Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #19083

Subject: "Review of A.I." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
jsmooth995
Charter member
2752 posts
Wed Jun-27-01 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Review of A.I."

My friend went to the premiere of Spielberg's AI last night, and wrote up an very long and detailed review (I'm sure you can tell he's a film student ) ...here it goes:

***there are some minor spoilers towards the end***

-----------------
I got incredibly lucky and got into the NY Premiere of AI last night at the Ziegfield. When Stanley Kubrick died in 1999, my very first thought was that we'll never see AI and that was a great loss. (Of course, I was upset for other more important reasons too - Kubrick's genius blessed us with a remarkable oeuvre that continues to inspire, provoke, frustrate, anger, and move. If you can get a hold of his Napoleon script, you'll no doubt mourn the fact that we'll never see that film. If someone has a copy of the Aryan Papers script based on Wartime Lies, please let me know!) Some would argue that we still haven't seen AI and never will since Kubrick didn't make this film. True, we'll never know what kind of film Stanley Kubrick's AI would have been.

However, we do have Steven Spielberg's AI, and it turns out to be a pretty extraordinary thing. It's hard to imagine two sensibilities more disparate and distinct, so the very idea of Kubrick and Spielberg collaborating made this a must-see event if only for curiosity's sake. If we can believe reports from Brian Aldiss (the sci-fi author of the short story "Super Toys Last All Summer Long" upon which AI is based), AI was always intended to be a blockbuster film for mass audiences. Allegedly, Kubrick wanted a fable based on the Pinocchio story that would appeal to a wide audience, but would also maintain his reputation for creating thought-provoking and socially significant work. We've also heard stories of Kubrick giving the project to Spielberg. I admit I was skeptical about the truth of these stories. I found it hard to fathom an artist as obsessive as Kubrick voluntarily handing over a labor of love he had been working on for twenty years. However, after seeing the film, I can see the logic.

This is a fable filtered through the eyes of a child, which is definitely quintessential Spielberg territory. The story reflects Kubrick's skepticism about human nature and takes dark, disturbing twists. But the core of the film - a child's yearning for love- is decidedly Spielbergian. Kubrick was stereotyped as a cold analytical filmmaker who was more concerned with the head than the heart. Spielberg is known for his warm, more openly emotional (some would contend sentimental and manipulative) filmmaking style. This movie engages both your emotions and your brain. You'll be moved, but you'll be thinking about your own emotions as well as the themes of the film.

I'm still thinking about it, and not able to completely articulate my feelings about the film. I just know that I was enthralled, fascinated, and moved throughout. As I watched, I thought about the filmmakers' past work such as ET, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Empire of the Sun, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut. But I was also thinking about Hitchcock's Vertigo, Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, the work of Franz Kafka, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Adamand Eve, Galatea, and creation myths in general.

That being said, this is a movie that will defy your expectations whatever they may be. AI achieves the very essence of the uncanny - it makes the strange familiar and the familiar strange. Part of Kubrick's brilliance lay in his ability to alter the form and create films that seemed to re-invent themselves while you watched them. 2001, Barry Lyndon, and Full Metal Jacket avoided traditional three-act structure and turned narrative conventions inside out. As a result, it's impossible to have a definitive first-viewing reaction. Those films all demanded multiple viewings over time for their meaning and resonance to unfold. AI is no exception. Viewers will no doubt leave confused, frustrated, and unsure. Just as you think you know the shape of the film, the narrative changes direction and shifts into a wildly different tone.

AI asks us to examine the nature of love and artifice. Is something less valid or truthful because it's not "real"? Is something organic and "natural" necessarily superior to something manufactured and mechanical? Does it matter where love comes from - even if it's an illusion? Does love inevitably make us selfish, jealous, and possessive? Can love exist without hate? These are all profound questions the film forces us to ask ourselves. Since no film could possibly provide definitive answers, some audiences will feel frustrated by the lack of closure.

Spielberg's great achievement is in making familiar childhood tropes fresh as if seen for the first time. The film plays like a waking dream - a child's journey from the safe comfort of family life into the danger and anxiety of the adult world. Except, this time the world of children isn't necessarily innocent and pure. David, the "mecha" protagonist played by the preternaturally artless Haley Joel Osment (whose performance holds the film together and is even more impressive than his turn in the Sixth Sense), initially comes across a bit creepy to his human parents in the film. And the real children he interacts with (the parents' biological son Martin and Martin's friends) are just as selfish, petty, duplicitous, and cruel as the other human beings in the movie.

The adult world of "Flesh Fairs" and neon-lit cities of sin are both dazzling and terrifying. Jude Law's Gigolo Joe introduces the concept of sexuality and pleasure divorced from love. Our perceptions are altered and challenged just like David's as journey movesfrom one phase to another.

On a technical formal level, the film is exceptional in every way. Spielberg and his DP, Janusz Kaminski employ a rigorous mis-en-scene inspired by Kubrick mixed with Spielberg's own hallmark usage of warm lighting. The result is an initial detachment from the emotional content of the story that ultimately becomes extremely resonant. We're pulled away from reacting immediately to intense primary emotions because Spielberg wants us to consider our own emotional responses anew the way David is discovering them for the first time. Rick Carter's production design imaginatively extrapolates the worlds of Blade Runner, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and the Korova Milk Bar from A Clockwork Orange. Stan Winston and his studio have created some marvelous robotic creatures (including my favorite supporting character - a walking, talking teddy bear that also happens to be the most reasonable, parental figure in the film). And the special effects led (created by Michael Lantieri, Dennis Muren and their teams) break startling new ground.

But it's primary emotions and profound questions about the nature of humanity that make AI resonate. None of this would matter if Spielberg hadn't created an intensely personal experience. Nor would anything work without the astonishing performance of Haley Joel Osment. He's in almost every frame for almost two and half-hours & nails every emotional note precisely. He's able to convincingly express both the mechanical and human aspects of his characters. Ultimately, we begin to question the mechanics of our own humanity.

AI's ending is its most problematic aspect. Like Beethoven's 5th Symphony, the film appears to end about four different times, but then continues somewhat uneasily. These structural lumps will have people arguing about whether Kubrick's original vision was compromised or Spielberg couldn't make up his mind about how darkly to end the film. But after some thought, (I won't reveal the ending) the ending is the most logical way to complete the narrative through-line. Furthermore, the "happiness" of the ending is actually quite sad and bittersweet. My other big complaint is that Spielberg's screenplay explicitly spells out themes that Kubrick would have just suggested through sound and vision (a la the end of the 2001). Near the end, he resorts to having a character explaining some of the metaphysical mystery to both David and the audience in awkward dialogue. But it's hard to nit-pick when the resulting film is so rich and rewarding.

