Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13496775

Subject: "What's the biggest social change you've seen in your lifetime?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What's the biggest social change you've seen in your lifetime?"

I limit this to social change, because I think changes in technology immediately come to mind if I say the biggest change in general you've seen in your lifetime.

I was thinking about this topic today as I listened to a podcast about the Name Image and Likeness deals happening in college sports and just thought how adamantly opposed folks were to paying college athletes. Like it's a change that seems drastic and sudden but I guess has been in the work for decades.

The biggest change I think comes to mind for me though, is:

1. The complete unmasking of the Republican Party and Christian Right. Like in the 80s, they did a good job of fooling most Americans that they were about Christian Values and morality, but Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich have paved the way for Trump, and I think it's pretty clear it has always been a white supremacy power grab (at least for me its clear). These folks have no grounds to speak on any moral issue.

2. The whole music censorship debate. Like Prince songs were scandalous as a kid, and cops were shutting down NWA shows but that war seems pretty much over and now WAP is performed at the Grammys.

3. Advancement of Gay Rights. Seems like we were just debating gay marriage and it just seems so silly an issue now. This shows up so often as a huge cultural shift when you watch anything from the 80s, and they have all these cringy gay jokes.

4. I feel like interracial dating used to be a controversial idea, and now it's such a non-issue and norm; it's controversial for Dr. Umar to say Black Men should marry Black Women (at least controversial on Twitter)

5. Gambling. We've Gone from only legally gambling in Jersey & Vegas to my kids having online gambling accounts (well, it's game versions, but it's preying on them for when they turn 18). Similarly:

6. Legalization of Weed. I don't think I ever would have thought in the 90s we'd reach this form of legalization of weed we are seeing today.

Just a few things that immediately come to mind. What do you got?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Gay rights and how LGBTQ is celebrated and honored now
Jan 08th 2024
Same. Ricky and Lucy used to sleep in separate beds on TV. I just saw a
Jan 08th 2024
^^^ it went from the F-Word being commonplace
Jan 10th 2024
      yep pretty much.
Jan 12th 2024
School shootings
Jan 08th 2024
Great Post! End of Dating, Mental Health and Gen Z Fear
Jan 08th 2024
I have kids and trust me, these kids be outside at the playgrounds
Jan 09th 2024
The Internet
Jan 09th 2024
^^^ correct answer ^^^
Jan 09th 2024
Yeah that's why I didn't want to focus on tech.
Jan 09th 2024
      I struggled and couldn't think of anything else
Jan 10th 2024
           man, there was a guy in Philly who always had the newest phones
Jan 10th 2024
           lmao this was me. I had some shit called tzones for tmobile
Jan 10th 2024
one of those viral Gen Z employee videos was going around yesterday
Jan 09th 2024
Oooof. This part.
Jan 09th 2024
      I would have no career or future if I had social media at 16-25.
Jan 10th 2024
This was my answer and is probably the correct one for all of us...
Jan 17th 2024
Obviously, tech is a main reason FOR social change...but...
Jan 09th 2024
Obama said hell nah in 2008
Jan 09th 2024
      Right, exactly.
Jan 09th 2024
      I crack up at the "I've evolved" reason
Jan 09th 2024
           one of the best lies ever told to get elected
Jan 10th 2024
                You don't think we ALL evolved on this issue?
Jan 10th 2024
                     obama was big on meeting people where they are
Jan 10th 2024
                     Yea I think this is the proper framing.
Jan 10th 2024
                     I think many people never *had* to "evolve"
Jan 10th 2024
                     I just remembered the SNL sketch on Biden/palin
Jan 10th 2024
                     lol
Jan 10th 2024
                     lmao.. like Chapelle and Michael Jackson
Jan 10th 2024
                     So your father and grandfather didn't have half a brain?
Jan 10th 2024
                          Haha all very fair.
Jan 10th 2024
                     because he couldn’t win over middle america with gay marriage
Jan 10th 2024
                          even California voted in a gay marriage ban in 2008
Jan 10th 2024
                               I remember that
Jan 20th 2024
Gambling specifically, language/mockery more generally
Jan 09th 2024
People telling on themselves for clout / whore culture dubbed self emplo...
Jan 10th 2024
I'm surprised how pro-Palestine Gen Z is
Jan 10th 2024
Yeah this is a big one.
Jan 10th 2024
Disinformation floods their timeline
Jan 11th 2024
      Correct
Jan 17th 2024
normalization of mass death
Jan 17th 2024
Is this true ? Honest question.
Jan 17th 2024
sadly its true
Jan 17th 2024
      That's so fucking fucked.
Jan 17th 2024
           and retailers have walked back those claims of
Jan 17th 2024
                Right, and these corporations know this and ...
Jan 17th 2024
I think we've always ignored wars and genocide in other parts of the wor...
Jan 17th 2024

