Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat’s in your rotation right now?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3021934
3021934, What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by DJR, Thu Feb-06-20 06:25 PM
I’ve been almost exclusively Griselda and Justus League lately. Open for something new(which is why I made the post), but I tend to largely go all in on what I like.

Mine:
WestSide Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 7 - production on this is beautiful. Maybe the best produced album of ‘19?
Conway the Machine - Everybody is Food 2 - It was the Khrysis beat that pointed me to this one, though I’ve liked everything I’ve heard from Conway. He never has a bad verse. This is solid as hell.
Big Pooh - RPM - crazy underrated IMO. Pooh kills it with the one producer albums and while the Apollo Brown and Nottz albums got their proper credit, this one seemed to fly under the radar. Pooh and Focus killed it.
Median - Median’s Relief. Throwback. How Big Is Your World is still one of my favorite songs ever made. I miss Median, I wish he’d drop another album.
3021935, I'm also back on RPM.
Posted by Brew, Thu Feb-06-20 08:56 PM
I kinda got back into a Little Brother kick. I listened to them almost exclusively from when their new joint came out til like the end of October. Then went on to some other stuff. Now the last week or so I've been listening to their solo/other material. Currently have "RPM" and "Charity Starts at Home" in heavy rotation.

Also have "Be" by Common in the mix as of this morning. Saw a post he did on IG where the beat for "Chi City" was playing and remembered how much I love that song. And realized that while I've listened to stray songs from Be often, I haven't listened to the full album in a few years probably. So I popped it in this morning and remembered how great it was. So many amazing moments, both lyrically and on the production tip.

Otherwise "FOTO" by Kota has still been in the mix a bit. Couple other stray albums in and out that I can't remember right now. I'll check Spotify and report back. I know there's some good, more recent shit that I'm forgetting.
3021936, May The Lord Watch was in heavy rotation for months
Posted by DJR, Thu Feb-06-20 09:23 PM
and while I’m not playing it often enough to say it’s in “rotation” now - I did listen to it again just last week. Great album. I also played Separate But Equal recently, and have gone to Chitlin Circuit 1.5 on and off for awhile now.

But really that new LB album got me playing the whole Justus League again. I bought and enjoyed Chaundon and DJ Flash’s new album, I played all the Away Team albums at some point last fall, I played Median’s - The Sender heavily for awhile, and Legacy’s - I’m A Star has gotten heavy play from me for awhile(album as a whole is too dark for me at this point lol, but it’s dope). Also Big Pooh, Joe Scudda, and Chaundon - Plastic Cups and Big Pooh, Jozeemo, Chaundon, and Scudda - Roll Call have gotten a lot of play from me recently too.

Common - BE marks a very specific time for me in Spring of ‘05. Takes me right back to eating bagel thins with miracle whip on them as meals, and cleaning the HELL out of our apartment with my roommates to make sure we got our deposit back, as my senior year of college came to an end. Can’t say I’ve gone back to that album much for whatever reason, but I really loved it at the time.
3021945, im constantly on new music
Posted by mista k5, Fri Feb-07-20 11:40 AM
lately ive been working on refining my 2019 playlist, trying to cut it down to at least 100 songs.

when im not doing that im checking out music from 2020.

other than that its pretty much kota.
3021952, 5 songs and 5 albums.
Posted by phemom, Fri Feb-07-20 07:04 PM
1. Jessie Ware has made the decision to just drop a single every few months w/o any promo, I don't mind it at all...this one has a house vibe to it.

Mirage (Don't Stop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHz0KYb7wV8

2. Little Dragon is dropping an album next month and I pre-ordered the vinyl and an 80 page photo book that comes with it....I love them that much.

Hold On: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDvTxGeJuY

3. There's always a Styles P album in rotation, I don't know who this Xander guy is on the hook....but I need to find out.

Golden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfvWsoudBs

4. So Swizz Beatz put together the soundtrack to the TV show "Godfather in Harlem" (highly recommend the show) but instead of dropping it at once he put out a song for each ep....which of course got lost in the wave.

