Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13340236

Subject: "What are you watching?" Previous topic | Next topic
SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 08:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What are you watching?"

I watched Son of Ingagi (1940) an all black horror/syfy film that was interesting enough.

Now I am watching Adios Amigos (1975) a comedy western with Richard Pryor. Pretty funny in the beginning.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
oh cool, lemme spazz out.
Jun 25th 2019
I was too young for King of Comedy back in the day
Jul 02nd 2019
Border (2018) on Hulu
Jun 26th 2019
Thank you OKP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Ingagi
Jun 26th 2019
Too Old To Die Young.....
Jun 27th 2019
I hear it picks up energy after
Jun 27th 2019
Euphoria, City on a Hill, Animal Kingdom
Jun 27th 2019
Ohhh. Animal Kingdom. I fell iff
Jun 27th 2019
      last season was my favorite
Jun 27th 2019
Big Little Lies, Euphoria, Queen Sugar, End Game
Jun 27th 2019
I forgot Snowfall is coming back
Jun 28th 2019
The Chi...
Jun 28th 2019
Ken Burns: Jazz (2011) a ten part series that explores the art
Jun 28th 2019
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Jun 28th 2019
same
Jul 03rd 2019
double same. watched again the next day
Jul 04th 2019
Amazon Prime Re-Watch Viewing
Jun 28th 2019
Terrace House
Jun 29th 2019
Big little lies, Years and Years
Jun 29th 2019
My wife just told me about Years and Years
Aug 13th 2019
Years and Years is crazy af
Aug 14th 2019
I couldn't get into Years And Years.
Aug 14th 2019
      I def get a Black Mirror vibe
Aug 15th 2019
Exhibit A Netflix
Jun 29th 2019
good omens on prime
Jul 04th 2019
I just finished this - it was pretty good.
Jul 04th 2019
that was interesting
Sep 23rd 2019
Dark/Web on Prime
Aug 11th 2019
Recently? "Hanna" and "The Boys" both on Amazon Prime
Aug 12th 2019
South Side.
Aug 12th 2019
The Boys, on Amazon
Aug 12th 2019
^^^ that show is the shit!
Aug 12th 2019
^^^^^^^^
Aug 12th 2019
RE: Me too, but I don’t like it as much as everyone else
Aug 12th 2019
yeah it was okay
Sep 10th 2019
^^^ THIS ONE
Aug 13th 2019
basically desus and mero lol
Aug 12th 2019
MotherFatherSon, Preacher, Rick & Morty
Aug 12th 2019
Umbrella Academy
Aug 12th 2019
You might like Hanna
Aug 13th 2019
      just cancelled my prime account :-(
Aug 14th 2019
My friend just recommended "The Family" on Netflix.
Aug 12th 2019
Harlots...
Aug 12th 2019
Perpetual Grace LTD on Epix
Aug 12th 2019
I want to check that out
Aug 14th 2019
Vinland Saga (Prime)
Aug 14th 2019
the animation is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Aug 15th 2019
Besides some of what's already mentioned, "Baskets" on FX
Aug 14th 2019
Louis muthafuckin' Anderson...
Aug 14th 2019
      Yep, stole the show from Galifianakis in the pilot.
Aug 14th 2019
           i legit have to keep reminding myself...
Aug 14th 2019
The Terror season 1 on Hulu
Aug 18th 2019
RE: The Terror season 1 on Hulu
Aug 21st 2019
In the Heat of the Night and Black-ish
Aug 18th 2019
Mindhunter S2
Aug 19th 2019
What We Do In The Shadows the tv show
Aug 20th 2019
Great recommendations here...
Aug 21st 2019
The Typewriter was good
Sep 08th 2019
RE: What are you watching?
Sep 09th 2019
Mindhunter S2, Just finished Insecure, The Office S3
Sep 10th 2019
Snowfall, Succession, David Makes Man & WuTang an American Saga..
Sep 10th 2019
All of these plus Greenleaf
Sep 23rd 2019
Oh yeah..just finished Mad Dogs and The Boys
Sep 10th 2019
I watched Mad Dogs when it was released
Sep 25th 2019
      Oh my! Just got to that part.
Sep 28th 2019
snowfall...
Sep 10th 2019
I tried watching Schitt's Creek but couldn't get in to it.
Sep 25th 2019
Mixed-ish is on to something... i'm in!. Breakin' deserves its own post.
Sep 26th 2019
Not sure about this one. The moms fine as hell tho
Sep 26th 2019

