Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303423

Subject: "God of War (PS4)" Previous topic | Next topic
mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 03:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"God of War (PS4)"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/19/god-of-wars-first-3-hours-are-more-emotional-than-we-expected

This got me to preorder:

"The final, and perhaps most impressive thing about God of War is the fact that the entire game unfolds in a single, unbroken shot. There are no cutscenes, no load screens, no camera cuts, no fades to black. Despite the fact that game director Cory Barlog told us this back at E3 2016, the wildly-impressive effectiveness of this choice didn’t sink in until we actually went hands-on the game and realized that it was 100% true. I can’t really think of another game of this scope that has utilized this cinematic technique, but it’s an incredible feat. The unwavering immediacy in which we spend our time with Kratos adds even more depth to him and in turn, to his relationship with his son."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yo. Nigga, what?
Mar 20th 2018
There is a cool trailer up on IGN
Mar 21st 2018
games do this often
Mar 21st 2018
RE: games do this often
Apr 04th 2018
What makes this even more impressive
Apr 22nd 2018
Why I bought I PS4 at launch
Apr 04th 2018
Reviews are coming in. It’s getting Zelda scores. Hella 10s
Apr 12th 2018
Yeah. the reviews range from "excellent" to "masterpiece"
Apr 12th 2018
About four hours in, shit's fire.
Apr 20th 2018
FIRST HOUR SPOILERS
Apr 20th 2018
alright. i need to buy this
Apr 20th 2018
Be honest here folks:
Apr 21st 2018
That section near Thor's statue is a lot of fun.
Apr 22nd 2018
whew. this shit is hard
Apr 22nd 2018
Parrying with the shield helps a ton.
Apr 23rd 2018
I'm playing on GIVE ME GOD OF WAR
Apr 23rd 2018
i too am getting my ass kicked
Apr 23rd 2018
I keep wanting to hit L2 to parry
Apr 23rd 2018
      I’m actually staying to get the hang of it
Apr 24th 2018
Might be the best story of any game I’ve played
May 18th 2018
Just finished it tonignt. That fucking ending was perfect.
May 19th 2018

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Tue Mar-20-18 02:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yo. Nigga, what? "
In response to Reply # 0

How?

>http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/19/god-of-wars-first-3-hours-are-more-emotional-than-we-expected
>
>
>This got me to preorder:
>
>"The final, and perhaps most impressive thing about God of War
>is the fact that the entire game unfolds in a single, unbroken
>shot. There are no cutscenes, no load screens, no camera cuts,
>no fades to black. Despite the fact that game director Cory
>Barlog told us this back at E3 2016, the wildly-impressive
>effectiveness of this choice didn’t sink in until we
>actually went hands-on the game and realized that it was 100%
>true. I can’t really think of another game of this scope
>that has utilized this cinematic technique, but it’s an
>incredible feat. The unwavering immediacy in which we spend
>our time with Kratos adds even more depth to him and in turn,
>to his relationship with his son."
>
>

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Wed Mar-21-18 01:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "There is a cool trailer up on IGN"
In response to Reply # 1

With the director of photography explaining some of it. Seems fucking insane. I bet the initial install will be huge.

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Wed Mar-21-18 02:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "games do this often"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Mar-21-18 02:30 PM by bearfield

most notably open world games. GTA V is basically one unbroken shot after the initial load if you don't engage the story mode or side activities that have loading screens and that game is enormous. god of war will be linear so they don't even need to worry about streaming in a huge open world. the level progression will be walking down a narrow path into a small open area for combat and/or story beats over and over. that's not hard to stream in. they'll hide loads with winding tunnels or elevators, which is common in video games

it's also easy to swing the camera around from a behind the back shot in a combat sequence into an intimate two shot for a story beat because it's a virtual camera and they can do whatever they want with it

i do think it's a good idea to make a linear game one unbroken shot but it think it will wear people down a little since there will be no visual break in the action for 10-15 hours (maybe longer?). i'm most interested in the camera work for this game. i imagine the player won't have much control over the camera (if any) since this game seems like a very directed experience

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1694 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 12:47 PM

5. "RE: games do this often"
In response to Reply # 3

It's kind of like what the first Halo pushed, technically speaking, when it would be loading up the next part of a level in those long hallways and all you'd see is a small word in the corner for a second.

I'm just wondering how they handle saves/checkpoints/pause menu's when going for something like this. No matter how well done and immersive this is and how much some people will want to sit through it possibly, it's still going to have to fit that aspect of playing of game in there somehow.

---------------------
Obviously White

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 04:45 PM

14. "What makes this even more impressive"
In response to Reply # 1

is that this game isn't totally linear are there are literally divergent paths that lead you to somewhat hidden chests and items. Pretty impressive feat to make the game seamless, at least I haven't seen to many of the seams throughout the 6 or so hours I've played the game.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Laz aka Black Native
Member since Mar 18th 2009
5462 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 06:54 AM

4. "Why I bought I PS4 at launch"
In response to Reply # 0

I knew this game was coming eventually and now it's almost here. I'm preordering and can't wait!

