Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2397716

Subject: "I hope the Bears get rid of Cutler" Search result list | First match | Last match
COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I hope the Bears get rid of Cutler"
Mon Dec-08-14 05:57 PM by COOLEHMAGAZINE

Not because he is the problem, but because we have some of the stupidest fans and media types of any fanbase in sports easily. And of course, bad ownership, bad coaching and a bad GM to boot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000439530/article/bears-have-case-of-buyers-remorse-with-jay-cutler

I remember when fans/media complained Urlacher was over the hill and a stat padding bum who "dissed the fans". So they ditched Brian and promptly became the worst defense in Bears history.

Then last year Peppers was a bum who didn't care or try and needed to be shipped out pronto! Now he is killing it on the Packers, and we are the 2nd worst defense in NFL history.

Now, of course, if we just get rid of Jay Cutler for a 5th round pick or just cut him and eat the cap penalty, we will be on our way to the Superbowl!

Literally, a team that is good at NOTHING, and all the focus is on a QB who while flawed, is somewhere in that 2nd tier of QB's with Ryan, Eli, Stafford, Palmer, Flacco, who are only as good as the talent you put around them. They can play up to the level of their teammates, or down, but they aren't going to singlehandedly make everyone else better. Of course, the list of QBs who can do that are Aaron Rodgers, Manning, Brady...in a stretch you could include Wilson and Luck, maybe Rivers (I wouldn't include Rivers but hey). So...3-5 guys at most.

Now people are talking about the Bears trying to get a new QB. Meanwhile we give up 40+ points on the regular, can't rush the passer, can't tackle, can't get off blocks, can't block, don't run the ball ever and have a garbage roster with gaping holes at safety year-in and year-out all presided over by an abysmal coaching staff.

Even Redskins fans are not a dumb as Bears fans/media.

A few years ago we were 10-6 before these clowns ran Lovie out of town along with Urlacher. Lord only knows the next time Chicago will see a Bears team anywhere near .500

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We ain't getting rid of cutler and I agree QB ain't the whole problem
Dec 08th 2014
RE: We ain't getting rid of cutler and I agree QB ain't the whole proble...
Dec 08th 2014
Yep....
Dec 08th 2014
RE: Yep....
Dec 08th 2014
      RE: Yep....
Dec 08th 2014
like I said from the beginning via OKSports poll
Dec 09th 2014
RE: like I said from the beginning via OKSports poll
Dec 09th 2014
      RE: like I said from the beginning via OKSports poll
Dec 09th 2014
What did CUTLER EVER DO to earn this loyalty!?!?!?!
Dec 09th 2014
RE: What did CUTLER EVER DO to earn this loyalty!?!?!?!
Dec 09th 2014
RE: What did CUTLER EVER DO to earn this loyalty!?!?!?!
Dec 09th 2014
No Offense, Bears (Part One) (swipe)
Dec 09th 2014
No Offense, Bears (Part Two) (swipe)
Dec 09th 2014
Numbers to know as the Bears season sputters to an end (swipe)
Dec 09th 2014
RE: Numbers to know as the Bears season sputters to an end (swipe)
Dec 09th 2014
      It's weird to think that Cutler is the best best QB the Bears have ever
Dec 09th 2014
On Peppers
Dec 09th 2014
RE: On Peppers
Dec 09th 2014
is Cutler *really* on par with those guys?
Dec 09th 2014
RE: is Cutler *really* on par with those guys?
Dec 09th 2014
RE: I hope the Bears get rid of Cutler
Dec 16th 2014

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 07:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We ain't getting rid of cutler and I agree QB ain't the whole problem "
In response to Reply # 0

He is leading the league in to's tho
So he isn't above question

We messed up and gambled our future on old FA's
And drafted guys who mostly didn't pan out
Shit happens

Gotta draft better and stop signing old heads

Urlacher ran himself outta town
With that asking price

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 07:18 PM

2. "RE: We ain't getting rid of cutler and I agree QB ain't the whole proble..."
In response to Reply # 1

>He is leading the league in to's tho
>So he isn't above question

Bears are a bad football team. Only person above question is probably Kyle Long...Forte too, I guess.

>
>We messed up and gambled our future on old FA's

Yes and no.

Lamarr Houston is fairly young and he was a failure as I predicted. Allen is old and failed even worse. Ratliff is old and has been one of few reliable players. DJ Williams is old and has been a non factor.

Not sure who the other "old heads" you are thinking of are but I'd say age has been less the problem than terrible schemes and bad talent evaluation. Our young FA's have been just as much of a mixed bag (Willie Young pretty good, Mundy meanwhile has been unremarkable)

>And drafted guys who mostly didn't pan out
>Shit happens

Agreed on this.