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 08:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "oh cool, lemme spazz out."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-25-19 09:01 PM by Nodima

Trying to cut back on podcasts, but I found movies easier to ease into than music for some reason, so I spent all day yesterday watching movies then writing how I felt about them.

THE KING OF COMEDY (3.5/5)

Pauline Kael famously hated this movie, and I get it. The silence and sterility with which this movie moves can be maddening, especially when the editing follows along and creates a specifically dispassionate feeling by jump cutting with little regard for the viewer's situational awareness. But then sometimes it works brilliantly, too - if the movie weren't so quiet, Pupkin's C-list stand-up routine would be a lot less interesting, nor would his waiting patiently in the lobby feel quite so unnerving.

De Niro was on to something here, but I think Scorcese struggled a bit to find the right frame of reference for it. He's directed funny dramas before, but this is clearly a dramatic comedy and I just don't think Scorcese gets comedy, something the last five minutes of the movie make clear for me as it's really the only time the movie specifically seeks out laugh lines and light-hearted music only to fall flat. In contrast, Masha serenading Jerry Langford or Rupert attempting to guide Jerry through the ransom call are legitimately funny moments even if they don't produce laughs.

The other struggle this movie has is an issue of perspective. We follow Rupert for most of the movie, and yet Scorcese opts to show these characters from the perspective of Jerry Langford and his staff. As a result, we never learn much about them as people, we never get any reasoning behind their obsession with this man other than that they have it. This plays better in the present than it likely did in its contemporaneous moment because we have so much additional text to draw from, whether that be Jake Gylenhaal's high-functioning compulsive obsessive Lou Bloom, or Aubrey Plaza's suicidal social media stalker Ingrid Thorburn. They (and the broader culture of fame in which we all now live) don't actually make The King of Comedy any better than it is, but it lets viewers fill in blanks in ways perhaps viewers of 1983 wouldn't have been able to do as easily.

Instead of filling in those blanks, Scorcese falls back on goofball movie nerd tropes like a Scooby Doo chase scene between Pupkin and studio security or a tense-for-no-reason street chase between Masha and Langford (seriously, what is the point?) or a house full of burning candles that our generation has rightly mined for parody rather than some kind of genuinely dramatic or romantic scenario. There's certainly plenty of Scorcese's keen eye at play here, but I found myself now and again wondering what this movie would've been like in the hands of someone like Brian De Palma or John Landis, directors who might've picked a side and gunned for it rather than attempting to linger in a chaotic neutral. The uniformly great performances make up for much of his inactivity but not all of it; ultimately, The King of Comedy is a blueprint for the better, fuller movies that would follow its lead decades later.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (4/5)

Properly unsettling, and yet another shining example of Kubrick's one of a kind ability to envision how any old bland scene like the introduction of a test subject to a group of onlookers could have life thrust into it via the camera. If a line Alex delivers during his therapy - "the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen" - wasn't lifted from the novella, Kubrick was clearly putting a bit of himself into Alex. That gets to the heart of a problem this movie is only going to have to fight harder and harder to reckon with as society marches on, however, and that's it's leery objectification of women offered without any commentary of consequence.

