Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectreally good. really weird too
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3034302&mesg_id=3034342
3034342, really good. really weird too
Posted by bearfield, Tue Aug-31-21 11:51 PM
lots of warbled, fuzzy, and otherwise distorted samples, roughly chopped. almost like boom bap with a vaporwave aesthetic, or maybe oneohtrix point never's replica era, or constrobuz's beats on mfn exquire's projects from the early 2010s, or some combination of all of the above. i can't quite put my finger on it but i do like it quite a lot. i feel like there was some of this sound on mach-hommy's pray for haiti but it was less dialed up and the instrumentals were more straighforward. some the beats on HWH8 are a truly experimental and feel like a logical progression to a more pyschedelic and lavish sound, coming from the grimy, dark, and moody post-alchemist daringer sound that dominated most of griselda's early and middle catalog. there are also a tasteful number of drumless beats, mostly towards the end. they're a nice break from the crunchy snares found in the first half of the project. some of the features are expected (conway, boldy, jada) but others are from out of nowhere (sauce walka?!) and they all kill it. the only lackluster verses are from westside and that's expected at this point in his career as it's known that he mostly gets by on his delivery and has an occasional truly good bar here and there. overall a very enjoyable listen that i wanted to immediately go back to. exemplary stuff!