Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #90202

Subject: "OK creatives. How close are you?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 07:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OK creatives. How close are you?"

do you know exactly what it is you want to do yet?
do you know how to get there?
can you see it, or are you still years away?
how much harder has it been than you anticipated?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
wow... tough question
Oct 14th 2005
RE: wow... tough question
Oct 14th 2005
Still struggling
Oct 14th 2005
RE: OK creatives. How close are you?
Oct 14th 2005
RE:
Oct 14th 2005
      I admit, I just made it up.
Oct 14th 2005
           LOL
Oct 16th 2005
I'm interested in specific answers... here's mine
Oct 14th 2005
^^I've long respected this man's gangsta^^
Oct 14th 2005
      self-promotion has always been a problem with me too
Oct 16th 2005
           Is it music or film?
Oct 16th 2005
           film is my primary focus
Oct 16th 2005
                RE: massive cosign
Oct 16th 2005
                RE: massive cosign
Oct 17th 2005
                RE: film is my primary focus
Oct 31st 2005
                     hmmm...
Oct 31st 2005
           I guess I'm all those things too
Oct 17th 2005
Oct 14th 2005
Not close, and resigned to that fact
Oct 14th 2005
...shit, man. I'm just having fun with the ride.
Oct 14th 2005
well I got one movie review published
Oct 14th 2005
Oct 15th 2005
my turn
Oct 15th 2005
Oct 15th 2005
I have a lot but that's what they told Diddy, Oprah, Russell, and J
Oct 15th 2005
So close, yet so far
Oct 15th 2005
i'm less than two years away.
Oct 16th 2005
I'm just sustaining my vision
Oct 16th 2005
Oh the questions I've been dreading to answer.
Oct 16th 2005
this in particular is very crippling
Oct 16th 2005
I honestly don't know if I'll ever get there
Oct 17th 2005
I'm just here to send love and support
Oct 17th 2005
so close.
Oct 31st 2005
nevermind, somebody just loaned me Lost Season 1
Oct 31st 2005
man, i lost a whole week that DVD
Oct 31st 2005
Depends, I guess.
Oct 31st 2005
Nov 01st 2005
I'm far too jaded an artist to answer these silly questions...
Nov 29th 2005

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 08:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "wow... tough question"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-14-05 08:13 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

and possibly better suited to General Discussion

in any case... it's definitely been a lot harder than i originally anticipated, but incredibly educational along the way

i like to think i'm close to it... depends on what "it" actually is, of course. is it just getting your work "out there" on a wide level, or is it actually having that work accepted and your labors rewarded with money and praise? if it's the former, yeah... i think i'm close. the latter... we'll have to see

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 08:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: wow... tough question"
In response to Reply # 1

> and possibly better suited to General Discussion

nah. too many idiots.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 08:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Still struggling"
In response to Reply # 0

"do you know exactly what it is you want to do yet?"
Yeah, but I'm starting to think about trying some other avenues out.

"do you know how to get there?"
Yes and it is all ins and connections which I still lack.

"can you see it, or are you still years away?"
I can see it; I just need to find a way to get other people to see it as well.

"how much harder has it been than you anticipated?"
Can't really tell. I've invested too much time in my stupid job (to make money) and not enough time on what I came out to LA for. I've recommitted so we shall see.

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 08:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: OK creatives. How close are you?"
In response to Reply # 0

>do you know exactly what it is you want to do yet?

I have a lot of leads, but nothing solid. Everything (and I mean everything) is in transition right now. Writing is the one thing I think I can do -- write, write, write. So I need to write more, and more seriously, and revise my writing, and collect my writing, etc. Especially right now I'm working on developing the quick ideas that come to me, saving them, becoming more organized. It's hard, but I'm working on it.

>do you know how to get there?

I know various ways to get there, but no, I have no idea how *I'M* going to get there. I take solace in the fact that I'm young, and that nothing needs to be set in stone yet.

>can you see it, or are you still years away?

Obviously years away. I'm in no rush, right now, but it's something I want very badly.

>how much harder has it been than you anticipated?

I have incredible respect for professionally creative people. They have a talent that I want to acquire -- the ability to produce even when there's no real reason to produce at all. There's like 7 people ever that manage to live their entire lives at creativity's peak, so for the rest of us we have to work and toil and learn tricks and dedicate ourselves to producing and hope that something good comes of it. Personally, I think that forced modelled of creativity WILL lead to something good eventually, as long as you've got it. Even Van Gogh dropped some clunkers.