Ostensibly understood to be wrong because Alex is punished for his actions, the camera obsesses over women's breasts every chance it can to the point that even other characters - grown men and wardens of prisoners - are shown to be shocked by a pair of breasts as if they'd seen the Light of God. The woman in the theater has beautiful breasts, sure, but it's troublesome that that's the point of her rape scene rather than the rape or the vileness of the boys attempting it. There is a lot of this movie that isn't that, and honestly I think (a RateYourMusic user named lonely_panda, whose review of this movie really ought to have been published somewhere) got at it far better than I could ever hope to, so let me just say this:

A Clockwork Orange might be lacking in subtlety, but subtle wasn't the point here, was it? The set design is so in love with the eccentricities of mod culture it pierces through the authenticity of Mad Men and back again like a wet fever dream. Save but a handful of lines, McDowell and many other actors here perform as if on stage, belly-voiced and emphatic beyond any known reality. Someone looking for small messages might come to the conclusion that by goading the audience into sympathizing with the "cured" Alex's problems, A Clockwork Orange is arguing in favor of his right to beat and rape people if that's his true will, or that his journey through the streets and forests of his hometown after being released are meant to draw a direct parallel between Alex and Christ. If this movie does any of that, it's merely by accident in pursuit of its grander allegory of who gets to decide what's moral and what's not, with the wealthy writer (whose insane overacting is a honest pleasure while also going to show how impressive Mark Margolis' performance as Tio Salamanca really was) whispering it at all of us through the guise of a phone conversation.

Do I think this movie deserves as much unfiltered praise as it's received? No, not really. But Kubrick was a director that plainly knew what would make for engaging cinema, and uses all his gifts with sight and sound to take a movie that by all rights should've simply been the Boondock Saints of its day and elevates schlock into art through sheer talent.

THE GRADUATE (4/5)

The Graduate is so full of definitive moments that even if you've never seen the movie, chances are you'll recognize at least half of it thanks to both mimicry and homage. What you might not be able to gather about the movie from its reputation, however, is how its 105 minutes manage to sneak an art film into a rom-com, or a rom-com into an art film, whichever you'd prefer.

The first half of the movie is an equally hilarious and emotional roller coaster, as we drift along with nervous wreck Ben Braddock in his post-graduation malaise, finding solace in the effortless confidence and big dick energy of Mrs. Robinson. The second half is essentially the formula for the modern romantic comedy as we still know it today, with instantaneous love, heroes and villains, not at all creepy stalking montages and a huge set piece to round out the show.

Anyone who argues that's a problem just doesn't like having fun at the movies, but anyone who doesn't recognize the capriciousness of this film's two halves is just being willfully obtuse. Whether you're coming for the former or the latter movie, I can't imagine why anyone would come away from The Graduate feeling fully satisfied; I've usually counted myself among the ones who wish we'd kept diving into late nights at the Taft Hotel, swinging a cross at the fastest ex-husband in history be damned.

One other small gripe: I've always thought the Simon & Garfunkel stuff is really overused, and compared to all the clever things Nichols pulls off with camera angles, lenses and perspectives it's disappointing to see him rely so heavily on the dreariness of "Scarborough Fair" and the fatalism of "Sounds of Silence", particularly considering he had a theme song and it would've fit the ending quite well.

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF (4.5/5)

This is just a Made for Nodima ass movie, man. The utterly incomprehensible plot is about all that knocks it down from perfection, but this is why Glengarry Glen Ross is one of my favorite movies of all time: get some great performers, get some great dialogue and let them soar together. Always an exhausting watch, always a confounding watch, but an absolutely necessary one if you're ever thinking of calling yourself any kind of real movie fan. Especially for a first time director to wrangle these performances and capture it this smartly, it's just a phenomenal production all around.