Spielberg restores a genuine sense of wonder and awe to the movies. This isn't empty spectacle or crowd-pleasing pabulum. Like the greatest pop art, AI shows us something that we didn't know existed and gives us something we didn't know we wanted.
----------------
-----------
------
----
--
-

Jay Smooth
WBAI 99.5 FM in NY
http://www.hiphopmusic.com

http://www.illdoctrine.com - where hip-hop vlogs?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Review of A.I.
Jun 27th 2001
Jun 27th 2001
nicely written.
Jun 27th 2001
Thanks J
Jun 28th 2001
Jun 29th 2001
I want the TEDDY!!!!!
Jun 30th 2001
Review of the review : well written
Jun 30th 2001
I wish Kubrick was alive
Jun 30th 2001
JESSEWA
Jun 30th 2001
Very Good Movie
Jun 30th 2001
fucking ill
Jun 30th 2001
Chris Rock
Jun 30th 2001
Hell yeah,
DirtyStarshine
Jun 30th 2001
I really liked it.
Jun 30th 2001
Spielberg, wtf?
Jun 30th 2001
they were not aliens
JESSEWA
Jul 01st 2001
      A.I.: mixed emotions
Jul 01st 2001
      "the I wanna be a real boy thing"
Jul 02nd 2001
           RE: "the I wanna be a real boy thing"
Jul 04th 2001
      RE: they were not aliens
Jul 01st 2001
Jul 02nd 2001
Jul 02nd 2001
Jul 02nd 2001
      they WEREN'T aliens
Jul 02nd 2001
           RE: they WEREN'T aliens
Jul 03rd 2001
Jul 04th 2001
Jul 04th 2001
                THEY WERE MECHA!!!!
Jul 04th 2001
David Denby's review
Jul 01st 2001
RE: The movie was beautiful
Jul 02nd 2001
Question
Jul 02nd 2001
RE: Question
Jul 02nd 2001
RE: Question
Jul 02nd 2001
Hye
Jul 02nd 2001
RE: Hye
Jul 02nd 2001
here you go.
Jul 02nd 2001
RE: Hye
Jul 02nd 2001
I protest this movie!
Jul 02nd 2001
hmm...
Jul 02nd 2001
      I heard something simular
Jul 02nd 2001
      well...
Jul 02nd 2001
           It wouldda sucked harder
Jul 02nd 2001
           something else
Jul 03rd 2001
                RE: something else
Jul 03rd 2001
           perhaps
Jul 02nd 2001
Jul 02nd 2001
according to that article way at the top
Jul 02nd 2001
this movie sucked.
Jul 02nd 2001
it's/its
Jul 02nd 2001
collaboration?
Jul 02nd 2001
RE: collaboration?
Utica_Ave
Jul 05th 2001
They weren't aliens..........
Jul 02nd 2001
AND.............
Jul 02nd 2001
      Aliens vs Machines
Jul 03rd 2001
Jul 03rd 2001
ArRrRrRrRrRrRGgGh!!!
Jul 04th 2001
RE: ArRrRrRrRrRrRGgGh!!!
Jul 05th 2001
Jul 05th 2001
RE: Review of A.I. (from the writer of the review)
xraymonkey
Jul 05th 2001
RE: Review of A.I. (from the writer of the review)
xraymonkey
Jul 05th 2001

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Wed Jun-27-01 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Review of A.I."
In response to Reply # 0

Great review. I look forward to checking this film out.

For Spielberg's side of how he and Kubrick got together, check out this LA Time article on how they collaborated. Based on what he has to tell about Kubrick, the man doesn't seem to take himself as seriously as his fans, critics and the media does. What he does seem to take serously, almost to an obcessive level, is the art of film making.

http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Sneaks-X!ArticleDetail-31641,00.html

Later...
Kwesi K.

Restlesspoet
Charter member
448 posts
Wed Jun-27-01 06:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Review of A.I."
In response to Reply # 0

I havent read a review this thorough in I don't know when. Your friend has skills. What paper is this from?

sandata
Charter member
647 posts
Wed Jun-27-01 10:34 PM

3. "nicely written."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm hyped to see AI now...

\\ SANDATA \\
]email: drylongsowhat@yahoo.com
]aim: wisedumb
]go here: http://www.youthec.org
And have a nice day.
..h e l l o..
{-/+}
-The Coup
can also be used to chop people's
heads off dpending on your intentions.

Re_Alief
Charter member
1314 posts
Thu Jun-28-01 06:59 AM

4. "Thanks J"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm gonna see the 1st showing this Friday -- I'm actually pretty amped yo!!!

Peace2U,
®é Alief ~~~> part-time poster
alief@scribble.nu

"it feels good to feel good" - Sugah

http://Members.BlackPlanet.com/SukiSuli/

C.M Famalam radio program
(89.9fm/cucumberslice.com 1-5am est.)

http://hiphopmusic.com/index2.html

http:/www.TankGreen.com

Why is it that most nudists are people you
don't want to see naked? •
taken from an annoying email forward

http://www.blackbutterfly.net/everclear

http://www.recordking.com

Peace2U

Keiko
Charter member
986 posts
Fri Jun-29-01 11:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. ""
In response to Reply # 0

"Baseball is the belly-button of our society" - Bill Lee

t510
Charter member
100002 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 05:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I want the TEDDY!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

please, someone buy me a teddy

might find ya man dead in the ocean. he be aight though, u know dead rappers get better promotion-jadakiss

TheloniousKrunk
Charter member
779 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 07:42 AM

7. "Review of the review : well written"
In response to Reply # 0

Review of the movie : I'll be back when i can invent a word bad enough to describe how much I hated it.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 10:54 AM

8. "I wish Kubrick was alive"
In response to Reply # 0

This was a humanoid E.T.! The movie was formulaic Speilberg with only a sprinkling of the cerebral content I think Stanely Kubrick would have injected into it. There are all kinds of directions this film could have gone in and this was just one, albeit a emotional and physical one.

Don't get me wrong. I like some Speilberg movies but this almost became the kind of mushy sentimentality that caters to white sensibilities that I expect from this filmmaker. I thought it was fine technically but now I have to go see Singleton's "Baby Boy" to balance my entertainment experience out.

People were crying at the end and it reminded me of going to see E.T. when I was a little kid. I didn't understand what was so emotional about the movie. It was just a movie. I wanted to shout "It isn't real!" and advise these sniffling moviegoers to find the "Blue Fairy" to find movie about real issues like how artificial intelligence is human kind's way of trying to be God or another way for humans to disconnect from self, soul, and spirit. Perhaps Kubrick would have addressed these issues but he's long gone and I am left with a sickly feeling after seeing A.I.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

JESSEWA

Sat Jun-30-01 12:58 PM

9. "RE: Review of A.I."
In response to Reply # 0

the review was on point.
haley joel osmont did an outstanding job acting.
i wouldnt have had it end any other way.
i felt very comforted after i left the theatre.
great movie.

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 02:44 PM

11. "Very Good Movie"
In response to Reply # 9

A lil' melodramatic but a good technical film. To me this is the movie George Lucas wanted to make with Phantom Menace. Osmet is incredible I hope he avoids the "child actor curse", he's really talented.Jude Law was also great as Gigalo Joe, very funny. The one character who stole the show though was TEDDY! Damn what a great character he was basically Jiminy Cricket to Osmet's Pinochio.

Speilberg did his thing. He's one of the few directors that knows how to use sfx as an accoutrement and not centerpiece for a movie. The Effects were amazing. The cinematography was excellent and the visuals were stunning. Unlike Phantom Menaces' Courascant A.I.'s Rouge city had weight and personality.

Overall its was a good movie. Like I said earlier a lil' melodramtic (a better script would have helped) and the sentimental stuff was real heavy handed but not nauseating. "SPOILER". The best scene to me had to be when David fell in to the sea and the reflection cast in Joe's face made it look like a tear. That was BRILLIANT! Definately worth checking out.

-Post killer since 99

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 02:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "fucking ill"
In response to Reply # 0

jus saw it the second time, this time sober and awake, and it's surreal. Croughing Tiger, Hidden Dragon surreal, I'm still trying to shake my mind back in to consiousness (and I doubt the Prince blaring outta my earphones is helping).

I thought that the plot was a darker, more realistic version of D.A.R.Y.L/Bicentennial Man. Thought provoking and somehow human and inhuman at the same time. I felt how his love was all incompassing and in a childish/phychotic type way.