>Gotta draft better and stop signing old heads
>
>
>Urlacher ran himself outta town
>With that asking price

I'm pretty sure they didn't want him back but the inclusion of Urlacher was just to establish how shortsighted our fans/media coverage has been.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 07:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Yep...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-08-14 07:25 PM by murph71

I'm convinced that Bears fans (and Bears brass) r clinically stupid. And u r right for the most part. Bears fans are quick to play the blame game and not really deal with what's right under their nose....

Letting Peppers go was silly. Letting Hester go was silly....However, letting Lac' go made more sense at that time. I really don't have any beef with that...

But shit....Cutler, who has been shaky, is going through his career lows under Trestman....

I keep telling these idiotic fans. The only three QB's I know that can win without a running game r Peyton, Brady and Rogers. That's it. Cutler thrives when he has a running game. But he's not that dude that can throw it 70 percent of the time. He will turn it over.

The Bears are losing because of two reasons: a lack of running game (i.e. bad coaching) and a sucky ass defense.....What's fucked up is we actually have a Pro Bowl caliber running back. But Trestman's clueless ass has used him more in the passing game than in the running game. It's laughable.

We gotta let Trestman walk...Get a coach that understands how to run a team at Soldier's Field, draft on defense, and go for a more balanced attack instead of this pass happy shit which is not conducive to Chicago's weather....

It is what it is...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 07:41 PM

4. "RE: Yep...."
In response to Reply # 3

You are forgetting about the fact that our passing game also sucks due to poor protection (our sack numbers are about the same as MArtz's last year) and a receiving corps that lacks speed and depth.

And also, our pass plays are incredibly predictable. Nothing deep, little creativity, it's coaching and playcalling too, even beyond the obvious abandonment of the run.

murph71
23113 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 07:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Yep...."
In response to Reply # 4

>You are forgetting about the fact that our passing game also
>sucks due to poor protection (our sack numbers are about the
>same as MArtz's last year) and a receiving corps that lacks
>speed and depth.

Well, that goes without saying.....Our passing game is suffering because we r not going for a more balanced attack....It's a domino effect.

>And also, our pass plays are incredibly predictable. Nothing
>deep, little creativity, it's coaching and playcalling too,
>even beyond the obvious abandonment of the run.

Yes! Our pass plays r indeed predictable. Bottom line. We are not a good team. We got the talent, but we are stumbling around looking clueless. Start with letting Trestman go and work from there...

PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 11:53 AM

6. "like I said from the beginning via OKSports poll"
In response to Reply # 0

We gave up too much for Cutler.

Those 2 first rounders

Kyle Orton

I just watched Orton manage to manage a team with not even half the talent we have on offense to a better record.

All of the moves Bears fans were against this past offseason had to be done, why...

...because these idiots made him the highest paid QB in the entire league.

You can't afford a defense.

This offense is paid to score. The dumb Bears fans were the ones who wanted Lovie gone...Urlacher gone and wanted some pretty offense for their fantasy points.

I'm a Bears fan and I'm happy with us winning every single game 7-0 or 3-0 and shutting out teams.

We could have easily.....EASILY kept Kyle Orton and drafted Clay Matthews or Michael Over in 09 and Dez Bryant in 2010 and been in a better position than we are now.

But noooo.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 02:29 PM

10. "RE: like I said from the beginning via OKSports poll"
In response to Reply # 6

>We gave up too much for Cutler.
>
>Those 2 first rounders
>

One of those picks would have been used on a QB, make no mistake.

>Kyle Orton
>
>I just watched Orton manage to manage a team with not even
>half the talent we have on offense to a better record.
>

Bills have a 100X better defense, a better oline and are not that far off in terms of receivers.

I mean, anyone can do what you are doing. I watched Jay Cutler "lead" a team with a fraction of the "talent we have now" to the NFCCG just a couple years ago.

Without context it's not saying much. And all this offensive talent everyone constantly harps on is more myth than reality. MArshall injured all year, Jeffery 1 great year in 3 years in the league, Bennett a good player but not elite or anything. Forte a good multipurpose back but we dont run. And the oline is below average. No depth at receiver, so the slot position has been a turnstile.

There is talent on this offense to some degree sure, but people act like this is the Aikman's Cowboys or something.

>All of the moves Bears fans were against this past offseason
>had to be done, why...
>
>...because these idiots made him the highest paid QB in the
>entire league.
>
>You can't afford a defense.

This is just patently false. We spent a grip of money on defense! Seriously, in all honesty, do you follow this team at all?

Jared Allen
Lamarr Houston
Willie Young
Ryan Mundy
DJ Williams
J. Ratliff

All got contracts this offseason, with the top two three guys pulling in some significant cash. They tried to get Michael Bennett off the HAwks but he took less money to stay in Seattle. How many free agents were they going to sign??

We can disagree but lets not make shit up.