Furious Styles: https://blacknative.bandcamp.com/album/furious-styles

Black Confederate on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-confederate-single/id940282326

Video to Black Confederate: http://youtu.be/jbpAQ4qzkqY

PSN: WakandanKing
Follow

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 02:21 AM

6. "Reviews are coming in. It’s getting Zelda scores. Hella 10s"
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 03:16 AM

7. "Yeah. the reviews range from "excellent" to "masterpiece""
In response to Reply # 6

Sony really knows what they're doing with their first party titles.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "About four hours in, shit's fire."
In response to Reply # 0

If you haven't read the reviews or followed any of the limited preview coverage, you're in for a treat.

I will say, the combat is pretty unforgiving, and if you've played a good amount of Bloodborne recently or a ton of that series in general you'll probably have a tough time because the basic controls otherwise are somewhat similar. Block is on L1 instead of L2 and dodge is on X instead of O and it is constantly getting me in trouble.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 03:56 PM

9. "FIRST HOUR SPOILERS"
In response to Reply # 8

When I reached the first boss I realized that this was the superhero game I never knew I needed.

-30-

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 09:04 PM

10. "alright. i need to buy this"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Apr-20-18 09:29 PM by HecticHavoc

sold my xbox and then bought a ps4 to which i basically play madden, 2k18, and the Show 17.

was going to wait for Spiderman and play the pathetic 2k18 til then but from what everything i'm reading, this is mandatory.

edit: just bought this. about to hit new game!

-----------------------------------------

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 03:33 PM

11. "Be honest here folks:"
In response to Reply # 0

Does anyone here miss Kyle from Living Single? I do have to admit, it is funny to hear this new dude say "boy" this time around since he does have a bit more bass in his voice.

I do wonder how salty Kyle is though.

And boy oh boy is hard mode unforgiving. You truly have to master parrying and mastering the animation timing for your opponents to maker solid progress.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 05:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "That section near Thor's statue is a lot of fun."
In response to Reply # 0

I really had no idea which way that was going to go right up to the very end, and I love how they just drop the situation on you with no context and it's up to you to figure out what to do with it.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 11:24 AM

13. "whew. this shit is hard"
In response to Reply # 0

I have never touched any of the previous three God of Wars (i know... sorry) but I prefer to play a challenging experience, so i'm playing on the 2nd to hardest mode.

It took me a while just to kill the dremors, or whatever they call them. I had a tough time w that first giant boss, and then had some hard times beating the tattoo'd blue guy. But it seems like, once you find out their attacks, just dodge/block, juke away, attack, repeat 32x until they die.

I am basically just mashing R1 and R2 until my forearm hurts, not sure if I should have a rhyme or reason to it. haven't been throwing the axe much at all.

-----------------------------------------

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 09:29 AM

17. "Parrying with the shield helps a ton."
In response to Reply # 13

The good thing with parrying with the shield is that if you're near more than one enemy, all of them get 'stunned' by the parrying, despite the fact you are only parrying one opponent.

I still have to master parrying projectile fire from opponents, especially on the portion of the game I'm at now.

Laz aka Black Native
Member since Mar 18th 2009
5462 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 06:40 AM

15. "I'm playing on GIVE ME GOD OF WAR"
In response to Reply # 0

I always play on the hardest difficulty the 1st playthrough and unforgiving ain't even the word. I'm still having fun & loving the game though

Furious Styles: https://blacknative.bandcamp.com/album/furious-styles

Black Confederate on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-confederate-single/id940282326

Video to Black Confederate: http://youtu.be/jbpAQ4qzkqY

PSN: WakandanKing
Follow

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 09:08 AM

16. "i too am getting my ass kicked"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe an hour in, and i'm losing each battle at least once.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 09:34 AM

18. "I keep wanting to hit L2 to parry"
In response to Reply # 16

Shield is super important, this plays a bit differently than other God of War games, I had to constantly remind myself of that before it finally clicked for me.

I heard you can change the controls to a classic setting and it's been helping some people. Puts the attack buttons on the face instead of the shoulder. Maybe give that a shot?

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 07:06 AM

19. "I’m actually staying to get the hang of it"
In response to Reply # 18

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri May-18-18 08:31 PM

20. "Might be the best story of any game I’ve played"
In response to Reply # 0

Easily, easily, easily the GOAT reboot.

The complexity of the emotion is just startling.

----
bshelly

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sat May-19-18 03:49 AM

21. "Just finished it tonignt. That fucking ending was perfect."
In response to Reply # 20

-30-

Lobby High-Tech topic #303423 Previous topic | Next topic