So yeah, basically I'm still young enough to need to worry much. If I do it, I do it, but if I don't, I don't. I'm not committed.

And if we all answer these in good faith, are you going to as well?

Reel
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
137 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 09:45 PM

7. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 4

>I have incredible respect for professionally creative people.
>They have a talent that I want to acquire -- the ability to
>produce even when there's no real reason to produce at all.

Cosign. I'm in a rut right now. Thought I had something to say, but didn't; then thought I could produce something just to produce something - but I found it extremely difficult.

>There's like 7 people ever that manage to live their entire
>lives at creativity's peak,

Who are these 7 people?

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 09:53 PM

8. "I admit, I just made it up."
In response to Reply # 7

>Who are these 7 people?

I just kind of tossed it out, because I figured there must have been an amazing number of people who did creative things and **AT LEAST 7** of them must have kept it straight their whole lives. Perhaps you're right, 7 is still too much.

Reel
137 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 09:19 PM

21. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 8

>>Who are these 7 people?
>
>I just kind of tossed it out, because I figured there must
>have been an amazing number of people who did creative things
>and **AT LEAST 7** of them must have kept it straight their
>whole lives. Perhaps you're right, 7 is still too much.

LOL @ me trying to guess the 7..."It must be..."

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 09:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I'm interested in specific answers... here's mine"
In response to Reply # 0

In part, yes. I know I love doing my show, and I've been having limited success at that. As far as everything else (for me, comedy writing & acting), i'm not sure. If I could have one thing, it would probably be to be a great comedic actor, or at least a great improviser. I don't know how to make that jibe with the radio thing, though... improv and comedy are kind of a NY/LA/Chi thing, and those are tough radio markets to crack.

I'm making the road by walking in radio... I gave up trying to find a job and focused on building up my own abilities and the show that I own.

With radio, it's becoming more and more real. I'm getting together a home studio and I think I may be able to make a living by podcasting or broadcasting within 1-2 years.

As far as the rest... I'm not sure what it is. I'm close to the top in sketch comedy, but I know I'm not good enough yet to make it to the top top (that is, TV/Film/etc).

I'm actually doing pretty good relative to my expectations. I guess I thought I'd be able to get a job in radio, and that didn't pan out, but people are really starting to get into my show.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 09:56 PM

9. "^^I've long respected this man's gangsta^^"
In response to Reply # 5

You're obviously very driven and professional about your craft, man. And even though people joke about it from time to time, your ability to self-promote is a very admirable trait. I consider it to be a necessary evil of success, and one that I'm not particularly good at. It takes a big man to put himself out there like that and have that kinda confidence (or illusion of confidence, at the very least) I can play it off all day long that I'm just being humble about my projects, but when it comes down to it, most of the time I'm just fucking terrified that nobody will like them.

You've got moxie.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 07:32 AM

19. "self-promotion has always been a problem with me too"
In response to Reply # 9

but not because of any inherent insecurities about the quality of my work. in fact, i'm so confident that my work is the shit that i feel it should be able to stand by itself without me having to promote MYSELF in the process.

of course, i know that's not the way things work and self-promotion is a necessary evil because in the long run people are less interested in the work itself than in the personality that creates it. but it's hard for me because i'm naturally a rather shy, private, and yes, humble type and i'm often embarrassed by excessive attention directed towards my person.

i'm learning to get around that, though

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Reel
137 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 09:22 PM

22. "Is it music or film?"
In response to Reply # 19

the works that you're creating/-ed, that is.

I remember you mentioning in the Lesson that you were looking into computer music production as your method, but I am also aware you have interests in writing and film.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 09:32 PM

23. "film is my primary focus"
In response to Reply # 22
Sun Oct-16-05 09:59 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

though since i've gotten back into the comics scene in the past eight months or so (largely thanks to PTP) i've found myself resurrecting my ambitions in that field.

comics was what i wanted to do since before i could read (i actually learned to read from comics) and the only reason i really developed an interest in filmmaking was because it had a similar grammar to comics and people didn't laugh at me in my teens when i said i wanted to do that.

music for me is a hobby, nothing more... though i have to do my own film scoring work for now because i can't afford to pay somebody more skilled than me

Toothpick
Charter member
3084 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 09:36 PM

24. "RE: massive cosign"
In response to Reply # 23

>comics was what i wanted to do since before i could read (i
>actually learned to read from comics) and the only reason i
>really developed an interest in filmmaking was because it had
>a similar grammar to comics and people didn't laugh at me in
>my teens when i said i wanted to do that.

i'll be back to post on this further, me thinks.

