Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26431

Subject: "D'ANGELO/MOS DEF OVER-PRICED TICKETS" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Darbw
Charter member
358 posts
Thu Mar-02-00 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"D'ANGELO/MOS DEF OVER-PRICED TICKETS"

I love D'angelo and Mos Def. F*%k'in love them. I probably would not listen to a lot of the music I do cause of them, or get into a lot of music I am because of them. But the ticket prices for the show at Toronto's Massey Hall are steeeeeep. I got some, but man I am going to be hurted. 200 bones for two tickets. That is in one word, "ridiculious" !! Are prices through the US this much, and WHY?<P>Darb

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Again....
Mar 02nd 2000
eyedon't givafuuuuuc!!
202crew
Mar 02nd 2000
Bullshit
Mar 02nd 2000
money's too tight to mention
Mar 03rd 2000
      OH fuck that!!!!!
Mar 03rd 2000
      quest
Mar 03rd 2000
      Changed my mind
Mar 03rd 2000
      How do you get backstage passes?(lol)
Mar 03rd 2000
      BTW, ?uest....
gREGbASS
Mar 07th 2000
Stop Complaining
Mar 02nd 2000
whatabwoy!
202crew
Mar 02nd 2000
      D'Angelo/Mos Def tickets
Mar 03rd 2000
           and in NYC no less?
Mar 06th 2000
man,
Mar 03rd 2000
Shutup and go!
Mar 03rd 2000
damn didnt know
dr_no
Mar 03rd 2000
Not even trippin
Mar 03rd 2000
Chicago Show
Two
Mar 03rd 2000
HAAAA! My tix were 39...and theyre the high end too!....
Mar 03rd 2000
biz karlee (me) hopes the tickets ain't sold out!!!
missphilippinethang
Mar 03rd 2000
At least...........
Mar 07th 2000
Thas word!
Shai4NY
Mar 07th 2000

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Thu Mar-02-00 12:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Again...."
In response to Reply # 0

Damn I wish I could find when I replied before. <BR>1.) I don't know the US/Canada exchnage rate. <BR>I'm paying $72 US per ticket<P>2.) This is a serious tour my man. When D toured for Brown Sugar he played small venues like Tramps in NYC where they could charge $15-$20US a head. Now D's performing at spots like Radio City Musci Hall. these places cost money my friend, there is no getting around that.<P>3.) Additionally D is more popular now. IF D was touring at little spots that only held 500 people everyone would be complainig that they couldn't see him adn the show was 21 and over and things like that. Can't have it both ways. He needs the bigger venues to fulfill the demand for his services.<P>4.) TOURS COST MONEY. Band has to be paid, D has to pay himself, pay the tour managers, pay booking agents, air and hotel costs, food costs, roadies, etc., etc. These things don't come cheap. <P>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the motherfucker upside the head...

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

202crew

Thu Mar-02-00 01:08 PM

2. "eyedon't givafuuuuuc!!"
In response to Reply # 1

i was one of the happiest men alive when i heard that d'angelo and mos def were touring together. until my sis told me the cheapest ticket in new york was $50. i said, "muthafuca say what?" d'angelo is dope. and mos def is awsome.<P>d'angelo is dope, but he ain't prince no matter how much he tries to be. the most expensive prince ticket for his emancipation tour in baltimore was $60. but he is prince. d'angelo ain't even worth it.<P>stop being greedy. i heard that artist make their most profits from touring.so if he is making 100 bucks per dome (i don't care how much radio city music hall cost) he is making dough. i don't even think michael jackson's bad tour was that exspensive.<P>i respect punkrockers who perform in small venues and charge their fans usually no more than $10, i know that there are circumstances that allow them to do this, but when i'm a famous rockstar i'm going to try to stick to this theroy of playing for playing's sake and not to make as much money as possible. what ever happened to enjoying performing and making sure your fans enjoyed the performance. looking at mos def and d'angelo through binoculars is not my idea of having a good time.<P>-naeem j.