>This offense is paid to score. The dumb Bears fans were the
>ones who wanted Lovie gone...Urlacher gone and wanted some
>pretty offense for their fantasy points.
>

Doesn't refer to me so okay

>
>I'm a Bears fan and I'm happy with us winning every single
>game 7-0 or 3-0 and shutting out teams.
>
>We could have easily.....EASILY kept Kyle Orton and drafted
>Clay Matthews or Michael Over in 09 and Dez Bryant in 2010 and
>been in a better position than we are now.
>
>But noooo.

Have you paid attention to how this team has drafted over the last decade, especially under the guy you think would have turned the picks we used on Cutler into gold of some kind?

I'm guessing you haven't

And if you think Lovie would still be coaching here if Orton had been the QB, you are tripping.

They would have drafted a QB, blown the other pick and we all know this.

By the way, Clay Matthews is a 3-4 OLB, highly doubt Lovie would have any use for that in his scheme.

That said, it's okay to disagree about should we have got Cutler to begin with. It was a gamble. That said, Cutler isn't at what is wrong with this team right today.

PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 07:16 PM

19. "RE: like I said from the beginning via OKSports poll"
In response to Reply # 10

>>We gave up too much for Cutler.
>>
>>Those 2 first rounders
>>
>
>One of those picks would have been used on a QB, make no
>mistake.
>
The first year, no...the QB drop off was immense. They would have probably gone with Oher to give Orton some protection and got another QB via freeagency or later round.

>>Kyle Orton
>>
>>I just watched Orton manage to manage a team with not even
>>half the talent we have on offense to a better record.
>>
>
>Bills have a 100X better defense, a better oline and are not
>that far off in terms of receivers.
>
>I mean, anyone can do what you are doing. I watched Jay Cutler
>"lead" a team with a fraction of the "talent we have now" to
>the NFCCG just a couple years ago.
>
>Without context it's not saying much. And all this offensive
>talent everyone constantly harps on is more myth than reality.
>MArshall injured all year, Jeffery 1 great year in 3 years in
>the league, Bennett a good player but not elite or anything.
>Forte a good multipurpose back but we dont run. And the oline
>is below average. No depth at receiver, so the slot position
>has been a turnstile.
>
>There is talent on this offense to some degree sure, but
>people act like this is the Aikman's Cowboys or something.
>

GTFOH, folks was nutting up over Jeffrey and Marshall and Forte was a top 3 back a year ago. We ran last yet right...well mostly with McCown at QB I guess.

Context is what I am talking about. Last season Cutler had a struggling D or shall I say Cutler/McCown and their offense looked very promising while the D not so much. This season the D has been more aggressive but also secondary was shitty and injuries so we are doing much worse with Cutler at the helm all season (yet he shoulders no blame?)

When our D was great, Cutler could march any bumblefucks at WR to the playoffs it seems...

Context

D>O

>>All of the moves Bears fans were against this past offseason
>>had to be done, why...
>>
>>...because these idiots made him the highest paid QB in the
>>entire league.
>>
>>You can't afford a defense.
>
>This is just patently false. We spent a grip of money on
>defense! Seriously, in all honesty, do you follow this team at
>all?
>
>Jared Allen
>Lamarr Houston
>Willie Young
>Ryan Mundy
>DJ Williams
>J. Ratliff
>
>All got contracts this offseason, with the top two three guys
>pulling in some significant cash. They tried to get Michael
>Bennett off the HAwks but he took less money to stay in
>Seattle. How many free agents were they going to sign??
>
>We can disagree but lets not make shit up.

WASTED MONEY G

They could have got Willie Young (by far the most productive of the bunch) for pennies and STILL kept Peppers. It was Emery who thought Peppers was washed up so instead of giving him 18 mill, you spend that same 18 million on Houston and Allen??? the rest of that trash is just trash, though Ratliff is decent but old and I would have preferred Melton...

don't ever question my Bears fandom again btw.

We passed up on top FA secondary players (our MAIN need) because they wanted to take chances on the D line and shifting money over.

no way you can tell me if they just give McCown 4-5 million or some other game manager 4-5 million for a year or two and have another 10-15 million to play with, they wouldn't have been a player for a Jarius Byrd or Vontae Davis TJ Ward Aquib Talib...

they overspent on scraps, or shifted the Peppers and Hester money over.

>
>>This offense is paid to score. The dumb Bears fans were the
>>ones who wanted Lovie gone...Urlacher gone and wanted some
>>pretty offense for their fantasy points.
>>
>
>Doesn't refer to me so okay
>
>>
>>I'm a Bears fan and I'm happy with us winning every single
>>game 7-0 or 3-0 and shutting out teams.
>>
>>We could have easily.....EASILY kept Kyle Orton and drafted
>>Clay Matthews or Michael Over in 09 and Dez Bryant in 2010
>and
>>been in a better position than we are now.
>>
>>But noooo.
>
>Have you paid attention to how this team has drafted over the
>last decade, especially under the guy you think would have
>turned the picks we used on Cutler into gold of some kind?
>
>I'm guessing you haven't
>
you talking about the guy who drafted Briggs, Tillman, Knox, Hester, Forte, Harris, Orton...that guy?