----------------------------------------------

http://fivedeadlyeverythings.wordpress.com
bamf.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Mon Oct-17-05 09:48 AM

28. "RE: massive cosign"
In response to Reply # 24

>i'll be back to post on this further, me thinks.

I'm interested.

Reel
137 posts
Mon Oct-31-05 12:28 PM

31. "RE: film is my primary focus"
In response to Reply # 23

>though since i've gotten back into the comics scene in the
>past eight months or so (largely thanks to PTP) i've found
>myself resurrecting my ambitions in that field.
>
>comics was what i wanted to do since before i could read (i
>actually learned to read from comics) and the only reason i
>really developed an interest in filmmaking was because it had
>a similar grammar to comics and people didn't laugh at me in
>my teens when i said i wanted to do that.
>

Cool. What part of filmmaking (director or scriptwriter or both)? Gonna go the HD DV or film stock route?

Word. I see the similarities between filmmaking and comics because of the frame to frame design.

Keep us updated when any of your work gets out.

>music for me is a hobby, nothing more... though i have to do
>my own film scoring work for now because i can't afford to pay
>somebody more skilled than me

I lurk, but I never would've guessed. You post way more about music, but I don't blame you, PTP discussions don't get into criticsm as much as the Lesson, it's more "I like this" and "___sucks" in PTP.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-31-05 12:40 PM

33. "hmmm..."
In response to Reply # 31

>Cool. What part of filmmaking (director or scriptwriter or
>both)?

both... "auteur" LOL

my primary strength is in writing, because that's what i've done longest, but my background in comic storytelling proved invaluable when i started directing. but i still feel somewhat untested in that particular discipline.

>Gonna go the HD DV or film stock route?

well, i'm old school... i believe a film should be shot on film (regardless of what George Lucas or Robert Rodriguez might say) but right now i am a very poor man, so DV is what i work with (trying to upgrade to HD soon, though)

i'm totally not one of those champions for the "new aesthetic" of HD/DV... the minute i can afford to shoot on celluloid, i'm ditching it!

>Word. I see the similarities between filmmaking and comics
>because of the frame to frame design.

yep... it's all sequential art. even though i would like to see comics free itself more from using purely cinematic techniques and further develop its own inherent grammar

>Keep us updated when any of your work gets out.

believe me, i will... one of my fantasies is to post about my shit here and have cats mercilessly tear it to pieces as i have done other people's work!

>>music for me is a hobby, nothing more... though i have to do
>>my own film scoring work for now because i can't afford to
>pay
>>somebody more skilled than me
>
>I lurk, but I never would've guessed. You post way more about
>music, but I don't blame you, PTP discussions don't get into
>criticsm as much as the Lesson, it's more "I like this" and
>"___sucks" in PTP.

LOL well, you need to remember that PTP only recently became PTP... the Reviews board was a lot less focused, and was cluttered with people writing aimless accounts about concerts they attended and CDs they listened to

the Lesson was the first place on OKP where i felt at home, but i was also a LOT more passionate about music back then than i am now. these days, posting in the Lesson is more of a habit than anything else.

thanks for the support, btw!

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Mon Oct-17-05 09:28 AM

27. "I guess I'm all those things too"
In response to Reply # 19

And I'm glad that my medium(s) of choice are all fairly anonymous. It's not like stand-up or radio, where the product you're selling is essentially you. I much prefer the 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain' role.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 09:43 PM

6. "RE: OK creatives. How close are you?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-14-05 09:51 PM by buckshot defunct

I'm getting there. Actually, it's more a matter of figuring out what I *don't* want to do at this point. I've pursued/attained more than a few things in my life... I'd like to get a handle on which one is THE right one for me, and then really pour my all into it. This 'jack of all trades' business just isn't cutting it any more.

Kinda. Knowing how to get there and knowing that I'm gonna get there are 2 different things, right?

Depends on what "it" is. I'll keep you posted.

The frustrating thing is that if "it" turns out to be what I think "it" is, I was actually on the verge of making it happen several years ago and I let it slip away. My bad.

