Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13488481

Subject: "Sound of Freedom.... Has anyone here seen it????" Previous topic | Next topic
thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 11:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Sound of Freedom.... Has anyone here seen it????"

thoughts?

i havent.... this topic depresses me.... will wait for it to hit the torrents probably....

trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt0kp4VW1cI

controversy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2023/07/07/sound-of-freedom-qanon-theories-jim-caviezel/

‘Sound of Freedom’ is a box office hit whose star embraces QAnon
The low-budget film about child sex trafficking almost topped the box office on July 4. But its star Jim Caviezel has linked it to the QAnon movement.
By Herb Scribner and Will Sommer
July 7, 2023 at 3:33 p.m
A casual moviegoer might not get why anyone is upset about “Sound of Freedom,” a surprise hit inspired by the real-life exploits of Tim Ballard, a former Department of Homeland Security agent who stages sting operations to catch child sex traffickers.

It’s a fairly standard American action thriller — gritty, violent and hopeful — in which Ballard (Jim Caviezel) fights to save abducted children in the Colombian jungle. The partially crowdfunded film opened this week to a solid review in “Variety,” and vied with the latest Indiana Jones sequel for the top box-office spot on July 4.

But “Sound of Freedom” has been accused by some critics of warping the truth about child exploitation and catering to QAnon conspiracy theorists — something its distributor, Angel Studios, denies. The Guardian’s critic called it a “QAnon-adjacent thriller seducing America.” And the film’s star, Caviezel, has openly embraced the extreme movement, suggesting at media events that a shadowy international cabal is kidnapping children to consume their organs.

This section contains spoilers for the movie.

“Sound of Freedom” is based on the life of Ballard, who left the Department of Homeland Security about 10 years ago and founded a group that works with local police to catch child sex traffickers in other countries — often by staging elaborate sting operations that it captures on video.

In the film, a brother and sister are lured to an innocuous-sounding photo shoot in Honduras, only to be snatched by abductors and imprisoned in the Colombian jungle. Caviezel’s version of Ballard spends much of the movie sneaking through criminal hideouts to find the children, risking his life and finally beating up the traffickers.

The real Ballard hasn’t claimed to do anything quite like that, but the film ends with a montage of clips from sting operations his group, Operation Underground Railroad, actually conducted in the country. “By the time Tim left Colombia, he and the team had rescued over 120 victims and arrested more than a dozen traffickers,” reads text on the screen.

“I think people are going to be inspired when they watch the story based on Tim’s story,” said Jared Geesey, senior vice president of global distribution for Angel Studios.

Many others have praised Ballard’s work. President Trump appointed him to a State Department advisory council on human trafficking in 2019, which he sat on until it disbanded the next year. Major news organizations covered the 2014 Colombian bust that inspired “Sound of Freedom,” and Ballard testified about the operation before the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee.

But Operation Underground Railroad has also been accused by some experts of distorting the complex nature of the sex trafficking business, of doing little to help victims despite its dramatic sting videos and even of putting children in danger to make them.

Glenn Kessler, The Washington Post’s Fact Checker, found no evidence for Ballard’s claim that 10,000 children are smuggled into the United States for sex annually — a line that apparently made its way into Trump’s State of the Union address in 2019. In Utah, the Davis County Attorney’s Office spent two and a half years investigating Operation Underground Railroad for alleged communications fraud, witness tampering and retaliation, according to the Deseret News. The investigations ended with no charges in May.

A Vice News investigation in 2020 found no clear falsehoods in Operation Underground Railroad’s rescue claims, but “a pattern of image-burnishing and mythology-building, a series of exaggerations that are, in the aggregate, quite misleading.”

“The entire premise of its operations: that local law enforcement will take over when the dirty work has been done is dangerously naive,” the prominent human trafficking scholar Anne Gallagher wrote for HuffPost in 2015. “Why are police in Mexico, the Dominican Republic and Colombia not arresting child sex traffickers if they are so easy to find? The simplest explanation is law enforcement complicity in such crimes.”

Operation Underground Railroad, which did not respond to a request for comment, says on its website that it works with other organizations to ensure victims get long-term support after its stings. But Foreign Policy reported that a large group of Dominican girls the group rescued in 2014 were on their own again a week later.

“Sound of Freedom” doesn’t depict anything close to QAnon conspiracy fantasies, which have been linked to incidents of extremism and violence including the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. The film’s villains are common criminals, not the shadowy cabal of occultists imagined by QAnoners.

But the movie has nevertheless been promoted on QAnon message boards, and some accuse it of playing into the movement, which is based on the false belief that a highly organized network of global elites are kidnapping children, having sex with them and harvesting their blood.

That’s partially because Ballard and the actor who plays him, Caviezel, have both expressed support for some of the QAnon’s movement’s wildest claims.

Ballard once entertained a viral theory that claimed the online furniture retailer Wayfair was selling children, sometimes packing them into overpriced storage cabinets. “Law enforcement’s going to flush that out and we’ll get our answers sooner than later,” he said in a July 2020 Twitter video. “But I want to tell you this: children are sold that way.” There is no evidence to support the theory, which has inspired threats against employees and impeded actual child trafficking investigations.

A month after that video, Ballard described conspiracy theorists’ support for his organization as a mixed blessing in an interview with the New York Times. “Some of these theories have allowed people to open their eyes,” he said. “So now it’s our job to flood the space with real information so the facts can be shared.”

Caviezel — who says Ballard recruited him onto the film after seeing him star in“ The Count of Monte Cristo” (2002) and Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” (2004) — has espoused even more extreme theories.

The actor appeared at a QAnon convention in Las Vegas in October 2021, giving a speech that quoted Mel Gibson’s final speech in “Braveheart” and included one of QAnon’s main slogans, “The storm is upon us,” which refers to the movement’s fight against the imagined pedophile cabal.

He has focused on one QAnon belief in particular while promoting “Sound of Freedom”: the idea that child traffickers drain children’s blood to harvest a life-giving substance called adrenochrome.

Speaking at a QAnon-affiliated conference in Oklahoma in 2021, the actor said Ballard wanted to join him but “he’s down there saving children as we speak, because they’re pulling kids out of the darkest recesses of hell right now, in … all kinds of places, uh, the adrenochroming of children.”

The moderator asked him to elaborate. “If a child knows he’s going to die, his body will secrete this adrenaline,” Caviezel said, his voice catching. “These people that do it, there’ll be no mercy for them. This is one of the best films I’ve ever done in my life. The film is on Academy Award level.”

In reality, adrenochrome is a relatively mundane chemical compound created by oxidizing adrenaline, though the author Hunter S. Thompson portrayed it as a kind of super-drug popular with pedophiles in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.”

Geesey, the Angel Studios executive, said anyone who posits that “Sound of Freedom” promotes conspiracy theories hasn’t watched the film.

“Sound of Freedom” caused a splash when it opened over the July 4 holiday weekend and went toe-to-toe with one of the biggest franchises in movie history, “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.”

The Indy flick barely edged out “Sound of Freedom” on Independence Day, according to Deadline — $11.7 million to $11.5 million. Angel Studios bragged in a press release that its film was actually the top-grossing film in the country that day, by including another $2.6 million earned through an app that allows people to donate tickets for others.