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Gay rights and how LGBTQ is celebrated and honored now"
In response to Reply # 0

were the first thing that came to my mindd

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16198 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 11:50 PM

4. "Same. Ricky and Lucy used to sleep in separate beds on TV. I just saw a "
In response to Reply # 1

Tinder commercial where two men kissed. We have come a looong way. Granted the Lucy show wasn't airing during my lifetime (just re-runs by the time I was born) but still ... a married hetero couple pretended to sleep in twin sized beds next to each other for TV.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32102 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 12:51 PM

23. "^^^ it went from the F-Word being commonplace"
In response to Reply # 1

to cringing when I hear it in old songs or movies now

this is the only answer imo

Cenario
59187 posts
Fri Jan-12-24 10:38 AM

37. "yep pretty much."
In response to Reply # 23

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13875 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 04:27 PM

2. "School shootings"
In response to Reply # 0

They’re treated like drive-bys in poor neighborhoods.
- there’s sadness and outrage but real change has not occurred.

Inability to act
- there use to be a time where if seeing a disparaging act against someone, it would automatically spark others to action or at least yell for help, but now people just record on their phones.

Middle-man in EVERYTHING
- most of the times it deals with visiting a site or app for any order.

Entitlement
- its not just for white folks anymore

Mori
Charter member
3529 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 10:38 PM

3. "Great Post! End of Dating, Mental Health and Gen Z Fear "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-08-24 10:38 PM by Mori

1) Dating is pretty much dead. People will be lucky if they can find a match. So many expectations, rules, choices and fears.

2) Mental Health is so prevalent. 1 in 4 people have a mental health issue. I am terrified of reacting to strangers because I have no idea how they might respond given the stats on mental instability in the U.S.

3) Gen Z is afraid of everything. Afraid to drive, be poor, have kids, war, toxins in food. Yet they are also the most likely to do some of the riskiest things I have ever heard of, like hike through Antartica. Lots of paradoxes with this generation.

4) Kids don't go outside. It is rare to see kids just playing in the neighborhood and having good ole fashioned fun.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79787 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 09:55 AM

6. "I have kids and trust me, these kids be outside at the playgrounds "
In response to Reply # 3

but its all supervised.

Parents everywhere, nit like in out days when we would play outside unsupervised for hours and hours.

I often wonder if in a town like I grew up in would I be okay with my daughters running outside like we used to do. When I go home, these kids still outside like we used to be skateboarding and chilling.

but I live right behind a city park. I can open my back gate to a playground, soccer field, basketball courts and softball field. There are always games and practices happenings over there so my view is skewed.

oh, and these latino’s be outside, outside. Soccer and birthday parties every weekend regardless of weather.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44621 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 09:07 AM

5. "The Internet"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
79787 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 11:40 AM

7. "^^^ correct answer ^^^"
In response to Reply # 5

that shit has changed everything.

if we unplugged that shit tomorrow the world would fucking end.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 11:54 AM

8. "Yeah that's why I didn't want to focus on tech. "
In response to Reply # 7

It's the clear answer which really all the other stuff stems from.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44621 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 06:58 AM

16. "I struggled and couldn't think of anything else "
In response to Reply # 8

It's so pervasive....

I recall the early to mid-aughts when I was heavy into tech and was on the first wave of smartphones.... i'm talking Windows Mobile joints that had full internet browsers and stuff... I would be at social functions feeling like a complete ostrich browsing my lil tiny ass screen (likely on OKP) while everyone else was interacting and doing normal human shit.

Fast forward to know....i'm still feeling like the odd man out because i've made a conscious effort to NOT be on my phone when in social settings...but of course that's pretty abnormal in many instances now...
Standing in line...i'm looking around at whatever is going on..
In the waiting room....i'm browsing what's left of the magazine collections on the table.
Waiting at the stoplight....I'm actually waiting for the light to change lol..

