Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #746013

Subject: "Barbarian (Cregger, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86642 posts
Sun Sep-11-22 02:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Barbarian (Cregger, 2022)"

So for those of you who don't like my recommendations, let me be clear: I haven't seen this yet (seeing it today lol). But the word of mouth has been absolutely bananas-- I wasn't even considering checking this out, but a sizable number of people have told me to go see it, to go in blind, to try to avoid spoilers, because it's so fucked up and crazy and fun. So I'm going to go.

It's also at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, for those who care about that sort of thing. So it's just not the word of mouth I'm hearing, critics all seem to be digging it too. If you're looking for a fun, fucked up horror flick, maybe this is for you. (But, again: I haven't seen it yet.)

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
saw it. its good. go in as blind as possible.
Sep 11th 2022
lol yeah, the unpredictability is its best feature.
Sep 11th 2022
Genuinely scary
Sep 11th 2022
Geez, it's going to take a while to recover from this one. CONTEXT:
Sep 13th 2022
It was ah-ite
Sep 20th 2022
Streaming on HBO today
Oct 25th 2022
I was all in until hack ass *redacted* shows up. Spoiler
Oct 29th 2022
lmao, yeah, if you have a massive anti-Justin Long vendetta...
Oct 30th 2022
Dude looks like he's in perpetual puberty
Oct 30th 2022
      Isn't that point though?
Nov 07th 2022
           I guess, lol, you could argue that was the true horror for me
Nov 09th 2022
Says the guy who climbs mountains to defend Marvel
Nov 17th 2022
This was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.
Oct 31st 2022
The most interesting thing about this movie... (spoiler)
Nov 07th 2022
loved it
Nov 07th 2022
Went in blind and LOVED IT!
Nov 08th 2022
Absolute banger. By far the best part was:
Nov 08th 2022
A really good ‘talk to the screen’ movie
Nov 10th 2022
Going in blind made this such an awesome experience.
Nov 17th 2022

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Sep-11-22 05:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "saw it. its good. go in as blind as possible."
In response to Reply # 0

i saw the one main trailer beforehand. it doesnt necessarily spoil anything. but it does give up a bit as to the direction of the film. i think it wouldve been even more enjoyable if i just watched it without seeing the trailer.

this is def one of those viral horror movies that you cant wait to tell someone else to go see.

Frank Longo
86642 posts
Sun Sep-11-22 06:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lol yeah, the unpredictability is its best feature."
In response to Reply # 1

There's also an actor in it (would saying who's in it be a spoiler? I don't know, so I won't say) who is *woefully* underrated, and he appears unexpectedly after a long stretch of movie and is just a *delightful* addition the rest of the way.

Good time at the movie theater. A few good scares, a few laughs, a few completely bonkers moments. Definitely worth seeing.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12488 posts
Sun Sep-11-22 07:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Genuinely scary"
In response to Reply # 0

I don’t get scared by too many movies and I was on the edge of my seat for a lot of this. Agree with going in as blind as possible as there are a bunch of twists and turns. I’ll be curious to see how it holds my attention on a rewatch now that I know the twists, but either way, this was really well done.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6731 posts
Tue Sep-13-22 04:24 PM

4. "Geez, it's going to take a while to recover from this one. CONTEXT:"
In response to Reply # 0

The scariest part was the walk back to work from the theater. Those who have seen it will understand:

I saw the movie in a Megaplex that is one of the last surviving businesses in a once-thriving metropolitan mall that is now mostly boarded up and being torn down. The theater was completely empty and the bathroom was dark when I went in after the movie and the lights came on but the automatic soap dispenser started shrieking the moment I waved my hand under and didn't stop. I leave and walk through the mostly boarded up or under perpetual construction interior of the outdoor mall. Even though it's mostly empty of stores and people, they still have cheery mall music blaring.

I walk by what used to be the old Virgin Megastore, which decades ago used to be one of my favorite places to go, but after a succession of failing businesses has now just been completely ripped out of the wall, like a bomb went off.

In the courtyard, the children's play fountain is still shooting out squirts of water, but is deserted. This used to be a place where you would see hundreds of children on a summer day.

I make it back to my office building and see that the little on-site cafe has been closed permanently since I last was there. I enter the quiet lobby where they don't even have any one stationed because so many people work from home now. Anyway, luckily my office was populated and not post-apocalyptic feeling. But it's going to take a while to wash this eerie feeling away.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Sep-20-22 07:04 AM

5. "It was ah-ite"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved the originality of it, it just wasn't scary to me.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2900 posts
Tue Oct-25-22 11:31 AM

6. "Streaming on HBO today"
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44806 posts
Sat Oct-29-22 08:16 PM

7. "I was all in until hack ass *redacted* shows up. Spoiler"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Oct-29-22 08:27 PM by Cold Truth

Spoiler

-Justin Long is just about my least favorite actor ever. So he shows up and does his typically hackneyed Justin Long bullshit, and as usual, every second he’s on screen, I can’t wait for it to end. So there’s that, and he’s a terrible choice for this. At least it wasn’t Jay Burachel.