Big and loud and fussy in a way that's totally owed to its origins as a stage production, there are so many ways this could've gone off the rails, but instead it's still king of the "repressed suburban couple lets their hair down" because that hyper-real approach leads to every character coming out the other end feeling like they've lived the centuries and centuries together that they joke about, and we've just got the one little second when it all snapped and broke apart to nibble on. Revolutionary Road might make a little more sense from a plot perspective, Blue Valentine is certainly more honest, Scenes from a Marriage is far more comprehensive, but if you want to feel the psychology of a relationship at its final moments, Virginia Woolf is the poetry that'll get you there.

TOMB RAIDER 2018 (3/5)

This is kind of a throwback to the lower stakes of action movies in the 2000s, stuff like The Mummy, the original trilogy of X-Men films and the xXx series. It's not always imaginatively shot and you know every beat the movie's planning to hit before the production company titles have finished, but it has so much heart to it and one or two higher quality set pieces that by the end you're totally bought in.

Vikander proves she's an actress to be reckoned with here; Ex Machina is all I've seen her in otherwise and it can be easy to hide behind stellar material and CGI that highlights your best features to the point of surreality. Tomb Raider offers her no easy outs, asking her to run and jump and scream and shout and chase a bunch of kids through a Southeast Asian pier market but still find time to develop a relationship with her father (Dominic West also comports himself with total class) and develop a charming comedy routine with Nick Frost (okay, that part's probably not hard). She's game for all of it, and portrays Lara Croft with the sort of investment it took most of the Marvel roster until the third phase to commit so earnestly.

The two highlight sequences? A comedy of errors aboard a rotten military plane at the cliff of a waterfall that probably kicked ass in a theater environment and the token bit where the director and actors fake a video game scenario for a moment, with Lara stealthing her way through enemy camp to rescue her friends. The sound design and cleverness of the way she slinks in and through the environment is both clever on a regular film level and a nice, clean way of nodding to what made the Tomb Raider reboot special without getting too desperate about it. That's another nice thing about the movie, just about every acknowledgement that it's a video game is just a wink and a nod rather than full blown fan service or a bent over backwards and shoehorned element that's just weird out of context. The best sign yet that video game adapters might finally be learning from their comic counterparts. I really think this movie got a much harsher reception than it deserved and I wish I'd gone out to see it. Was it because too many people attach her face to a murderous android's and can't see the obvious charm she has? Because she is quite thin and that makes it somehow hard to believe she could be a video game character superhero? I go back to my comps earlier - those aren't "good" movies, but nobody took a shit on them either, we just let them be fun and take us on a dumb ride.

Would I recommend this movie? I don't know, not really I guess, but it's perfectly good empty calories when you're looking for an action flick with a pretty face. It's certainly not the disaster Assassin's Creed was. I hope they iron out the rougher edges and go on with the sequel. With Atomic Blonde, Anna, this movie, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, women are having a real moment in terms of kicking ass in theaters, but the moment still in search of its definitive film. This wasn't it, but Tomb Raider is the sort of franchise that could deliver that and Vikander's got the skill and the buy-in to take it there if the studio can give her a good enough script and big / clever enough action sequences.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 09:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "I was too young for King of Comedy back in the day"
In response to Reply # 1

I want to see it before I watch the Joker.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 09:21 PM

2. "Border (2018) on Hulu"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-26-19 09:35 PM by SuiteLady

Before the debate I watched this movie called Border about a lady who works as a Swedish customs agent and can smell emotions. So as border patrol she doesn't smell the contraband but the fear and nervousness that indicates someone should be searched. Anyway, she meets a man who's look and scent are striking. She grows closer to him and what she finds out about him and herself was surprising. This movie ended up having a bit of the folklore/fantasy element to it.

It was good, but **warning** there is a crime element to it and the crime that way committed was awful!!

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 10:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Thank you OKP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Ingagi"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 02:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Too Old To Die Young....."
In response to Reply # 0

Its too slow for me..... I mean I dont mind slow burns and lingering shots.... but these eps could have easily been 45min to an hour instead of an hour and a half. I watch the first two eps. Debating if I want to stick with it.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 02:36 PM

5. "I hear it picks up energy after"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm in the same boat, but two of the next three episodes are what was shown at Cannes, and I consistently hear that episodes 7-10 are pretty good, so...

