Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRoots Sampling????
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=11743
11743, Roots Sampling????
Posted by Phil, Sun Jun-20-99 04:10 PM
First off let me just say that although this is another seemingly endless "ever notice" posts of mine, i'm not fixated on finding out obscure facts about the Roots, it's something that I just noticed a long time ago and brought up here a long time ago but never got a response. Now...on to my post.<P>I know the Roots rarely sample and when they do, it's of themselves. But there is an unmistakeable sample on Organix, and no, i'm not talking about "Common Dust". After Listening to Popcorn Revisited for the first time, the bassline hit me. "I've heard this before". It took me a while but I finally figured it out. The Bassline is identical (or as identical as you can get and it not being the same) to the bassline on Lick A Shot from Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday" album.<P>Now here is my Question(s). I know that Black Sunday and Organix were released around the same time, somewhere back in 93 I believe so it might be coincidence or it might not, who knows, they might have bit The Roots. I was just wondering if the crew did this consciously. If it was a conscious effort, why did they pick that particular song? If it wasn't on purpose, have you ever noticed the similarities? <P>Curious to what you people think about this...<P>Respond/React<BR>Phil<P>"Ever since God created women, the devil has been out of work" - My Grandma
11744, "?uestlove's been listening to Madhouse 4 a bit too much..."
Posted by BrainChild, Sun Jun-20-99 04:24 PM
those were the first words out of my mouth when I heard "What Goes On Pt. 7" for the first time...<P>hey ?uest... admit it. <P>you bought both Madhouse albums and stared at the girl on the cover for hours<P>i'll be the first to admit I did...<P>--me--<BR>wondering if he shared too much information...
11745, bass lines
Posted by guest, Sun Jun-20-99 04:38 PM
inspector gadget bassline is on organix
11746, Yes!
Posted by Phil, Sun Jun-20-99 05:07 PM
I love that part of the song....that breakdown is pure Genius!!!<P>Phil<P>"Ever since God created women, the devil has been out of work" - My Grandma
11747, Just brining this up again...
Posted by Phil, Wed Jun-23-99 03:33 AM
Since there was some talk about sampling recently, I thought I'd bring this post back up to the top because I didn't get much feedback. <P>Peace,<BR>Phil<P>"Ever since God created women, the devil has been out of work" - My Grandma
11748, not samples...
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-23-99 01:28 PM
just to clarify... the Cypress thing (which i've never noticed, i'll have to dig out black sunday again) and the inspector gadget are not samples, they're just re-playing the bassline or whatever. sampling would be if they actually looped up the cypress bassline.<P>latr.andrew
11749, Well that's what it sounds like to me..
Posted by Phil, Wed Jun-23-99 06:09 PM
>just to clarify... the Cypress thing (which <BR>>i've never noticed, i'll have to <BR>>dig out black sunday again) and <BR>>the inspector gadget are not samples, <BR>>they're just re-playing the bassline or <BR>>whatever. sampling would be if they <BR>>actually looped up the cypress bassline. <P>Well, I guess you'll see what i'm talking about once you listen to the CH song again, looping the bassline is what it sounds like to me, therefore it's a sample or it's not. (according to my statements in my main post)<P>Peace,<BR>Phil<P>"Okayplayer.com, first the Web, next, the World!" - Phil copyright 1999
11750, for an ex-sample
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Jun-24-99 02:44 AM
organix came out before black sunday. and that version of "popcorn" was the second thing we ever recorded. as for the bass. that's just a typical latin jawn that most latin groups play. muggs sampled a dizzy gillespe (sic) record for "lick a shot". even though we now know it was a cowinkydink, we suspected joe nicholo (studio 4/ ex-rufhouse partner/ recipient of everlast's wrath at the end of "jump around" ("this is dedicated to joe "the biter" nicholo....grab the bozack!!! punk!!!") was pulling a "house of pain" on us. because he passed on signing "house..." in favor of kriss kross who of course had a"jump" song of there own. i had even gone as far to intern for ruffhouse records for 2 years just to get a foot in. there were some benifits (chris and joe paid for the you'll see nann in your lifetime video of "pass the popcorn" ) but they always fronted. i thought maybe the goats (who in todays climate of hard rock/hip-hop was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy ahead of their time) lackluster sales discouraed him. but then he turned around and signed this trio from jersey on our same vibe. so i quit. i said i'd make him regret it. so when "blunted" came out and we outsold them 4 to 1 i always ribbed him "you should've signed us....at least we debuted in the top 100." he still had faith in these motherfuckers.....i was like damn....and then "the score" came out. then joe was on some "...and you were saying??" vibe.............................................................................hey. say whatever. at least "things fall apart" outsold "ghetto superstar". but to answer your ?uestion. what you hear on organix is not ""samples" they are "lines" (as in josh played the same LINE)<P><P><P><P><BR>"god made me the lucky recipient of madhouse 24....how bout you?"
11751, looks like another one
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-24-99 02:54 AM
>(chris and joe paid for <BR>>the you'll see nann in your <BR>>lifetime video of "pass the popcorn" <BR>>) <P>I have a copy. ?uest gave it to me right after it came out. We watched it at his mommie and daddie's house. <P>is coming around!!!<P>I finally found your kryptonite!!! (did I spell that right?) I have this video!!!<P>It has the square root symbol and "Pass the Popcorm" written on it in red ink. Everyone is throwing popcorn at the camera and *gasp* everyone in the crew pulls their pants down!!!<P>Oh goodness, no more work for me today...I have to go look for this tape! <P>EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY.<P>angieee (you will never post about a bad date with me and get away with it, sucka)<P>(i really really love you ?uest, but you started!!!!)