Either way, it’s a huge showing for a movie that was partially crowdfunded, abandoned by its original producers, and ultimately released by a small studio mostly known for religious projects.

Origins and funding

Geesey said the Alejandro Monteverde-directed film was originally produced by 20th Century Studios, but Disney put the project on hold after acquiring the company in 2019, and Angel Studios subsequently adopted it.

The Utah-based production company was launched in 2021 by the Harmon brothers, whose previous projects include a marketing firm that made “adorable ads about disgusting things,” as The Washington Post put it, and VidAngel, a streaming service that lets users censor objectionable material from mainstream movies. (VidAngel’s library shrank after it settled a lawsuit brought by major Hollywood studios).

Using a mix of crowdfunding and partnerships with investors, Angel Studios has previously distributed projects including the small box office success “His Only Son” and “The Chosen,” a streaming series about the life of Christ whose makers claim has been watched hundreds of millions of times.

The studio also produces a comedy show and an animated drama project called “Tuttle Twins,” which features a time-travelling grandma who teaches her grandkids about freedom and economics.

And now — at least briefly — Angel Studios has one of the top movies in the country.

“It definitely exceeded our expectations,” said Geesey, who added that “the message of freedom” clearly resonated with its Independence Day release.

“We thought what better time to really highlight and celebrate the Fourth of July,” he said.

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
tim ballard quietly resigned from his own organization.
Jul 15th 2023
no desire to see it, but not for any culture war reason
Jul 15th 2023
Niggas out here wating for Q drops like mixtapes
Jul 15th 2023
i will never understand the cognitive dissonance
Jul 15th 2023
      Oh, I get it
Jul 15th 2023
Nah, fuck this movie
Jul 15th 2023
Creepy reactionary moral-panic cinema.
Jul 15th 2023
major financier of film arrested for child kidnapping.
Aug 04th 2023
LO FUCKING L
Aug 07th 2023
it was research for the movie.. lol.
Aug 07th 2023
      the kari lake chick in az ran against drag shows
Aug 07th 2023
           she was their best customer
Aug 07th 2023
It's weird for the left to get worked up about this movie.
Aug 07th 2023
Who's arguing THAT???
Aug 07th 2023
seriously the reaction from 'the left' is the complete opposite.
Aug 07th 2023
      His posts are consistently confounding.
Aug 07th 2023
           spending too much time on that twitter for you page lol.
Aug 07th 2023
           at first I thought he was stirring the pot to keep the boards moving
Aug 07th 2023
this is something you made up on your own.
Aug 07th 2023
Fam there are tons of tweets like this.
Aug 07th 2023
      the washington post article?
Aug 07th 2023
           How is the movie propaganda?!?!
Aug 07th 2023
                A stunning level of ignorance mixed with arrogance
Aug 07th 2023
                What's the propaganda message?
Aug 07th 2023
                NO ONE IS SAYING "Well Actually..."
Aug 07th 2023
                RE: What's the propaganda message?
Aug 08th 2023
                LOL that's right.
Aug 08th 2023
                This is where you get the L
Aug 07th 2023
                replace trafficking with the “war on drugs”
Aug 08th 2023
                     they did this all throughout the war on terror and the iraq war.
Aug 08th 2023
You are reading and watching too much right wing bullshit
Aug 07th 2023
Link
Aug 07th 2023
that would hit if ole boy was AOC
Aug 07th 2023
I've never watched Fox News in my life.
Aug 07th 2023
      shit.. I was trying to help you out
Aug 07th 2023
      it's strange that buddy say this
Aug 08th 2023
           good pickup. why is he posting right wing troll twitter accounts?
Aug 08th 2023
           Damn this too ! On top of the National Review article he posted last wee...
Aug 08th 2023
           I don't think he's a phony I think he's very authentically one particula...
Aug 08th 2023
           I was calling him a phony re: him lying about consuming right wing media...
Aug 08th 2023
                It was also a great Family Guy reference
Aug 08th 2023
                     lol thanks, meant to point that out in my response.
Aug 08th 2023
                          well shit man lol
Aug 08th 2023
           oh damn its not even debatable anymore.
Aug 08th 2023
                He's always been like this
Aug 08th 2023
           I found that tweet because Tariq Nasheed responded to it.
Aug 08th 2023
                my brother in christ we're talking about posts from two weeks ago
Aug 20th 2023
how many times have I told y'all what buddy is and what he's about
Aug 07th 2023
its genius marketing.. “this is the movie THEY don’t want you to see...
Aug 07th 2023
the most genius part is them finding another way to milk their base
Aug 07th 2023
It's the best marketing campaign I've seen in a minute
Aug 07th 2023
It's become a playbook across media, see: the current No. 1 song
Aug 22nd 2023
      LOL why are people so simple.
Aug 22nd 2023
      I just listened to that song and Malcolm X's voice seized my brain
Aug 22nd 2023
           Exactly.
Aug 22nd 2023
      They’re already turning on him for saying diversity is our strength
Aug 24th 2023
Ballard now selling supps "co-developed" by "an undercove...
Aug 18th 2023
Aug 22nd 2023
But you are feeding the trolls.
Aug 22nd 2023
      damn dude.. just reach out and ask to join their team
Aug 22nd 2023
      You are giving them WAYYYYY benefit of the doubt for a moral panic
Sep 19th 2023
DIS NIGGA!!!! Sexual Misconduct by Tim Ballard
Sep 18th 2023
But he was bringing awareness to the issue so it’s a net positive
Sep 18th 2023
lol holy fuck
Sep 19th 2023
Apt phrasing, given the circumstances
Sep 19th 2023
      LOL
Sep 19th 2023
mans was really sex trafficking in an ostensibly anti sex trafficking or...
Sep 19th 2023
lol was *so obviously* how this story was going to end
Sep 19th 2023
      I still think he'll run and win in 2024
Sep 19th 2023
      We can call this
Sep 19th 2023
SOF Producer felt 16 year old Trafficking Victim’s breasts in sting op...
Sep 19th 2023
and buddy wonders why people are “against” this film
Sep 20th 2023

.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "tim ballard quietly resigned from his own organization."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/sound-of-freedom-tim-ballard-leaves-operation-underground-railroad-1234787753/

its not being mentioned in his promo appearances for the film.

im guessing theres some shoe to drop that they wanna distance themselves from ahead of time.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "no desire to see it, but not for any culture war reason"
In response to Reply # 0

i just really have a hard time watching anything about human trafficking, let alone child trafficking. violenice, war, shooting, slashing, brutal killing, count me in, but even if i'm watching some mob or cartel doc series, i'll skip the human trafficking one. that shit fucks me up.

havent paid that much attention, but there seems to be a bit of streisand effect going on with this movie because it keeps popping up.
maybe that's the wrong term, but all i see is shit about how its Qanon propaganda, and it maybe/probably is, but the attempt to gatekeep (even if *that* part is marketing) it is making it more popular. in fact the noise around it is the only actual reason i'd even want to see this movie, just so i can talk about it either way.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Niggas out here wating for Q drops like mixtapes"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 02:51 PM

5. "i will never understand the cognitive dissonance"
In response to Reply # 3

of claiming to be anti sex trafficking but being a rapid fan of andrew tate and donald trump (epstein).

navajo joe
6574 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 03:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Oh, I get it"
In response to Reply # 5

They don't actually care about sex trafficking. Just like they don't care about patriotism, god, freedom, or any of the other shit they espouse.