>And if you think Lovie would still be coaching here if Orton
>had been the QB, you are tripping.
>
>They would have drafted a QB, blown the other pick and we all
>know this.
>
>By the way, Clay Matthews is a 3-4 OLB, highly doubt Lovie
>would have any use for that in his scheme.
>

Clay would be no worse than Hunter Hillenmeyer at LB and unfortunately Gaines Adams passed away that next offseason when they tried to trade for him which would have helped on the D Line.

I am not saying Clay would have been an automatic pic...he was there, but Oher would have been a nice look.

They Bears in 2009 weren't a horrible team. At all.

Now...we are horrible with the highest paid QB.

Bears so-called fans got what they wanted.

>That said, it's okay to disagree about should we have got
>Cutler to begin with. It was a gamble. That said, Cutler isn't
>at what is wrong with this team right today.

Cutler is what's wrong.

is he the only thing wrong...no...

but now we are stuck.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 01:28 PM

7. "What did CUTLER EVER DO to earn this loyalty!?!?!?! "
In response to Reply # 0

Y'all riding him MORE THAN you did Lovie, when
HALL OF FAMERS have SAID that Lovie is the reason
the Bears were good, took scrub ass Grossman to the
fucking SUPER BOWL!!?!?

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

murph71
23113 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 02:06 PM

8. "RE: What did CUTLER EVER DO to earn this loyalty!?!?!?! "
In response to Reply # 7

Again...u barking up the wrong tree...Most Bears fans on THIS SITE wanted Lovie to stay and did not like the way he was treated....

U should go after the racists sports radio callers and white columnists that were beating up on Lovie....

Leave us out of it...

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 02:16 PM

9. "RE: What did CUTLER EVER DO to earn this loyalty!?!?!?! "
In response to Reply # 7

Your inability to actually read due to how furiously you type your inane drivel, combined with the proven fact that you know nothing about professional football are combining into a perfect storm here.

I am the biggest Lovie Smith fan on the site. I said the whole time I wanted to keep him. He got canned cause it's the NFL and that's what happens but it was a bad move all the way, and I said it from the jump.

In conclusion, apply your lips to my penis and do what you do.

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 02:50 PM

11. "No Offense, Bears (Part One) (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

This was posted prior to the Dallas game.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/durkin-no-offense-bears-part-one/

No Offense, Bears (Part One)
By Dan Durkin
December 2, 2014 9:57 AM

(CBS) The Bears’ 2014 season can only be described as a disappointment.

Considering this failure encompasses every aspect of the football operations, from personnel evaluation to coaching to execution, there’s enough blame to blanket the area between Halas Hall and Soldier Field.

Every phase has played a part in the collective collapse, but one reality can’t be overlooked — this team was built under the assumption that the offense would score points quickly and efficiently and thus make opponents one-dimensional, allowing the newly purchased pass rush to pin its ears back and get to the passer.

Save for one Sunday afternoon in Atlanta, that plan hasn’t materialized.

Observers are fond of distilling down the struggles to a singular source, but that’s just impractical when it comes to explaining why in the second year of coach Marc Trestman’s offensive installation, the Bears offense is averaging nearly five fewer points per game this season compared to last season. The vast majority of the discussion has centered around how bad the offense has been, but not enough on the why.

In an attempt to be pragmatic in sharing my observations about what’s gone wrong, I turned to two objective sources of information — data and film.

What do the statistics say?

All numbers set forth are a year-over-year comparison of where the Bears were at this point last season compared to where they are this season.

Through 12 games, the Bears have executed four fewer offensive drives (137 against 141) than they did last season and are scoring points with less efficiency. In 2014, they’ve scored points on 39 drives (30 touchdowns, nine field goals), whereas last year, they scored points on 53 drives (32 touchdowns, 21 field goals).

Why are the Bears scoring less frequently on their drives?

Some numbers seem inconsequential. The Bears have thrown only one fewer pass than they did last year (448 against 449) and are running the ball slightly less (274 times against 298 times) and gaining fewer yards (4.1 per carry against 4.4 per carry) when they do. They’re being sacked at a higher rate (30 times against 21 times) and their yards per passing attempt average is down slightly (6.8 yards against 7.4 yards).

However, two statistics stand out — turnovers and offensive penalties.

This season, the Bears have turned the ball over 23 times (compared to 16 last season at this time), which opponents have turned into 85 points (compared to 40 last year). That averages out to giving opposing offenses two extra drives and gifting them a touchdown per game.

Finishing drives with a punt is one thing, but killing drives due to receivers and the quarterback not being on the same page, poor decision-making or shoddy ball security is losing football.

The Bears have committed 42 offensive penalties this season (compared to 28 last year at this time), which already eclipses last season’s total of 37. Their next false start penalty will double last season’s total of nine. Such numbers speak to an overall lack of discipline and focus. Furthermore, the Bears play like a fragile offense that’s unable to work through adversity and move on from mental mistakes to keep drives alive.