Visually it was astonding and the way they made the Mecha's look was ill. I felt the way they Jude Law portrayed his charather showing that he wasn't as advanced as the kid but at the same time wasn't shallow and would show it from time to time. Oh the bear was ill but a little farther from comprehesion then the rest of the charaters because of his maturity in certain situations. I also felt the ideal of one day, that shit was mind boggoling to me because I was wondering who would I pick out of everyone.

I give it a 9 overall.

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

notnac
Charter member
1607 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 04:45 PM

12. "Chris Rock"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it just me, or did he have a cameo?

DirtyStarshine

Sat Jun-30-01 07:46 PM

13. "Hell yeah,"
In response to Reply # 12

I thought that was him too!
That mecha looked, talked, and acted just like Chris Rock.
He was the first Mecha to be killed during the Flesh Fair scene.

Very good movie by the way.

Sveiks
Charter member
795 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 08:10 PM

14. "I really liked it."
In response to Reply # 0

I came out of AI feeling strangely like I felt after listening to "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" for the first times. I know I enjoyed it. I know it was really good. I know it was different. But I know it hasn't really sunk in yet.
Speaking of Radiohead though, the beings in the future scene looked remarkably like the beings in the "Pyramid Song" video. Strange.

The ending was a little hokey, though. I saw it at the famed Uptown in DC, and at least half of the audience broke out into laughter at the Blue Fairy scene at the end...not exactly what Spielberg intended.

----------------------------
"This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey."
--Rickey Henderson in a message left on the answering machine of Padres general manager Kevin Towers

---------------------------
"Gobble this obelisk" MC Paul Barman

---------------------------
"MC Paul Barman is the Jay-Z of rap."-Michael Jordan

--------------------
What I've been listening to...
Gorillaz
Radiohead -- "Amnesiac"
Handsome Boy Modeling School
Travis -- "The Invisible Band"

------------------------------
"They'll never catch me man -- Cause I'm fuckin' innocent." -- Dignan

-----------------------------

AB
Charter member
446 posts
Sat Jun-30-01 10:01 PM

15. "Spielberg, wtf?"
In response to Reply # 0

I came to this post expecting totally different opinions of this movie than what I am seeing. Here are my thoughts:

The first half of "AI" stirred emotions in me I never believed a movie could. I was extremely frightened at points, and almost cried at others. In fact, I can say this section of the movie was on par with some of the best movies I have ever seen.

Now let me describe how I feel about the second half of the movie....

I sat in my chair for fourty-five minutes without moving or saying a word. I couldn't BELIEVE what I was seeing on the screen. In fact, the most confusing moment of my entire life occured while watching the second half of "AI." So as not to ruin the plot for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, I'll just refer to this moment as "the flying cube scene." WHY?! Who allowed for the second half of the movie to remain in the screenplay? I realize Speilberg is highly respected in the industry, but if someone had destroyed the film containing the second half of the movie before it hit the theaters, we would live in a much better world.

Major gripes (those of you who have seen the movie will know what I'm talking about):

-Aliens?
-Space-time continuum?
-One day? How stupidly convenient. I mean, can't they just do it over and over every day?
-If the professor and his team wanted him so badly, wouldn't you exepect them to search for him after he jumped off? It wouldn't have been that difficult to bring him back to the surface...
-Aliens?

On a positive note, while I always underestimate Osmont's performances, he managed to impress and move me with this one. Well done, kid. Also, even though I hear the mother's character was slightly different in the Kubric version, I was also impressed by her performance (what's the name of the actress?).

My advice - See this movie, but leave after the first hour and fifteen minutes. PLEASE!

-AB

JESSEWA

Sun Jul-01-01 04:38 AM

16. "they were not aliens"
In response to Reply # 15

after the ice age wiped out all the humans, the mechas probably survived it. those 'aliens' are the evolution of mecha after 2000 years. i thought they were cool. the second half was fulfilling the movies role as a fairy tale. i liked that.

sblmnlmsg
Charter member
151 posts
Sun Jul-01-01 06:06 AM

17. "A.I.: mixed emotions"
In response to Reply # 16

I had mixed emotions about the movie. I felt the same way at first; like it was about to be sad and yet compelling the way Gattaca was (side point: Jude Law is the man). But then, as the movie started to progress, the whole pinohchio (sp?)/wizard of oz thing started to annoy me. I loved the cinematography, the Blade Runner-type mood, and generally speaking, the acting. But dammit, I got tired of the "I wanna be a real boy" gig. It just took away the seriousness that I expected from it. I agree with the review that it probably takes more than one viewing to take in everything the movie tries to address, but I guess at some point, the movie lost me, like how Jar-Jar undermined Star Wars...

"It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating. "
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:39 AM

36. ""the I wanna be a real boy thing""
In response to Reply # 17

was based on the ideal presented earlier in the movie that a mecha's love would be undying, thus the reason that they would have to be destroyed. Why would he get tired of a feeling or idea? he's not a human.

oh those where mechas at the end and it made sense that they could have no recorded history because besides mecha history why would their predesessors feel the need to continue.

I also felt the "one day" part because it showed that he could comprehend how special a moment could be.

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

sblmnlmsg
Charter member
151 posts
Wed Jul-04-01 11:36 AM

52. "RE: "the I wanna be a real boy thing""
In response to Reply # 36

Why would he
>get tired of a feeling
>or idea? he's not
>a human.

I said I got tired of the idea after a while, not David. My point is watching a tug-of-war between the ultimate grown-up movie maker and the ultimate kiddie movie maker started to get beyond dazzling and into just plain boring. The movie didn't present itself as disturbing anymore, and it lost my attention. Just my opinion. I'm sure I'll see it again, because I'm sure there is much i missed...

"It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating. "
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Sun Jul-01-01 06:36 AM

18. "RE: they were not aliens"

Disagree. If they were Mecha how come they didn't have in recorded history of the past? David did, why wouldn't they? They told David he was the human races crowning achievement, but if they were Mecha wouldn't they be that achievement? I'm pretty sure they were aliens.

-Post killer since 99

hypolyre
Charter member
36 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 07:51 AM

24. "RE: they were not aliens"
In response to Reply # 18

>Disagree. If they were Mecha how
>come they didn't have in
>recorded history of the past?
>David did, why wouldn't they?
>They told David he was
>the human races crowning achievement,
>but if they were Mecha
>wouldn't they be that achievement?
>I'm pretty sure they were
>aliens.

while I do agree they were aliens, is it that farfetched to think of them as an extension of the mecha line only without a recognized recorded history of their ancestry? after all, humans didnt recognize until relatively recently, and still continue to this day to question, our evolution from chimps and apes?
if 2,000 years had passed and only a particular subset of the mecha line could survive the ice age (whether through space travel, but necessarily through adaptation) is it that impossible that they would disavow ancestry from this "primitive" mecha and be presented as a separate species just as we had done with our ancestry?

your's truly,
Devil's advocate

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 08:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
25. "RE: they were not aliens"
In response to Reply # 24

I read that they were Mechas, that continually got so intelligent, they could adapt, repair and evolve on their own.

"...all these emcees hollarin', they lactose intolerant, they can't touch the cheese"-Beanie Siegel

"I'm like the Gooch, lookin for Arnold Drummond
Walkin with a trenchcoat to part the pump in"-Redman

"I'm like Malcolm with just the X, these bitches think they in love, but it's just the X"-Noreaga

"I'm overwhelmed, as my mind, roams the realm
My eye's the vision, memory is the film"-Killah Priest

"It's Freeway, not Elway, no relation, but I ball like him with a game like him..."-Freeway

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:46 AM

37. "RE: they were not aliens"
In response to Reply # 24

>
>while I do agree they were
>aliens, is it that farfetched
>to think of them as
>an extension of the mecha
>line only without a recognized
>recorded history of their ancestry?
>after all, humans didnt recognize
>until relatively recently, and still
>continue to this day to
>question, our evolution from chimps
>and apes?
>if 2,000 years had passed and
>only a particular subset of
>the mecha line could survive
>the ice age (whether through
>space travel, but necessarily through
>adaptation) is it that impossible
>that they would disavow ancestry
>from this "primitive" mecha and
>be presented as a separate
>species just as we had
>done with our ancestry?