Would you believe me if I told you it's actually been easier? The tough part is just sitting my ass down and focusing and just plain doing it. Everything from that point flows pretty naturally and even though it's hard work, it's a lot of fun. Hours upon hours of grueling labor, sleepless nights with my nose to the drawing board...working, trashing, self-loathing and reworking... I'm having the time of my life. All these years of putting it off, I've built things up in my mind to be these impossible, monstrous tasks. I forgot that I loved doing it. Not saying success is ultimately just gonna fall in my lap, but so far so good.

Of course, this particular thing isn't something I'm looking to get rich off of, so that does take a lot of the pressure off.

I'm curious to know specifically what you guys are up to. Me? What I really wanna do is a Graphic Novel. Writing and Design are close runners up though.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 10:03 PM

10. "Not close, and resigned to that fact"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-14-05 10:20 PM by lonesome_d

\Okay, so to explain a bit further

Generally, music. First as a label guy. Secondarily maybe picking up a little extra cash playing folk music.

Wouldn't have minded radio DJing.

Sorta mighta once, but I let go without much of a fight ten years ago.

Closest I've been since was when I was performing taiko regularly. Not that I made money, but i loved it.

I did get an on-air audition on the overnight shift on WXPN (big-time AAA station in Phila.) but blew it pretty badly.

Every year, another year away, hah.

I coppped out, I guess. But the funny thing is, my bro didn't - he quit his job to be an unpaid intern, moved back into our folks' place. Six months later he got himself an office job at a small jazz label. 18 months later, he parlayed that into a catalogue (reissue) dept. job at one of the Big Two jazz labels, moved out to NYC, and loved it. Then three years later his company went through a merger, the new company canned his entire dept. and his music biz career was over.

So seeing firsthand how labels treat good people who do good work and care about good music, I don't feel like I missed too much.

Bridgetown
Member since Dec 04th 2004
27565 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 11:03 PM

11. "...shit, man. I'm just having fun with the ride."
In response to Reply # 0

I very well might make it, though. As far as accomplishments, I've already had articles published, so now I can concentrate on other goals.

--Maurice

_____

Bonding over sutures is what's hot in Oh-Nine.
--JS

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Oct-14-05 11:35 PM

12. "well I got one movie review published"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-14-05 11:38 PM by DrNO

in the student paper a month ago. Haven't had any luck in getting another one in since but I'm sure I'll get another chance at some point.
I still need to attempt writing a screenplay which has been on my "to do" list for quite some time. I'm just terrified of discovering I'm a complete hack. I just tell myself I'm developing a perspective by living like a Kafka character.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Sat Oct-15-05 12:25 AM

13. "RE: OK creatives. How close are you?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes

No idea

Years away, at the moment I am weaving a big ol safety net so I have something to fall back on if I don't make it

N/A

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Oct-15-05 02:50 PM

14. "my turn"
In response to Reply # 0

yes.

i think so. the problem is that there are so many routes to success in what i want to do.

it could go either way. i could see me being in a much better place in a year from now. i could also see me being exactly where i am right now.

stand up comedy is hard. i knew that going in. i had no idea about all the other stuff that goes on off the stage. as far as writing goes. i feel like i've gotten a lot stronger and gone a long way towards finding my voice in the past few years. obviously, i think writing a book has had a lot to do with that.

student_B
Member since Jun 30th 2005
46 posts
Sat Oct-15-05 04:17 PM

15. "RE: OK creatives. How close are you?"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>

hm. just graduated high school.

Im at a point where i made up my mind that i want to work in Film, but I am still intimidated by industry. Does anyone have some sort of advice for pursuing a career in film?

For someone that is really experienced, i have a lot of specific questions, maybe we could pm

marijane
Member since Feb 26th 2004
13093 posts
Sat Oct-15-05 06:02 PM

16. "I have a lot but that's what they told Diddy, Oprah, Russell, and J"
In response to Reply # 0

>do you know exactly what it is you want to do yet?Yes!
I want to do Everything God has given me the talents for

1.Write: novels(I'm working on my first), Poetry Anthologies, ghostwrite for rappers/ singers,and children's books

2.Own a Salon Interiors firm

3.own a multi-cultural Salon

4.develop a research center focusing on disabled individuals

5.Queen's coalition

Absolutely! I have a seperate time, and execution plan for each endeavor. I know what comes first according to personal priority and preparation time. I also try to develop relationships with those who are or know how to get to where i want to be.