Surely, more consistency and resiliency should be expected from a starting offensive unit that costs $55.6 million, the second-highest price tag for an offense league-wide.

What does the personnel show on film?

To be crystal clear, there’s enough talent on the current roster to compete and succeed. However, there were some missed or over-evaluations of the assembled talent, as there are pieces missing.

Last season, the Bears benefited from stability along the offensive line more than anything else, as the same five players started all 16 games. Continuity can make up for shortcomings, as knowing the tendencies of the person next to you helps develop communication and trust, which are crucial to effective line play.

This season, the Bears have used seven different starting combinations along the offensive line, which has had an adverse effect on the offense. Right tackle was a problem area for the Bears last year, and it remains the same this season.

Jordan Mills has given up the most quarterback sacks and has the most penalties among the group. Injuries have hampered Mills this season, but even when healthy last season, he demonstrated the same issues — sloppy footwork, inconsistent hand placement, unbalanced when anchoring and an inability to mirror on the edge.

Michael Ola has displayed versatility, starting games at left guard, left tackle and right tackle, which makes him an ideal swing player. However, it’s clear the team must make a concerted effort to shore up this position in the offseason. Perhaps they should consider moving right guard Kyle Long out to the edge, as he has emerged as both the team’s best pass protector and overall lineman.

This isn’t to give left tackle Jermon Bushrod or center Roberto Garza a pass for their performances, either. Granted, the Bears frequently keep Bushrod “on an island” as they slide and create their three-man blocking surfaces to the right. The Bears paid Bushrod to win one-on-one matchups, but he’s had his own issues in both pass pro sets and run blocking.

Garza is a leader and a has a high football IQ, but it’s clear the end is near. Garza can struggle to get movement on shade techniques in the run game and doesn’t have the feet to match some of the younger defensive tackles he faces.

Consequently, the Bears are forced to use a sixth offensive lineman on about 15 percent of their snaps per game to both create gaps in the run game and provide help on the edge in the passing game. In turn, this takes an eligible receiver out of the mix.

Trestman is a protect-first play-caller who uses running back Matt Forte on check releases, which means the Bears keep six or seven in to protect against five or six rushers, leaving five or six defenders to cover (sometimes just) three eligible receivers. Those numbers clearly don’t favor the offense and allow defenses to bracket with both deep and underneath defenders.

Thus, the Bears need a true second tight end who can contribute both as an in-line or “Y” as well as a “F” or “H” back. The Bears started the season with Matthew Mulligan (who was cut) and Dante Rosario to function in these roles as fullback Tony Fiammetta (released with injury settlement) was never healthy enough to play.

The Bears’ two-back running game now has a misfit piece with Rosario acting as the lead back, and their two-tight end packages frequently feature an offensive tackle.

Finally, the Bears lack speed at the wide receiver position. Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery win by out-leveraging defenders, not by out-running them.

Without a true burner in their preferred 11 (one running back, one tight end, three wide receiver) personnel grouping who can take the top off of a defense, the Bears don’t occupy the safety frequently enough for the inside-breaking routes run by No. 1 (closest to the sideline) receivers to materialize.

Granted, Marshall and Jeffery have played the majority of the season with nagging injuries, but this only makes the need for more speed at wide receiver more glaring. Because it takes them longer to get into and out of their breaks and settle into the soft spots in zone defenses, that requires the offensive line to hold their blocks a click longer and quarterback Jay Cutler to trust the protection to hold, which doesn’t always happen.

In the end, teams can effectively and comfortably drop into their split-safety coverage shells and run them tighter to the line of scrimmage, which shrinks the area that the Bears offense has to operate within.

Clearly, there’s been a variety of factors at play with the sputtering offense that span personnel, play-calling and execution.

In the next part of this series, we’ll take a closer look at what’s happening on the field using All-22 coaches film.

j0510
2315 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 03:00 PM

12. "No Offense, Bears (Part Two) (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

This was posted after the Dallas game.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/08/durkin-no-offense-bears-part-two/

No Offense, Bears (Part Two)
By Dan Durkin
December 8, 2014 10:42 AM

(CBS) In part one of my take on what’s at the root of the Bears offense’s regression this season, the focus was on the underlying statistics and personnel. In the final entry, I take a look the Bears’ imbalanced and predictable play-calling as well as step inside the film room to take a closer look at the on-field execution.

Heading into their Week 14 matchup against the Cowboys, the Bears ranked 31st in run-to-pass ratio (37.7 percent to 62.3 percent), ahead of just the lowly Oakland Raiders.

Considering the Bears ran the ball only 24 percent of their plays against the Cowboys, they’ve lowered their mark even more.

They say misery loves company, but no legitimate NFL offense shares statistical adjacency to the Raiders.

