Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #27611

Subject: "Let me see if I understand" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Tue Feb-01-00 02:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "Let me see if I understand"
In response to In response to 28

>Here goes my reply: <BR>>>stevie: SONGS IN THE... was held back <BR>>>for 2 and a half years. <P>>You just made my original point. 2 <BR>>and 1/2 years doesn't equal 5 <BR>>years. <P>So if Voodoo would have been released in two and a half years, it would be a better record? It would be more worthy? That really seems to be a silly point. Again, they took to damn long to get this record out but the timing does not reflect on whther or not its groundbreaking. If it came out 2 and a half years ago, I'm sure you would still believe that it was merely a good record.<P>>You're preaching to the choir here..and again, >making my point. "Here, My Dear" is arguably his >greatest collective piece of work. It >commercially flopped, and within another year or >so, he was able to put out another album. No >artificial release dates, no hyping, no >bullshit. It really shouldn't take a musician >five years to come out with excellent product. >Ask Me'shell, who within the five years between >D's two, put out three great ones of her own. <P>Again, so great albums should never have artificial media hype. Then Songs is not a great album. Do you know the hype and promotion machine that Berry Gordy put behing this album? Berry Gordy is the King of Hype my friend. I mean Berry was about to lose his shirt waiting on Stevie to produce Songs. Motown's whole fiscal year was based on what Songs would do. Berry hyped and promoted that record like none other. Remember this was back in the days before Soundscan. Gold and Platinum sales were determined not by how many units were bought at the store but by how many units were shipped. Motowon shipped a million units of Songs, that was something unheard of at the time and it was all part of Berry's hype and sales strategy to assure people that Songs was a classic and that Stevie was a genius, so please let's not rewrite history here. Again, if you think Voodoo isn't groundbreaking, you have every right to believe so. But don't change history.<P>>Ask Me'shell, who within the five years between >D's two, put out three great ones of her own. <P>Better point. This album was deemed as an album of the year and a great piece of work the second it dropped, so I guess you have no problem with critics rushing to judge an album as classic in this case. However, what if Maverick would have "artificailly hyped" and promoted Bitter? You know what would've happened? Maybe Me'shell would get some of the recognition she deserves and maybe the album would be somewhere near approaching Gold status. So r u saying great artists shouldn't have their stuff heavily promoted? That makes no sense to me because that would only further destroy the qualty of black music. I do think that Bitter is a greater piece of work en masse then Voodoo for reasons hard to describe succintly but the fact that it wasn't promoted or the fact that Me'shell put it out in a shorter time period has nothing to do with it.<P>>I didn't mean to imply that the <BR>>artists from a previous generation were <BR>>unscathed. I did, however, state that <BR>>they consistently and regularly gave us <BR>>excellent releases, and it didn't take <BR>>them five years to do so <BR>>(in most cases, around a year). <P>I understand the point you are trying to make but I think you're really generalizing and overstating. Some artists were prolific like Aretha who was turning out album after album but she also was used like a mule by Arif Mardin and company, plus she barely wrote any of the songs she recorded and barely played on any of the music (Although Aretha can play her ass off on the piano and her sister had some of the most beautiful background vocal arrangements in the history of black music). Secondly, back then, especially, when there were separate albums released it wasn't necceessarily a different recording process or anything. These artists would just have some of their recording sessions broken up and put out as albums. So it wasn'tlike they were going back every year and a half and saying let's try something else, these albums were just part of what they were already doing and had ben done. The whole JB catalog is reminiscent of this (probable exceptions of Black Caesar soundtrack and the Big Payback) for the most part before, 70's Stevie and Marvin, albums were just a collection of sides. Artists recorded single after single and that's all record companies cared about they weren't really into albums as a piece of work, expecailly in black music. And a lot fo the the work on some of those albums are just ok not classic at all. Hindsight is something else but a lot of these artists you refer to have so much out that they had plenty of classic cuts but not that many of them put out stellar, solid groundbreaking albums. iT's hard to do that when you're churning out singles. <P> Now for Motown artists with the exception of Stevie and Marvin, who we already know took time to put out their stuff, who else was putting out conssitently great material, irregardless of the time it took?<P>“What are the rewards of those who tend to their God-given talents as they would have the creator tend to their spirits and daily lives? What happens when the artist becomes the conjur man? These are questions that seem to be null and void in the face of all the glitter and glamour that has dominated most successful balck artistry of recent years. We seem to be more preoccupied with cultivating our bank accounts than cultivating our crafts. Nowadays, I find my peers more inspired by an artist's business tactics than their artistry. In fact, we do not seem to mind an artistry that suffers in the face of seemingly good business. More artists yearn to own their own labels, etc. than they seem to yearn to master their crafts. No, we cannot allow any more Bessie Smiths to occur, but once an artist owns their own publishing the question then becomes, what are you going to publish?”<P>The VooDoo Manifesto – Saul Williams

