Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019443

Subject: "Morris Day “On Time: A Princely Life In Funk” (Morris Was A Cokehead..." Previous topic | Next topic
supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Morris Day “On Time: A Princely Life In Funk” (Morris Was A Cokehead..."

Yo...I read this schitt fast as hell, y’all.

I enjoyed the “Shared” narrative with Prince and MD...much like the Time albums, BOTH voices carried the concept and the band, “The Time”.
We knew that here...but it’s good to hear Morris confirm it.

We also knew Mo’ got caught up in the coked out 80’s.
But MAN...if fear it was even worse than he lets on, which leads me to wonder WHO ELSE (besides Vanity) was “partying”.
I mean them still pictures from The 2nd Coming movie project (Controversy era), AND A LOT of the NPG “Pimp Rag, Tootsie Pop & A Cane...Typhoon Hairdo Era”...Prince also looked BLOWED OUT HIS MIND from time to time. But hey, the guy clearly didn’t sleep...ummm...*cough, ough*...yet, the squeaky clean myth prevails (with the exception of the “Black Album/Ecstasy” story, and Sinead O’Connor straight bugging for 30 years...ALL THE WAY UP UNTIL THE SURPRISE ENDING

This is some fascinating stuff.

I’m very curious about WHY THIS NIGGA JUST GLOSS THE FUCK OVER THE ORIGINAL 7 ALBUM LIKE THAT?
Like, o.k., WE KNOW JIMMY & TERRY bankrolled that slumber party.
But that schitt came out, Jesse schitt on the idea of touring the album...AND THAT WAS A WRAP!?!?!?!
That joint ain’t even available NOWHERE on streaming, nada.
WTF?! That silence is deafening, wouldn’t you agree?

Some of my favorite take always were the myth busting revelations that Morris and Prince were heads that enjoyed listening to, and turning each other on to music together. Dreading a lot of the W&L narrative that Prince never listened to schitt like The Beatles or Miles Davis (which always bugged me about their take...and I love them two to the moon and back, but #NAW).
To even imagine Morris and Prince in a midwestern basement in the dead of winter listening to Frank Zappa is such a fucking treat.

We’ve got to get to the point that Prince let us see and believe what we wanted to.
It’s really valuable for ALL of these other folks to tell their stories, not just to capitalize one last time...but so the real heads (like me) can triangulate the real person inside of the vast myth that is, Prince.

That one dude was his own Gene Roddenberry, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Uhuru AND Darth Vader. He got the records to prove it too.

Don’t sleep on this, snap the digital and enjoy that schitt on a snow day. The Lesson of old would’ve think tanked this mug into a platinum post by now,
But look how much thangs done changed.

s.blak
Cuz We’re Cool

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Morris Day “On Time: A Princely Life In Funk” (Morris Was A Cokehead... [View all] , supablak, Thu Oct-10-19 02:30 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here
Oct 10th 2019
As long as we’re honest about what’s put out and what WE want, we go...
Oct 11th 2019
Was just thinking that this morning-no 7' single edits..
Oct 11th 2019
      It’s all good...I remember when The Lesson was at PEAK Troll.
Oct 11th 2019
      y'all do know there is a facebook page
Oct 11th 2019
           oh Snap...I’m kinda over Facebook
Oct 11th 2019
RE: Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here
Oct 14th 2019
      naaah, you don't wanna go there
Oct 16th 2019
           RE: naaah, you don't wanna go there
Oct 17th 2019
I read a sample and was kinda thrown off by the back & forth
Oct 11th 2019
I definitely want to check this out....probably cop the audio book
Oct 11th 2019
After reading it...I might listen to it on audible
Oct 11th 2019
      Ha...I didn’t add the damn lank (stoner), but now there’s more goodn...
Oct 12th 2019
Copt
Oct 12th 2019
Cool ® thanks for the heads-up, I'll def cop the audio version...
Oct 14th 2019
I really enjoyed this book.
Oct 16th 2019
He really provided some excellent context
Oct 17th 2019
great review Doc. I’m going to see if my local library has this
Oct 20th 2019

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019443 Previous topic | Next topic