The Bears view their horizontal passing game as an extension of the running game. Relying on the passing game to consistently move the ball can lead to difficulties sustaining drives, which has certainly been an issue for the Bears this season.

Chicago coach Marc Trestman has paid lip service to the idea of being balanced, yet hasn’t achieved it. In turn, he’s willfully bypassed the Bears’ best offensive weapon — running back Matt Forte.

As pointed out in part one, the Bears’ lack of a second tight end who can function as both a physical in-line tight end as well as a H-back or fullback has limited their two-back running schemes like lead and isolation and turned them into a one-back running team that frequently runs from an off-set shotgun formation with linemen in a two-point stance.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/112.jpg?w=420&h=237

The Bears favor zone-blocked running schemes. This requires the offensive line to apply a set of blocking rules and work in concert to the play side, with the goal of getting movement at the point of attack. Forte has an aiming point on both inside and outside zone runs, so he presses the line of scrimmage and reads the setup of his blockers with a two-way go — a front-side crease or back-side cutback lane.

However, the line hasn’t been able to get a consistent push up front. Given Forte’s alignment (closer to the line of scrimmage and off-set) his options have been limited in between the tackles.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/210.jpg?w=420&h=237

Breaking tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage isn’t Forte’s running style. Consequently, the Bears have become somewhat gimmicky with their runs — using their ghost motion package that features jet sweeps and end-arounds. However, they run that series from the same formation and use the same motion, which defenses have picked up on.

Below is an example from the Bucs game, in which the Bears deploy their preferred 11 personnel grouping in a doubles exchange formation in a 2-by-2 set. Bucs slot cornerback Leonard Johnson signals the formation alert to the defense.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/3.png?w=420&h=235

Johnson is lined up over Brandon Marshall, but as Marquess Wilson starts in his ghost motion, Johnson leaves Marshall and heads for the weak-side A-gap, which is the aiming point for Forte on this play.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/4.png?w=420&h=234

Clearly, the Bucs knew exactly what this play was going to be prior to the ball being snapped, otherwise Johnson wouldn’t have left Marshall uncovered in the slot. Johnson flows to the A-gap and cuts off Forte’s running lane, forcing a cutback.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/6.png?w=420&h=235

Johnson is able to chase Forte down from behind and hold him to a one-yard gain.

Another example of the Bears’ predictable play calling came during the Packers game when Clay Matthews sniffed out a Chris Williams end-around and dropped him for an eight-yard loss. Matthews knew before the ball was snapped exactly what was coming, based on his path up the field, firing off the edge by playing a hammer technique.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/7.png?w=420&h=236

Matthews flew off the edge and targeted Williams in the backfield.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/8-p.png?w=420&h=237

He dropped him dead in his tracks for a loss.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/9.png?w=420&h=215

There was no hesitation from Matthews, who correctly read his keys — formation and motion alert — to take him directly to the ball carrier. This is another sign that the Bears don’t do enough self-scouting of their own tendencies.

Another issue with the Bears offense has been the absence of a vertical passing game. In general, receivers Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall win with leverage, not speed. But as discussed in part one, they’ve dealt with injuries for the majority of the season, which further complicates the team’s ability to consistently get chunks of yardage down the field.

Consequently, teams have played a lot of zone coverage to keep a top on the defense. Without a speed receiver to take the top off of the defense, the Bears have struggled to get vertical. Given the protection issues they’ve experienced along the offensive line, they’ve been using max protect schemes to try and get vertical.

The thought process is that it will take longer for receivers to get down the field, and they need to keep more in to protect to make the pocket hold up long enough. But the results have been low-percentage throws with the defense doubling and sometimes tripling the receivers out in routes.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/12.png?w=420&h=236

Rather than throwing deep balls to actually connect, the Bears are throwing them out of obligation in an attempt to keep the defense honest, which isn’t working.

The Bears are dialing up less of the vertical and three-level concepts they ran last season and using more shorter route combinations, typically with receivers facing Cutler as they catch the ball. This requires them to dig their cleats in the ground, pivot and try to break tackles to gain yardage. That’s not a sustainable approach to gain yards.

The last aspect that is frequently showing up on film is Cutler not seeing the field.

Cutler can read defenses, and he can work through his progressions. His issue is he doesn’t do it consistently. He will still revert back to his default setting of locking in on his primary read to come open and trying to force the ball in.

Cutler stares down Marshall throughout his dropback on this three-man seam/curl/flat route combination.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/13.png?w=420&h=237

He then forces a pass into the curl-flat zone, missing Jeffery wide open up the seam.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/14.png?w=420&h=230

Locking into his receivers also leads to lapses in Cutler’s mechanics, as he will commonly throw with his feet not set and his torso pointing at his target, opposed to his front shoulder. This leads to throws that are all arm that don’t arrive on target, even with elite arm strength.