Hallelujah (Feat. Buddy, A$AP Ferg, Wale): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb86Xj3Dg4k

(sidebar Buddy really got the glow on collabs, he makes every record sound better, I hope he finds the record to really breakthrough)

5. Lil Wayne's album Funeral was solid IMO. The second song samples some neo-soul that you've prolly heard before....and it seems that Wayne liked the beat a lot. The producer of the song was in the hiphopheads reddit page and said Wayne found the beat on his SoundCloud and reached out...dudes only like 19 years old too...hope he gets more work because this was a good chop IMO

Mahogany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNNa_xUEnsE

Albums:

1. O70 Shake - modus vivendi (to me this is a sequel to the first Kid Cudi album in feel, she's gonna make something special one day)

2. Von Pea - City For Sale (Von still the most consistent, tho I feel like I'm missing something in the album by not being from or living in New York but I still like it)

3. Daniel Lopatin - Uncut Gems Soundtrack (I liked the music better than the movie....check it out if you like odd, but still melodic keyboard music.)

4. Chromatics - Closer To Grey (since this winter has been nothing but Grey skies this has been hitting. It's really dark tho, it will fuck up your mood if you let it.)

5. Kaytranda - Bubba (60 minutes of upbeat, happy dance songs with features that don't appear on very many albums....just inject this into my veins please...still haven't seen Kay live, I need to do that.)
3021964, RE: 5 songs and 5 albums.
Posted by DJR, Sat Feb-08-20 08:29 AM
Can’t go wrong with Styles P.

I played that Von Pea album a lot - very solid.

Been wanting to get into Kaytranada. I really liked the song he did with Phonte on that EP Phonte made last spring. I’ll check for that new album and give it some spins.
3021965, Denzel Curry - Unlocked & Boldy James/ALC - Price of Tea
Posted by Nabs, Sat Feb-08-20 11:03 AM
The Curry joint produced by Kenny Beats and Boldy James produced by Alchemist. Both are crazy good.
3021967, I’ve seen some social media buzz on that Price of Tea
Posted by DJR, Sat Feb-08-20 11:57 AM
Will check for that soon.
3022040, unlocked was so cool
Posted by mista k5, Tue Feb-11-20 04:21 PM
especially with the video
3021968, Lamb Over Rice
Posted by makaveli, Sat Feb-08-20 02:19 PM
3022065, Alchemist produced the whole thing?
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-12-20 08:43 PM
I wrote Action Bronson off over the Ghostface beef. Maybe I need to move beyond that and give him a real chance? Alchemist production will get me to check for pretty much anyone.
3022120, Bronson definitely isnt the same since Ghost
Posted by spitfire, Mon Feb-17-20 07:51 AM
He sounds less interested in spitting or something
3022121, yes
Posted by makaveli, Mon Feb-17-20 10:28 AM
rhymes are solid, beats are fire.
3021970, ...
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sat Feb-08-20 04:32 PM
sa-ra creative partners - the hollywood recordings
kaytranada - bubba
flying lotus - flamagra
quasimoto - mix
cameo - mix
3021971, shafiq quasyn - the loop instrumentals
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sat Feb-08-20 04:35 PM
https://shafiqhusayn.bandcamp.com/album/the-loop-instrumentals
3022043, Thanks
Posted by c71, Tue Feb-11-20 04:35 PM
yes
3021973, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by gatsbythegreat, Sat Feb-08-20 05:48 PM
Boldy James x Alchemist
The God Fahim - Lost Kingz
Smoke DZA x Benny The Butcher EP
Brother Ali x Evidence
Crimeapple x DJ Skizz

3021978, that bro ali + ev is so overlooked
Posted by Nabs, Sat Feb-08-20 10:48 PM
such a good project.
3022061, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-12-20 08:22 PM
>Boldy James x Alchemist
>The God Fahim - Lost Kingz
>Smoke DZA x Benny The Butcher EP
>Brother Ali x Evidence
>Crimeapple x DJ Skizz
>

Smoke DZA and Benny is the only one I heard. Really like that project. Always liked Evidence and love Alchemist, so I’ll check for those. Liked what I heard from the God Fahim when he worked with Griselda, so I’ll check for that too.

I think I listened to a couple Crimeapple songs when MySP1200BrokenAgain posted his best of 2019 mix, I’ll have to check for that one too.
3021974, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by gatsbythegreat, Sat Feb-08-20 05:49 PM
Focus is criminally underrated
3022062, Yeah. And I had no idea he’s been around since ‘99
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-12-20 08:32 PM
At some point in the last couple years I looked up his production discography. He produced for Joe and Kandi way back then? He produced “Yes” for Beyoncé on her first album(which was one of the better songs on that album IMO?)He did You Already Know for 112? Had no clue. Always assumed he started in the late 00s-early 10s.

