Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: something else
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=19083&mesg_id=19127
19127, RE: something else
Posted by BigReg, Tue Jul-03-01 07:03 AM
Thing is what made this movie was at least for me it was an indictment of how heartless human's act. Its a tale of a robot who's only job in the world is to love, and a 'race' of robots who's only job is to help out humanity, yet shows how we treat them like shit (inhumanly to say the least...the robots have more goodness in them then we do, the ironic core of the movie). Kubrick's one achilles heel has been that ive never seen him put a loving relationship on screen that invokes that warm and fuzzy feeling. Relationships in his movies are there simply to as setting. Look at Eye's Wide Shut, even though one of its themes is the breakdown of relationships, ive never seen a movie played so coldly. Not one of the character's had any feeling whatsoever, and I think that was one of its major flaws. For A.I. to work, you would have to feel sympathetic towards the boy and his plight, work that poor boy in a fairytale angle. Spielberg still half fucked it up, and crap like that is his bread and butter. But Kubrick prob would have made it worse (then again this is all 'what ifs' Kubrick could have made it the movie).