This pass is an example of that very scenario. He’s locked in on Forte with a loose lower body framework — meanwhile, Santonio Holmes is wide open over the middle — on a pass that’s intercepted and returned for a pick-six.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/15.png?w=420&h=275

After 13 games, they’ve yet to strike a balance or find an identity. Trestman’s play-calling has been questionable and timid. The Bears willingly make themselves one-dimensional, which simplifies game planning for opposing defensive coordinators.

After two years on the job, it’s clear the Bears are not pointed in the right direction.

Obviously, there are major issues on defense and special teams, spanning scheme and personnel. But the undeniable fact was this team was predicated on being a dominant offense, which they’re nowhere near being.

Clearly, this has been one of the most disappointing seasons, purely based the expectations the team put on itself. Their 5-8 struggle this season calls into question just how in touch the current brain trust is with building a legitimate contender.

j0510
2315 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 03:05 PM

13. "Numbers to know as the Bears season sputters to an end (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-numbers-to-know-as-bears-season-sputters-to-an-end-20141209-story.html

Blitz Package: Numbers to know as the Bears season sputters to an end
By Dan Wiederer
December 9, 2014, 11:17 AM

Welcome back to “The Blitz Package,” your weekly destination for notable news, nuggets and intriguing Chicago Bears storylines. This week’s topic: the important statistical developments to keep an eye on during the season’s otherwise depressing home stretch.

Three games remain. Three mostly meaningful, potentially demoralizing, no-chance-of-being-canceled games.

So the Bears will press on with their disappointing season, hosting the Saints on Monday night, following with a home game against the Lions on Dec. 21 and closing the season in Minneapolis against the Vikings. Outdoors. On Dec. 28. In a showcase of two teams without playoff hopes.

Let’s just say, no one at Halas Hall is channeling their inner Bart Scott right now.

That said, there are still a handful of interesting plotlines to track and numbers to know. So with three games remaining, here are a dozen digits to refresh yourself on.

3,838: That’s the Bears’ single-season franchise record for passing yards, set in 1995 by Erik Kramer. Don’t look now, but that record seems destined to fall this month -- perhaps as early as Monday night. Jay Cutler currently has 3,446 passing yards through 13 games, needing just 393 more to pass Kramer. What cruel irony for the Bears it would be to have their passing yards mark broken in a season widely ridiculed for its shaky quarterback play and offensive failures.

378: That’s how many points the Bears’ defense has allowed so far this season, most by any team in the NFL. It also puts the Bears on track to give up more than 400 points in a season for just the third time in franchise history. The only other teams to do so? The 1997 Bears, which allowed 421 and the 2013 squad, which gave up 478. If you’re keeping track, 2013 wasn’t all that long ago.

16: That’s how many times in the past 20 seasons, including this one, that the Bears have missed the playoffs, a sobering reality that leaves them in rare company in the NFC. Since 1995, the only teams to have fewer than five playoff appearances are the Lions (four), Bills (four), Redskins (four), Cardinals (three), Raiders (three), Texans (two) and Browns (one). The Lions and Bills are still alive to reach the postseason this season. The Browns entered the league as an expansion team in 1998. The Texans did so in 2002.

74: That’s the reception total of Martellus Bennett, a career high and the most of any tight end in the NFL. Immediately behind Bennett are New England’s Rob Gronkowski (73), Carolina’s Greg Olsen (71) and New Orleans’ Jimmy Graham (68). With his 74 catches adding up to 821 yards and 6 touchdowns, Bennett has to be in the discussion to earn a Pro Bowl invitation.

86: Speaking of receptions and Pro Bowlers, Matt Forte’s 86 catches not only lead the team, they put him in position to set a new NFL record for receptions by a running back. Larry Centers set that record in 1995 with the Cardinals with 101 grabs. The only other running back to reach 100 catches in a season was San Diego’s LaDainian Tomlinson in 2003.

1,578: That’s Forte’s yardage total this season -- 854 on the ground, 724 through the air. He will need to record 422 yards over the final three games to reach 2,000. Only one Bear has ever surpassed 2,000 yards in a season -- Walter Payton did it four times with a high of 2,121 yards in 1977. Forte is averaging 121.3 yards from scrimmage per game this season.

28: That’s the most points the Bears have scored in a game this season – in Week 2 against the 49ers – leaving them as one of only four NFL teams that hasn’t reached the 30-point mark in a single game this season. The others: the Jaguars, Titans and Raiders. The last time a Bears team went an entire season without scoring 30 in a game was 2004, a 5-11 campaign under Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Terry Shea. In that season, the Bears used four different starting quarterbacks – Rex Grossman, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel and Chad Hutchinson.

19: That’s the Bears’ takeaway total this season, which ranks 18th in the NFL and includes four contests without a takeaway (all losses) and four others with only one turnover forced. During nine seasons under Lovie Smith, the Bears averaged 34 takeaways per season with their lowest total under Smith coming in 2009 when they forced only 28 on the way to a 7-9 record.