You might could call it "virtue signaling"

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Nah, fuck this movie"
In response to Reply # 0

First of all, the people it’s based on basically perpetuated the problem they were trying to solve with CIA crack tactics, asking around for kids for sale and creating a market of shit in their wake

But also, though the Q ties are loose at best and the movie doesn’t actually play that game at all, Passion of the Christ is more than happy to.

I love those clips of people claiming theaters are intentionally trying to suppress this very successful movie by shutting off the AC or sabotaging their projectors though. Imagine any theater in 2023 sacrificing ticket sales for anything, let alone to put a hush on child sex slavery.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 03:42 PM

7. "Creepy reactionary moral-panic cinema."
In response to Reply # 0

I found this recent article very clarifying.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/07/conspiracy-theory-burned-convent-down/674599/

Whenever a significant social change occurs, a moral panic and accompanying conspiracy theory usually follows close behind. And they're usually about protecting children and/or the 'purity' of women.

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Fri Aug-04-23 04:00 PM

8. "major financier of film arrested for child kidnapping."
In response to Reply # 0

https://brobible.com/culture/article/fabian-marta-arrested-sound-of-freedom-investor/

like clockwork.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 08:47 AM

9. "LO FUCKING L"
In response to Reply # 8

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 10:02 AM

16. "it was research for the movie.. lol. "
In response to Reply # 8

this is like screaming about drag shows

you know 99% of these dudes bashing it have a photo in a dress or a photo at a drag show somewhere in their past.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 10:09 AM

18. "the kari lake chick in az ran against drag shows"
In response to Reply # 16

and still had pics on her instagram page from the past with her partying with drag queens.

and maga folks gave not a single fuck and still voted for her.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 06:57 PM

34. "she was their best customer "
In response to Reply # 18

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 08:57 AM

10. "It's weird for the left to get worked up about this movie. "
In response to Reply # 0

Let them have it. It's kind of a trap because they want people on the left bagging on the movie so they can say, "see! they don't care about child trafficking"

It's just a weird place to be in if you find yourself arguing, "child trafficking isn't that bad of a problem".

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 09:21 AM

11. "Who's arguing THAT???"
In response to Reply # 10

>It's just a weird place to be in if you find yourself arguing, "child trafficking isn't that bad of a problem".

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 09:32 AM

13. "seriously the reaction from 'the left' is the complete opposite."
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Aug-07-23 09:34 AM by .Monkeynuts.

its that the movie is political culture war fodder and conservatives dont really give a shit about trafficking or else they wouldnt worship andrew tate (indicted for rape and sex trafficking) and donald trump (epsteins bff for 20 years).

like i said in reply #5.

its the whole 'republican accusation is really a confession' thing.

wasnt buddy just patronizing 'the left' about virtue signaling with pronouns and shit?

nigga sounding kinda incel lately lol.

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 10:11 AM

19. "His posts are consistently confounding."
In response to Reply # 13

>wasnt buddy just patronizing 'the left' about virtue signaling
>with pronouns and shit?
>
>nigga sounding kinda incel lately lol.

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 10:13 AM

20. "spending too much time on that twitter for you page lol."
In response to Reply # 19

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 10:24 AM

21. "at first I thought he was stirring the pot to keep the boards moving"
In response to Reply # 19

but buddy really sounds like that dude at cookouts where everyone gets up from the table at the same time

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 09:27 AM

12. "this is something you made up on your own."

>It's just a weird place to be in if you find yourself arguing,
>"child trafficking isn't that bad of a problem".

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 12:49 PM

24. "Fam there are tons of tweets like this. "
In response to Reply # 12
Mon Aug-07-23 12:52 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

https://twitter.com/jimstewartson/status/1687494750977548288

Even the washington post article frames it in the beginning by stating that some people are upset with the film.

The film is harmless. Even if people we hate support it, that's not a reason why to hate it.

Republicans are trying to politicize the fight against child trafficking and we shouldn't fall into the trap of pushing back on a no-brainer non-political issue just because we are always use to fighting them.

Even you said that this movie is "political culture war fodder".

Why should a movie about child trafficking be culture war fodder?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 01:57 PM

27. "the washington post article? "
In response to Reply # 24

I thought you just said below you don’t read or follow that stuff

my issue with twitter is once someone frames a video or article people tend to agree and use that same language which makes them sound crazy to regular folk

I still don’t understand this line of thinking that calling this film propaganda means you aren’t serious about child trafficking. That shit sounds loaded AF

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 03:05 PM

28. "How is the movie propaganda?!?!"
In response to Reply # 27

Which is my point. Calling the movie propaganda is placing yourself on the other side of a Disney owned (at one point) action movie about Child trafficking. There really shouldn't be a controversy about the movie itself because there is nothing controversial about saying child trafficking is terrible and more should be done about it.

BTW, The washington post is not right wing media. I said I don't read/watch/listen to right wing media.

navajo joe
6574 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 04:00 PM

29. "A stunning level of ignorance mixed with arrogance"
In response to Reply # 28

It's literally propaganda. The same way that FoxNews reports about gun violence in cities is propaganda. The same way that Dinesh D'Souza movies about election fraud is propaganda. What you don't care about violence and election fraud?! Qanon says trafficking is terrible do you support that? Because it's flat-out propaganda operation designed to prey on people's legitimate concern for children and catch them up in a right-wing grift designed to divorce them of reality and money.

The film's star is a major figure in the QAnon movement who is a right-wing nutjob, the person it profiles has misrepresented their background, the right which filled with more pedophiles than you can shake a stick and whose second-place contender for the presidential nomination is being investigated for trafficking. It's also why actual victims of trafficking and people who actually work on fighting trafficking have been harassed, smeared, and threatened for criticizing the film.

As to "I don't read/watch/listen/ right wing media" I could really care less what you do but you literally posted an article from the National Review last week to kick off your collapse of the GOP post. So did you not read the article you posted or do you just not know what the National Review is?

You are clearly ignorant on this particular subject and it's evident in the fact that you're swallowing this shit whole and then trying to be like, "why don't you guys care about children?!" If you really cared about child exploitation and human trafficking you'd know all this and wouldn't be in here betraying your ignorance. It's literally the virtue signaling you seem to find so odious.

Pro-tip: If you don't know something about something just shut. the. fuck. up. and spend time informing yourself until you do. Assuming, of course, you have the media literacy and the critical thinking skill to do so, which is, based on your replies in this post and others, highly doubtful.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 05:07 PM

31. "What's the propaganda message?"
In response to Reply # 29

Like simply articulate it. Is it lying about sex trafficking? Is it less an issue than the movie makes it out to be?

We know Dinesh D'Souza is lying about election fraud because we know it's not an issue. We know Foxnews is praying on white fears about gun violence to scare viewers about city and black people. Easy to explain the propaganda there. What's it here?

