Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #11743

Subject: "Thanks for clearing it up..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Phil
Charter member
6726 posts
Thu Jun-24-99 03:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Thanks for clearing it up..."
In response to In response to 7

>organix came out before black sunday. and <BR>>that version of "popcorn" was the <BR>>second thing we ever recorded. as <BR>>for the bass. that's just a <BR>>typical latin jawn that most latin <BR>>groups play. muggs sampled a dizzy <BR>>gillespe (sic) record for "lick a <BR>>shot". even though we now know <BR>>it was a cowinkydink, we suspected <BR>>joe nicholo (studio 4/ ex-rufhouse partner/ <BR>>recipient of everlast's wrath at the <BR>>end of "jump around" ("this is <BR>>dedicated to joe "the biter" nicholo....grab <BR>>the bozack!!! punk!!!") was pulling a <BR>>"house of pain" on us. because <BR>>he passed on signing "house..." in <BR>>favor of kriss kross who of <BR>>course had a"jump" song of there <BR>>own. i had even gone as <BR>>far to intern for ruffhouse records <BR>>for 2 years just to get <BR>>a foot in. there were some <BR>>benifits (chris and joe paid for <BR>>the you'll see nann in your <BR>>lifetime video of "pass the popcorn" <BR>>) but they always fronted. i <BR>>thought maybe the goats (who in <BR>>todays climate of hard rock/hip-hop was <BR>>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy ahead of their time) lackluster <BR>>sales discouraed him. but then he <BR>>turned around and signed this trio <BR>>from jersey on our same vibe. <BR>>so i quit. i said i'd <BR>>make him regret it. so when <BR>>"blunted" came out and we outsold <BR>>them 4 to 1 i always <BR>>ribbed him "you should've signed us....at <BR>>least we debuted in the top <BR>>100." he still had faith in <BR>>these motherfuckers.....i was like damn....and then <BR>>"the score" came out. then joe <BR>>was on some "...and you were <BR>>saying??" vibe.............................................................................hey. say whatever. at least <BR>>"things fall apart" outsold "ghetto superstar". <BR>>but to answer your ?uestion. what <BR>>you hear on organix is not <BR>>""samples" they are "lines" (as in <BR>>josh played the same LINE) <BR>><P>Thanks for clearing that up ?uest, I just have one questions, what is the diff between playing a line and a sample?<P>Peace,<BR>Phil<P>"Okayplayer.com, first the Web, next, the World!" - Phil copyright 1999

Printer-friendly copy

Roots Sampling???? [View all] , Phil, Sun Jun-20-99 04:10 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
&quot;?uestlove's been listening to Madhouse 4 a bit too much...&quot;
Jun 20th 1999
bass lines
TBone
Jun 20th 1999
Yes!
Jun 20th 1999
Just brining this up again...
Jun 23rd 1999
not samples...
vrn
Jun 23rd 1999
Well that's what it sounds like to me..
Jun 23rd 1999
for an ex-sample
Jun 24th 1999
looks like another one
angieee
Jun 24th 1999
HAHAHA
Jun 24th 1999
I'll bid as much as I can.....
Krutch
Jun 25th 1999
more ex-samples
vrn
Jun 24th 1999
      Got ya this time...
Jun 24th 1999
damn....
Jun 24th 1999
On To Jihad I Pass To Popcorn
Jihad
Jun 25th 1999
travelling in time
Mar 26th 2002

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #11743 Previous topic | Next topic