Luckily some of my dreams (or plans because dreams are fanatical) are tangible right now. All others are in the reasonably near to not far-off future.

i did not anticipate the level of difficulty because that would have discouraged me. I just did research, and began DOING.

Note to others: spend A LOT but NOT ALL your time planning and researching! You CAN because you ARE.

"if we were made in HIS image than call us by our name"-Erykah Badu

I swear I'm a marry an OKP

Nakia Genevieve are my middle names... Not my attempt to morph Phenom with Novembersgift... But...

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Sat Oct-15-05 11:25 PM

17. "So close, yet so far"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes. Write movies.

Yep. I've done it before. Will do it again.

I'm so close I can taste it, and I can still be years away. In short, if I had a saleable script today, I could sell it next week. Or at least I could get other work based on it. Many writers find themselves asking all those questions like "What do I do with my script after I write it?" and "How do I get someone to read my script?" Mostly thanks to my wife, I have contacts at most studios, dozens of prodcos, agencies large and small, in addition to lawyers, actors, directors and other writers. Many of which my wife and I see socially, all of which my wife can get on the phone with no problem. Several of them have already extended offers to read what I have. The problem? Well...

Writing is hard. Writing a good script is even harder. But what's been hardest for me has been adjusting to life in LA, adjusting to married life, and just focusing. I just can't focus.

I've written good stuff before, but I have nothing ready to go. I have several quality, saleable ideas, but I have no focus. Ironically, since I moved to LA, I haven't been able to concentrate, haven't been able to get on track. In the 2 1/2 years I've been here, I've written one script, and that was a rewrite of something I wrote earlier. the head of an well-known actor's production company read it and gave me some great notes on it. I got about a third of the way into the rewrite and just lost my way in it. Couldn't figure it out.

I can see what I need to do. Everyday, I have my head in my notes, trying to move forward. It's just not working. It is, needless to say, very frustrating. Very.

What keeps me going is that I know I have solid ideas and solid understanding of story and craft -- so that I can tell the difference between a good idea and an idea that can sell. I can tell the difference between a good idea and good execution of the idea. So I know if I can get over this mental hump, I know exactly what I need to do to do the work.

Another thing that keeps me going? At my age, I'm running out of other options to get paid. With housing prices in California the way they are, I'll probably never own a home unless I sell a script.

So, I pray and I work. Ora et labora.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

iagoali
Charter member
27248 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 03:39 AM

18. "i'm less than two years away."
In response to Reply # 0

if my writing career hasn't taken off in the next two years, i've blown my best chances.

i know the first stage. i'm a playwright.
i've made my inroads in that field.
and i'm building a decent name for myself there.
it's a first step--i hope to write films someday do.
maybe a TV project.
and eventually i'll move even more behind the scenes.
but yeah, i know my first steps.

i'm just about there.
again, to the first stage.
i'm in the making a name for myself stage.
and i've had a path for a while.
i've been good about following it.

in sight.
in fact, i have one or two projects that i'm in contentions for that could be THE projects.
knock wood.

hard, but not harder than i thought.
>
>

DROP.
YOUR.
SWORD.

BITCH.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 10:47 AM

20. "I'm just sustaining my vision"
In response to Reply # 0

...it's about the journey, not the destination.

To create programs, opportunities or environments that utilize art, media, and technology to help people empower themselves.

This is why I am not worried about an outcome. I've had plenty of them.

Doesn't matter. I like living in the moment and taking advantage of any and all opportunities that come my way.

I achieve outcomes all the time and, yet, my life's goals will not be reached until I die...and maybe not even then if I can help it.

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43750 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 11:09 PM

25. "Oh the questions I've been dreading to answer."
In response to Reply # 0

My ultimate dream that may not ever happen goal, sure. The realistic back up plan? Nope. And that's scary.

Phew...nope.

Years away. And that's scary because I'm 23. I have this habit of comparing myself to people I aspire to be (or actually more accurately people who accomplished things I want to accomplish). Orson Welles was what 24 or 25 when he made Citizen Kane? I feel like a goddamn failure compared to him...I haven't even WRITTEN a feature yet, let alone make a masterpiece (which I don't think I could at this age/talent level, just saying...)