From every account I've read by people who have actually watched the movie, they say the movie in itself is harmless. I think someone said it best when they described it as “Sound of Freedom” is a reasonably entertaining, financially successful film that takes itself a little too seriously. There is no QAnon propaganda in the film. It was literally a Disney film at some point in time.

I get it. the star is a nutjob. The real life figure it is supposed to be based on inflated their resume and took liberties with his story. But who cares? The film itself sounds like what nicholas kristof has been writing about for YEARS.

I still think you all are falling for a trap because someone you dislike is saying something that happens to be true. By disagreeing with the person, you come off as sounding like you disagree with the issue. Child trafficking is a problem. It's not a problem because liberals are eating babies, but it is a problem.

If someone says, "child trafficking is a problem" the response should be "agreed period". You end up looking like the crazy one when you respond with "well actually..."

It's a nuanced point that I am trying to make here that folks are getting lost with.

Again, there is no need for this movie to be a part of a cultural war. The right wants it to be a part of the cultural wars and yall are obliging.

On another note. When a conservative publication says to its conservative audience that liberals are messed up and awful. That's nothing new or newsworthy. However, when a conservative publication is warning their conservative audience that their movement is having major issues and are in trouble, that's discussion worthy.

>It's literally propaganda. The same way that FoxNews reports
>about gun violence in cities is propaganda. The same way that
>Dinesh D'Souza movies about election fraud is propaganda. What
>you don't care about violence and election fraud?! Qanon says
>trafficking is terrible do you support that? Because it's
>flat-out propaganda operation designed to prey on people's
>legitimate concern for children and catch them up in a
>right-wing grift designed to divorce them of reality and
>money.
>
>The film's star is a major figure in the QAnon movement who is
>a right-wing nutjob, the person it profiles has misrepresented
>their background, the right which filled with more pedophiles
>than you can shake a stick and whose second-place contender
>for the presidential nomination is being investigated for
>trafficking. It's also why actual victims of trafficking and
>people who actually work on fighting trafficking have been
>harassed, smeared, and threatened for criticizing the film.
>
>As to "I don't read/watch/listen/ right wing media" I could
>really care less what you do but you literally posted an
>article from the National Review last week to kick off your
>collapse of the GOP post. So did you not read the article you
>posted or do you just not know what the National Review is?
>
>You are clearly ignorant on this particular subject and it's
>evident in the fact that you're swallowing this shit whole and
>then trying to be like, "why don't you guys care about
>children?!" If you really cared about child exploitation and
>human trafficking you'd know all this and wouldn't be in here
>betraying your ignorance. It's literally the virtue signaling
>you seem to find so odious.
>
>Pro-tip: If you don't know something about something just
>shut. the. fuck. up. and spend time informing yourself until
>you do. Assuming, of course, you have the media literacy and
>the critical thinking skill to do so, which is, based on your
>replies in this post and others, highly doubtful.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 05:20 PM

33. "NO ONE IS SAYING "Well Actually...""
In response to Reply # 31

What the FUCK are you talking about?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Child sex trafficking is a problem. We pay BILLIONS for military and police and diplomacy to stop it.

We're ALL WANT IT TO STOP. Come up with an actual plan that could work and we'll add it to the tool box.

But when people talking Q shit start BLATHERING and talking about it 24 hours a day but ONLY talk about "We're the *real* heroes because we *care* and we saw a MOVIE about it becuase we care so so much!" , well....

Fuck them, and maybe you for caring about them.

I've NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER HEARD ANYONE HERE OR IN THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA GO "Child sex trafficking isn't a problem." or "We should do less about child sex trafficking."

(These same folks thing "drag queen story hour" is child sex trafficking.)

Find me a single mainstream person who has said "Child sex trafficking is at an acceptable level." and post it please.

Step back, think for a bit, and take the minor 'L' for falling for the okie doke.

There's no culture on the right or the left that cares more about child sex trafficking than the other. It's one of the few things they agree upon.

------------

navajo joe
6574 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 12:05 PM

50. "RE: What's the propaganda message?"
In response to Reply # 31

>Like simply articulate it. Is it lying about sex
>trafficking? Is it less an issue than the movie makes it out
>to be?

that the film misrepresents Ballard and the work of Operation Underground Railroad IS the fucking propaganda.

The reason Ballard and Caviezel did the RW media gauntlet (including appearances on Ben Shapiro/Jordan Peterson's podcasts) to promote the film reinforces this.

But since you saw the film feel free to correct me.

>We know Dinesh D'Souza is lying about election fraud because
>we know it's not an issue. We know Foxnews is praying on
>white fears about gun violence to scare viewers about city and
>black people. Easy to explain the propaganda there. What's it
>here?
>
>From every account I've read by people who have actually
>watched the movie, they say the movie in itself is harmless.
>I think someone said it best when they described it as
>“Sound of Freedom” is a reasonably entertaining,
>financially successful film that takes itself a little too
>seriously. There is no QAnon propaganda in the film. It was
>literally a Disney film at some point in time.

Just because something is light and entertaining doesn't mean it's not propaganda, see: the endless Cop/military shows that provide the majority of prime time entertainment in this country; Caviezel's biggest film The Passion of the Christ. Refer back to the rise and fall of Dallas Sonnier. The right finally realized there was a big market for breezy entertainments that reflect their worldview. Goebbels realized in the 40s that you don't just hit people over the head constantly. That's why he had the film industry producing majority popular entertainment vs. straight didactic propaganda films. I'm not necessarily likening the creators of this to the Nazis necessarily. I'm just outlining that you're using a limited conception of what is and isn't propaganda.

>I get it. the star is a nutjob. The real life figure it is
>supposed to be based on inflated their resume and took
>liberties with his story. But who cares? The film itself
>sounds like what nicholas kristof has been writing about for
>YEARS.

Here you're minimizing someone misrepresenting their work on an issue as important as child trafficking. So you don't really care about the issue other than to use as a cudgel against an imagined left making imagined arguments as part of your reactionary centrist schtick.

>I still think you all are falling for a trap because someone
>you dislike is saying something that happens to be true. By
>disagreeing with the person, you come off as sounding like you
>disagree with the issue. Child trafficking is a problem. It's
>not a problem because liberals are eating babies, but it is a
>problem.

No, you're coming off as misunderstanding what people are actually saying and jumping headfirst to conclusions supported by nothing because you are ill-informed and disinterested in the actual issue. That's why you're here tilting at windmills.

>If someone says, "child trafficking is a problem" the response
>should be "agreed period". You end up looking like the crazy
>one when you respond with "well actually..."

To my point about voter fraud and election interference it's an actual problem. But not in the way that the right frames it. The former president of the united states tried to steal an election. Republican officials, operatives, and voters have tried, and in many cases BEEN tried and convicted of various forms of election fraud/interference and more are to come. But when people on the right claim there's election fraud and interference that's explicitly NOT what they are talking about. They are using it as cover, to obfuscate the truth.

So it's not just what is said it's why it's being said and who is saying it that matters. Clarifying that isn't "well, actually"-ing the issue.

We can do the same thing with violence, drag queens, trans issues Remember the bathroom bills? Sexual assault is a real issue. Trans people using bathrooms is not linked and yet...Does clarifying that mean I'm well actuallying sexual assault? Am I making it part of the culture wars or did they?

