Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectDo you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad contracts?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=184637
184637, Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad contracts?
Posted by NewMark2009, Sat May-23-09 10:40 AM
so when an artist receives a bad contract.. with fine printed words.. do you think there should be some kind of action taken against them?.. if it was your child how would you feel?
184645, RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad contracts?
Posted by ILL FLOW, Sat May-23-09 10:16 PM
i'd have to say sure. ppl draw up f--d up contracts and ruin ppl's lives and get bonuses...

meanwhile, i steal a candy bar and get 3-5 yrs.

hell naw.
184647, RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad contracts?
Posted by NewMark2009, Sun May-24-09 12:28 PM
aint that the truth... they know what they are doing before they even do it.. like entrapment..
184653, NO. don't sign a bad contract, or deal with the consequences
Posted by justin_scott, Sun May-24-09 05:57 PM
what kind of "mommy help me" bullshit is this? if you're too stupid to have a lawyer explain your contract, that's your fault. if you get taken advantage of, yourself is to blame.
184660, RE: NO. don't sign a bad contract, or deal with the consequences
Posted by NewMark2009, Sun May-24-09 09:16 PM
where I come from... your word is your contract... you can get yourself hurt in this world playing with peoples lives and no contract will save you...
184672, where you come from does not apply here.
Posted by sweeneykovar, Mon May-25-09 01:04 PM
a contract is a contract.

when you're dealing with businesses, companies, LLC's and etc. contracts are needed to draw up specific requirements from each individual involved in the agreement.

thats why you always get a lawyer to look over your contract.

kinda simple.
184683, RE: where you come from does not apply here.
Posted by NewMark2009, Tue May-26-09 07:13 AM
may not apply to you if your not an artist or don't do music.. i'm sure those who know the nature of the business would love to know.. or would love to learn from experience.. cause I've been in the business and through it all... would you like to talk about how you feel about your boss at work when he asks you to do things thats not in your job description?.. in fact.. it would almost be the same business..
184684, RE: where you come from does not apply here.
Posted by NewMark2009, Tue May-26-09 07:16 AM
Artist discussion.. is the name of this blog.. i don't even think they have a room for people like yourself.. which do you think means more?.. your word or a contract? both of them can get you hurt
185589, RE: where you come from does not apply here.
Posted by ILL FLOW, Wed Jul-22-09 12:47 PM
yeah, "your word is your bond". that's how i was brought up, but the legal guys do take unnecessary advantage of ppl in all aspects of corporate life. and the advantage is UNFAIR.

regardless of your "MOMMY HELP ME" statement, the truth is these lawyers and legal types are setting out to do something negative with the contract they give ppl.

and that's just not right
185649, A good case could be made for corporate gangsters being...
Posted by Midtown Records, Tue Jul-28-09 08:22 PM
that much more gangster than the folks are where you come from, wherever that is.
185644, RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad contracts?
Posted by LucidDreamer85, Tue Jul-28-09 04:41 PM
It is the artists responsibility to himself to get it checked over by somebody who has dealt with music contracts before or some kind of lawyer who will understand and be able to decipher the language within the contract...

It's one thing to promise something and then fall back on it, it's another when it is in the contract and you sign it....

Don't be so eager to sign it, they always have THEIR best interest in mind so take note of that and be cautious and careful when signing.

Always have a few people look it over and never be afraid to question the wording and it's meaning within the contract.

I have never signed one as I have not released any of my music yet....will soon though, but I went to school for music production and took classes on just this kind of thing...

You need to watch your own back because nobody else is..
185722, RE: Do you think criminal action should go against people who draw up bad contracts?
Posted by Burt Reynoldz, Tue Aug-04-09 10:54 AM
Being an attorney (well, at least I will be when I find out the results of the bar exam I just took), the answer to that is either "Yes, if..." or "No, but..." Basically, if the contract was signed/formed under certain circumstances such as duress, or fraud/false representation, then sure, you can bring certain amounts of liability against the offending party. To that end though, it won't ever be criminal liability. You could always have an action for breach of contract (which would usually amount to either expectation or reliance damages), or you could have an action to have the contract voided as not being valid under any number of reasons (such as fraud, duress, etc.)

However, the general rule is that if you sign a contract, you are more or less acknowledging that you read and agree to the terms. That's why you get a lawyer.