I'll concede to your logic but you'll have to admit theres a difference from organic evolution and mechanical evolution. Machine are a lot less fallable when it comes to the retention of data. I'm getting off on a nerd tangent here so I'll stop.

>your's truly,
>Devil's advocate

I see, I see.
>
>__________________________________________________

-Post killer since 99

Eccentric
Charter member
3293 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 09:14 PM

43. "they WEREN'T aliens"
In response to Reply # 18

The father-figure-like robot referred to humans as their creators and called them geniuses.

ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"
Debut album from one of Erykah Badu's background singers(she's the chick wearing yellow in the "Bag Lady" video).
with beats by Eccentric and guest appearances by Taygravy.
TRUST ME Y'ALL THIS SHIT IS SICKENING!!!!!!
Out NOW!! http://www.keomusic.com

2.Phonte-"Semi-Conscious"
Coming August 2001 on KEO Music Recordings.... (okp taygravy)

3.U.S.-"The Story of U.S."
The critically acclaimed comedy CD
Rated @@@@1/2 by Vivrant
Available on Napster or for the low, low price of $10
Send mail order info to taygravy@hotmail.com

4. U.S. - "Paper In My Pocket"
Summer 2001
featuring Vivrant Betha
Ya'll Can't Be Ready, cause I ain't......

http://www.blickees.com
Sports | Entertainment | Gadgets | Video Games | Music

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Tue Jul-03-01 05:46 AM

47. "RE: they WEREN'T aliens"
In response to Reply # 43

>The father-figure-like robot referred to humans
>as their creators and called
>them geniuses.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the father-figure-ALIEN referred to DAVID's creators being the product of their (humans) genius.

-Post killer since 99

AB
Charter member
446 posts
Wed Jul-04-01 11:42 AM

53. "RE: they were not aliens"

I know they weren't aliens. But, since it was directed by Spielberg ("Close Enocunters," "ET"), I couldn't help but thinking that the whole time.

AB
Charter member
446 posts
Wed Jul-04-01 11:46 AM

54. "RE: they were not aliens"
In response to Reply # 53

I just figured they were a new species, extraterrestrial or not. Didn't matter to me, they still didn't belong in the movie.

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Wed Jul-04-01 12:47 PM

55. "THEY WERE MECHA!!!!"
In response to Reply # 54

Being wrong is Orga and crow taste good.

http://www.movieheadlines.net/ai/default.php3?postid=6618

-Post killer since 99

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Sun Jul-01-01 06:56 AM

19. "David Denby's review"
In response to Reply # 0

I found this interesting, particularly the business about juxtaposing the Kubrick and Spielberg attitudes toward humanity, and the Pinocchio issues:

http://www.newyorker.com/THE_CRITICS/THE_CURRENT_CINEMA/

FACE/OFF

Steven Spielberg meets Stanley Kubrick.

by DAVID DENBY

Issue of 2001-07-02
Posted 2001-06-25

Early in Steven Spielberg's "A.I.," the face of a perfectly normal-looking woman slowly lifts off, moving outward from her head like the hatch of a spaceship. A minute later, the face falls back into place, and the creature—a robot, with clockwork brains—looks like a fleshy woman once again. We've seen face-lifts like this before, but it's still a shock—initially almost a mutilation, and then, once we've recovered, a sight as strange and beautiful as a painting by Magritte or Dali. In "A.I.," the many uncanny exchanges between the human and the post-human are brought off with seamless perfection, and Spielberg's imagery (Janusz Kaminski did the cinematography) is precise and unforced and at times hauntingly lovely. Spielberg still moves people through space better than anyone else; he uses blinding white light against dark backgrounds like a magician bringing revelation itself; he creates eccentric, mysteriously sad visual motifs—for instance, a robot abandoned at the bottom of a swimming pool, as forlorn as a party hat left on a subway bench. As a director of fantasy, Spielberg puts to shame the hacks who turn out foul-looking messes like "The Mummy Returns" and "Tomb Raider," with their ugly brown sets built to be blown up, their creatures that fall apart like weak piñatas. Whatever is wrong with "A.I."—and a great deal is wrong—it's the first American movie of the year made by an artist.

"A.I.: Artificial Intelligence" is set in a doom-ridden future: global warming has melted the polar ice cap; coastal cities, including New York, have gurgled and gone under; millions are dead, and a reduced worldwide population depends, with increasing disgust, on robots for work and pleasure. The idea for the movie has been around a long time—maybe too long. "A.I." is based on a Brian Aldiss story that was published in Harper's Bazaar in 1969 and was later worked into a screen story by Ian Watson. For years, Stanley Kubrick, in his lordly-dithering way, labored and fussed over the material. In the end, he turned to "Eyes Wide Shut," but not before talking at length to Spielberg about "A.I." and suggesting that he direct it. In the generally cynical environment of big-time Hollywood, Spielberg's assumption of the project after Kubrick's death has a stirring resonance to it, and I wish I could say that the semi-posthumous collaboration comes off. Of course, one can't be absolutely sure who is responsible for what, but if you were wondering how Spielberg's pop exaltations would consort with Kubrick's dread and metaphysical dismay, the answer is: strangely, confusingly.

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" both opened with a bang, but this time Spielberg, who wrote the script himself, begins with a lugubrious double introduction. Ben Kingsley, offscreen, intones news of the ice-cap disaster in Noble English—the orotund diction of bad movies for more than half a century. Then there's a stiffly written and played science seminar led by William Hurt, a gray man standing among gray listeners. Hurt says something about the need for a new robot, a robot that can be imprinted with a desire to love and dream. Stepping out of a column of light like E.T., Haley Joel Osment is the paragon—a child robot called David, a boy who never throws food, or pees on the toilet seat, or squashes bugs. Haley Joel, the extraordinary young actor from "The Sixth Sense," is given a slightly plasticized look by the makeup artists—his cheeks are rounded and shiny, his complexion is peachy. He stands very still and holds an unblinking stare and a small, expectant smile. "Would you like me to go to bed now?" he asks. Programmed to love, his David is terribly sweet, and yet his adoptive parents, Monica (Frances O'Connor) and Henry Swinton (Sam Robards), are unnerved by him—especially after their real son, Martin, who has been cryogenically preserved while a cure was sought for a disease that he contracted, suddenly recovers and comes home. Jealous and vindictive, Martin, a human devil-child, tries to destroy David, and Spielberg works up some horror-film tension. But these sequences aren't very enjoyable. As a couple, the Swintons are intentionally unappealing—Monica, in particular, is wild-eyed and neurotic, a lousy mother to both boys. The Swintons' house is a futuristic art thing, circular, with tiny mobiles hanging everywhere, and Spielberg and Kaminski, in a rare mistake, light it in diffused pale-blue tones that put one into a trance of boredom.

Scared of David, Monica turns him loose in the forest. At that point, the movie should take off as a fairy tale about an unwanted child. David, now an outcast, falls among the robots, including Joe (Jude Law), a stud-gigolo who makes love to lonely women. Jude Law's hair is shaped into a black plastic wedge, and his cheekbones and chin are molded for glamour; he's more beautiful than any human, that's for sure. Frisky in a high-gloss black coat, he dances his way through the part, a candid and utterly charming machine. When Law is around, the movie is magical. But there's a darker purpose afoot: the robots are all outcasts. The humans hate them and persecute them as thoroughly as the Nazis persecuted the Jews, rounding them up and bashing them at obscene revels called Flesh Fairs. Spielberg stages one of these events as a cross between a rock concert gone mad and a freaky W.W.F. brawl; the assembled crowd, roaring and cursing, seems like a fascist mob.