I LOVE the work he did for Pooh on RPM. That album just has a certain feel and vibe that I love. And Pooh is a master at getting good-great and cohesive production on his albums. He’s got a hell of a mind for dope hip hop IMO.
3022038, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Feb-11-20 03:20 PM
- Angel Olsen, Weyes Blood, and Big Thief albums from last year. They were some of my favorite records of the year and I've been drifting out of a heavy hip hop listening period toward... I'm not sure what yet, but something along these lines. We'll see where it goes.

- Nicolas Godin's Concrete and Glass is really really good - it's been a great album to keep in rotation at work right now

- That new Jeff Parker is amazing

- Moses Sumney in anticipation for his releases this year

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3022045, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by Kosa12, Tue Feb-11-20 06:51 PM
Benny The Butcher - The Plugs I Met (the type of rap to make you mean mug without realizing it)
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Weyes Blood - Front Row Seat To Earth
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Skip Coon Miles Garvey (this is some really great political rap that seems to fall below most people's radar)
Ana Frango elétrico - Little Electric Chicken Heart
Anything by Portishead
Billy Woods - Hiding Places (one of the best rap albums of last decade IMO, masterpiece stuff)

edit: did not mean to reply to you, oh well lol
3022054, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Feb-12-20 12:28 PM

>Ana Frango elétrico - Little Electric Chicken Heart

Thanks for this - name is new to me, listening now - only two tracks in and already *really* digging it.

>Billy Woods - Hiding Places (one of the best rap albums of
>last decade IMO, masterpiece stuff)

I need to give this another listen before too long - not sure why, but I couldn't really get into it when it dropped last year.

-thebigfunk

3022063, The Plugs I Met is pretty much flawless if you’re in the mood for it
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-12-20 08:35 PM
Heard good things about that Billy Woods, but forgot about it. I’ll have to give that a listen.
3022364, good lookin out
Posted by Stadiq, Wed Feb-26-20 03:55 PM
>
>Skip Coon Miles Garvey (this is some really great political
>rap that seems to fall below most people's radar)

I've tried to intro people...Skip is crazy dope. Don't sleep on his older stuff too.

>Billy Woods - Hiding Places (one of the best rap albums of
>last decade IMO, masterpiece stuff)
>

Also an excellent pick. Woods' best, most accessible record imo. Kenny Segal is a mad scientist.

3022064, You made me realize I don’t know SHIT about anything but hip hop
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-12-20 08:37 PM
in terms of newer music. That’s why I made this post. Gotta expand my horizons. It’s hard keeping up with new music as an adult. I’m really trying hard not to become the guy who only listens to the music he grew up on. Appreciate the response, I’m about to do my googles.
3022115, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by jimaveli, Sun Feb-16-20 01:24 PM
There's lots of Unfade-able Frederick Gibbs in my gym mix. Lots of JayZ, Wu, Griselda, Curren$y, and Prodigy/Mobb stuff too.

I liked a lot of that 'last' Game album too. Just rock solid rap stuff even if we've heard it all before.

I randomly threw some E-40/Click/B-Legit stuff onto it recently too. I play it on random usually with grand results. Dusted and Disgusted, Million $ Spot, and The Bumble extended my workout just this morning. Dope ass beats. Good ass rapping.

Nas/Prodigy/Alc's Tick Tock came on right after and I was hella enthused. So yeah, old stuff.

>I’ve been almost exclusively Griselda and Justus League
>lately. Open for something new(which is why I made the post),
>but I tend to largely go all in on what I like.
>
>Mine:
>WestSide Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 7 - production on this is
>beautiful. Maybe the best produced album of ‘19?
>Conway the Machine - Everybody is Food 2 - It was the Khrysis
>beat that pointed me to this one, though I’ve liked
>everything I’ve heard from Conway. He never has a bad
>verse. This is solid as hell.
>Big Pooh - RPM - crazy underrated IMO. Pooh kills it with the
>one producer albums and while the Apollo Brown and Nottz
>albums got their proper credit, this one seemed to fly under
>the radar. Pooh and Focus killed it.
>Median - Median’s Relief. Throwback. How Big Is Your World
>is still one of my favorite songs ever made. I miss Median, I
>wish he’d drop another album.
3022166, Che Noir - Juno LP
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Feb-19-20 02:19 PM
...Best female MC in hip hop right now ..all produced by 38 Spesh ..very dope

3022365, IDK - IWASVERYBAD
Posted by Oak27, Wed Feb-26-20 04:01 PM
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
Denzel Curry - ZUU
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Rapsody - Laila's Wisdom
3022377, I gave Laila’s Wisdom a real listen last week on a road trip
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-26-20 09:17 PM
Great album!! I’d heard songs off it before but never sat with the whole thing and really listened. Glad I did.
3022433, Wish I could go back 8 yrs & tell myself to stop hating Rapsody for no reason
Posted by Oak27, Thu Feb-27-20 03:49 PM
I think it was mostly around the time I started being active on Twitter and made the mistake of following artists/celebs I liked not yet realizing following artists/celebrs whose work you're into is the worst thing you could do, because you realize you like their output but not their day to day thoughts. Anyway, 9th would tweet/promote Rapsody like every single day and it just turned me off of her without really giving her a real listen outside of a few songs that, while not bad, didn't warrant all the hype IMO.