There's basically no real "social" anymore...

legsdiamond
79787 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 10:26 AM

17. "man, there was a guy in Philly who always had the newest phones"
In response to Reply # 16

and used to use it to easily pull girls at the bars and clubs

Cenario
59187 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 10:41 AM

19. "lmao this was me. I had some shit called tzones for tmobile"
In response to Reply # 16

i would be at a house party at 3am reading news stories and shit.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 01:46 PM

9. "one of those viral Gen Z employee videos was going around yesterday "
In response to Reply # 5

Im not on tiktok but it was a tiktok of a retail employee ranting about how hard it is working 40 hours a week and she can't afford to live in her own place and pay all her bills the way we could when we were her age (we couldn't afford our own place on a Walmart salary either back then, but..) and how our generation fucked everything up for her

I see these every once a while, like a Starbucks employee crying in his car how hard life is because he had to work a 9 hour shift

They generally get met with a few in support, but mostly dogpiles and quote tweets from older millenals and GenXers on how soft and entitled Gen Z is

And I'll admit to having initial reactions to these types of videos but mostly I try to think about all the goofy know-it-all opinions and complaints I had when I was 19 or 20 that just weren't put out there for the whole world to shit on

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43755 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 03:10 PM

14. "Oooof. This part. "
In response to Reply # 9

>And I'll admit to having initial reactions to these types of
>videos but mostly I try to think about all the goofy
>know-it-all opinions and complaints I had when I was 19 or 20
>that just weren't put out there for the whole world to shit
>on

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 12:30 PM

22. "I would have no career or future if I had social media at 16-25. "
In response to Reply # 14

Triptych
Charter member
30127 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 07:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
45. "This was my answer and is probably the correct one for all of us..."
In response to Reply # 5

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

Ryan M
43755 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 02:36 PM

10. "Obviously, tech is a main reason FOR social change...but..."
In response to Reply # 0

First thing that came to mind was LGBTQ rights, etc. We were voting on gay marriage 15 years ago, and now it seems so...obvious? It did then too, of course.

Weed - absolutely. It's funny to think that even a few years ago, it was still KINDA illegal. Now it's just another thing. Weed shops don't feel the least bit seedy anymore. I think it's great, overall. Wish there were more consumption lounges, though hasn't stopped a lot of people from imbibing before going in somewhere. Hell, I thought I had to wait for a security guard at the Forum on the smoking patio to go away before lighting a joint - he just said as long as it's outside they don't care.

Technology definitely made this happen...but it doesn't feel like movies, specifically (though you could make this argument for TV as well), don't have the cultural power they once did. They just don't stay around or impact culture at all anymore. Sure, once in a while you have some massive hit (Black Panther, etc) that has remnants of that...but it felt like you'd have movies like Superbad, Napoleon Dynamite, Old School, etc spawning all sorts of merch you couldn't escape, or even people quoting movie lines, etc. and that just doesn't happen anymore.

17x NBA Champions

legsdiamond
79787 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 02:44 PM

11. "Obama said hell nah in 2008"
In response to Reply # 10

then switched up in 2012.

Ryan M
43755 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 02:46 PM

12. "Right, exactly."
In response to Reply # 11

Like...the non-conservative option for president at that time didn't support gay marriage.

That's a fucking leap. Even if it took longer than it should have.

17x NBA Champions

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 02:51 PM

13. "I crack up at the "I've evolved" reason"
In response to Reply # 11

same with Hilary

some people evolved sure but he was always fine with it and waited till it was politically safe to admit it

legsdiamond
79787 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 10:27 AM

18. "one of the best lies ever told to get elected"
In response to Reply # 13

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 12:28 PM

21. "You don't think we ALL evolved on this issue?"
In response to Reply # 18

Why is it a lie?

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 01:39 PM

24. "obama was big on meeting people where they are "
In response to Reply # 21

but also i beleive there's videoo of him supporting it way before 08. someone posted it here once

also whenever he would get asked about it he would say the words "I beleive marriage is between a man and a woman" then basically go on about why gay couples should have every right as married couples. It's not a hill he was willing to die on, because he knew the public wasnt there yet. It was politically cautious and prob wise at the time, but it was still bullshit

>Why is it a lie?