One senses a perverse Kubrickian joke here: the humans are neurotic, frantic, and empty, the machines refined and good-natured. And Spielberg fills out the joke: politely, without jostling, the robots search through a junk pile, picking up a spare chin or a set of teeth or an arm. The scene is grotesque yet gentle, in beatific-surreal style. At the Flesh Fair, the distinguished robots go to their deaths with smiles of resignation. All this is haunting, but what does it mean? What's the point of the anti-populism embodied in the portrait of the human mob? We're meant to be outraged by the cruelty, yet is it crazy for humans to feel threatened by the machines that are literally replacing them? What's being satirized or criticized—human fear? The inferiority of the humans is a dead-end irony that doesn't work dramatically. One suspects that it's merely the latest aspect of Kubrick's misanthropy, which took over his movies as early as "2001: A Space Odyssey." In that film, the computer HAL was far more human than the humans. For thirty years, in such zombified works as "Barry Lyndon" and "Eyes Wide Shut," Kubrick had little use for men and women. Operating from the far side of the grave in "A.I.," he's running his own kind of Flesh Fair.

Spielberg, of course, has the opposite temperament: he likes warmth and sentiment in his pictures. In the past, children have been the perfect vehicle for his emotion, but in "A.I.," with a brilliant child actor on hand, he loses his common sense and milks the kid to death. David just loves that awful mother and through all his adventures longs to be a real little boy so she will love him back. The story is based explicitly on "Pinocchio," but it gives us a queasy feeling from the beginning. Have the filmmakers forgotten that Pinocchio is a scamp? He's disobedient and lazy, he lies, he has a nose that rather famously gets longer. Pinocchio wants to be a real person because he's tired of being knocked around as a puppet. He is redeemed by love for his wood-carver "father" just at the very end of the tale. But in "A.I." David is not only the ultimate goody-goody; he's the spirit of pure, yearning adoration. That's his sole dimension—he's a robot—and in the end Haley Joel, great as he is, tries our patience. The movie weirdly pours treacle over a foundation of despair, and any genuine emotion drops out of it.

"A.I." might have worked if it had been faster and lighter, with perhaps only glancing moments of misery. But this is a ponderous, death-of-the-world fantasy, which leaves us with nothing but an Oedipal robot—hardly a redemption. At the end, still awaiting his transformation, David winds up underwater in drowned New York. Eventually, some willowy extraterrestrials show up, and we hear Ben Kingsley completing the orotund explanations of the opening scene. The bluish imagery attains a religioso quality, yet no humans are left to greet the future. That Kubrick gave up on the human race will not come as a surprise, but Spielberg is a different story. "A.I." has every kind of special effect in it but this one: a deceased director rises from the crypt and drains the vitality out of a living one.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Angel
Charter member
204 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 05:55 AM

20. "RE: The movie was beautiful"
In response to Reply # 0

Steven Speilberg is the eptiome of movie directors. I cried through the second half of the movie. It was so heart touching, so beautiful, well directed, well thought out. A lady in back of me complained that the movie was too long. The movie was 2 1/2 hours. If he had shortened the movie, it would have been crap and you would not have been able to answer the "why did that happen, or why did he do that". I liked it so much I would go see it again. But I only recommend this movie to people who are sensitive, intelligent, and who have common sense. Its not an action flick, a sex flick, or a comedy. This movie has class. I can't even put it in words. Just go see it.

-------------------------------------------
You may have walked away,
but we're still as close as when I gazed,
deep in your gentle eyes

stonewinters@hotmail.com

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 06:48 AM

21. "Question"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a homeboy who watched the film and second that the third act was ridiculous and didn't fit at all with how the movie was going. He stated that it was painfully clear where the Stanley Kubrick film ended and the Spielberg film began and the Spielberg film was some hooky, sappy, overly dramatic trash...

Was the ending that bad??

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 07:04 AM

22. "RE: Question"
In response to Reply # 21

I thought it was. i liked the way the film was going for the initial hour n fourty-five minutes. then, the film was jostled with a shift in feel and narration, as well as 4 or 5 false endings. but the thing is, i cant think of a different way to end it. i think the problem lied in the manner in which the ending was dealt with. when i first saw the trailer, w/ the line 'his love is real, but he is not,' i lost interest. but word had spread that the movie was much darker than the tagline suggested. true to their word, the film was much darker, but also included some corny-ass lines.

but the film itself was great, technically. the lighting and most of the CGI was strong. and the acting was pretty good, too.

/ -zero° /
aim name / monkeybars j5
http://www.7moonz.com
17 july 2k1 - gt3

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 07:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
23. "RE: Question"
In response to Reply # 21

My major fault with the movie was the ending. There was alot of realism in the beginning, despite it bein' science fiction. The sista in the meeting at the beginning posed a very important question to the makers of the child Mecha, will a human family return the child's love? The answer is obvious and very disturbing. I think they would have been betta off, givin' the child to a genuinely childless, lonely couple or parent. Haley Joel Osment gave a good performance, but I didn't have a whole lot of sympathy for the character. For the movie to be as long as it was, the ending seemed rushed and messy. I don't see the purpose of a robot programmed to love someone, maybe if the robot learned to be human, like "Millenium Man", but to be programmed to love exclusively is unneccessary. The most unsettling parts of the movie were, the scene, where "David" was frightened and wanted to protect himself at the expense of a human boy, David bein' abandoned, and meeting another Mecha boy in Dr. Hobby's lab, it's all perfect examples of why the experiment was such a bad idea.

"...all these emcees hollarin', they lactose intolerant, they can't touch the cheese"-Beanie Siegel

"I'm like Malcolm with just the X, these bitches think they in love, but it's just the X"-Noreaga

"It's Freeway, not Elway, no relation, but I ball like him with a game like him..."-Freeway

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 08:04 AM

26. "Hye"
In response to Reply # 0

does anybody know where i an find the short story the movie was based on

btw

Hallie Joe is so fucking good its scary

Jude Law might be my new favorite sice Edward Norton whos kinda falling off

and i fuckin hated the ending but the ride geting there was great

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 08:10 AM

27. "RE: Hye"
In response to Reply # 26

Noted science fiction author Brian Aldiss wrote his short story, "Super-Toys Last All Summer Long," over 30 years ago. Published in Harper’s Bazaar in 1969 and later anthologized. I can't tell you where to even start lookin' for it.

Science_Fiction
Charter member
42096 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 09:34 AM

30. "here you go."
In response to Reply # 27

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/5.01/ffsupertoys_pr.html

Sci fi

we are, escaping krypton at full throttle//
infant bodies encased in sound, and using' words as space shuttles//
to travel the stars, paddling parsecs past mars//
in astral cars these prophets peddle prose from pluto to polaris without perspiring//
and at the verge of expiring, human shells shatter, with genetic helices going the way of decaying rope ladders//
while we reborn as anti-matter, meet at the point where parallel planes converge--you'll see us where the dead stars gather//
in front of hubbles, the heads of scientists huddle//
to meet a more than welcome rebuttal//
to so-called conscious rappers who spit while sleep-walking//
saying nothing//
while i've been known to subvert opponents to unconsciousness when i let my subconscious do the talking//
~science fiction.

http://members.tripod.com/angryrobotrecords

With all due respect...
ask around.