It's an audacious show, I kind of want to see how it plays out. I might take 6 months to get there. It's not my fault I don't know Spanish fluently and had to read the subtitles but DAMN is episode 2 a lot of nothing.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 02:55 PM

6. "Euphoria, City on a Hill, Animal Kingdom"
In response to Reply # 0

Euphoria(HBO) - it's kind of on Larry Clark tip, but I'm really enjoying the performances and style so far.

City on a Hill (SHO) - I'm kind on the fence if I want to keep going. Bacon is always a great scumbag, but it's so far just a collection of Boston/Southie tropes that we've seen over and over.

Animal Kingdom (TNT) - I kinda love this show because it knows exactly what it is. It's pretty much the anti Sons of Anarchy because SOA was the same type of show that swore it was epic top notch TV.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 03:17 PM

8. "Ohhh. Animal Kingdom. I fell iff"
In response to Reply # 6

I need to catch up. I’m a season behind.

Damn. Should’ve binged last weekend.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 03:44 PM

9. "last season was my favorite "
In response to Reply # 8

I didnt even realize this season had started. I binged it last week

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 03:16 PM

7. "Big Little Lies, Euphoria, Queen Sugar, End Game"
In response to Reply # 0

BLL is dope. They added Streep and she is killing it as the delusional mother who can’t believe her son was an abusive rapist.

Euphoria has Zyndeya as a drugged up teen in a drugged up HS. Music is banging, not sure I can watch it tho. That young wild stuff is mad uncomfortable and has me scared for my kids.

QS is still doing it big. Powerful stuff so far this season. Gorgeous cinema.

End Game. Well, I finally got a crispy version on the stick. This joint it mad long. I keep falling asleep. I watch an hour a night. Hopefully the 3rd act will live up to the hype because the middle of this is snooze fest. Too much talking, not enough action.

I’m waiting for Snowfall, Greenleaf and Succession.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Fri Jun-28-19 12:31 PM

10. "I forgot Snowfall is coming back"
In response to Reply # 7

It's not as good as it should be but it's good enough to keep going. I at least hope we're past Franklin being an idiot

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Fri Jun-28-19 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "The Chi..."
In response to Reply # 0

I watch with my eldest grandson

and the handmaid’s tale

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Fri Jun-28-19 06:57 PM

12. "Ken Burns: Jazz (2011) a ten part series that explores the art"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-28-19 07:13 PM by SuiteLady

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Fri Jun-28-19 07:10 PM

13. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse"
In response to Reply # 0

I was surprised at how engrossed I became watching this movie.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 10:55 AM

19. "same"
In response to Reply # 13

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Thu Jul-04-19 12:00 PM

22. "double same. watched again the next day"
In response to Reply # 13

I was feeling pure joy!

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."

jane eyre
Member since Jan 16th 2007
715 posts
Fri Jun-28-19 11:30 PM

14. "Amazon Prime Re-Watch Viewing"
In response to Reply # 0

This is stuff I'm re-watching that I've already watched on Amazon:

1. Fleabag season 2
Starring Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Fleabag--a lonely, 30-something woman who tries to piece back together her life and herself when she's shattered by grief. The story telling is creative and deep and funny. Fleabag season 2 is perfect and somehow even better than season 1 (which was in a league all on its own, already). I think Fleabag is one of the best TV shows of all time! The first time I watched season 2, this feeling came over me that I was watching something special. Fleabag made me fall in love with the creative project that it cooks up.

2. Mozart in the Jungle
I'm sad Amazon Prime cancelled this show. Some episodes of Mozart in the Jungle feel magical. It's all about the loves and passions found in an orchestra (and the orchestra's machine)--and how sometimes it's hard to love people as you try to understand those passions and bring them to life. The show is charming, feel-good, all heart, and without cynicism or snark.

