Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019443

Subject: "I really enjoyed this book." Previous topic | Next topic
Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132221 posts
Wed Oct-16-19 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I really enjoyed this book."
In response to In response to 0
Wed Oct-16-19 09:36 AM by Dr Claw

and no joke (and should be a surprise to NO ONE who has been reading this board for a long time) ... my next favorite book in this vein was The Rock Says, written by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson before he even was a movie star. They favor one another.

The way of telling this story was pretty interesting, and hilarious. Because I can actually hear the voices in my head.

Morris actually (maybe unintentionally) dropped a few things that I as a Stan had been wondering about and didn't even connect the dots. Those who read liner notes or follow The Time in general know what I'm talking about.

I thought it was respectful to Prince, and did a good job of contrasting the two of them as people. If Prince lived in (and ultimately succumbed to the weight of) a world of his own creation, Morris was a man who lived on Earth who found himself in that world for a moment in time.

It's gonna be some members of the Purple Army in their feelings about his account of a number of things.

I did like that he talked about his solo records the way he did, I looked them back up again (they in my iTunes)

And you're ABSOLUTELY right, Blak about how some people try to pretend that P didn't listen to BLACK music. I'm like, "how the fuck do you think P came out making it?"

even the book that's about to come out about Prince is going to give you what Prince wanted to see. Between these books and The Prince Podcast you've seen and heard from a lot of people who were there and around him.

On the Original 7ven album, I swear up and down, that album belongs on the list of Jam/Lewis classics. If only because they have a way of putting together projects from artists we haven't heard from in a long time, hitting those nostalgic notes but doing something new. They did this with Janet's UNBREAKABLE, an album I can't stop talking about.

I think it was hard for a lot of people to hear them in that context, yet it didn't involve Prince directly at all. I like that Morris reinforces earlier comments about how he was really hurt by Jimmy and Terry getting fired. You can tell those were his dudes.

On another note I'm glad he didn't really go off on the whole Jesse thing. I love Jesse to death and think he's one of the GOAT for a number of reasons. but man, in that band context, he's turned himself into a bit of a meme/Lexicon term. I call it "Jesse-ing" when someone like say... Al DiMeola pulls the things he does with RTF in recent years.

Speaking of which, SHOUT OUT to Morris for acknowledging bands like RTF and Mahavishnu. You never would have known he was into them if not for this book

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Morris Day “On Time: A Princely Life In Funk” (Morris Was A Cokehead... [View all] , supablak, Thu Oct-10-19 02:30 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here
Oct 10th 2019
As long as we’re honest about what’s put out and what WE want, we go...
Oct 11th 2019
Was just thinking that this morning-no 7' single edits..
Oct 11th 2019
      It’s all good...I remember when The Lesson was at PEAK Troll.
Oct 11th 2019
      y'all do know there is a facebook page
Oct 11th 2019
           oh Snap...I’m kinda over Facebook
Oct 11th 2019
RE: Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here
Oct 14th 2019
      naaah, you don't wanna go there
Oct 16th 2019
           RE: naaah, you don't wanna go there
Oct 17th 2019
I read a sample and was kinda thrown off by the back & forth
Oct 11th 2019
I definitely want to check this out....probably cop the audio book
Oct 11th 2019
After reading it...I might listen to it on audible
Oct 11th 2019
      Ha...I didn’t add the damn lank (stoner), but now there’s more goodn...
Oct 12th 2019
Copt
Oct 12th 2019
Cool ® thanks for the heads-up, I'll def cop the audio version...
Oct 14th 2019
He really provided some excellent context
Oct 17th 2019
great review Doc. I’m going to see if my local library has this
Oct 20th 2019

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019443 Previous topic | Next topic