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 08:12 AM

29. "RE: Hye"
In response to Reply # 26

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312280610/o/qid=994097316/sr=2-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/002-2465341-4386421

/ -zero° /
aim name / monkeybars j5
http://www.7moonz.com
17 july 2k1 - gt3

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 08:11 AM

28. "I protest this movie!"
In response to Reply # 0

when kubrick was working on the film, just before he died, he had Chris Cunningham (of Aphex Twin video fame) working on the art direction, in charge of desiging all the robots and "tech" shit. He got 15 minutes of test film done that made his studio go crazy.
Then Kubrick died and his bitch wife gives the project to Speilberg ARGHHHHHHHGGHHGG!!! and he commences to make it a spielberg emotional tugg=war bitchout movie and DOES NOT USE CUNNINGHAM as art direction. How stupid.
Any way, since the test shots were not under control by any studio, Cunningham could use his creations for whatever he wanted.
Enter Bjork's "All Is Full Of Love" video, which has the exact robots and staging that Cunningham and Kubrick designed for AI.
Now, if you havent seen the video, your denying yourself one of the greatest short-films i have ever seen.

now, the preview start to come out along with some promo material for AI and, wouldnt you know it, some of the robots look suprisingly similar to what Cunningham had designed.
And guess what?
CUNNINGHAM WAS GIVEN NOOOOOO CREDIT BY SPIELBERG!
FUCK HIM!
FUCK HIM AND HIS HOLLYWOOD WASH OF MOVIES!
I HOPE THIS FILM BITES IT AT THE BOX!
I HOPE CUNNINGHAM'S FIRST FULL-LENGTH HAS SPEILBERGS DECAPITATED HEAD IN IT!

argh....
b9

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:11 AM

31. "hmm..."
In response to Reply # 28

I'm certainly no expert on this subject.

But the story I heard was that Kubrick discussed it with Spielberg before he died.

Kubrick wanted to use a real robot instead of a child, and was concerned that he would have uncontrollable continuity problems with the child as he grew up. Knowing how long he takes (or took) to shoot movies, the joke was that the kid would be shaving before he was done shooting everything. So Kubrick was reluctant to go forward with a child actor. The robotics people he was talking to (I got no names from the report I heard) told him that they COULD create a robot for the role, but it wouldn't be able to do all that a child could do.

Somewhere along the line in all that research and development, Kubrick discussed the idea of Spielberg going forward with the movie.

At least that's the story I heard.

RED
I'm afraid to let my self go.
It hasn't yet memorized its way home.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:48 AM

38. "I heard something simular"
In response to Reply # 31

but no one has confirmed anything...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 11:46 AM

40. "well..."
In response to Reply # 31

what i had heard (hear-say, how silly for us to discuss).
anyway...
yeah, what i heard was that the Spielberg/Kubrik thing only came about after test shots of "Eyes Wide Shut" came out and the studio was like "Uh, stanley, we dont want to spend this much on your movie", so attaching Spielberg's name to it as a "co-producer", as he originally was going to be, would get him the financing...after the tragic death, the rest is history.
i dont think that the boy was ever going to be a robot, but the rest of the animatronics WERE IN FACT developed by Chris Cunningham nearly 2 years before the movie began shooting, after Stanley saw the very AI esq "Come to Daddy" video and the Autechre "Ventalin" video. Each had that odd robotic yet real feel to them that AI was supposed to be about; the melding of man and machine.
In addition, as it is rumored, Cunnigham was also going to get famed Richard D. James, aka AphexTwin, on for the score and Kubrik was gun-hoe about that prospect.

possibly the biggest ever "what if" in movie history...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
41. "It wouldda sucked harder"
In response to Reply # 40

Kubrick and Chris would have made the movie too dark, just like Spielberg made the movie too happy.

Cunningham working on Neuromancer, and supposedly he gets to direct so it should be pretty cool.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jul-03-01 02:53 AM

46. "something else"
In response to Reply # 41

i think that the darker this movie could have been the better.
and cunningham has said that he has gotten the rights to neuromancer, but before he does that movie he wants to do an original romance-drama (gasp!hahahaha!...but really) that he wrote so as not to stereotype what kind of director he is.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jul-03-01 07:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
49. "RE: something else"
In response to Reply # 46

Thing is what made this movie was at least for me it was an indictment of how heartless human's act. Its a tale of a robot who's only job in the world is to love, and a 'race' of robots who's only job is to help out humanity, yet shows how we treat them like shit (inhumanly to say the least...the robots have more goodness in them then we do, the ironic core of the movie). Kubrick's one achilles heel has been that ive never seen him put a loving relationship on screen that invokes that warm and fuzzy feeling. Relationships in his movies are there simply to as setting. Look at Eye's Wide Shut, even though one of its themes is the breakdown of relationships, ive never seen a movie played so coldly. Not one of the character's had any feeling whatsoever, and I think that was one of its major flaws. For A.I. to work, you would have to feel sympathetic towards the boy and his plight, work that poor boy in a fairytale angle. Spielberg still half fucked it up, and crap like that is his bread and butter. But Kubrick prob would have made it worse (then again this is all 'what ifs' Kubrick could have made it the movie).

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 12:12 PM

42. "perhaps"
In response to Reply # 40

I suppose it's hearsay, but when I say "I heard" something, I mean I was listening a report about the making of the movie on the radio, but I was in the middle of a conversation so I wasn't paying complete attention.

That's a little better than saying some dude I was talking to heard it from a friend who heard it etc.

But still not to be taken as gospel.

RED
I'm afraid to let my self go.
It hasn't yet memorized its way home.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:17 AM

32. "RE: Review of A.I."
In response to Reply # 0

Here's my take on it.

You have a Kubrick/Spielberg project(supposedly even before Kubrick died during pre-production). That in itself is a good thing. While indie film purists look at the word Spielberg and have a heart attack, alot of the themes needed someone like that to handle them. (i.e. love as viewed as a child). Kubrick, on the other hand, has the restraint(and the wierdness) to stop Spielberg from making ET2 or another generic sappy movie.

And like its been posted here, for the first two hours of the movie, its a great(abiet not perfect) match. The acting all around was on point, cgi was excellent, storytelling kept you involved and lines weren't used just to get to the next action segment. Just a well made piece of art.

Then, I can see this happening.

Spielberg "We can't end it like this, its to dark"

Assistant "Hrm, whatever you say boss, but its whats in the script...what do we do now"

Spielberg "I mean we have this cute kid. Real fucking cute kid. And he's all sad and shit. I can't end a movie like that and put my name on it"

Assistant "But sir. This is a Kubrick project also. I think he would have liked the ending the way it is. With all the ideas and plot that you had in the beginning of the movie, theres no way we really could give it a happy ending"

Spielberg "Doh, what do I do now...brain work...brain work...wait a minute. Ive got it. I don't have to write a new ending at ALL? Ill get someone else to do it!!"

Assistant "What?"

Spielberg "I know, lets find 3 film geeks who watched way too much Star Trek and have them end the movie. They could use cool shit like flying cubes, time space continums, hey remember close encounters? When was the last time we had an alien in a movie? They could write whatever the fuck they want, shit I dont care. Just make sure they write a happy ending ok? And ill just add it to the end of the movie. People are stupid nowadays anyway, they wont notice"

Assistant "Its genius! DIFFERENT ENDINGS. Last time I saw that was Clue, the movie. If you like the first ending, you can leave...if it didnt leave you satisfied, you can stay for the other one!"

