Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectGod of War (PS4)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=303423
303423, God of War (PS4)
Posted by mrshow, Mon Mar-19-18 03:21 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/19/god-of-wars-first-3-hours-are-more-emotional-than-we-expected

This got me to preorder:

"The final, and perhaps most impressive thing about God of War is the fact that the entire game unfolds in a single, unbroken shot. There are no cutscenes, no load screens, no camera cuts, no fades to black. Despite the fact that game director Cory Barlog told us this back at E3 2016, the wildly-impressive effectiveness of this choice didn’t sink in until we actually went hands-on the game and realized that it was 100% true. I can’t really think of another game of this scope that has utilized this cinematic technique, but it’s an incredible feat. The unwavering immediacy in which we spend our time with Kratos adds even more depth to him and in turn, to his relationship with his son."

303426, Yo. Nigga, what?
Posted by bignick, Tue Mar-20-18 02:01 PM
How?

>http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/19/god-of-wars-first-3-hours-are-more-emotional-than-we-expected
>
>
>This got me to preorder:
>
>"The final, and perhaps most impressive thing about God of War
>is the fact that the entire game unfolds in a single, unbroken
>shot. There are no cutscenes, no load screens, no camera cuts,
>no fades to black. Despite the fact that game director Cory
>Barlog told us this back at E3 2016, the wildly-impressive
>effectiveness of this choice didn’t sink in until we
>actually went hands-on the game and realized that it was 100%
>true. I can’t really think of another game of this scope
>that has utilized this cinematic technique, but it’s an
>incredible feat. The unwavering immediacy in which we spend
>our time with Kratos adds even more depth to him and in turn,
>to his relationship with his son."
>
>
303435, There is a cool trailer up on IGN
Posted by josephmurf2384, Wed Mar-21-18 01:49 PM
With the director of photography explaining some of it. Seems fucking insane. I bet the initial install will be huge.
303436, games do this often
Posted by bearfield, Wed Mar-21-18 02:20 PM
most notably open world games. GTA V is basically one unbroken shot after the initial load if you don't engage the story mode or side activities that have loading screens and that game is enormous. god of war will be linear so they don't even need to worry about streaming in a huge open world. the level progression will be walking down a narrow path into a small open area for combat and/or story beats over and over. that's not hard to stream in. they'll hide loads with winding tunnels or elevators, which is common in video games

it's also easy to swing the camera around from a behind the back shot in a combat sequence into an intimate two shot for a story beat because it's a virtual camera and they can do whatever they want with it

i do think it's a good idea to make a linear game one unbroken shot but it think it will wear people down a little since there will be no visual break in the action for 10-15 hours (maybe longer?). i'm most interested in the camera work for this game. i imagine the player won't have much control over the camera (if any) since this game seems like a very directed experience
303461, RE: games do this often
Posted by upUPNorth, Wed Apr-04-18 12:47 PM
It's kind of like what the first Halo pushed, technically speaking, when it would be loading up the next part of a level in those long hallways and all you'd see is a small word in the corner for a second.

I'm just wondering how they handle saves/checkpoints/pause menu's when going for something like this. No matter how well done and immersive this is and how much some people will want to sit through it possibly, it's still going to have to fit that aspect of playing of game in there somehow.
303506, What makes this even more impressive
Posted by Numba_33, Sun Apr-22-18 04:45 PM
is that this game isn't totally linear are there are literally divergent paths that lead you to somewhat hidden chests and items. Pretty impressive feat to make the game seamless, at least I haven't seen to many of the seams throughout the 6 or so hours I've played the game.
303460, Why I bought I PS4 at launch
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Wed Apr-04-18 06:54 AM
I knew this game was coming eventually and now it's almost here. I'm preordering and can't wait!
303481, Reviews are coming in. It’s getting Zelda scores. Hella 10s
Posted by IkeMoses, Thu Apr-12-18 02:21 AM
303482, Yeah. the reviews range from "excellent" to "masterpiece"
Posted by mrshow, Thu Apr-12-18 03:16 AM
Sony really knows what they're doing with their first party titles.
303499, About four hours in, shit's fire.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Apr-20-18 03:27 PM
If you haven't read the reviews or followed any of the limited preview coverage, you're in for a treat.

