Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectGeez, it's going to take a while to recover from this one. CONTEXT:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746013&mesg_id=746030
746030, Geez, it's going to take a while to recover from this one. CONTEXT:
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Sep-13-22 04:24 PM
The scariest part was the walk back to work from the theater. Those who have seen it will understand:

I saw the movie in a Megaplex that is one of the last surviving businesses in a once-thriving metropolitan mall that is now mostly boarded up and being torn down. The theater was completely empty and the bathroom was dark when I went in after the movie and the lights came on but the automatic soap dispenser started shrieking the moment I waved my hand under and didn't stop. I leave and walk through the mostly boarded up or under perpetual construction interior of the outdoor mall. Even though it's mostly empty of stores and people, they still have cheery mall music blaring.

I walk by what used to be the old Virgin Megastore, which decades ago used to be one of my favorite places to go, but after a succession of failing businesses has now just been completely ripped out of the wall, like a bomb went off.

In the courtyard, the children's play fountain is still shooting out squirts of water, but is deserted. This used to be a place where you would see hundreds of children on a summer day.

I make it back to my office building and see that the little on-site cafe has been closed permanently since I last was there. I enter the quiet lobby where they don't even have any one stationed because so many people work from home now. Anyway, luckily my office was populated and not post-apocalyptic feeling. But it's going to take a while to wash this eerie feeling away.