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Thu Mar-02-00 01:17 PM

4. "Bullshit"
In response to Reply # 2

Punk rockers can peform at CBGBs cause they ain't got the demand that D does. Trust me my friend this a market economy, if those punk rockers could get people to pay 50 bomnes to come see them they wourl. Y'all kill me with this romantic starving artists nonsense.<P>And I paid 80 bones to see Prince in NYC. micahel Jackson tix were easily 100 bones for the best seats.<P>Whatever, if you don't want to pay then don't pay that's cool.<P>And you r damn right they make their money off touring. Artists don't make money off their albums unless they do Will Smith numbers.<P>So what they're supposed to make 100 a night profit when they tour and eat Spam. PleaseQ!!!!! They should get paid out the ass. Especially artists like D. Y'all complain about Puffy and company but the reason they can do the shit they do is because they have mad money.<P>D could've put out three Brown Sugar's in the time that Voodoo came out and they probably wouldn't have been the beuatiful work that Voodoo is but he would've had more money. Instead he chose to labor for his art and give us his all.<P>But he hasn't been making any money (aside from royalties, etc. on the stuff he had already done) and now its time to get paid. He's been in Electric Lady for three years. That studio time ain't cheap he has to pay back the people that invested in him plus make money for himself.<P>So if you think just because you like an artist he doesn't have a right to make money off his tour, u need kill that noise. If he was some commercial artist making bubble gum music selling 5 million copies just to get paid you'd be complaining too.<P><P>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the motherfucker upside the head...

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 08:23 AM

7. "money's too tight to mention"
In response to Reply # 1

D has to <BR>>pay himself, <P><P>unfortunatly d is doing this george clinton style. (who spent all his earnings on his tour including a $300,000 spaceship).<P>the band is the true cost of this tour. at least half of its members are stars within their own right, some in the world of jazz, some in other countries, and there's even this talented ass grammy award winnin' drummer.<P>money is not a real issue. for me i'm going back to my 1995 salery to do this tour. i can't expect to make my roots salery of 2000 cause then this tour would cost $100 a ticket. pus not to mention the hell all of us are catching from our camps: james poyser is missing an chance to soulquaritize ricky martin. guitarist jeff lee johnson left his very $ecure job of being rachelle ferrel's band leader to play with us. two of the backround vocalists have major record deals....sheeeeit even dice's record is on hold as long as kelo does the sound. and y'all know i'm catching hell for not cashing in on the grammy and whatnot......<P>again, the reason for the hig price is to just cover the cost of the sets and the staff members.<P>but we promise to make it worth your while....<P><P><P><P><BR>THE SOULQUARIANS<BR>chewy (quest).....jan<BR>luke (d)........feb <BR>lando (jaydee)......feb<BR>cp30 (james poyser).....jan<BR>r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan<BR>hans (chaos)........jan<BR>anakin (lil mike)......feb<P>honorary members:<BR>kelo- soulacorn.......jan<BR>common- soulcies......march<BR>erykah- soulcies......feb<BR>

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 08:34 AM

8. "OH fuck that!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

>D has to <BR>>>pay himself, <P>><BR>>unfortunatly d is doing this george clinton <BR>>style. (who spent all his earnings <BR>>on his tour including a $300,000 <BR>>spaceship). <P>See this is what I don't like. He should be able to pay himself a market rate and not have to make a sacrifice. But that's not why i reponded...(SCROLL DOWN)<P>>jeff lee johnson left <BR>>his very $ecure job of being <BR>>rachelle ferrel's band leader to play <BR>>with us.<P>NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! I love Rachelle get bak over there and get her in the studio. I need an album. I see her every time she comes to NYC but that's not enough. STOP FUCKING AROUND JEFF!<P><BR>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the motherfucker upside the head...

Aja
Charter member
21515 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 09:44 AM

11. "quest"
In response to Reply # 7

no need to explain it again, you already have, man. all 'n' all, it's still worth that much to see the show.

Darbw
Charter member
358 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 10:24 AM

12. "Changed my mind"
In response to Reply # 7

Quest,<P>Thanks for the post. I am definately into it now! Actually I will pay more now, send me the bill after the show. I have seen George and P-Funk twice and that is still one of my favorite shows, once with you guys in Toronto at Smokin' Grooves. <P>I Changed my Mind<BR>I Changed my Mind<BR>I Changed my Mind

C_Jon
Charter member
566 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 10:59 AM

