Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectgames do this often
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=303423&mesg_id=303436
303436, games do this often
Posted by bearfield, Wed Mar-21-18 02:20 PM
most notably open world games. GTA V is basically one unbroken shot after the initial load if you don't engage the story mode or side activities that have loading screens and that game is enormous. god of war will be linear so they don't even need to worry about streaming in a huge open world. the level progression will be walking down a narrow path into a small open area for combat and/or story beats over and over. that's not hard to stream in. they'll hide loads with winding tunnels or elevators, which is common in video games

it's also easy to swing the camera around from a behind the back shot in a combat sequence into an intimate two shot for a story beat because it's a virtual camera and they can do whatever they want with it

i do think it's a good idea to make a linear game one unbroken shot but it think it will wear people down a little since there will be no visual break in the action for 10-15 hours (maybe longer?). i'm most interested in the camera work for this game. i imagine the player won't have much control over the camera (if any) since this game seems like a very directed experience