Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3033330

Subject: "Saw this last night with my sister and I have to say it was really good" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Saw this last night with my sister and I have to say it was really good"
In response to In response to 0

It was really good for a first-time filmmaker (especially one who claimed he never got into videos for his group.).

Having not grown up in a household that played a lot of soul/R&B from that time period it was a great history lesson on the state of Black music culture from that time. And the way the movie wove in the sentiments from African Americans towards life in America against the musical themes and fashion choices of the musicians was nicely done. It never felt forced and added context to the resonance and significance of the events that summer.

As someone said, the structure of the narrative split up into mini-docs combined into one was a nice choice. And the pacing was wonderful. Getting everyone significant airtime, without cheating anyone while maintaining momentum was impressive. The movie never felt slow or that it was getting lost in unnecessary details.

?uest is many things. Among them a sincere, genuine appreciator of music culture and history. This hit its intention to be a sincere, genuine tribute to a forgotten moment.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

summer of soul [View all] , thebigfunk, Tue Jul-06-21 10:46 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
pretty good pfork interview w/Quest
Jul 06th 2021
The Pips Choreography...man listen.
Jul 06th 2021
RE: The Pips Choreography...man listen.
Jul 07th 2021
RE: The Pips Choreography...man listen.
Jul 07th 2021