15. "How do you get backstage passes?(lol)"
In response to Reply # 7

I know I sound heck of dumb for asking this, but how can I obtain some backstage passes?I want to see what goes on behind the scences before a D concert....(lol)<BR>Or you guys should make a film of this tour and then like sell it or something to the masses and have interviews and videos and stories of everybody who worked on the voodoo tour!!!and all the stuff that went down. That would be live!<BR>C_Jon<BR>P.S.<BR>- Need any help? I will work for free!!!!!!!-

gREGbASS

Tue Mar-07-00 06:50 AM

20. "BTW, ?uest...."
In response to Reply # 7

Will this tour be setup something like The "Common Evening With Roots" series y'all did where Com played WITH y'all? At least on some shows. I know y'all did the State in Detroit like that last March (which by the way was WAAAAAAAY more than I expected making it the best concert I've EVER attended).<P>Also, just wanna take a moment to curse all the cheap people.<P>FUCK ALL Y'ALL CHEAP MUHFUCKAS!!!!!! IF MIKE JACKSON ASKED FOR 60 DOLLARS FOR BALCONY SEATS, HALF OF Y'ALL WOULD WRITE HIM A BLANK CHECK!!!!<P>that's it.<P><BR>gB (T.O.K.P.A.K.A. tREBLEFREE)<BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>A lot of rich players are making wack-ass music, that's the bottom line! - Talib Kweli<P>WACK ENTERTAINMENT IS LIKE BAD PUSSY...PLENTIFUL AND CHEAP.... - a very angry but non-sexist cat known as gB<P>I listen with stylistic innocence as well as critical intelligence; I identify genres but ignore their limits... - Joshua Redman<P>Invest NO level of self into this system of PAGANomics... - BIG RUBE<P>I've been to enough sessions, and heard enough stories to back my claim that hip-hop is now following the road to "black music hell" (quality for dollars)... - ?uest<P>Killin fields need blood to graze the cash cow<BR>It's a number game, but shit don't add up somehow<BR>Like I got, 16 to 32 bars to rock it<BR>but only 15% of profits, ever see my pockets... - Mos Def<P>I could give a fuck what you made in a year<BR>NIGGA YOU WACK!!<BR>A soft nigga on a hard track<BR>In this new rap generation<BR>I "X" cats like a muslim<BR>He fell off 'cause I pushed him... - Common<P>For the artist who at his/her core just needs to be heard for the sake of his/her own sanity (and found some other way to feed his/her seeds): Staying underground is the only guarantee that he or she will be able to look in the mirror without feeling desperately ill. - Akiba Solomon ("Why Stay Underground", The Source Nov. 1999 Issue)

Kawahnda
Charter member
523 posts
Thu Mar-02-00 01:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Stop Complaining"
In response to Reply # 0

Look, at least you're getting MoS DEF. NYC is gettin tired ass Q-TIP. That wack ass CD totally turned me off!!!

The difference between a hoe and a bitch is that a hoe will fuck everybody...
A bitch will fuck everybody but you. -Frenchie

202crew

Thu Mar-02-00 03:03 PM

5. "whatabwoy!"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah Q-tip is weak.<BR>and as i said before d'angelo and mosdef are no prince or mike jackson.<P>-naeem j.

Darbw
Charter member
358 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 06:47 AM

6. "D'Angelo/Mos Def tickets"
In response to Reply # 5

Hey,<P>I do feel for you who get Q-tip and not Mighty Mos.<P>Darb

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Mar-06-00 07:40 AM

19. "and in NYC no less?"
In response to Reply # 6

I mean, how many times we gotta see Tip in NYC? Yeah, I'm complainin . . . an loud too.<P>*slapping self: quit ya damn complainin. At least ya gonna be there*<P>Okay, I'm better now.<P>love and respect,<BR>El Rey<P>"I prefer to speak of the impossible, because we already know too much about what is possible" Silvio Rodriguez<P>"If our profanity offends you, look around you and see how destructively society is profaning itself. It is the rape of the land, the pollution of the environment, the betrayal and suffering of the masses by corrupt government that is the real obscenity." - MOVE statement<P>FREE MUMIA!<BR>www.mumia.org<P>FREE THE MOVE 9!<P>FREE ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS!<P>FREE YOUR SELF!<BR>www.freeyourself.com<P>"Get free y'all, get free!" - Digable Planets<P>"Get Free" - The Artist<P>

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

mikaela_h
Charter member
1709 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 08:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "man,"
In response to Reply # 0

can I be your date??? I was like 75 bones for one ticket, I can't afford that, I'm hoping the birthday bug will hit my parents and they'll hook me up...if not, I'll just have to read your review in the concert section...have fun love<P>*****************************************************************************<P>eff a serious quote for a minute, these two are hilarious.....<P>"if your mind can see it then your vagina can achieve it"---Jumecca's advice on how to get layed in the 2000<P>"God don't like ugly people, and those mufucka's are going to hell with gasoline draws on"---Heavenlei