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

Printer-friendly copy

R U tired of defending VooDoo? [View all] , LeroyBumpkin, Sat Jan-29-00 09:48 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
My Thoughts On Defending Voodoo
Quinn
Jan 29th 2000
i had a discussion similar the other night
Jan 29th 2000
god i'm tired...so is he
Jan 29th 2000
      i'm lovin it...
Jan 29th 2000
      errr...
Jan 29th 2000
      that's peace!
Jan 31st 2000
      Non-Believer
Jan 31st 2000
same with jazzy's
Jan 29th 2000
James river, huh ?
Jan 30th 2000
GiveItUp
Snavon
Jan 30th 2000
That Angie Stone Joint
Jan 30th 2000
Reply! in OkayArtist Discussion
Jan 31st 2000
      black Diamond
Jan 31st 2000
           Black Diamond
Jan 31st 2000
Real vs Fake
nakeisha
Jan 30th 2000
TRUE STORY/how i defend
Kash2099
Jan 31st 2000
Oh yeah....you told me that story......EWWWW
Jan 31st 2000
Reply! in OkayArtist Discussion
Jan 31st 2000
Voodoo
valgirl_2000
Jan 31st 2000
i know how it is
novelty
Jan 31st 2000
      At The Risk of Sounding Like a Defector.....
Jan 31st 2000
      Wow...
Jan 31st 2000
      actually the result of the sad state of music is in your coments
Jan 31st 2000
           THANKS for the FACTS QUEST!!!!!
Jan 31st 2000
           I'm not going to get into a fight with you over this. It's only music.
Jan 31st 2000

setting the facts STRAIGHT
Feb 01st 2000
           If you are in the industry...
Feb 01st 2000
           Quest....how you figure nobody cared about Prince?
Feb 01st 2000
                true dat
Feb 01st 2000
                     ha ha..no doubt..I forgot about those black panties
Feb 01st 2000
      Yella's View on &quot;Voodoo&quot;
shortybrown
Feb 05th 2000
My Contribution
iLL
Jan 31st 2000
Whats not to love?
Cherea10
Jan 31st 2000
i R not...
deejaydub
Jan 31st 2000
I stopped listening to the Radio About 5 Years Ago...
Jan 31st 2000
      well dj yella,
Jan 31st 2000
      Hey...plants need love too!
Feb 01st 2000
           okay so i win?
Feb 01st 2000
           What happen?
Feb 01st 2000
           hi, this is Alan Page...
Feb 01st 2000
                My Final Reply on This Subject...and Probably In This Forum.
Feb 02nd 2000
                     Yella's Final Post/Voodoo Drama
Feb 02nd 2000
                     other p.o.v's are definetly needed
Feb 03rd 2000
      oh, dear...
deejaydub
Feb 01st 2000
           Ok Peeps!!
Feb 01st 2000
D's always had Game...been in the Game
masterG
Feb 01st 2000
voodoo, etc.
Feb 02nd 2000
i heard that
masterG
Feb 02nd 2000
Re: To Big Worm
Feb 02nd 2000
Amen BigPerm!
Indygo
Feb 03rd 2000
Voo Doo by D'Angelo
Pookie
Feb 04th 2000
Defend the master? Why should we have to?
Excellent1
Feb 02nd 2000
Just for kicks...
Feb 03rd 2000
You're so right
Indygo
Feb 03rd 2000
D'Angelo New Release
blackbutterflye
Feb 03rd 2000
Aquarius or not...it's huge
abedog
Feb 03rd 2000
I feel you.....
Chelle
Feb 03rd 2000
R U tired of defending VooDoo?
DRKnLVLE1
Feb 07th 2000
Warning Will Robinson! Danger!
Feb 07th 2000

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #27611 Previous topic | Next topic