>It's a nuanced point that I am trying to make here that folks
>are getting lost with.

You're not being nuanced. You're making a simplistic argument. "Anything that talks about X is good" is not nuanced.

In fact, you're being the opposite because you're both ill-informed and ill-equipped to. Ignorance and arrogance doesn't a nuanced argument make.

>Again, there is no need for this movie to be a part of a
>cultural war. The right wants it to be a part of the cultural
>wars and yall are obliging.

This movie IS part of what you're calling "the culture war" but not because of the left. That is inherent in its design and distribution. It's the reason wealthy RWers bought up tickets to empty shows. It's the reason rightwing morons were coming up with conspiracies around technical issues and empty shows. It's the reason Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy, one of Trump's closest allies (with connections to actual sex traffickers), said he wanted to show it to Biden. It's the reason they went to Shapiro/Peterson, etc to roll this thing out.

>
>On another note. When a conservative publication says to its
>conservative audience that liberals are messed up and awful.
>That's nothing new or newsworthy. However, when a conservative
>publication is warning their conservative audience that their
>movement is having major issues and are in trouble, that's
>discussion worthy.

So you then what you said in the post above was factually incorrect. Again, there's nothing wrong with reading/consuming RW media inherently if you have the critical faculties to engage with the material and not just suck down what they're selling. But then, don't put on a southern belle voice and exclaim, "Well, I never!"

But everything you've posted in this post makes me doubt you possess those abilities.

Good luck!

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 09:32 AM

40. "LOL that's right."
In response to Reply # 29

>As to "I don't read/watch/listen/ right wing media" I could
>really care less what you do but you literally posted an
>article from the National Review last week to kick off your
>collapse of the GOP post. So did you not read the article you
>posted or do you just not know what the National Review is?

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 04:18 PM

30. "This is where you get the L"
Mon Aug-07-23 04:22 PM by handle

tldr; It's a made up controversy because NO ONE is in favor of DOING LESS to help traffic victims. *NO ONE*

" There really shouldn't be a controversy about the movie itself because there is nothing controversial about saying child trafficking is terrible and more should be done about it."

"More should be done about it" is the shit you are FALLING for.

The movie proposes no solution - it's a movie written by a vigilante and his bullshit macho-man group (Operation Underground Railroad) , funded by Glenn Beck, starring an Insane Q-Anon believer, promoted by a Christian crowdsource organization (Angel Studios) and being used to show why LIBERALS don't' care enough!!

Right wind idiots, and suckers who fall for it, bitch and complain about it WITHOUT ACTUALLY "trying to do more about it." Maybe the "thoughts and prayers" have increased 6% - but they are NOT serious about it or there would be action.

The were able to shitcan BUD light in a month, why can't they seem to do anything about this?

. So go talk to you representatives and get a serious bill ready. Get increased funding. Volunteer at NON-vigilante organizations.

And what is the correct response to "Do more about it??" Take 100% of all tax money and use it solely on child trafficking? Oh, why not? You could do MORE, why aren't you?? You're a groomer!!!"

It's a real problem - but this movie and the controversy about "How are the left so hurt" is total crap.

Listen to this: https://www.vox.com/today-explained-podcast
Episode: Sound of Freedom.

Swipe:
SEAN: Tell me what you learned about this style of. Of sort of vigilante sex trafficking policing. I mean, how many of those girls that were at that house that day in 2014 had a history of being involved in this kind of work?

MEG: Yeah. So after the Sting, I asked, like, where are the 26? So there were 26 kids, and at the time they're telling me it's 26 kids. It ends up being not– everyone's a– not every person there was underage. And I'm told that at the time that they've all been they've all been, you know, trafficked over and over again. I find out later that that's not true. I mean, these kind of anti-trafficking raids, they create demand where there isn't always demand. At least two of the kids on that raid had never been trafficked before. That was the first time.

SEAN: Hm.

MEG: Which means that, like we created trauma for them they may never have experienced. And then. And then after the raid, I think it was in 2015, Foreign Policy comes out with this story about, OUR. And it includes reporting on this raid. And I find out that after this operation. A local organization called the National Council for Children and Adolescents. Like they're supposed to do the aftercare. And they realized, like you brought us 20 ish kids. We do not have the capacity to provide, like, services for this many people. We cannot provide, um… basically, like, safety. And so the kids were released, like, within a week or two and lost like nobody knows what happened to too many of them, which means that like they got a soda and like a swim from us.

SEAN: So. Potentially they may have been back on the streets yet seeing sex trafficked again in as much as two weeks.

MEG: Yes, maybe by another group doing, like, another military raid, like anti-trafficking military raid, like creating demand.

SEAN: That was nearly ten years ago, right? To your knowledge, you know, how has this organization, Operation Underground Railroad - OUR - evolved since then?

------------

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 07:38 AM

37. "replace trafficking with the “war on drugs”"

and have the same marketing push by these right wingers talking about “if you dont watch this movie you support drug dealers and want kids to die from drugs”

I think just because its about human trafficking you think it can’t be propaganda.

its a movie.. regardless of how serious the topic is its just a movie.

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 08:32 AM

38. "they did this all throughout the war on terror and the iraq war."
In response to Reply # 37
Tue Aug-08-23 08:36 AM by .Monkeynuts.

anyone who didnt blindly support any of that shit wasnt a 'patriot'.

shit...i remember the american sniper movie with bradley cooper. and how conservatives talked about people who had an issue with him killing so many brown people (a lot innocent) like a psychopath.

this is what they do.

i have no idea why buddy is acting brand new.

we talking about this shit all the time on this board lol.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 09:49 AM

14. "You are reading and watching too much right wing bullshit "

the more you watch, the more you say dumb shit like this

I say this as a former Fox News watcher. I used to watch all that shit back when Obama was running somI could stay one step ahead of the assholes when debating their talking points.

that shit will have you saying dumb shit around your own people.

you sound crazy right now b.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 11:19 AM

22. "Link"
In response to Reply # 14

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13489217&mesg_id=13489217&page=2

------------

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 11:55 AM

23. "that would hit if ole boy was AOC "
In response to Reply # 22

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 12:53 PM

25. "I've never watched Fox News in my life. "
In response to Reply # 14

I follow no right wing peolpe on twitter. Don't do talk radio.

I only follow liberal to center people on twitter.

You said I sound crazy but I am pretty sure you are missing my point.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 01:49 PM

26. "shit.. I was trying to help you out"
In response to Reply # 25

Rjcc
Charter member
94966 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 07:34 AM

36. "it's strange that buddy say this"
In response to Reply # 25

because where'd you find the racist you linked to start off this post?

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13489209&mesg_id=13489209&page=

for a person who doesn't follow a single one of these people, you seem to know a lot about what they're saying and spend a lot of time sharing their content

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 08:33 AM

39. "good pickup. why is he posting right wing troll twitter accounts?"
In response to Reply # 36
Tue Aug-08-23 08:34 AM by .Monkeynuts.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 09:37 AM

41. "Damn this too ! On top of the National Review article he posted last wee..."

