Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26897

Subject: "Where i am coming from" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Kameleon

Thu Feb-10-00 07:11 PM

3. "Where i am coming from"
In response to In response to 2

this is my take. i have heard all the joints you mentioned. all of them are ill hands down. and the way that he talks about his love of hip hop "the art" and not hip hop "the way to get paid" in this day and age is beyond noble, but when i think of illmatic and nas (before he got paid) i think of an mc that paints pictures like no one else, he had flow and delivery, voice, and even if you weren't from the projects, cats could "see" what he was talking about. <P>Maybe my issue now and what it has always been is that i am not completely down with Common's flow and voice. which of course is not the end all be all of hip hop or else cats like Big Pun and others really would be the great MC's. BUT from hearing resurrection and a litte of "one day" i hear alot of catch phrases "get up stand up" etc.... in his songs. which to me, seems like a lack of creativity. <P>My favorite MC is Inspectah Deck aka the rebel INS. to me, he combines ridiculous lines with a hot flow and voice. that is why i think he is great.maybe i just have to get used to Common's style like i did with the Roots and respect him for coming on a different tip that other MC's, but does different make you ill? what i am saying is just cuz he is not lil wayne or puffy does not mean his is one of the best in anything other than relative terms.<P>now as i sit back and listen to the resurrection album, more and more i begin to see how he rolls.<BR>but i am still not sure i wanna put him up there on that platform of great rappers. 2Pac was not that great of a lyricist, but he spoke to the masses in a way that made him rise above the rest. I am not saying that i dont think that this applies to common, because if it does, then i respect that. But i want to know how you all break it down.<P>Kameleon

Printer-friendly copy

Why is common the ish? [View all] , Kameleon, Thu Feb-10-00 05:10 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
much appreciated....
Feb 10th 2000
Alright...
BTMBQHKDR
Feb 10th 2000
      a look a Common
Feb 10th 2000
      what you need to know about COmmon
WhizDumb
Feb 10th 2000
      seriously
Feb 11th 2000
      may i
Feb 11th 2000
yall remeber when he said
Feb 11th 2000
You see, that's why I love okayplayer
P_Hen
Feb 12th 2000
I'm as worthy as James, not that good with names
Feb 15th 2000
illmatic was good but...
bananaman
Feb 11th 2000
the answer is simple
DAprofitOFthought
Feb 11th 2000
Personal query
Feb 11th 2000
get resurrection
knicksrule
Feb 11th 2000
first off...
Kameleon
Feb 11th 2000
This Her thing with common ....
Feb 12th 2000
      i am not sure what you are replying to.
Kameleon
Feb 12th 2000
           But this is a entertainment industry
Feb 12th 2000
           EFF YOU!!!
micah
Feb 12th 2000
please read this
sohrab
Feb 12th 2000
You Wanna See Common Go Multi-platinum Plus
Feb 14th 2000
cuz he from the GO.....
warmfunk
Feb 15th 2000
Trully Impressed!!
Enigma_JA
Feb 23rd 2000
dreaming to it...
Feb 24th 2000

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26897 Previous topic | Next topic