Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2676441

Subject: "Why join a coalition...if Jenkins was going to have final say?" Previous topic | Next topic
bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "Why join a coalition...if Jenkins was going to have final say?"
In response to In response to 23
Mon Oct-29-18 12:52 PM by bentagain

Not to take the...2 sides to every story trope...but...uh...yeah

https://theundefeated.com/features/irreconcilable-differences-why-the-nfl-players-coalition-split-apart/

Some of what he is saying, actually unfolded

Kap was invited to participate

It was suggested they meet in person — Kaepernick included — to get on the same page and define a united purpose going forward. Dallas was suggested as a central location.

“I’m in. I’m in. I’m in. I’ll go. I’ll attend,” members responded, one after the other. Reid did not reply.

“Hey, we’re just waiting on a response from you, brother,” a member said to Reid after roughly 30 minutes. “Can you make the meeting next Tuesday in Dallas? Or do you need to get back with us tomorrow?”

Why Reid wouldn’t attend the meeting is a matter of some dispute. He would tell ESPN The Magazine that he saw the invitation as an ultimatum and he wouldn’t be able to attend because of his grandmother’s funeral. But an examination of that group text shared with The Undefeated by a coalition member reveals other issues were at play that went to the heart of the coalition’s divide.

“Before I even consider attending this meeting and asking Colin to attend,” Reid replied, “are we in agreement that the agenda for this will be to discuss the logistics behind separating the coalition — which has always been focused on criminal justice reform — from a new entity in which Colin will be at the helm and the protesting players move forward in communication with the NFL to address the systematic oppression of black and brown people? Then, yes, I will try to make it on Tuesday or find another day that works for all of us. If not, there’s no point in having a meeting.”

Makes it sound like he was in it for his own coalition of him, Kap...and whoever they thought was 'protesting'

Why join the player's coalition if you knew
A) criminal justice reform was their goal...not systemic oppression
B) 1 person could make the decisions
?

"Coalition leader Anquan Boldin, while choosing not to kneel or make a public gesture, spoke out in hopes of giving a voice to the voiceless after a cousin was killed by a plainclothes police officer in 2015. Jenkins raised a fist in support of the Clean Slate Act, which would seal the criminal records of anyone with misdemeanor convictions — save violent and sex offenses — if they stay clean for 10 years, after his brother was charged with a felony for possessing small amounts of marijuana."

^^^so they're sellouts because...?

"Jenkins tried multiple times to bring Kaepernick into the group, but the former Super Bowl starter, while receptive and supportive, preferred to remain on his own."

can't argue with that...Kap has been quiet for some time now

"Still more talk finally produced dividends in September when Reid and several other players who had previously declined invitations joined the coalition. This didn’t mean it was smooth sailing. The new members disagreed with founding members on everything from who should be leader to what it was looking for from the league to how much focus should be on placed on addressing Kaepernick’s unemployment."

^^^makes it sound more like they tried to hijack the players coalition...not the other way around

Bottom line for me...there are players with genuine causes of their own that fall under the social justice platform

Because those platforms were not identical to what Kap may have intended...Reid decided to remove himself

In the almost year that has passed since this deal was announced...how much closer is Reid/Kap to forming their own group and negotiating their own deal?

Are they recruiting more NFL players to join their coalition?

Admire this guy's courage, etc...but there has to be a better way than this, IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Eric Reid accuses Malcolm Jenkins of selling out (video) [View all] , Dr Claw, Mon Oct-22-18 06:56 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I get why he’s mad, but Jenkins ain’t no punk.
Oct 22nd 2018
It definitely looks like he is.
Oct 29th 2018
Meanwhile, white owners laughing. We're doomed.
Oct 22nd 2018
^^^^
Oct 22nd 2018
I'm asking this with total sincerity...
Oct 22nd 2018
      Ego over the principles is the definiton of posturing.
Oct 22nd 2018
           respect that...
Oct 22nd 2018
                This is why Trump is gonna win again.
Oct 22nd 2018
I'm with Eric.
Oct 22nd 2018
i'm in this line
Oct 22nd 2018
all day
Oct 23rd 2018
Eric was turnt af all game. breh hit Ertz w/ the Angle Slam.
Oct 22nd 2018
https://themalcolmjenkinsfoundation.org/ (c) 2010
Oct 22nd 2018
Yeah Malcolm never gave Kaep any kind of platform
Oct 23rd 2018
      So? That means you got beef ON THE FIELD on some violent shit?
Oct 23rd 2018
           Are you white?
Oct 23rd 2018
                Hi Beholdme
Oct 23rd 2018
wasn't the best moment ever but fuck what these owners think
Oct 26th 2018
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Go eat a Chewstick, Hotep Jackson
Oct 26th 2018
      your last line is hilariously ironic
Oct 26th 2018
      LMAO!!! Wanna know what's ironic?
Oct 26th 2018
           RE: LMAO!!! Wanna know what's ironic?
Oct 26th 2018
           on THIS issue I don't trust his intentions
Oct 26th 2018
      Who raised you dude?
Oct 29th 2018
https://twitter.com/1point4aGame/status/1056678616317259776
Oct 28th 2018
Damn.. it’s so much deeper than we realize
Oct 28th 2018
i hate to see us being divided on this issue
Oct 28th 2018
RE: i hate to see us being divided on this issue
Oct 29th 2018
cant unite w/ a sellout
Oct 29th 2018
i didn't know about the "black figurehead" comments
Oct 29th 2018
Again: this is why we deserve Trump. The Owners are LAUGHING.
Oct 29th 2018
      You talk about mostly black men posturing
Oct 29th 2018
           Fam, you don't know who you speaking to, I tap jaws on the reg
Oct 29th 2018
                Yes I do, and No you don't.
Oct 29th 2018
                     You post like you're out of beeswaz
Oct 29th 2018
                          Again, you have no point
Oct 30th 2018
                               Hey, don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
Oct 30th 2018
Twitter Thread from Diana Moskovitz
Oct 29th 2018
All information available before the formation of the players coalition
Oct 29th 2018

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2676441 Previous topic | Next topic