Gael Garcia Bernal, Bernadette Peters, and Malcolm McDowell make this worth the watch, but Bernal is the star!

3. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Marvelous Maisel takes place in 1950s New York City. Mrs. Maisel is an upper middle class Jewish woman who pursues a stand-up career. I adore this show, especially the pacing of the dialogue, set design, and costuming. It appeals to my love for particularity and details. I didn't think I'd like Mrs. Maisel, and avoided watching it for a long time. I'm glad I was wrong.

jane eyre
715 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 12:11 AM

15. "Terrace House"
In response to Reply # 14

It's a low-key, Real World type of Japanese reality show. FYI: subtitles are involved!

Six strangers (3 men, 3 women), move into a house and live together. At any time, for any reason, house mates can decide that they want to leave Terrace House. House mates don't have to leave one at a time, either.

When house mates leave Terrace House, a new set of house mates arrives to live at the house, so that the number of people in the house is always 6 (3 men, 3 women).

There's also a permanent cast of commentators. They talk to one another and the viewing audience about the people and happenings inside Terrace House.

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 06:44 AM

16. "Big little lies, Years and Years"
In response to Reply # 0

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Tue Aug-13-19 06:54 AM

37. "My wife just told me about Years and Years"
In response to Reply # 16

I started The Boys last night but “The Kids” weren’t having it.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 11:31 AM

40. "Years and Years is crazy af"
In response to Reply # 37

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 05:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
46. "I couldn't get into Years And Years."
In response to Reply # 16

Someone said it was akin to Black Mirror, being that it's set in the not to distant future and the technology angle. What they don't say is that it ends up feeling like a watered down version of This Is Us mixed with A Million Little Things (ABC). I'll finish it one day but I'm out.

https://digife.com

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Aug-15-19 09:53 AM

49. "I def get a Black Mirror vibe"
In response to Reply # 46

and I guess there is a bit of This Is Us in there since it revolves around one family

It’s dark as shit tho... and kind of scary given how things are going these last few years.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 06:32 PM

17. "Exhibit A Netflix"
In response to Reply # 0

pretty similar to other shows about innocent people being convicted, but still held my attention.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Thu Jul-04-19 07:47 AM

20. "good omens on prime"
In response to Reply # 0

such a trip!

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Thu Jul-04-19 11:07 AM

21. "I just finished this - it was pretty good."
In response to Reply # 20

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Mon Sep-23-19 11:06 AM

63. "that was interesting"
In response to Reply # 20

watched it over the weekend.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sun Aug-11-19 02:04 PM

23. "Dark/Web on Prime"
In response to Reply # 0

It isn't good in my opinion. I mean one or two episodes were good, but there are a total of 8.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14026 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 06:37 AM

24. "Recently? "Hanna" and "The Boys" both on Amazon Prime"
In response to Reply # 0

The Boys is the closest thing I've ever seen to what the world might actually be like if there was a such thing as superheroes. Pretty well-written show too. Definitely engaging.

Hanna is just brilliant period. I've been recommending it to everyone.

Speaking of superheroes, I watched Brightburn recently and it was hilarious as most horrors are to me. The superman angle gave it a pretty fresh perspective tho.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 08:57 AM

25. "South Side."
In response to Reply # 0

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 10:04 AM

26. "The Boys, on Amazon "
In response to Reply # 0

2 eps left. It's so fucking good

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3557 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 10:24 AM

28. "^^^ that show is the shit!"
In response to Reply # 26

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 10:36 AM

29. "^^^^^^^^"

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 07:44 PM

34. "RE: Me too, but I don’t like it as much as everyone else "

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

mista k5
16415 posts
Tue Sep-10-19 11:16 AM

59. "yeah it was okay"
In response to Reply # 34

i enjoyed it more as the story developed but i wouldnt necessarily recommend it.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Tue Aug-13-19 09:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
38. "^^^ THIS ONE"

mista k5
16415 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 10:08 AM

27. "basically desus and mero lol"
In response to Reply # 0

i cant really get into any shows lately. i did watch one episode of the boys (thanks carls jr) it seemed okay. might watch more.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 10:42 AM

30. "MotherFatherSon, Preacher, Rick & Morty"
In response to Reply # 0

My wife is a fan of all things British television, so when Starz picked up this BBC series, MotherFatherSon, she was all over it. I started watching it with her, and was hooked.