Be plays a complete piece of shit who gets serious comeuppance in the end, so I guess there’s that.

-Bill Skarsgard is wasted in this. He does *everything* a guy shouldn’t do when he doesn’t want to be seen as creepy. I suppose it was meant to be a misdirect, but IMO it was so thick that I knew he wasn’t the bad guy.

-I LOVED Georgina Campbell, and was genuinely upset when she got thrown off the ledge.

She’s the only reason this works for me, and the true horror here was the way a woman of color was so completely dismissed that they wouldn’t even investigate her claim.

-the zombie titty momster thing was dumb as rocks. Lazy, unimaginative, and a far bigger detriment to the film than trash ass Justin Long. The scariest thing about her, is how stupid it was.

Then you have the rapey SVU torture man, who they did fuck all with.

This was engaging until Zombie Titty Momster shows up, then it becomes a campy b movie, with a brief break back into something good when Georgina’s character tries in vain to convince a couple of pigs to help her.

Overall, this was a disjointed mess. That seems to be a pattern with all these “shut off your expectations!” movies.

Frank Longo
86642 posts
Sun Oct-30-22 01:11 PM

8. "lmao, yeah, if you have a massive anti-Justin Long vendetta..."
In response to Reply # 7

... then this movie will not work for you at all. Because the Justin Long stretch is almost certainly the best part of the movie, and the tape measure gag is probably the hardest I've laughed at a movie all year.

I don't know that I've ever encountered a vehemently anti-Justin Long person before, lol.

Cold Truth
44806 posts
Sun Oct-30-22 05:10 PM

9. "Dude looks like he's in perpetual puberty"
In response to Reply # 8

I liked him in Tusk.

That was one that I thought was a well-executed burst of creativity, and Justin worked well for the role.

But yeah, he just has this weird, unappealing manchild thing, and lacks the charm or charisma others in that vein have to make it work.

He's an instant "change it, this sucks" actor for me.

Kevin James is another, as is Rob Schneider. Actors who are so horrendous to me that I wonder what they have on who, because I struggle to understand the appeal.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Nov-07-22 12:22 PM

11. "Isn't that point though?"
In response to Reply # 9

JL was the right choice because he is soooo hate-able.

I am with you that the titty monster was just a dumb choice that took from the build-up and doesn't make any sort of sense.

The movie could have been scarier, but it would have to had leaned into a story about a serial killer and the torturing of his victims, I am actually glad they left that out. I personally just don't have the stomach for that.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cold Truth
44806 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 11:48 AM

16. "I guess, lol, you could argue that was the true horror for me"
In response to Reply # 11

to that last point, agreed. I don't think we need any of that right now.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5621 posts
Thu Nov-17-22 07:23 AM

19. "Says the guy who climbs mountains to defend Marvel"
In response to Reply # 7

Your hypocrisy towards movies is absolutely HILARIOUS. Lmao

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44256 posts
Mon Oct-31-22 09:30 AM

10. "This was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen."
In response to Reply # 0

Almost EVERY SINGLE DECISION MADE IN THIS FILM IS UNBELIEVABLY DUMB.

I loved it.

Go see it immediately.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Nov-07-22 12:26 PM

12. "The most interesting thing about this movie... (spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 0

was the idea of a blighted town, that the police won't touch, as a grounds for horror. I wish the movie was more about that.

Tying the horror to the decay of the community would have been interesting.

"zombie titty monster" was dumb. I get why they went that route instead of actually dealing with tortured serial killer victims, but it made no sense. They could have least made the serial killer a mad scientist of some sort.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Mon Nov-07-22 01:51 PM

13. "loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't like most horror movies but this was one was just dumb, creepy and funny enough all-around

fantastic work

--------

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Tue Nov-08-22 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Went in blind and LOVED IT!"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Nopayne
52620 posts
Tue Nov-08-22 09:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Absolute banger. By far the best part was:"
In response to Reply # 0

when the Mac died.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Pamalama
Charter member
1684 posts
Thu Nov-10-22 05:51 AM

17. "A really good ‘talk to the screen’ movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I watched the trailer after the movie and so glad I didn’t see it first.

Sofian_Hadi
5621 posts
Thu Nov-17-22 07:21 AM

18. "Going in blind made this such an awesome experience."
In response to Reply # 0

I didnt get around to watching a trailer, saw it available on HBO Max after all the word of mouth and maaaan.....amazing movie. I thought it was just a typical "rented a place with a stranger who turns out to be a killer" movie. Glad i was wrong. Glad it wasnt spoiled for me.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #746013 Previous topic | Next topic