Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26897

Subject: "EFF YOU!!!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
micah

Sat Feb-12-00 01:34 PM

18. "EFF YOU!!!"
In response to In response to 16

Shut the eff up, you Tupac post-mortem nut guzzler!!! DIE SLOW!!! <P>Oh wait, this isn't Davey D's. <P>Ummm... in that case, lemme say this. Stop hating on Com cause he doesn't have an overpowering voice. I see him as much a spoken-word poet as an emcee, and his voice and flow fit tracks perfectly to me. Even if his words don't always fall on the downbeat, they always have a pattern. Plus, he's deep. Maybe you weren't impressed by that kid's breakdown of the "Love of My Life" verse, but I was. I caught most of that stuff myself, but just to see it broken down like that. You see that Com simply does not waste words. Every word, every phrase, has a meaning of its own. <P>It's like this. For most albums you listen to, the emcee says something deep, has four or so bars of filler lines, then says something deep again, and so on. So our listening span is like this. We hear a dope line from an average emcee, and we think in our heads, "Yo, that was tight..." And while we're thinking about how tight the line was, the emcee is spitting filler. So we're not missing anything. But with Com, it's like, he says something tight, you think, "Yo, that was tight..." But while you're thinking, he says something even nicer than the first line. That's how so much of the wordplay Com spits gets missed or overlooked. Cause our attention spans aren't programmed to listen to an emcee putting meaning into every last line. Does this ish make sense? If not, then ask quest. He gets paid to defend "Voodoo" and promote "Like Water for Chocolate" eight hours a day on okayplayer.com, so he'd probably have a better answer to your question.<P>---------------------------<BR>"kameleons play the wrong side of the fence, switchin like clark kent when the drama commence..."<BR>- inspectah deck<P>"words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."<BR>- nathaniel hawthorne<P>"whatever happens it was written, meaning God meant it..." <BR>- nasir jones

Printer-friendly copy

Why is common the ish? [View all] , Kameleon, Thu Feb-10-00 05:10 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
much appreciated....
Feb 10th 2000
Alright...
BTMBQHKDR
Feb 10th 2000
Where i am coming from
Kameleon
Feb 10th 2000
      a look a Common
Feb 10th 2000
      what you need to know about COmmon
WhizDumb
Feb 10th 2000
      seriously
Feb 11th 2000
      may i
Feb 11th 2000
yall remeber when he said
Feb 11th 2000
You see, that's why I love okayplayer
P_Hen
Feb 12th 2000
I'm as worthy as James, not that good with names
Feb 15th 2000
illmatic was good but...
bananaman
Feb 11th 2000
the answer is simple
DAprofitOFthought
Feb 11th 2000
Personal query
Feb 11th 2000
get resurrection
knicksrule
Feb 11th 2000
first off...
Kameleon
Feb 11th 2000
This Her thing with common ....
Feb 12th 2000
      i am not sure what you are replying to.
Kameleon
Feb 12th 2000
           But this is a entertainment industry
Feb 12th 2000

please read this
sohrab
Feb 12th 2000
You Wanna See Common Go Multi-platinum Plus
Feb 14th 2000
cuz he from the GO.....
warmfunk
Feb 15th 2000
Trully Impressed!!
Enigma_JA
Feb 23rd 2000
dreaming to it...
Feb 24th 2000

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26897 Previous topic | Next topic