Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13428186

Subject: "Depends on the company and role. Is there is a "Senior" " Previous topic | Next topic
soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Mar-23-21 11:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Depends on the company and role. Is there is a "Senior" "
In response to In response to 0

title available, have you had peers who had your same title who got promoted while you didn't? Is there a reason why? If you don't know that reason, having honest discussions with your manager would be a good idea - being sure they know what your short and long term career goals are, and discussing the plan with them is important. A good manager would be prompting you for those types of discussions, but it also shows initiative if you're bringing it up.

If there is a Senior title for your role, what is it that Seniors do that you don't? Additional responsibility? Projects? In addition to your manager, talk to those Seniors. If it interests you, find out how you can help with some of that additional work - volunteer for a project, figure out what your team's annual objectives are and think about how you can have an impact.

The corporate world is a game - if you're in it then you might as well play to your advantage. Don't sit back expecting things to be handed to you. Most jobs don't give promotions purely on tenure/seniority - they are looking at the people who are making a visible impact outside of what is assigned to them. And in some cases you need to apply for a different role (either within the same company or elsewhere) to make big jumps in salary. I've never gotten more than around 4% raises in salary on a year to year basis while in the same role, regardless of my performance. My big salary jumps (20-25%) have been from applying for different roles (in my case within the same company, but don't be afraid to branch out.)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Is it bad that I've never had a promotion? [View all] , double negative, Tue Mar-23-21 08:37 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I’ll take money over a title/promotion
Mar 23rd 2021
yeah a title/promotion is usually more responsibility and exposes you...
Mar 23rd 2021
      I prolly messed up
Mar 23rd 2021
It is - it means you have bad management
Mar 23rd 2021
its an element. I'm the odd man out.
Mar 23rd 2021
True, everybody needs a next level to strive for
Mar 23rd 2021
      nah, everybody doesn't want that.
Mar 23rd 2021
Generally, you want to show movement
Mar 23rd 2021
There is no senior...there was no title before I was hired.
Mar 23rd 2021
Pay is short term, title is long term
Mar 23rd 2021
On linkedin, I already call myself "Senior_______"
Mar 23rd 2021
      That may be problematic
Mar 23rd 2021
           I hear you...
Mar 23rd 2021
Double edged sword.....
Mar 23rd 2021
Generally yes