"if your mind can see it then your vagina can achieve it"---Jumecca's advice on how to get layed in the 2000

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen H

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 09:23 AM

10. "Shutup and go!"
In response to Reply # 0

Do you know how much Barbra Streisand tickets cost?<P>One day D will be on that level and you can always tell your grands: "you know, when I was a a young cat, I saw him in concert!" And your grandkids will think you're crazy, but you'll know better.<P>BLING! BLING!<P>I AM BLACK MUSIC <P>"Ima put a curse on you. Might as well cause honestly, don't want no one to have you but me....." Sleepy's Theme <P>"Now, who else wanna fuck with Hollywood Coles?"- Dre/Kast<P>"Guess I shoulda known by the way you parked your car sideways that it wouldn't last." - Prince<P>"If trouble were money, I swear I'd be a millionaire" - Stokely/MintCondition<P>"The quickest way to fire's heart, is through her ears" - fire<P>"But, here I is slaving away for the man instead of entertaining the masses." - fire<P>"Bitch, tone this!" - Stress<P>

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

dr_no

Fri Mar-03-00 10:33 AM

13. "damn didnt know"
In response to Reply # 10

d'ang is supposed to be here in charlotte on april 30th.if you guys complain enough(pressure) maybe by the time he gets here they drop the ticket price.lol.yo i'm checkin out the roots march 18th.YO ?LOVE ARE YOU DOING DOUBLE DUTY?

C_Jon
Charter member
566 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 10:54 AM

14. "Not even trippin"
In response to Reply # 0

I got my tickets and i am hecka juiced!!<BR>At first i was mad because they are in the back, but now i am not even trippin because this concert is about to be off the hook. instead of feelin bad for myself, i am going to feek bad for the people who did not get any tickets , bump that. I am so juiced just to be in the building for the concert and is going to be live.<BR>See ya'll soon

Two

Fri Mar-03-00 11:13 AM

18. "Chicago Show"
In response to Reply # 14

Who do we get as an appetizer to D. Mos or Tip?

illmatic
Charter member
226 posts
Fri Mar-03-00 11:05 AM

16. "HAAAA! My tix were 39...and theyre the high end too!...."
In response to Reply # 0

sucks for u . Peace.<P>"If the streets were college, some MC's would fail." -GURU<P><BR>

missphilippinethang

Fri Mar-03-00 11:11 AM

17. "biz karlee (me) hopes the tickets ain't sold out!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

first and foremost...i am known as BIZ KARLEE, it just so happens that i cant register on my new account so i gotta use this corny name...<BR> anyway,dayum people...stop complaining about ticket prices...dangelo and mos gotta eat too!!! i mean what i would not do to see d's naked body and harmonizing voice...live!!! i guess only females can feel me on this one...no im not a groupie!!!<P>okay...have you heard of a born again christian, well im a born again okayplayer board poster/reader so i still don't have a quote!!!<P> peace, biz<P>

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Tue Mar-07-00 08:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
21. "At least..........."
In response to Reply # 17

.....your getting a show. Shit, i would gladly pay 45-50 (or more) bones to see this show. I'm still waiting to see if the Voodoo tour is going to hit Seattle. When it does, I will be wearing a big ass kool-aid smile on my face to the ticket box office singing,"Left and Right, Up and Down". Y'all complaining, need to be grateful he's even playing in yo' town. Peace and Love people.

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

Shai4NY

Tue Mar-07-00 12:04 PM

22. "Thas word!"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean I was willing to pay $60 for the tickets in NY but soon afta I found out they add all these extra convenience, etc charges I'm like umm how you put tax on concert tickets damn..want money for everything..and for people like me with no jobs thas jus not kosher...anywho i settled for the 45$ ones which came up to like 56 total bout hunnit somethin for 2..i'm gonna see my D' regardless so i'm coo..I may need binoculars from where I'm sitting but hey thas the price to pay!<P>"He done worked a root..Deep, down in my soul, <BR>a sensual, spritual one that completes me as a whole"--Me (4 D' of course <P><BR>

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26431 Previous topic | Next topic