Preacher is back for a final season, and while it has fallen off some (a lot), since the first season, I'm going to see it through to the end.

I don't know how I slept on Rick & Morty this long. I stopped paying attention to Adult Swim years ago. I sat down with my son and his buddies to watch an episode, and since then I've been binge watching as much as I can. Adult Swim OnDemand is stingy with making past seasons available for free. Every week or so they make a random 4-5 episodes free. So, I'm plowing through them as soon as they come up.

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 02:45 PM

31. "Umbrella Academy"
In response to Reply # 0

The first post game of thrones show I've liked. Went through a 10 episode season in a week, which for me is quick as shit.

Now that I'm through that I gotta find something new, but my patience is low for new shows.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14026 posts
Tue Aug-13-19 02:53 AM

36. "You might like Hanna"
In response to Reply # 31

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 11:28 AM

39. "just cancelled my prime account :-("
In response to Reply # 36
Wed Aug-14-19 11:29 AM by shygurl

Watching Netflix's Lost in Space now, which isn't too bad and is slickly shot.

Thanks for the rec though.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 02:55 PM

32. "My friend just recommended "The Family" on Netflix."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-12-19 02:56 PM by Brew

Read the description and it sounds like the type of thing that will make me homicidal. Can't wait.

"An enigmatic conservative Christian group known as the Family wields enormous influence in Washington, D.C., in pursuit of its global ambitions."

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 07:07 PM

33. "Harlots..."
In response to Reply # 0

It’s the oldest profession lol

jane eyre
715 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 08:13 PM

35. "Perpetual Grace LTD on Epix"
In response to Reply # 0

Starring:
Jimmi Simpson
Sir Ben Kingsley
Jacki Weaver
Terry O'Quinn
Luis Guzman
Chris Conrad
Kurtwood Smith
Damon Herriman
Hana Mae Lee

Sir Ben Kingsley sings a cover of Prince's "When Doves Cry" and it's everything.

I love this show.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 10:46 PM

47. "I want to check that out"
In response to Reply # 35

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 11:39 AM

41. "Vinland Saga (Prime)"
In response to Reply # 0

Anime about vikings, but pretty accessible (and thoughtful) to non-anime fans. I never binge anything but I did with this. In some ways reminds me of Game of Thrones.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Thu Aug-15-19 09:33 AM

48. "the animation is BEAUTIFUL!!!!"
In response to Reply # 41

I was already a fan of the Manga so I been hyped for the anime. Looks like they did it right.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 12:18 PM

42. "Besides some of what's already mentioned, "Baskets" on FX"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/baskets

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 01:59 PM

43. "Louis muthafuckin' Anderson..."
In response to Reply # 42

..dude could've easily won the BSA Emmy every year for his role as Christine Baskets.

The show is hilarious.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 03:56 PM

44. "Yep, stole the show from Galifianakis in the pilot."
In response to Reply # 43

and kept it up for 4 seasons now.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Aug-14-19 04:59 PM

45. "i legit have to keep reminding myself..."
In response to Reply # 44

..like, "..damn, this mom rocks!.. wait!.. THAT'S LOUIS ANDERSON!.. "

Happens at least once an ep.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sun Aug-18-19 07:01 PM

50. "The Terror season 1 on Hulu"
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

SistaSaturn
Member since Sep 23rd 2005
232 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 12:16 PM

54. "RE: The Terror season 1 on Hulu"
In response to Reply # 50

I loved this series! I was crunching on ice the whole time though...