Spielberg "Thats why they pay me the big bucks sweetheart. Start looking for the writers..."

fats
Charter member
2470 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:29 AM

33. "according to that article way at the top"
In response to Reply # 32

kubrick wrote the beginning and the end and spielberg did the middle. so kubrick wanted the sap, but he knew he wouldn't be able to direct it.

fats
Charter member
2470 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:37 AM

34. "this movie sucked."
In response to Reply # 0

but it's polemic responses are great. here are a few i gathered from various message boards:

--------------------------------------------
Whoever thought about the movie must hate the whole human race and progress we all achieved.

The aliens were shown to care too much for the robo child's trauma. Hey, why not switch some goddamn switch off in the robo child, so that his memory can be erased? If his love for his mum can be programmed, why can it not be unprogrammed? Is the director/writer nuts? Has he ever used computer technology? I guess not.

This movie is the best i've ever seen in my entire life and there's people who consider it like crap. I think that we are too addicted to action movies with brainless chicks and big explosions.

Kubrick's work really shines through and with a heavy twist of Spieldburg's influence the movie mesmarizes!!!

I think the writers and producer should be scolded for subjecting us to this new kind of Absent Intellegence!

It seems that the people who hate this movie the most are the ones who refuse to really look at it for what it is trying to convey. TRUTH!!!

Speil baby is a tree hugger
by: texaspilot2000 (M/Texas) 07/02/01 12:30 pm EDT
Msg: 222 of 253

Did you see how deep that ocean was. Probably 400 feet higher than it currently is.

Based on my calculations it would take 13,333 years for that to happen if you assume it (the oceans) rises 3 feet every 100 years (current projected rate of rise) (400 / 3 = 133 x 100 = 13,333 years.)

Hell if that really happened every coast city in every nation would be destroyed.

That crap will never happen.

That thermal expansion of the ocean might be sufficient to raise sea level by about 30 centimeters or more in the next 100 years.

These communist democratic freaks in California/Europe want all production of fossil fuels stopped.

Hollywood should be ashamed of itself for pulling crap like this.

This bothers me the most. If David only had One day to spend with his mother why did he take so long to wake her up? Hell, I'd slap her and say,"Play with me!"

Before mouthing off like a jackass, you might want to consider the possibility that your lack of appreciation could be more a function of your own failings than theirs.

I love star wars, Overboard, and Indiana Jones, I like Tomb Raider and the transformers movie. Basically I have diverse tastes. I bet 90% of the audience didn't even know that the aliens in the end of the movie were perfectly efficient AI (computers).

Hell, "Who let the dogs out" is fresh and hip compared to the Blue Fairy by the end of this film.

I guess there are people who will pretend to like ANYTHING, if they think it will convince others that they aren't the bourgeois dorks they know that they are.

I stayed only to see how many more retarded scenes Teddy could march into that would make me scream with laughter.

that last one is my personal favorite.

fats
Charter member
2470 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:38 AM

35. "it's/its"
In response to Reply # 34

somewhere my junior high english teacher is crying.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 10:57 AM

39. "collaboration?"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw A.I. last night, and I walked out puzzled.

The majority of the movie had me choosing from a list of three basic thoughts/feelings:
1) Wow, that's incredibly Kubrick. That's a Kubrick shot, with Kubrick colors and Kubrick silence.

2) Wow, that dialogue was horrible. Who wrote this screenplay?

3) Wow, that story shift was horrible. Who wrote this screenplay?

I mean, there's been a lot of confusion in Hollywood concerning how much Kubrick actually had finished in terms of story, and visuals and everything. I think it's pretty clear what happened:
Kubrick had a story outline. Spielberg started the movie with that outline, and shot through a Kubrick lens... so the first half of the movie is practically a Kubrick movie. The second half latches on to Kubrick-like visuals, but lets Spielberg really have his way with the script.

So why was I puzzled? I want to know who the hell let this movie be released with such a wretched ending. And I was ultimately puzzled because of the absolutely contradictory feelings inside me. One part of me was throughly enchanted by the feel of the movie, the way it moved and looked. The other half screamed throughout a decent portion of the movie...

I mean it was like I was reading Kafka, Kafka Kafka and then the last forty-five minutes was Stephen King. And you know that's a letdown.

-thebigfunk
Five on the Player:
Philadelphia Experiment
Kevin So - That Oriental Guy
Carole King - Tapestry
Ghostface - Supreme Clientele
Coltrane - Lush Life

http://www.angelfire.com/art/thebigfunk/

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Utica_Ave

Thu Jul-05-01 06:52 AM

56. "RE: collaboration?"
In response to Reply # 39

I was feeling the whole premise behind the flesh-fair: a very circus-like event in which the humans destroy mechas as a way of protesting artificiality (ironically, an artificial population humans created) and maintaining numerical superiority. But when the movie became centered around this mecha child finding his "mother", I got angry. That's where Speilberg stepped in, obviously. In fact, the whole search for this mother put me to sleep. I didn't like that the complexity of realtionship between the mechas and the orgas was shelved so this robot could find his Mommy. Not once did I believe that this robot ever really loved her...(there was an imprint process she had go through before he even uttered anything about love or recognized her as his mother).

Too much romanticizing and too little reality for me.

Eccentric
Charter member
3293 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 09:17 PM

44. "They weren't aliens.........."
In response to Reply # 0

They were mecha. They referred to humans as their creators and recognized their brillance. Kulbrick's script had this part of the movie and refers to them as advanced mecha. Thus why they were so fond of David, as he was like an ancient ancestor to them.

ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"
Debut album from one of Erykah Badu's background singers(she's the chick wearing yellow in the "Bag Lady" video).

Rated @@@@1/2 by Vivrant

Summer 2001
featuring Vivrant Betha

Eccentric
Charter member
3293 posts
Mon Jul-02-01 09:18 PM

45. "AND............."
In response to Reply # 44

If you looked at them closely, you could actually see their circuitry and the signals going through their bodies.

ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"

Rated @@@@1/2 by Vivrant

Summer 2001
featuring Vivrant Betha

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Jul-03-01 12:40 PM

50. "Aliens vs Machines"
In response to Reply # 45

Yeah, my wife & I disagreed on this point...I thought they were machines she thought they were aliens....

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Jul-03-01 06:34 AM

48. "RE: Review of A.I."
In response to Reply # 0

I saw the movie and this review was exactlty on point. Whomever wrote this review did a fantastic job of breaking it down without giving too much info away.

Great flick!! Can't wait to see it again (and buy it on DVD too!)

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

QuestOn4
Member since Aug 08th 2003
39 posts
Wed Jul-04-01 05:32 AM

51. "ArRrRrRrRrRrRGgGh!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

At some point while the screenplay was being written, I bet Spielberg dropped by the set of "The Anniversary Party" and took some of the "e" they had lying around...

This was a very ambitious misfire, though. And in all honesty, I'd rather see an ambnitious, thoughtful movie than a trite, thoughtless one. I thought it coulda been an allegory to the human condition/unconditional, unceasing love---up until the alien thingies in the flying jawn---then I didn't know what to make of it. It was easily one of the worst endings I'd ever seen, especially since the rest was so daring an inspired.

It definitely made me think, though. That's a start.

--Initiating shutdown sequence--
--Deactivating Soul Brother Prototype "Quest"--

"I hate these people with the heat of a nova..." Tobey, "The West Wing"

Writers. Smartasses. Funky Children.

The Collective is:

Vex Bliss
Nuru
Quest

http://www.womb.cjb.net

AIM: QuestOn4

jsmooth995
Charter member
2752 posts
Thu Jul-05-01 08:15 AM

58. "RE: ArRrRrRrRrRrRGgGh!!!"
In response to Reply # 51

>This was a very ambitious misfire,
>though. And in all honesty,
>I'd rather see an ambnitious,
>thoughtful movie than a trite,
>thoughtless one.

