet, but something along these lines. We'll see where it goes.
- Nicolas Godin's Concrete and Glass is really really good - it's been a great album to keep in rotation at work right now
- That new Jeff Parker is amazing
- Moses Sumney in anticipation for his releases this year
17. "RE: What’s in your rotation right now?" In response to Reply # 14 Tue Feb-11-20 06:53 PM by Kosa12
Benny The Butcher - The Plugs I Met (the type of rap to make you mean mug without realizing it) Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising Weyes Blood - Front Row Seat To Earth Nick Drake - Pink Moon Skip Coon Miles Garvey (this is some really great political rap that seems to fall below most people's radar) Ana Frango elétrico - Little Electric Chicken Heart Anything by Portishead Billy Woods - Hiding Places (one of the best rap albums of last decade IMO, masterpiece stuff)
22. "You made me realize I don’t know SHIT about anything but hip hop" In response to Reply # 14
in terms of newer music. That’s why I made this post. Gotta expand my horizons. It’s hard keeping up with new music as an adult. I’m really trying hard not to become the guy who only listens to the music he grew up on. Appreciate the response, I’m about to do my googles.
24. "RE: What’s in your rotation right now?" In response to Reply # 0
There's lots of Unfade-able Frederick Gibbs in my gym mix. Lots of JayZ, Wu, Griselda, Curren$y, and Prodigy/Mobb stuff too.
I liked a lot of that 'last' Game album too. Just rock solid rap stuff even if we've heard it all before.
I randomly threw some E-40/Click/B-Legit stuff onto it recently too. I play it on random usually with grand results. Dusted and Disgusted, Million $ Spot, and The Bumble extended my workout just this morning. Dope ass beats. Good ass rapping.
Nas/Prodigy/Alc's Tick Tock came on right after and I was hella enthused. So yeah, old stuff.
>I’ve been almost exclusively Griselda and Justus League >lately. Open for something new(which is why I made the post), >but I tend to largely go all in on what I like. > >Mine: >WestSide Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 7 - production on this is >beautiful. Maybe the best produced album of ‘19? >Conway the Machine - Everybody is Food 2 - It was the Khrysis >beat that pointed me to this one, though I’ve liked >everything I’ve heard from Conway. He never has a bad >verse. This is solid as hell. >Big Pooh - RPM - crazy underrated IMO. Pooh kills it with the >one producer albums and while the Apollo Brown and Nottz >albums got their proper credit, this one seemed to fly under >the radar. Pooh and Focus killed it. >Median - Median’s Relief. Throwback. How Big Is Your World >is still one of my favorite songs ever made. I miss Median, I >wish he’d drop another album.