11752, HAHAHA
Posted by Phil, Thu Jun-24-99 03:37 AM
I knew you'd hit back Ang....definately gotta see that one.<P>Phil<P>"Okayplayer.com, first the Web, next, the World!" - Phil copyright 1999
11753, I'll bid as much as I can.....
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-25-99 06:44 AM
(((krutch)))(((1999)))
11754, Thanks for clearing it up...
Posted by Phil, Thu Jun-24-99 03:33 AM
>organix came out before black sunday. and <BR>>that version of "popcorn" was the <BR>>second thing we ever recorded. as <BR>>for the bass. that's just a <BR>>typical latin jawn that most latin <BR>>groups play. muggs sampled a dizzy <BR>>gillespe (sic) record for "lick a <BR>>shot". even though we now know <BR>>it was a cowinkydink, we suspected <BR>>joe nicholo (studio 4/ ex-rufhouse partner/ <BR>>recipient of everlast's wrath at the <BR>>end of "jump around" ("this is <BR>>dedicated to joe "the biter" nicholo....grab <BR>>the bozack!!! punk!!!") was pulling a <BR>>"house of pain" on us. because <BR>>he passed on signing "house..." in <BR>>favor of kriss kross who of <BR>>course had a"jump" song of there <BR>>own. i had even gone as <BR>>far to intern for ruffhouse records <BR>>for 2 years just to get <BR>>a foot in. there were some <BR>>benifits (chris and joe paid for <BR>>the you'll see nann in your <BR>>lifetime video of "pass the popcorn" <BR>>) but they always fronted. i <BR>>thought maybe the goats (who in <BR>>todays climate of hard rock/hip-hop was <BR>>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy ahead of their time) lackluster <BR>>sales discouraed him. but then he <BR>>turned around and signed this trio <BR>>from jersey on our same vibe. <BR>>so i quit. i said i'd <BR>>make him regret it. so when <BR>>"blunted" came out and we outsold <BR>>them 4 to 1 i always <BR>>ribbed him "you should've signed us....at <BR>>least we debuted in the top <BR>>100." he still had faith in <BR>>these motherfuckers.....i was like damn....and then <BR>>"the score" came out. then joe <BR>>was on some "...and you were <BR>>saying??" vibe.............................................................................hey. say whatever. at least <BR>>"things fall apart" outsold "ghetto superstar". <BR>>but to answer your ?uestion. what <BR>>you hear on organix is not <BR>>""samples" they are "lines" (as in <BR>>josh played the same LINE) <BR>><P>Thanks for clearing that up ?uest, I just have one questions, what is the diff between playing a line and a sample?<P>Peace,<BR>Phil<P>"Okayplayer.com, first the Web, next, the World!" - Phil copyright 1999
11755, more ex-samples
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-24-99 10:11 AM
>Thanks for clearing that up ?uest, I just have >one questions, what is the diff between playing >a line and a sample?<P>i thought i explained this in my post, but here goes again...<BR>a sample would involve actually dropping the original recording into a sampler. ex-sample: when timbland & magoo or busta rhymes or whoever else did the knight rider theme. that was a sample, because it was a loop of the ORIGINAL RECORDING. it was loaded into a sp12, or whatever, and looped. the majority of regular hip hop consists of samples from somewhere or another... though, often the samples are, as ?uest said in the critical beatdown discussion, 'primo-ized', or cut up and not as obvious as the knight rider example.<BR>'playing a line', which is what the roots usually do, because they have live insturments. like with hip hop 101 or if they were to do the Knight Rider theme (which I hope they wouldn't cuz it's sooo played out now) they would actually play the music on their bass and drums and whatnot, like re-making or covering that particular bit of the song.<P>did I explain it correctly? i hope so..<P>oh, and that brings me to another ?uestion for qoolquest... talking about samplers and whatnot, was that you doing the end of 'you got me'? or did y'all chop it up or something? i'm hoping it was you, because that'd be sooo dope. do you guys even use samplers in the studio?<P>later,<BR>mlt
11756, Got ya this time...
Posted by Phil, Thu Jun-24-99 03:46 PM
This time you were more clear and now I know what you meant in your other post. Personally I think playing a line and sampling is one in the same because you aren't creating original material. Sure there is a difference between playing it on the bass and having the original in the background, but in the end aren't you just borrowing from someone elses work you respect? I think that we should change the term to borrow. All those in favor say Aye!<P>Peace,<BR>Phil<P>"Okayplayer.com, first the Web, next, the World!" - Phil copyright 1999
11757, damn....
Posted by nocturnalicious, Thu Jun-24-99 02:23 PM
damn quest... are u bitter... or just venting.... didnt know u had such animosity towards the fugees... kinda ironic since yawls gonna be performin wit l_boogie for a few dates... i guess no beef with her huh...<P><a href="http://members.xoom.com/blkfoks">http://members.xoom.com/blkfoks<;/a><BR>blackfokapparel-detroit
11758, On To Jihad I Pass To Popcorn
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-25-99 07:09 AM
Angieee you can get my cable modem for that tape.
11759, travelling in time
Posted by spirit, Tue Mar-26-02 03:24 PM
I have made myself travel back to 1999.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

If you really loved me, you'd check out http://www.mp3.com/spirit_equality

The love is showing. Apparently, I'm Number 3 on some list at mp3.com (check it --> http://golocal.mp3.com/gir?genre_id=0007&geo_id=10032362
Thanks, folks. Keep downloading away until I get an actual CD you can buy.

If you believe in avant garde music with soul, peep out http://www.miscflux.com

2002: The Underground Strikes Back