Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3033330

Subject: "pretty good pfork interview w/Quest" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 11:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "pretty good pfork interview w/Quest"
In response to In response to 0

https://pitchfork.com/features/interview/questlove-summer-of-soul-black-music-history/

I like this bit about Jimi being the only artist rejected from the festival --- would have liked more of these types of stories about the planning of the festival but I see how they would have been harder to integrate into the film:

"The irony of it all is that Jimi Hendrix is the one artist who requested to do this festival and got rejected. Jimi had a strange relationship with the Black community at that time. Like, “He’s a little too wild for us, so he’s on that side of the fence.” He got to a point where he got tired of being the freak-show darling of the industry, so he disbanded his group, got an all-Black group—the Band of Gypsys—and asked , “Can we perform? We want to do a blues set.” And they said no. He’s not even deterred; he winds up booking all the after-shows, so for three weeks, Jimi Hendrix plays at these blues clubs with Freddie King, his blues mentor."

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

summer of soul [View all] , thebigfunk, Tue Jul-06-21 10:46 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
The Pips Choreography...man listen.
Jul 06th 2021
RE: The Pips Choreography...man listen.
Jul 07th 2021
RE: The Pips Choreography...man listen.
Jul 07th 2021
Loved it. So much great footage.