Buddy's a great big phony ! ©

Rjcc
Charter member
94966 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 09:38 AM

42. "I don't think he's a phony I think he's very authentically one particula..."
In response to Reply # 41

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 09:39 AM

43. "I was calling him a phony re: him lying about consuming right wing media..."
In response to Reply # 42
Tue Aug-08-23 09:39 AM by Brew

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44861 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 10:40 AM

45. "It was also a great Family Guy reference"
In response to Reply # 43

+10 points

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 10:44 AM

46. "lol thanks, meant to point that out in my response."
In response to Reply # 45

Rjcc
Charter member
94966 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 12:02 PM

49. "well shit man lol"
In response to Reply # 46

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 09:58 AM

44. "oh damn its not even debatable anymore."
In response to Reply # 41

i didnt know dude was posting national review articles too.

has he always been like this?

he either changed it up or i just never noticed it.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 11:51 AM

48. "He's always been like this"
In response to Reply # 44

And he ain't the only one.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 10:45 AM

47. "I found that tweet because Tariq Nasheed responded to it. "

And I don't even follow Tariq Nasheed. That's For You for you.

Like I mentioned in that post. I thought I was tweeting the link to the video, not the post.

We want to start digging up your old posts to speak to your character?

Rjcc
Charter member
94966 posts
Sun Aug-20-23 04:20 AM

52. "my brother in christ we're talking about posts from two weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 47

LET'S DIG UP OLD POSTS

but hey, you've spent 15 years of your life trying to make that dog hunt so why stop now?

Rjcc
Charter member
94966 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 07:34 PM

35. "how many times have I told y'all what buddy is and what he's about"

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 10:01 AM

15. "its genius marketing.. “this is the movie THEY don’t want you to see..."
In response to Reply # 0

right wing assholes: “We gotta see it now or we support human trafficking like the left!!!”

smh.

it shouldn’t be this easy to trick idiots into thinking you support human trafficking if you don’t see this movie.

.Monkeynuts.
528 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 10:06 AM

17. "the most genius part is them finding another way to milk their base"
In response to Reply # 15

for money.

got them folks donating millions for tickets and counting that towards the box office gross regardless of if anyone actually redeems the tickets (like they do with buying conservative books in bulk to make it climb the nytimes best sellers list).

then when theaters are empty (because the tickets arent redeemed) they claim its some conspiracy to prevent people from being awakened.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 05:11 PM

32. "It's the best marketing campaign I've seen in a minute"

And Barbie's was damn good.

And I will say it again that the left is playing into the marketing of "It's the movie the left doesn't want you to see" when the left tells people not to see it.

The way to deflate the self-importance of the movie is to ignore it for the B flick that it is instead of folks writing 50 think pieces about it.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Tue Aug-22-23 03:51 AM

53. "It's become a playbook across media, see: the current No. 1 song"

We keep saying it, but no matter how fractured the GOP as a political party might seem to be, the base have always been masters of making their small voice the loudest in the room.

Hell, I remember seeing a clip of this video posted by an Instagram account I follow earlier this week, which was just the opening four bars

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day
Overtime hours for bullshit pay
So I can sit out here and waste my life away
Drag back home and drown my troubles away

Subtitled so I could easily dismiss it as generic writing from a probably loudly plaintive vocal without turning the volume on, but I remember the caption describing it similar to how people wrote about Bon Iver or Wolf Parade a decade ago.

Which made me laugh super loud when I was reading about how successful this song has been earlier today despite having a lyric like

I wish politicians would look out for miners
And not just minors on an island somewhere

Or

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds

Until I kept reading about it and realized that those AOL circa 1997 chain mail type lines were actually stupid smart, intentional or not, because they got the people going. Here's the main pulls for that NYT link IMO:

"Despite streaming now accounting for more than 80 percent of music consumption overall, paid downloads are weighted more on the charts, a quirk exploited regularly by pop superfans devoted to acts like Ms. Swift or the South Korean group BTS."

"“Rich Men North of Richmond” sold 147,000 downloads in its first week, more than 10 times the sales of Mr. Combs’s “Fast Car,” the No. 2 song on the overall singles chart."

"Achieving chart success with savvy grass roots support was the ultimate repudiation of mainstream gatekeepers, Mr. MacDonald said. “I feel like we’re standing in a room right now where we’re not supposed to be standing, so let’s go,” he added. “That’s turned into a culture of its own.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/21/arts/music/rich-men-north-of-richmond-oliver-anthony.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSA-SY5Hro

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Aug-22-23 09:05 AM

54. "LOL why are people so simple."
In response to Reply # 53

This is among the worst songs I've ever heard.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Tue Aug-22-23 02:33 PM

58. "I just listened to that song and Malcolm X's voice seized my brain"
In response to Reply # 54

"How did the man... what did the man do to make you as dumb as you are."

Because man... these people have some legitimate grievances, like perpetually low wages for worker, but their understanding of these issues is so fucking piss poor that they're just embarrassments to this corner of the universe.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Aug-22-23 02:45 PM

59. "Exactly."
In response to Reply # 58

>Because man... these people have some legitimate grievances,
>like perpetually low wages for worker, but their understanding
>of these issues is so fucking piss poor that they're just
>embarrassments to this corner of the universe.

I have friends like this, I'm sure we all do. Those who have the proper grievances, as you say, but then veer off into blaming ... other poor people. It's breathtaking.

Cold Truth
44861 posts
Thu Aug-24-23 10:10 PM

60. "They’re already turning on him for saying diversity is our strength"
In response to Reply # 53

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/oliver-anthony-republican-accent-revealed-b2398458.html

After belting out his complaints about welfare recipients eating fudge rounds and making QAnon-adjacent allegations about politicians sex trafficking children, conservative darling Oliver Anthony has come under fire from his right-wing fan base for allegedly faking his accent.

Mr Anthony's song Rich Men North of Richmond — a reference to politicians living in Washington DC — became a viral hit among conservative audiences last week. After right-wing commenters on social media praised it for its raw and "real" messaging, they seem to have turned on Mr Anthony after a video emerged showing his "real" accent is not a twangy Appalachian one.

Infuriating conservatives even further is the fact that Mr Anthony also praised diversity as the US's main strength.

During a Fox News interview, Mr Anthony — who grew up in North Carolina — speaks with what sounds like a typical American accent.

The user also took offence to the fact the singer said that "diversity is our strength."

And they were not the only one lashing out at Mr Anthony. One user said he was trying to "become a rich man north of Richmond," while another came to a conclusion that many of Mr Anthony's left-wing critics already voiced; that he was an industry plant meant to enrapture Republican consumers starving for conservative media.

An X user, whose pinned tweet has links to videos praising a leader of the American Nazi Party called Mr Anthony an "algorithm boosted 'based' red beard hillbilly song guy" who was "faking his accent."

“I mean, we are the melting pot of the world,” Mr Anthony told the interviewer in the video, “and that’s what makes us strong, is our diversity, and we need to learn to harness that and appreciate it, and not use it as a political tool to keep everyone separate from each other you know?”

The user also took offence to the fact the singer said that "diversity is our strength."

And they were not the only one lashing out at Mr Anthony. One user said he was trying to "become a rich man north of Richmond," while another came to a conclusion that many of Mr Anthony's left-wing critics already voiced; that he was an industry plant meant to enrapture Republican consumers starving for conservative media.