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24480 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "Yea I think this is the proper framing."
In response to Reply # 24

>but also i beleive there's videoo of him supporting it way
>before 08. someone posted it here once
>
>also whenever he would get asked about it he would say the
>words "I beleive marriage is between a man and a woman" then
>basically go on about why gay couples should have every right
>as married couples. It's not a hill he was willing to die on,
>because he knew the public wasnt there yet. It was politically
>cautious and prob wise at the time, but it was still bullshit

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Brew
24480 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 01:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "I think many people never *had* to "evolve""
Wed Jan-10-24 01:43 PM by Brew

... of gay marriage in 2003.

I was arguing with my father and grandfather in support of gay marriage in 2003 when I was 18/19 years old.

I know you're speaking generally but I'd like to think that anyone with half a brain and a soul would've always been in support of gay marriage.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 01:55 PM

27. "I just remembered the SNL sketch on Biden/palin"
In response to Reply # 25

(Sudekis/Fey) when asked about gay marriage went something like

Biden - Look, gay couples should have every right as straight couples. There should be no distinction, let me repeat that, no distinction.

Moderator- so you support gay marriage

Biden - He'll no!

I watched the actual debate and don't remember it but I assume it was pretty similar minus the he'll no lol

I do think some people legitimately evolved , just not Obama and them

Brew
24480 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 02:01 PM

28. "lol"
In response to Reply # 27

>I do think some people legitimately evolved , just not Obama and them

I do too. But Buddy said "we all" not "some people," hence my response.

legsdiamond
79787 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 03:23 PM

30. "lmao.. like Chapelle and Michael Jackson"
In response to Reply # 27

DC: He made Thriller.. no way he raped them kids

Lawyer: so you would let your kid spend the night with MJ?

DC: Fuck No!

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 04:24 PM

31. "So your father and grandfather didn't have half a brain?"
In response to Reply # 25

You can have the pat on your back if you want it but the reason gay marriage is being discussed here is how far and how fast opinions changed on homosexuality in general.

If you are someone whose never made gay jokes, use the "F" word, or never had any negative opinion of homosexuality passed down to you, that's great but at the very least acknowledge that's rare for people of a certain age raised in the US.

>... of gay marriage in 2003.
>
>I was arguing with my father and grandfather in support of gay
>marriage in 2003 when I was 18/19 years old.
>
>I know you're speaking generally but I'd like to think that
>anyone with half a brain and a soul would've always been in
>support of gay marriage.

Brew
24480 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 04:29 PM

32. "Haha all very fair."
In response to Reply # 31
Wed Jan-10-24 04:31 PM by Brew

Nothing I can really argue with here. I concede. I can only say that your original point was about gay marriage specifically, but that's grasping at straws so again, I concede.

I wasn't looking for a pat on the back for the record just using my own experience to counter what you originally said about "all of us." But I definitely made gay jokes and used the F word in the past, so you right.

legsdiamond
79787 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 03:20 PM

29. "because he couldn’t win over middle america with gay marriage"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 05:06 PM

34. "even California voted in a gay marriage ban in 2008"
In response to Reply # 29

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13875 posts
Sat Jan-20-24 01:35 AM

47. "I remember that"
In response to Reply # 34

Then racist gay whites went nuts on youtube and sloppy joe negroes backed them up.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15316 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 10:22 PM

15. "Gambling specifically, language/mockery more generally"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-09-24 10:27 PM by Nodima

The first is pretty obvious if you engage with sports at all. ESPN has a gambling hub that's not just "expertise" but actual gambling. And I hear all kinds of gambling talk in places and/or from people I'd never associate with gambling.

As an addict in other forms, I'm very curious what it all looks and sounds like ten years on. Substance addictions are rooted in a pretty explicit loss/gain transaction, which obviously doesn't benefit millions and millions of people at all but at the point of sale there's no mystery to it.

Gambling isn't just a sedative or a high, it's a fantasy choose your own adventure that never runs out of chapters, and whether it's you or your co-worker or whoever that gets the good ending just enough to outweigh the bad, the more ubiquitous it is the more...what, cowardly or even just boring it can feel to tap out.

I'm pretty grateful I spent my gambling days convinced I could nail a couple NBA money line parlays a week, only to watch them almost never pan out and get over it fairly quickly.

