Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSpielberg, wtf?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=19083&mesg_id=19098
19098, Spielberg, wtf?
Posted by AB, Sat Jun-30-01 10:01 PM
I came to this post expecting totally different opinions of this movie than what I am seeing. Here are my thoughts:

The first half of "AI" stirred emotions in me I never believed a movie could. I was extremely frightened at points, and almost cried at others. In fact, I can say this section of the movie was on par with some of the best movies I have ever seen.

Now let me describe how I feel about the second half of the movie....

I sat in my chair for fourty-five minutes without moving or saying a word. I couldn't BELIEVE what I was seeing on the screen. In fact, the most confusing moment of my entire life occured while watching the second half of "AI." So as not to ruin the plot for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, I'll just refer to this moment as "the flying cube scene." WHY?! Who allowed for the second half of the movie to remain in the screenplay? I realize Speilberg is highly respected in the industry, but if someone had destroyed the film containing the second half of the movie before it hit the theaters, we would live in a much better world.

Major gripes (those of you who have seen the movie will know what I'm talking about):

-Aliens?
-Space-time continuum?
-One day? How stupidly convenient. I mean, can't they just do it over and over every day?
-If the professor and his team wanted him so badly, wouldn't you exepect them to search for him after he jumped off? It wouldn't have been that difficult to bring him back to the surface...
-Aliens?

On a positive note, while I always underestimate Osmont's performances, he managed to impress and move me with this one. Well done, kid. Also, even though I hear the mother's character was slightly different in the Kubric version, I was also impressed by her performance (what's the name of the actress?).

My advice - See this movie, but leave after the first hour and fifteen minutes. PLEASE!

-AB