Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #184637

Subject: "Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad co..." Previous topic | Next topic
NewMark2009
Member since May 16th 2009
45 posts
Sat May-23-09 10:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad co..."

so when an artist receives a bad contract.. with fine printed words.. do you think there should be some kind of action taken against them?.. if it was your child how would you feel?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up ba...
May 23rd 2009
May 24th 2009
NO. don't sign a bad contract, or deal with the consequences
May 24th 2009
RE: NO. don't sign a bad contract, or deal with the consequences
May 24th 2009
      where you come from does not apply here.
May 25th 2009
      RE: where you come from does not apply here.
May 26th 2009
May 26th 2009
Jul 22nd 2009
      A good case could be made for corporate gangsters being...
Jul 28th 2009
Jul 28th 2009
Aug 04th 2009

ILL FLOW
Member since Nov 16th 2004
3221 posts
Sat May-23-09 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up ba..."
In response to Reply # 0

i'd have to say sure. ppl draw up f--d up contracts and ruin ppl's lives and get bonuses...

meanwhile, i steal a candy bar and get 3-5 yrs.

hell naw.

http://oneyoungsta.com/

NewMark2009
45 posts
Sun May-24-09 12:28 PM

2. "RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up ba..."
In response to Reply # 1

aint that the truth... they know what they are doing before they even do it.. like entrapment..

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Sun May-24-09 05:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "NO. don't sign a bad contract, or deal with the consequences"
In response to Reply # 0

what kind of "mommy help me" bullshit is this? if you're too stupid to have a lawyer explain your contract, that's your fault. if you get taken advantage of, yourself is to blame.

NewMark2009
45 posts
Sun May-24-09 09:16 PM

4. "RE: NO. don't sign a bad contract, or deal with the consequences"
In response to Reply # 3

where I come from... your word is your contract... you can get yourself hurt in this world playing with peoples lives and no contract will save you...

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Mon May-25-09 01:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "where you come from does not apply here."
In response to Reply # 4

a contract is a contract.

when you're dealing with businesses, companies, LLC's and etc. contracts are needed to draw up specific requirements from each individual involved in the agreement.

thats why you always get a lawyer to look over your contract.

kinda simple.

NewMark2009
45 posts
Tue May-26-09 07:13 AM

6. "RE: where you come from does not apply here."
In response to Reply # 5

may not apply to you if your not an artist or don't do music.. i'm sure those who know the nature of the business would love to know.. or would love to learn from experience.. cause I've been in the business and through it all... would you like to talk about how you feel about your boss at work when he asks you to do things thats not in your job description?.. in fact.. it would almost be the same business..

NewMark2009
45 posts
Tue May-26-09 07:16 AM

7. "RE: where you come from does not apply here."
In response to Reply # 5

Artist discussion.. is the name of this blog.. i don't even think they have a room for people like yourself.. which do you think means more?.. your word or a contract? both of them can get you hurt

ILL FLOW
Member since Nov 16th 2004
3221 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 12:47 PM

8. "RE: where you come from does not apply here."
In response to Reply # 7

yeah, "your word is your bond". that's how i was brought up, but the legal guys do take unnecessary advantage of ppl in all aspects of corporate life. and the advantage is UNFAIR.

regardless of your "MOMMY HELP ME" statement, the truth is these lawyers and legal types are setting out to do something negative with the contract they give ppl.

and that's just not right

http://oneyoungsta.com/

Midtown Records
Member since Sep 29th 2006
4776 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "A good case could be made for corporate gangsters being..."
In response to Reply # 4

that much more gangster than the folks are where you come from, wherever that is.

Lamentations 3:26
It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

LucidDreamer85
Member since Jun 15th 2009
840 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 04:41 PM

9. "RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up ba..."
In response to Reply # 0

It is the artists responsibility to himself to get it checked over by somebody who has dealt with music contracts before or some kind of lawyer who will understand and be able to decipher the language within the contract...

It's one thing to promise something and then fall back on it, it's another when it is in the contract and you sign it....

Don't be so eager to sign it, they always have THEIR best interest in mind so take note of that and be cautious and careful when signing.

Always have a few people look it over and never be afraid to question the wording and it's meaning within the contract.

I have never signed one as I have not released any of my music yet....will soon though, but I went to school for music production and took classes on just this kind of thing...

You need to watch your own back because nobody else is..

Burt Reynoldz
Member since Nov 24th 2007
171 posts
Tue Aug-04-09 10:54 AM

11. "RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up ba..."
In response to Reply # 0

Being an attorney (well, at least I will be when I find out the results of the bar exam I just took), the answer to that is either "Yes, if..." or "No, but..." Basically, if the contract was signed/formed under certain circumstances such as duress, or fraud/false representation, then sure, you can bring certain amounts of liability against the offending party. To that end though, it won't ever be criminal liability. You could always have an action for breach of contract (which would usually amount to either expectation or reliance damages), or you could have an action to have the contract voided as not being valid under any number of reasons (such as fraud, duress, etc.)

However, the general rule is that if you sign a contract, you are more or less acknowledging that you read and agree to the terms. That's why you get a lawyer.

----------------------
You were men once! FREEEEEEEEDOM!

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #184637 Previous topic | Next topic