64: That’s the number of total tackles this season recorded by Shea McClellin, the Bears’ top draft choice in 2012 whose conversion into a linebacker hasn’t produced the impact the team had hoped. Team statistics also credit McClellin with 3 ½ tackles for loss, three quarterback pressures and one pass break-up.

7: That’s the number of different starting lineup combinations the Bears have had to use on their offensive line this season, a total that looks likely to tick upward again Monday with undrafted rookie Ryan Groy in position to start at left guard. A year ago, on the way to a new team-record in total yardage, the Bears’ started the same quintet on the offensive line for all 16 games.

2-1: That’s the Bears’ record against this season against the NFC South, widely thought of as the NFL’s worst division this season. Monday night’s contest against the Saints will give the Bears a chance to move to 3-1 against the South, which currently has New Orleans and Atlanta tied atop the division at 5-8.

25: That’s the number of Bears players on the current 53-man roster plus Injured Reserve whose contracts will expire after this season. That includes long-tenured standouts like cornerback Charles Tillman, and linebacker Lance Briggs, whose 12-season runs as Bears both appear to be over. But that list will also leave the front office with plenty of spring decisions to make on starters like safety Chris Conte and defensive tackle Stephen Paea and key reserves like Demontre Hurst, Brian de la Puente, Dante Rosario and Jimmy Clausen. And you can bet the Bears will move on from the over-30 players set to become free agents, a group that includes center Roberto Garza and linebacker D.J. Williams.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 03:18 PM

14. "RE: Numbers to know as the Bears season sputters to an end (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 13

Good shit, thanks.

This team is an absolute shit show.

I wish I could even think of a coach the Bears should hire but I can't. I would say Rex Ryan but a) they wont and b) the last thing we need is an attempt to switch into a 3-4 defense at this point when the few defensive players who seem even marginally promising (Willie Young, Christian Jones, Ferguson, Paea, Sutton) are all 4-3 guys.

j0510
2315 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 03:22 PM

15. "It's weird to think that Cutler is the best best QB the Bears have ever"
In response to Reply # 14

had, especially when you compare him to the rest of the best in the league.

j0510
2315 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 03:27 PM

16. "On Peppers"
In response to Reply # 0

The Bears cut him because of his cap hit (which would have been a little more than 18 mil. this season), and his age (34). Emery thought Peppers was on the decline (Peppers numbers were down last season) and thought he was not worth such a large hit against the cap.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 06:48 PM

17. "RE: On Peppers"
In response to Reply # 16

Sure, I thought they could have restructured but hey, I understood the move. What I didn't like was fans and media insisting Peppers was done or that he was a "Lovie guy" who hadn't bought in.

He played hard on a shit defense. He was a last minute John Kuhn block from getting us into the playoffs. If he had to go, at least it could have been without the smears and innuendo from fans and media. Next up is Lance Briggs, and I expect he will be done the same way. (To be clear here, I am not saying Bears brass shit on the guy at all)

Another one of the issues with a team this poorly coached is, it becomes very difficult to assess who can and cannot play. I find it hard to believe that the Bears don't have ANY good players on defense, but it is impossible to assess who is good and who isn't because the scheme is such garbage.

Similarly, on offense, the gameplans are so terrible that I can't help but think some of these guys are decent football players, but you would rarely be able to tell by watching.

The decline of the offensive line is the scariest part because right now we are back to the Martz era sack numbers. Gonna be hard to fix that, while upgrading our entire defense and drafting this "elite qb" everyone thinks is out there waiting for us.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35277 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 07:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "is Cutler *really* on par with those guys?"
In response to Reply # 0

His only 2 years in Chicago where he won anything were his least productive.

Literally the less yardage he threw for, the better they were.

Hilarious that the Bears traded Kyle Orton AND picks for him. They may as well be the same dude to me.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 07:48 PM

20. "RE: is Cutler *really* on par with those guys?"
In response to Reply # 18

I would say yes, more or less.

He might not be at the top of the category but he is somewhere in that tier.

Eli has led the league in picks twice.

Stafford has been surrounded by weapons most of his career and put up great numbers while crapping out regularly.

Ryan is less of a gunslinger but also less mobile and less of an arm.

I have been watching Kyle Orton's whole career. He is a solid player but he is nothing like Cutler, he is more like a middle-class Alex Smith.

Depending what you want at QB tho, could be the one for you.

But Cutler took a lesser Bears team to the NFCCG, Orton never came close.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:23 AM

21. "RE: I hope the Bears get rid of Cutler"
In response to Reply # 0

We will be starting Nick Foles next year.

At this point, the Cutler hate is so overwhelming (ESPN broadcast last night was just a dissertation on why Cutler is the cause of the Bears demise.

Reports seem to be that they will cut him or attempt to trade him for a 5th and presumably draft a QB with someone like Foles or Cassell as the placeholder.

CANT WAIT!

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2397716Search result list | First match | Last match