I'm a lurker. What you have just posted must have been that awesome!

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Sun Aug-18-19 08:24 PM

51. "In the Heat of the Night and Black-ish"
In response to Reply # 0

That’s about it.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Mon Aug-19-19 09:34 AM

52. "Mindhunter S2"
In response to Reply # 0

pretty good so far...

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 07:33 PM

53. "What We Do In The Shadows the tv show"
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

SistaSaturn
Member since Sep 23rd 2005
232 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 12:17 PM

55. "Great recommendations here..."
In response to Reply # 0

I want to meet some of you based on your viewing pleasures...lol

I'm a lurker. What you have just posted must have been that awesome!

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sun Sep-08-19 04:56 PM

56. "The Typewriter was good"
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Sep-09-19 09:52 PM

57. "RE: What are you watching?"
In response to Reply # 0

The Terror: Infamy (AMC)
Thumbs up so far. I'm biased tho; I root for Asian-American films/tv to be successful. Objectively, cinematography is first-rate and the revelation of details is done in a manner to my liking (e.g., 1st episode- the 2 people walking on the pier after dinner; you'll miss something if you not aware of the entire frame). Waiting to see if the filmmakers didn't waste the opportunity to do interesting things with the historical context/setting. The lead actor is pretty shitty smh.

The Naked Director Season 1 (Netflix)
Just finished it a few nights ago. Entertaining binge watch. Kinda wish they didn't play as much material for silly laughs. Misato Morita as Kaoru Kuroki is so fuckin magnetic. Gotta check her other stuff out. A bunch of stuff dealing with periphery characters are not as resonant as it could've been. It's a damn shame because doing so would've elevated the material even with the comedic tones kept as is. The lead actor is pretty shitty here, too smh.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Sep-10-19 11:11 AM

58. "Mindhunter S2, Just finished Insecure, The Office S3"
In response to Reply # 0

Oh yeah...S7 of Catfish..lol

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Sep-10-19 12:06 PM

60. "Snowfall, Succession, David Makes Man & WuTang an American Saga.."
In response to Reply # 0

All 4 are GREAT!!!

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Sep-23-19 01:07 PM

64. "All of these plus Greenleaf"
In response to Reply # 60

I need to catch up on Dave Makes Man

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Sep-10-19 12:29 PM

61. "Oh yeah..just finished Mad Dogs and The Boys"
In response to Reply # 0

Mad Dogs was fucking nuts

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Sep-25-19 07:10 PM

66. "I watched Mad Dogs when it was released"
In response to Reply # 61
Wed Sep-25-19 07:11 PM by nipsey

The first couple of episodes were better than the rest, but it was still good. The short person walking in with the cat mask and the gun was one of the most "WTF?" television moments I've seen in years.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sat Sep-28-19 02:22 PM

69. "Oh my! Just got to that part."
In response to Reply # 66

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Sep-10-19 05:36 PM

62. "snowfall..."
In response to Reply # 0

just started season 3

couple things....

I told my son if anything goes down and he needs to run, not to come see me. I could live with never seeing him again than him going to jail. The cops know you’ll always come back to see mama. I cried at that part...

then...

Kevin declares war and melody getting turn out. Imagine that as a parent...a cop

good show...

We had a black cop like in my neighborhood lol

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed Sep-25-19 06:49 PM

65. "I tried watching Schitt's Creek but couldn't get in to it."
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 05:33 AM

67. "Mixed-ish is on to something... i'm in!. Breakin' deserves its own post."
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 08:36 AM

68. "Not sure about this one. The moms fine as hell tho"
In response to Reply # 67

and I definitely wonder when some folks haven’t seen certain movies.

Why would Dre think his kids have seen that movie if he never showed it to them?

Lobby General Discussion topic #13340236 Previous topic | Next topic