These companies are testing the waters to see if they can create fake Republican singers to make more money off the Republican demographic,” user LomzLomz wrote. “And it works people don't see the bigger picture there is no invisible hand of the CIA only corporate string.”

Popular Twitter commenter KrangTNelson found the conservatives' swift reversal entertaining.

"Conservatives got a hold of a clip of the astroturfed country song guy saying America is a 'melting pot' and now he's f****** cancelled. Also potentially a CIA agent," they wrote.

Another user pointed out how conservatives insisting there was nothing inherently classist or racist about Mr Anthony's song immediately turned on him for not being racist enough.

I love how they’ve spent the last couple weeks insisting there’s nothing racist about the neo-Confederate welfare queen song but the moment the singer expresses support for a racially integrated society he gets cancelled for being woke,” a user with the handle Capricoda said.

Despite the song's number 1 status on country charts that take in streaming numbers, the song is getting virtually no airplay, according to an analysis conducted by Variety Magazine.

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

navajo joe
6574 posts
Fri Aug-18-23 06:30 PM

51. "Ballard now selling supps "co-developed" by "an undercove..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-18-23 06:33 PM by navajo joe

You know, the oldest rightwing grifter trick in the book. He joins the ranks of Ben Shapiro, Alex Jones, Dave Rubin, Glenn Beck and countless others sleazebags.

For those that thought this guy was legitimate or being unjustly attacked by "the left", (telephone) operators are standing by to take your order. Fucking marks.

Oh, btw. Ken Paxton is using the same rightwing social media influencer firm Ballard used to promote his movie. The same firm that is aligned with Brad Pascale (Donald Trump's former campaign manager) and other rightwing donors/operatives.

Leading up to the release of the film it had its influencers pushing fake statistics about child trafficking to help promote the film.

You can read all about it here:
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/08/14/influenceable-texas-politics-ken-paxton/

This quote sticks out because of just how closely it mirrors what one OKP saying in this post.

“Liberals, why are you so mad that people are trying to bring awareness to human trafficking? Is there something going on there?” asked Vince Dao, a conservative influencer with 196,000 Instagram followers. “Everyone watching this: Be sure to go see ‘Sound of Freedom’ to send them a message.”

We're four years passed when Blade Runner was supposed to have taken place. Stop being fucking rubes.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Aug-22-23 09:27 AM

55. "."
In response to Reply # 51
Tue Aug-22-23 09:28 AM by handle

Wrong thread, sorry

------------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Aug-22-23 09:44 AM

56. "But you are feeding the trolls. "
In response to Reply # 51

Let me back all the way up and start with a simple question. Do you think the OUR organization is actually rescuing/supporting kids from child prostitution?

I've spent the last week reading articles about Tim Ballard and it's clear that he is a self-promoting egotist who plays hard and fast with the truth...that also does the work of breaking up child smuggling rings.

So to me that's a net positive. And that's about all that really matters to me.

He wants to glamourize/mythologize himself or make a buck from doing it. Knock yourself out.

Qanon embracing the movie because it's "Qanon Adjacent". Who cares if the moving isn't pushing Qanon theories.

Here are a couple of articles I read from respectable outlets critical of Ballard and OUR (and yeah I don't love their use of the Underground Railroad language but yeah)

https://www.vox.com/culture/23794355/sound-of-freedom-controversy-true-story-qanon

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7a3qw/a-famed-anti-sex-trafficking-group-has-a-problem-with-the-truth

The vice is lengthy and goes into great detail, but the biggest thing they got on Ballard is that he exaggerates. The article sums it up like this:

"What we found aren't outright falsehoods but a pattern of image-burnishing and mythology-building, a series of exaggerations that are, in the aggregate, quite misleading. "

Again. It would be a big deal if he were lying and not actually rescuing kids or if he were stealing money, but nowhere in the 10,000 word article are they alleging that.

Instead, the articles does the "well actually" of correcting that a girl was actually 14 years old when she was kidnapped instead of 11 years old like he says on the lecture paid speaker circuit.

Or it does the weird well actually of saying a girl wasn't actually "kidnapped" because she went willingly even though they do acknowledge that the girls were duped to leave home and had their passports held by their traffickers.

Or that Ballard said that girls are forced to have sex 30 to 40 people a day and the record shows it was actually more like 20 times a day.

The Vice article is a lot of that sort of nitpicking.

Again, why care if they are actually saving children? I am not saving children from trafficking. I go on a limb and say you aren't doing anything to stop child trafficking. SO why waste energy fighting the person or org who is actually doing it?

What it all kind of boils down to is do you think Ballard and OUR is actually rescuing children?

If you don't, that's one argument and would love to hear why you think they aren't.

If you do, then why care about all the other stuff?

I can live with a guy who thinks he is anointed by god to do this work or making a portrait of Harriet Tubman bowing down to him if the net result is kids are being saved.

(Because this shit right here is wild

https://www.facebook.com/OURrescue/photos/a.1582633588641067/2036459536591801/?type=3)

I don't have to like him, or who he hangs out with, or who endorses him. But I can acknowledge a net good when I see one.

This reminds me a lot of the Shawn King debate and felt the same way. If the person is doing work the rest is noise and hateration.

The right is doing all sorts of awful shit which requires pushback and fighting, so I don't feel the need to fight them on something that you guys can't really point out to me the downside of.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Tue Aug-22-23 12:56 PM

57. "damn dude.. just reach out and ask to join their team"
In response to Reply # 56

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 11:59 AM

69. "You are giving them WAYYYYY benefit of the doubt for a moral panic"
In response to Reply # 56
Tue Sep-19-23 12:02 PM by handle

> The right is doing all sorts of awful shit which requires
>pushback and fighting, so I don't feel the need to fight them
>on something that you guys can't really point out to me the
>downside of.

Didn't you listen to the podcast I posted? Listen to it, it shows he's at best, even before this, a mixed bag.

Here's the HARM:

https://podcasts.musixmatch.com/podcast/today-explained-01hjz7abr0s9jvzptbvqrevwxr/episode/sound-of-freedom-01h6csz5g0qtt0s9p0cpwnyrzc

"And I'm told that at the time that they've all been, they've all been, you know, trafficked over and over again. I find out later that that's not true. I mean, these kinds of anti trafficking raids, they create demand where there isn't always demand. At least two of the kids on that raid had never been trafficked before. That was the first time, which means that like we created trauma for them, they may never have experienced."

tldr; Dude set-up a vigilante raid where he and his MEN, wearing tight t-shirts set-up cameras and asked trafficker for "26 kids, please."

The trafficker's didn't have that many kids. 2 of the kids likely were recruited/trafficked based on his order - meaning his request actually got kids trafficked. Several of the others were over age too.

Dude's a vigilante, who even if he means well is doing stupid shit that can hurt people as much as it can help them. And he's doing it in a tight t-shirt into a camera he set-up to show him doing it.

Fuck this guy and his ways. He's not BATMAN, he's Curtis Sliwa without the hat. (And even after the fake shit the Guardian Angels did, Silwa did end up getting shot by John Gotti henchmen - that's a better story than old boy tricking chicks into giving up for "a good casue.")

And you giving creeps like him ALL the benefit of the doubt saying "where's the harm?" - well, um, no thank you.