That was my thought..reposting from other thread:

----------
No doubt the ending had some problems. But I would much rather see an artist be too ambitious, than see him be too cautious, as Spielberg has usually been.

A.I. has more obvious imperfections than most of Spielberg's movies...and that is exactly what makes it so special. Stanley Kubrick always sought to push the envelope, to challenge himself and his audience...by trying to stay true to Kubrick's vision, Spielberg opened himself up to taking the same type of risks more than he ever has before. When you take such risks artistically, the result will never be perfect. But it will be far more rewarding than anything you can get by playing it safe.

I hope his experience on this film will influence how Spielberg approaches other projects in the future. I'll be very interested to see where he goes from here.
-----------

Jay Smooth
WBAI 99.5 FM in NY
http://www.hiphopmusic.com

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer S.

http://www.illdoctrine.com - where hip-hop vlogs?

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Thu Jul-05-01 07:23 AM

57. "RE: Review of A.I."
In response to Reply # 0

(ahem)

YOUR FRIEND IS A DORK.

just kidding, the review might be better then the movie.

peace

......pull them panties up party's over.

haj

www.dumhi.com

xraymonkey

Thu Jul-05-01 09:50 AM

59. "RE: Review of A.I. (from the writer of the review)"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi everyone:

I wrote the original review posted here & thought I'd respond to a few of the comments. I had a chance to see the movie again and think more about it. I'll say this much - I'm still thinking about both the actual movie and my own reactions.

1. The ending - Yes, it's extremely problematic. Spielberg didn't figure out a smooth way to make his transitions. And I would have preferred that those creatures/mechas ( I also recently read that Kathleen Kennedy the producer said they were Mecha not alien - which makes the ending even weirder) never actually spoke out loud. But for those who accuse Spielberg of ruining the movie, the ending was actually mapped out specifically by Kubrick himself. The middle section with Gigolo Joe & the Flesh Fair was the section that Spielberg tinkered with the most. I do think the scene where the lead Mecha sits down on the bed to talks with David is ridiculous and easily the worst scene in the movie & for some people ruins the goodwill built up by the rest of the movie. It plays like someone explaining the entire film to the audience - something Kubrick would never do. However, what's actually being said isn't that dumb. Plus, what's being said doesn't necessarily "answer" all of the questions raised. The concepts behind the ending and the way these new mechas treat David are actually quite provocative and moving. Not to mention that there was something kind of chilling and awe-inspiring about seeing the earth after humanity has vanished. Think about the entire movie this way: the narrator is actually a Mecha from the future (perhaps the lead Mecha who talks to David). He's telling a story, a fairy tale about humanity (which has long since vanished) to other Mechas or other life forms. He's absorbed personal details from David's memory banks, but also extrapolated the best he could using his own "imagination." So everything is "artificial" in the movie yet conveyed through an intelligence. I think seeing the movie this way is actually very Kubrickian: at a distance, yet with heightened emotion. Kubrick originally intended to begin Dr. Strangelove from outer space with aliens talking about the human race after its own destruction from nuclear war. Reportedly, Kubrick didn't actually show the aliens in 2001 because he feared that he couldn't imagine them. However, Spielberg takes a leap and shows us these new entities. Okay, so they're not technically "aliens" but they certainly are non-human & capable of self-consciousness, imagination, and emotion.

2. "Art or Artificality" that reflects and expresses Humanity - What makes the ending (and the entire movie) intriguing and moving to me is that David was originally created out of need and love by his human inventor Dr Hobby to help him exorcize his own pain at losing his son. David in turn was meant to provide comfort and love for Monica. Both are using art or artificality to deal with human needs and emotions. However, the rub is that unlike most artificial things, David has his own consciousness and set of emotions with needs. He seeks solace in another artifical work, Teddy, but is ultimately chasing after something "real" namely Monica's love. However, the sad cruel irony is that Monica's love of course is not real. She only loves what David does for her because she thinks of him as a toy not her son. What makes David unique is that he becomes almost human in his yearning for something that doesn't exist and sense of discontent/loneliness. His own imagination is so strong that he needs to believe in a Blue Fairy - the same way many of us delude ourselves to fulfill deep needs. At the very end, these non-human "artificial" mechas have co-opted David to fulfill their own needs. Clearly, they are moved and fascinated by David. They can glean information about humanity, but also he seems to touch them at some deep ineffable level. Time has passed, and humanity has vanished. But art and artifically survive. David exists as a living record of humanity's strengths and weaknesses. What makes the very end so moving to me is that while David was created to serve other's needs, at the end he has ordered the re-creation of Monica to serve his own. She seems "real" but is actually an "artifical" creation produced to fulfill his own needs which are now as real as any human's. It's a bit creepy when you think about it too, but also immeasurably poignant. Not so simplistic and dopey, is it?

3. Why Spielberg is oddly appropriate for this project - As much as I would still love to see Kubrick's own take on the project, I don't think he had the same intuitive flair and insight about childhood that Spielberg has. Kubrick must have realized this and handed over the project for this reason. When Steven Spielberg makes movies about lost boys, he's on his most inspired ground. Yes, his films and style involve "artificiality" in the form of manipulation and exacting technique, but this is perfectly appropriate in the case of fantasy/sci-fi/adventure. I've actually had more problems with Spielberg's recent "adult" films like Saving Private Ryan because he's dealing with historical reality yet still presenting a clever lie. In those films, Spielberg's technique is so canny, he presents carefully crafted (and manipulated) fiction as documentary "truth" - which is extremely effective emotionally - but rather questionable from a moral/aesthetic pov. For example, Spielberg did an exceptional job of crafting a re-creation of Auschwitz & it certainly affects us to see it. But did he consider that perhaps it wasn't morally tenable to re-create a place of historical horror. Can any "fake" world do justice to real evil? However, back in AI he's dealing with a completely imagined world and context. And in this case, the lies actually contain more "truth" than the faux verite.

Anyway, I'm blabbing too much. Feel free to respond.

Xraymonkey/Tuscan Raider

xraymonkey

Thu Jul-05-01 10:11 AM

60. "RE: Review of A.I. (from the writer of the review)"
In response to Reply # 59

oh and incidentally, david denby's review only affirms for me why i dislike him so intensely. he's a talented writer and has an immaculate, clear style. but he's also an aesthetic reactionary and his judgments never teach me anything about cinema or art, instead he seems to reflect the uptight, middlebrow sensibilities of both the new yorker and new york magazine's demographic. his antipathy towards kubrick and tasteless posthumous diss of the man only reveals his narrowmindedness about film and art.

it's interesting to read reviews of AI because the more serious minded critics tend to embrace it. roger ebert's review said that AI was built on a major miscalculation because obviously no human should love a machine. i feel like he completely misread the movie and didn't bother to think about the theme of artifice deeper than a surface analogy. he compares david's mistreatment to the way we curse at our computers. does ebert ever stop to consider that the human brain & nervous system might be compared to a complex machine. it's where we get our emotions and perhaps our soul. this is a disturbing concept for all of us - to see that we could be compared to a complex machine. with the essence of our life and consciousness stored in a magic box - in our case the brain.

i recommend reading jonathan rosenbaum's short capsule review in the chicago reader (in fact, rosenbaum is one of the few credible film critics in america - esp when dealing with kubrick. he also happens to generally loathe spielberg, so his review is especially interesting). other reviews worth reading were a.o. scott's assessment in the ny times, andrew sarris in the ny observer, and armond white's reviews in both this week's and last week's ny free press. david edelstein's piece in slate provides an interesting counterpoint even if i disagree heartily with him.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #19083 Previous topic | Next topic