Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034302

Subject: "c'mon bruh Westside Gunn -Sincerely Adolf!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1605 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 11:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"c'mon bruh Westside Gunn -Sincerely Adolf!!!"

I haven't listened to it a bunch because I need Jesus right now, but this joint is fire right? talk about it.

Do ya'll like the extensive stove god features?

How freaking boom bap is this?

Is this the best HWH or just the best since HWH 3?

www.anwarmorse.com
Stone-phalanges.deviantart.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: c'mon bruh Westside Gunn -Sincerely Adolf!!!
Aug 31st 2021
RE: c'mon bruh Westside Gunn -Sincerely Adolf!!!
Aug 31st 2021
really good. really weird too
Aug 31st 2021
Exactly as good as I expected and wanted
Sep 01st 2021
This is top 5 WSG for me I think.
Sep 02nd 2021
Probably his strongest album after Flygod.
Sep 03rd 2021
Stove's voice reminds me of Gigan on King Geedorah
Sep 03rd 2021
This album is really dope.
Sep 03rd 2021

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
16431 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 11:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: c'mon bruh Westside Gunn -Sincerely Adolf!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>I haven't listened to it a bunch because I need Jesus right
>now, but this joint is fire right? talk about it.

Absolute fire.

>Do ya'll like the extensive stove god features?

Yes. On an album full of strong features, he stole the show for me. Can’t wait for his next album, and it’s not hometown bias! He’s ridiculously entertaining.

>How freaking boom bap is this?

Man....I was initially disappointed at the lack of Daringer.....until I heard. Beats are top notch.

>Is this the best HWH or just the best since HWH 3?

I loved 7. That was my favorite. This one is right there. Time will tell.

jimaveli
Charter member
5500 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 06:06 PM

2. "RE: c'mon bruh Westside Gunn -Sincerely Adolf!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>I haven't listened to it a bunch because I need Jesus right
>now, but this joint is fire right? talk about it.
>
>Do ya'll like the extensive stove god features?
>
>How freaking boom bap is this?
>
>Is this the best HWH or just the best since HWH 3?

It sounds like someone advised him to say 'hey yo' then start rapping with minimal shenanigans and he tried for real to do it. I'm glad he did it.

I'm not the right person to ask about Stove cuz I like him. He has at least one line that catches me on just about anything he's on.

And yeah, them booms and baps are up on the scene. It can be done.

I need to listen to the whole series again. There's hella good times throughout..that's for sure. If he really does stop after the 2nd half of 8, he will have had a fun azz run during this 'stay in your lane but do it right' era. So many guys like him got a chance to shine that they probably wouldn't have gotten in that 'you have to try to be multiple things on an album or you're not going to be viewed as important' era.

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
7828 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 11:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "really good. really weird too"
In response to Reply # 0

lots of warbled, fuzzy, and otherwise distorted samples, roughly chopped. almost like boom bap with a vaporwave aesthetic, or maybe oneohtrix point never's replica era, or constrobuz's beats on mfn exquire's projects from the early 2010s, or some combination of all of the above. i can't quite put my finger on it but i do like it quite a lot. i feel like there was some of this sound on mach-hommy's pray for haiti but it was less dialed up and the instrumentals were more straighforward. some the beats on HWH8 are a truly experimental and feel like a logical progression to a more pyschedelic and lavish sound, coming from the grimy, dark, and moody post-alchemist daringer sound that dominated most of griselda's early and middle catalog. there are also a tasteful number of drumless beats, mostly towards the end. they're a nice break from the crunchy snares found in the first half of the project. some of the features are expected (conway, boldy, jada) but others are from out of nowhere (sauce walka?!) and they all kill it. the only lackluster verses are from westside and that's expected at this point in his career as it's known that he mostly gets by on his delivery and has an occasional truly good bar here and there. overall a very enjoyable listen that i wanted to immediately go back to. exemplary stuff!

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19880 posts
Wed Sep-01-21 05:35 PM

4. "Exactly as good as I expected and wanted"
In response to Reply # 0

Love the production, he's mostly tolerable (heavy guest list helps).

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1605 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 09:32 AM

5. "This is top 5 WSG for me I think."
In response to Reply # 0

Very good album. I do think his rapping was better before he started "getting better"

www.anwarmorse.com
Stone-phalanges.deviantart.com

Numba_33
Charter member
17942 posts
Fri Sep-03-21 12:19 PM

6. "Probably his strongest album after Flygod."
In response to Reply # 0

Have to admit I'm getting tired of the Hitler gimmick at this point. Quality music is rare these days, so I suppose I have to stomach it on some level.

On a positive note, he seems to have gotten the best out of all the guests on here and Westside wasn't too much of a slouch in comparison. He rapped better on Flygod to me, so that's why I can't rate it better than that release.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
14505 posts
Fri Sep-03-21 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Stove's voice reminds me of Gigan on King Geedorah"
In response to Reply # 0

So he'll always be too big to fail for me

I just love that weird nasally compression

Production has a hazy vibe that reminds me of that and Edan's Beauty & The Beat too

This is going to get a LOOOOT of play this fall, especially as the summer heat wave breaks and I start walking to work instead of taking the bus.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
43481 posts
Fri Sep-03-21 06:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "This album is really dope."
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like WSG is really hitting his creative stride as of late. I liked/loved all four of the projects he dropped in 2020, and this is very much a worthy progression.

And it's kind of amazing how Stove God makes everything better,

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Lobby The Lesson topic #3034302 Previous topic | Next topic