Then last year I finally gave her a real listen, and Eve blew me away. Finally got around to checking out her other material and Laila's Wisdom is just as good. Those two are in my top 15, maybe even top 10 of the decade for sure.
3022440, I still don’t think I’ve heard all of Eve yet
Posted by DJR, Thu Feb-27-20 06:11 PM
Just random listens to a track or two at a time, here and there.

I should probably just give the whole thing a listen already.

And I feel you...9th tweeted nonstop about Eve when it was dropping, lol. I respect him for trying to help his artist blow up though - it can’t be easy to do in this environment. She seems to have really gotten over with this one.
3022366, some stuff I haven't seen discussed much
Posted by Stadiq, Wed Feb-26-20 04:10 PM
apologies if I missed something

- that new Finale record just might be his most solid. Seems to be slept on. Wish it were longer

https://finaledet313.bandcamp.com/album/62-limited-copies-cd-vinyl

- there was that small thread, but Mavi's Let the Sun Talk is phenomenal

https://mavi.bandcamp.com/releases

kind of in the Mavi lane-

- Lojii's Lo & Behold

https://lojii.bandcamp.com/album/lo-behold-2

- this Ovrkast is tremendous

https://itsovrkast.bandcamp.com/album/try-again

- Navy Blue has a new tape, even has a dope KA feat

https://navybluethetruest.bandcamp.com/album/d-irin

- Medhane has two new tapes out, he keeps getting better imo

https://medhane.bandcamp.com/album/full-circle

https://medhane.bandcamp.com/album/own-pace

- This AKAI SOLO dude is pretty dope so far, just discovered him recently. This Ibliss dude who did the beats on his Mad Space album is really tough imo

https://akaisolo.bandcamp.com/track/one-punch

-

And Paraffin STILL gets burn. Masterpiece.

Hyped for the new Milo/RAP Ferreira and the new Zeroh.

I know I'm forgetting stuff.

** edit

forgot Bullies

https://open.spotify.com/album/7IrYR0u0vYwYdngUdXn6KA

3022442, Alright, I’m back on Griselda - WWCD
Posted by DJR, Thu Feb-27-20 06:16 PM
Every time the weather gets grimy, I instinctively go for this one now. It just works. Still cut it off before Eminem’s verse though.

Also been giving regular spins to Skyzoo/9th Wonder - Cloud 9. Man. Love that album.

About to really give some time and energy to this Boldy James/Alchemist album. I like what I’ve heard so far.
3022481, Add-2 - Prey For the Poor
Posted by DJR, Fri Feb-28-20 09:46 PM
Wow!! I was missing out.

Lots of Khrysis/9th production, and he can really rap. I’m going to be on this one for awhile I think.
3022455, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by spidey, Fri Feb-28-20 01:45 AM
...still rocking that Sadiq from last year..."Jimmy Lee"...
3022487, I love Saadiq but still gotta check out this album.
Posted by Brew, Fri Feb-28-20 10:56 PM
It's pretty somber right ? I've put it off cuz I want to be in the proper mood for it but still haven't got around to it.
3022491, RE: I love Saadiq but still gotta check out this album.
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Feb-29-20 09:21 AM
>It's pretty somber right ? I've put it off cuz I want to be
>in the proper mood for it but still haven't got around to it.

It's definitely pretty dark and moody, especially for Saadiq, and most of the songs work best in the context of the full album - so it's a lot to take in. I really liked the record a lot but I only played it through a few times when it was released. I've kept it in shuffle though and when it shows up I increasingly let it play - there are some solid standalone cuts, too.

Actually, hold up - I think I need to get back to this album right now, lol.

-thebigfunk

3022581, RE: What’s in your rotation right now?
Posted by rare, Wed Mar-04-20 04:48 AM
No complete albums at the moment but mostly loose tracks

dvsn - a muse
koffee - w (ft. gunna)
and that new
dru hill - what you need.