Much. I think everyone has a certain ignorance to the film industry. They all say it's hard, but they all know they're gonna make it. In comparison to the people in film school, the people who I thought I'd be competing with...I thought, "Shit this'll be easier than expected". I realized I gotta hustle, hustle, hustle to make it and it's gonna be rough.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Sun Oct-16-05 11:45 PM

26. "this in particular is very crippling"
In response to Reply # 25
Sun Oct-16-05 11:46 PM by DrNO

>Years away. And that's scary because I'm 23. I have this habit
>of comparing myself to people I aspire to be (or actually more
>accurately people who accomplished things I want to
>accomplish). Orson Welles was what 24 or 25 when he made
>Citizen Kane? I feel like a goddamn failure compared to
>him...I haven't even WRITTEN a feature yet, let alone make a
>masterpiece (which I don't think I could at this age/talent
>level, just saying...)

Not to mention everyone you seem to be in competition with seems to have more expertise, talent, experience and drive than yourself.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

ellamichelle
Member since Aug 08th 2005
1182 posts
Mon Oct-17-05 10:55 AM

29. "I honestly don't know if I'll ever get there"
In response to Reply # 0

with any of my various explorations and projects,mainly because I have zero confidence in anything I do, not wanting to go public with it until it's "perfect" in my eyes (i.e. never). I think I'll have to work on that before any real progress can be made.

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life.

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Mon Oct-17-05 06:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "I'm just here to send love and support"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm no OK Creative. I could answer the OK Academic version of those questions. One of my dreams in life was to be one of those "creative" types, but I just don't have the skills in those areas. And I'm more than OK with that. I have no problems with my invovelment in the creative arts being limited to fan/critic.

I just wanted to say that I admire everyone out there who's trying to get theirs when they have no one before them blazing the path. Yeah med school is hard work and long hours, but I have ease of mind in that I know where I'm going. Lots of folks have come before and lots will come after. Just keep doing you and hopefully that will roll into something you can do as a career. I hope I'm speaking for more than myself when I say this, but let us know how we can support in a meaningful way.

Peace and don't knock your hustle.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Oct-31-05 12:35 PM

32. "so close."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Mon Oct-31-05 05:59 PM

34. "nevermind, somebody just loaned me Lost Season 1"
In response to Reply # 0

This will probably set me back a month or two.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-31-05 07:37 PM

36. "man, i lost a whole week that DVD"
In response to Reply # 34
Mon Oct-31-05 07:37 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

i was surprised to learn Dini was involved

stylez dainty
6740 posts
Mon Oct-31-05 07:19 PM

35. "Depends, I guess."
In response to Reply # 0

Since I was a kid, I wanted to work in advertising, since it seemed like a way to make a steady buck but still do something creative.

Yeah. I interned as a copywriter, then parlayed that into a full-time job, then used that experience to get a better job at a better agency.

I'm doing work that I like at a local agency that will probably make it possible to work at a more renowned agency with cooler clients, but I'm honestly pretty happy where I am.

This probably doesn't apply to me since what I'm doing isn't art, and so I don't have to go through all of the struggles that are a part of making a living out of your art. It's just a really great office job, but not one that is extraordinarly hard to get if you're a creative person. But I do have aspirations of writing short stories and getting those published, which I am lightyears away from, especially since I've grown accustomed to writing in one sentence spurts. But honestly, I don't foresee much success in that avenue, since the humor/writing style I like best doesn't seem to have a very broad appeal.

But regardless, I feel like I'm a creative person who gets paid off of my talents, and that my 9-5 is sharpening the skills that will make it possible to do something that IS purely artistic.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 12:30 AM

37. "RE: OK creatives. How close are you?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-01-05 12:30 AM by biscuit

yes. have known for a long time. graphic design is it. I got the fever for 3D and motion graphics at times, but stuck to the static and it paid off.

talent, patience, persistence.

I am living it now and hope to ride off into the sunset on its back.

fairly hard, considering it took a loooong time to get where I wanted to be at the salary I wanted, which is art director at a major internet company. i consider myself fortunate to have survived the dot bomb relatively unscathed, able to ride it out freelancing on a solid reputation. this is key. never fail a client or a boss, ever. and if you do, bury as deep it as you can.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

Mr Mech
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
8373 posts
Tue Nov-29-05 09:17 PM

38. "I'm far too jaded an artist to answer these silly questions..."
In response to Reply # 0

*takes long drag on cig and contemplates suicide, Fellini and whether his frapilatesso has too much ice*

Mech

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #90202 Previous topic | Next topic