I will say, the combat is pretty unforgiving, and if you've played a good amount of Bloodborne recently or a ton of that series in general you'll probably have a tough time because the basic controls otherwise are somewhat similar. Block is on L1 instead of L2 and dodge is on X instead of O and it is constantly getting me in trouble.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
303500, FIRST HOUR SPOILERS
Posted by IkeMoses, Fri Apr-20-18 03:56 PM
When I reached the first boss I realized that this was the superhero game I never knew I needed.
303501, alright. i need to buy this
Posted by HecticHavoc, Fri Apr-20-18 09:04 PM
sold my xbox and then bought a ps4 to which i basically play madden, 2k18, and the Show 17.

was going to wait for Spiderman and play the pathetic 2k18 til then but from what everything i'm reading, this is mandatory.

edit: just bought this. about to hit new game!
303502, Be honest here folks:
Posted by Numba_33, Sat Apr-21-18 03:33 PM
Does anyone here miss Kyle from Living Single? I do have to admit, it is funny to hear this new dude say "boy" this time around since he does have a bit more bass in his voice.

I do wonder how salty Kyle is though.

And boy oh boy is hard mode unforgiving. You truly have to master parrying and mastering the animation timing for your opponents to maker solid progress.
303503, That section near Thor's statue is a lot of fun.
Posted by Nodima, Sun Apr-22-18 05:31 AM
I really had no idea which way that was going to go right up to the very end, and I love how they just drop the situation on you with no context and it's up to you to figure out what to do with it.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
303504, whew. this shit is hard
Posted by HecticHavoc, Sun Apr-22-18 11:24 AM
I have never touched any of the previous three God of Wars (i know... sorry) but I prefer to play a challenging experience, so i'm playing on the 2nd to hardest mode.

It took me a while just to kill the dremors, or whatever they call them. I had a tough time w that first giant boss, and then had some hard times beating the tattoo'd blue guy. But it seems like, once you find out their attacks, just dodge/block, juke away, attack, repeat 32x until they die.

I am basically just mashing R1 and R2 until my forearm hurts, not sure if I should have a rhyme or reason to it. haven't been throwing the axe much at all.
303509, Parrying with the shield helps a ton.
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Apr-23-18 09:29 AM
The good thing with parrying with the shield is that if you're near more than one enemy, all of them get 'stunned' by the parrying, despite the fact you are only parrying one opponent.

I still have to master parrying projectile fire from opponents, especially on the portion of the game I'm at now.
303507, I'm playing on GIVE ME GOD OF WAR
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Mon Apr-23-18 06:40 AM
I always play on the hardest difficulty the 1st playthrough and unforgiving ain't even the word. I'm still having fun & loving the game though
303508, i too am getting my ass kicked
Posted by bshelly, Mon Apr-23-18 09:08 AM
maybe an hour in, and i'm losing each battle at least once.
303510, I keep wanting to hit L2 to parry
Posted by Paps_Smear, Mon Apr-23-18 09:34 AM
Shield is super important, this plays a bit differently than other God of War games, I had to constantly remind myself of that before it finally clicked for me.

I heard you can change the controls to a classic setting and it's been helping some people. Puts the attack buttons on the face instead of the shoulder. Maybe give that a shot?
303511, I’m actually staying to get the hang of it
Posted by bshelly, Tue Apr-24-18 07:06 AM
303548, Might be the best story of any game I’ve played
Posted by bshelly, Fri May-18-18 08:31 PM
Easily, easily, easily the GOAT reboot.

The complexity of the emotion is just startling.
303549, Just finished it tonignt. That fucking ending was perfect.
Posted by IkeMoses, Sat May-19-18 03:49 AM