Child sex trafficking is BAD. We spends LOTS OF MONEY to stop it. We CAN do better if people make it a priority.

Vigilantism is bad, unless it's Batman - and then only some of the Batman tale.

------------

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Sep-18-23 05:29 PM

61. "DIS NIGGA!!!! Sexual Misconduct by Tim Ballard"
In response to Reply # 0

Tim Ballard’s Departure From Operation Underground Railroad Followed Sexual Misconduct

this dude had women faking they were his wife on undercover mission’s” to save children and coerced them to sleep with him to make sure spies weren’t fooled.

DIS NIGGA!!!

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkaqvn/tim-ballards-departure-from-operation-underground-railroad-followed-sexual-misconduct-investigation

Sources familiar with the situation said that the self-styled anti-slavery activist, who appears to be preparing for a Senate run, invited women to act as his “wife” on undercover overseas missions ostensibly aimed at rescuing victims of sex trafficking.

He would then allegedly coerce those women into sharing a bed or showering together, claiming that it was necessary to fool traffickers. Ballard, who was played by Jim Caviezel in the hit film Sound of Freedom, is said to have sent at least one woman a photo of himself in his underwear, festooned with fake tattoos, and to have asked another “how far she was willing to go,” in the words of a source, to save children. These sources requested anonymity because they fear retaliation.

The total number of women involved is believed to be higher than seven, as that would only account for employees, not contractors or volunteers. One source close to OUR has detailed knowledge of Ballard making sexual advances to a volunteer using methods similar to those he allegedly used with OUR employees. Those methods are also consistent with his conduct toward another former volunteer who spoke to VICE News.

In response to a detailed request for comment, a spokesperson for Operation Underground Railroad told VICE News:

Tim Ballard resigned from O.U.R. on June 22, 2023. He has permanently separated from O.U.R.

O.U.R. is dedicated to combatting sexual abuse, and does not tolerate sexual harassment or discrimination by anyone in its organization.

O.U.R. retained an independent law firm to conduct a comprehensive investigation of all relevant allegations, and O.U.R. continues to assess and improve the governance of the organization and protocols for its operations.

To preserve the integrity of its investigation and to protect the privacy of all persons involved, O.U.R. will not make any further public comment at this time.

O.U.R. is confident in its future as the leading organization committed to combatting sex trafficking and saving children who have been captured and sold into slavery.

The information from the sources with direct knowledge of OUR corroborates an anonymous letter that’s been circulating in the Utah philanthropic community for the past several months, which accuses Ballard of sexual harassment. VICE News first reported on the letter in July; the journalist Lynn Packer published it in full on Sunday.

Several weeks ago, an OUR employee who accompanied Tim on an undercover operation filed a sexual harassment complaint against him with OUR’s HR department,” the letter, which was sent this summer to donors to anti-trafficking causes, reads. “This resulted in an extensive internal investigation into Tim and his individual operational tactics and led to more women speaking up as part of the investigation process.

“It was ultimately revealed through disturbingly specific and parallel accounts, that Tim has been deceitfully and extensively grooming and manipulating multiple women for the past few years with the ultimate intent of coercing them to participate in sexual acts with him, under the premise of going where it takes and doing ‘whatever it takes’ to save a child.”

Women believed to be at the center of the investigation have not responded to requests for comment, or have declined to comment. People who know them say they fear retaliation and the effects scandal could have on OUR as it seeks to move on without Ballard—whom sources say is currently trying to work his way back into the organization.

Ballard did not respond to requests for comment submitted through his personal website; that of his new organization, the SPEAR Fund; and through a spokesperson whom OUR previously told VICE News is his personal representative.

Ballard, an ally of Donald Trump—he held an appointed post on a public-private anti-trafficking council in the Trump administration, and recently hosted the former president on his podcast—has said he’s strongly considering a run for the Senate seat set to be vacated by Mitt Romney. Speculation in the LDS community indicates that he’s planning to announce his bid on October 10. Last week, a spokesperson for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement to VICE News that contained a pointed rebuke of Ballard. The statement accused Ballard of inappropriately using the name of a church elder, President M. Russell Ballard—the two are not related, despite sharing a last name—“for Tim Ballard’s personal advantage and activity regarded as morally unacceptable.”

The church did not specify in its statement what activity it regarded as “morally unacceptable.”

Over the weekend, Ballard responded to VICE News’ reporting by giving an impassioned speech to a small crowd in Boston in which he said, “It’s not true, nothing you hear is true.” He also said he outright did not believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints condemned him in a statement issued to VICE News—something that did in fact happen, as has been confirmed by multiple Utah news outlets.

navajo joe
6574 posts
Mon Sep-18-23 07:31 PM

62. "But he was bringing awareness to the issue so it’s a net positive"
In response to Reply # 61

Or some bullshit.

When the Mormons were like “fuck that nigga” a few days ago I knew he must’ve done some foul shit. I was waiting for the shoe to drop.

I tried to tell niggas but they wanted to be contrarian and were trafficking goalposts

I thought lying about saving kids that escaped on their own and using psychics to “find” kids was low enough.

All these fucking rightwing grifters getting their turn with the dildo of consequences

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 08:38 AM

63. "lol holy fuck"

Cold Truth
44861 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 08:59 AM

64. "Apt phrasing, given the circumstances"
In response to Reply # 63

-Sig-

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 09:19 AM

65. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 64

Rjcc
Charter member
94966 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 09:19 AM

66. "mans was really sex trafficking in an ostensibly anti sex trafficking or..."

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 10:06 AM

67. "lol was *so obviously* how this story was going to end"

Whenever you've got a problematic pro-Trump dude loudly proclaiming how important he and his message is, it will end in disgrace. The final chapter's written before the public even starts reading, lol.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 11:16 AM

68. "I still think he'll run and win in 2024"
In response to Reply # 67

Romney's stepping down, he's just the kind of creep Utah-ians will vote for.

------------

navajo joe
6574 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 12:19 PM

70. "We can call this "
In response to Reply # 67

>Whenever you've got a problematic pro-Trump dude loudly
>proclaiming how important he and his message is, it will end
>in disgrace. The final chapter's written before the public
>even starts reading, lol.

Hastert’s Law

navajo joe
6574 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 12:32 PM

71. "SOF Producer felt 16 year old Trafficking Victim’s breasts in sting op..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://t.co/9RJ0klvzcz

Can’t swipe on phone. It was all done as part of investigation and no charges were filed but his undercover tactics went against best practices because he was trying to get younger girls which traffickers could possibly kidnap to make the guy posing as a sex tourist happy.

Not the kind of awareness you want to bring apparently

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 08:25 AM

72. "and buddy wonders why people are “against” this film"
In response to Reply # 71

when folks try to guilt you into paying them money or being “against sex trafficking” you should be able to identify the bullshit.

How many people predicted this shit would end badly? A WHOLE FUCKING LOT.

This is like the private border wall being built or being against drag shows.

You know damn well these people have photos in drag. You know damn well the people screaming about illegals have some undocumented maids and hired help. When GOP assholes try to guilt you into some shit its usually because they are doing the very thing they are shaming you about for not participating in the mob mentality.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13488481 Previous topic | Next topic