--------

As for the language thing, it dips into other aspects of culture as well. One of the more remarkable lines from the Jennifer Lawrence comedy "No Hard Feelings" is when she's looking for a friend at a high school party and screams "doesn't anybody fuck anymore?!" But I don't want to go on about this one for too long because I'm honestly lost at sea here. (Edit: Since I wound up making the mistake of going on and on anyway, that bit stood out to me because of reactions to things like the Oppenheimer sex scene, which was definitely awkward but by all accounts intentionally. But I also re-watched Booty Call recently, and it's definitely remarkable how sexless most sex comedies are, let alone everything else.)

If this demands a list of credentials, they are: all the ones (most?) OKPs want. But I increasingly can't stand the culture war from either direction. I get that everybody wants to be seen and respected for who they are, while more importantly recognize I'm exactly the stereotype of the guy that'd stand on a soapbox and ask for a little grace when I accidentally use a term some community I'm not a part of decided was linguistic agent orange.

I meant to say initially that I don't see the benefit of discussing this as much because more than anything as insufferable as EYE sometimes find it, this shift is clearly benefiting far, far more people than not. Even in so-called "safe spaces" full of other '90s white guys from the Midwest, it's significant how much "well-meaning"/"innocent" remarks get frozen out or straight up rebuked these days. So again, I'm hoping not to frame this as a grievance, 'cause I'm not the one to begin with.

I've just found myself over the holiday season listening to the old Patrice O'Neal "Black Phillip" broadcasts, as well as random Bodega Boys and Cumtown clips...which the latter two are pretty contemporaneous but GODDAMN were they impossible to recommend to most people in their early years...and feeling a little bad for laughing so hard. I dunno.

I really just wanted to point at the second one and say "culturally, this is significantly different." But I blabbered on as usual, and I guess I'll take the dismantling if it's due. So long as we agree identity and gender language has shifted MIGHTILY, I've got no line in the sand. Those shows, for better or worse, have just had me reflecting on it all, specifically how intensely I'm enjoying privately what I'd just as eagerly call out publicly.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 12:26 PM

20. "People telling on themselves for clout / whore culture dubbed self emplo..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://instagram.com/schemeofthings

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 04:33 PM

33. "I'm surprised how pro-Palestine Gen Z is"
In response to Reply # 0

when I was growing up, no one cared except other muslims (or leftist, academic types).

Socialism was also demonized. As in, if you were a politician, it was like you weren't even allowed to say the word--unless it was to shit on it. Now we have people talking about Universal Basic Income and just being more pro-labor in general.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Wed Jan-10-24 05:16 PM

35. "Yeah this is a big one. "
In response to Reply # 33

SOmeone else said it online but the Baby Boomers and their parents the Holocaust was part of their living memory so they give/gave lots of leeway to how Israelis run that part of the world. It has Biden saying dumb shit like "No Jewish Person is safe in the world if Israel is threatened" or something like that recently.

But the Holocaust is really a distant history lesson for Gen Z and what they see is colonialism and an occupied apartheid state (not without good reason).

I think Israel is going to mess around and win the battle and lose the war by removing all the Palestinians from Gaza and the West Bank and will get to claim all that land but be surrounded by enemies who will blame them for a genocide. Not a good place to be over a long period (talking in terms of centuries) of time.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32102 posts
Thu Jan-11-24 09:11 AM

36. "Disinformation floods their timeline "
In response to Reply # 33

They are susceptible to believing everything they see online as the boomers they make fun of. Its clear they weren’t raised to be skeptical and use the Internet as merely a tool the way millenials were.

It feels at times like both generations brains have been scrambled by social media

makaveli
Charter member
16321 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 04:45 PM

43. "Correct "
In response to Reply # 36

but to be fair everyone is susceptible to misinformation/disinformation. Even when you are aware.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

sevencents
Charter member
1860 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 03:38 PM

38. "normalization of mass death"
In response to Reply # 0

seeing folks either ignore or shrug to millions dead, hundreds of millions permanently disabled by an ONGOING pandemic....

...now we see a lot of that same apathy for an ONGOING genocide and war crimes...one that US is directly responsible for.

same way 2020 protests against policing resulted in Biden calling to 'fund fund fund police' and liberals pretend he's an upgrade to Trump....now we have records for highest police budgets ever and a record number of civilians killed by kops.

but as long as some level of status quo can be maintained, and global supply chains are operational and those amazon purchases come thru, most people will just keep it moving and ignore the downfall of empathy in this late-stage capitalist hellscape.

normalizing mass death, more policing, and eugenics.
perfect breeding ground for fascism.

setting a dangerous precedent for what comes next.

Brew
24480 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 03:47 PM

39. "Is this true ? Honest question."
In response to Reply # 38
Wed Jan-17-24 03:47 PM by Brew

>and a record number of civilians killed by kops.

Like .. last year, we set a record ? Or are you referencing like the past few years/decades more generally ?

sevencents
Charter member
1860 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 04:08 PM

40. "sadly its true"
In response to Reply # 39

and the fact its not more alarming, says a lot about where we are and where we're headed.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/08/2023-us-police-violence-increase-record-deadliest-year-decade

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/cops-killed-more-people-in-2023-than-in-years/

instead of any defunding or reform....we got record budget for police and the pentagon for more wars! no accountability.

here in NYC, libraries, schools and public services are all being slashed...NYPD's 12+ billion a year goes untouched.

I don't want to see Trump as president....but I am terrified of what another 4 years of Neo-liberal Biden and mass apathy will bring.

Trump broke so many people's brains, that we just got a lot of repackaged policies under Biden, and somehow it became more palatable....Biden has been far worse with international conflicts.

Brew
24480 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 04:16 PM

41. "That's so fucking fucked."
In response to Reply # 40
Wed Jan-17-24 04:16 PM by Brew

>and the fact its not more alarming, says a lot about where we
>are and where we're headed.
>
>https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/08/2023-us-police-violence-increase-record-deadliest-year-decade
>
>https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/cops-killed-more-people-in-2023-than-in-years/

It'd (hopefully) be alarming if anyone would report on it. But instead we got a year and half of news about "retail theft" and whateverthefuck. So disheartening.

>instead of any defunding or reform....we got record budget for
>police and the pentagon for more wars! no accountability.
>
>here in NYC, libraries, schools and public services are all
>being slashed...NYPD's 12+ billion a year goes untouched.
>
>I don't want to see Trump as president....but I am terrified
>of what another 4 years of Neo-liberal Biden and mass apathy
>will bring.
>
>Trump broke so many people's brains, that we just got a lot
>of repackaged policies under Biden, and somehow it became
>more palatable....Biden has been far worse with international
>conflicts.

Totally.

sevencents
Charter member
1860 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 04:38 PM

42. "and retailers have walked back those claims of "
In response to Reply # 41

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/08/business/organized-shoplifting-retail-crime-theft-retraction.html

the big headlines get all the attention, the retractions or follow-ups tend to get buried or ignored....so the initial narrative that there was a major spike in crime and theft is engrained in people's minds. it gives justification to more police.

Same way we've been told that Covid is like the 'flu' and to wash your hands..... when in reality, it's more like HIV, and folks should be wearing masks.

There is little to no conversation about how Biden's immigration policies are even more cruel than Trump...or that he offered more off-shore drilling permits than Trump.

dismantling the mainstream narrative is bad for business...professional managerial class will do anything to maintain status quo.

the personal apathy and levels of hyper-individualism is a biproduct of capitalism...it takes the energy and resources from communal care and collective action.

even the conversation and mood on these boards has me depressed. Very little talk or mention of the GENOCIDE going on. I posted a music video from Palestine and mentioned the levels of empathy on this site....a mod told me to stop posting 'bullshit', deleted the post and suspended me for several days.

we are fucked...but it doesn't have to be this way.

Brew
24480 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 04:46 PM

44. "Right, and these corporations know this and ..."
In response to Reply # 42
Wed Jan-17-24 04:46 PM by Brew

>https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/08/business/organized-shoplifting-retail-crime-theft-retraction.html
>
>the big headlines get all the attention, the retractions or
>follow-ups tend to get buried or ignored....so the initial
>narrative that there was a major spike in crime and theft is
>engrained in people's minds. it gives justification to more
>police.

... use these tactics to set the narratives. Media more than happy to play along.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 07:15 PM

46. "I think we've always ignored wars and genocide in other parts of the wor..."
In response to Reply # 38
Wed Jan-17-24 07:17 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

I think you would be hard press to find people who can remember or tell you anything about the year or number of casualties from many of the global conflicts from the 90s like Eritrean–Ethiopian War, Sierra Leone Civil War, Bosnian War, wars in the Congo, Burundian Civil War,Algerian Civil War or any of the other many global going on then.

Shoot you would be even more hardpress to find people who were aware of the global conflicts going on right now that aren't Israel-Palestine and Ukraine-Russia.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13496775 Previous topic | Next topic