Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThanks for clearing it up...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=11743&mesg_id=11754
11754, Thanks for clearing it up...
Posted by Phil, Thu Jun-24-99 03:33 AM
>organix came out before black sunday. and <BR>>that version of "popcorn" was the <BR>>second thing we ever recorded. as <BR>>for the bass. that's just a <BR>>typical latin jawn that most latin <BR>>groups play. muggs sampled a dizzy <BR>>gillespe (sic) record for "lick a <BR>>shot". even though we now know <BR>>it was a cowinkydink, we suspected <BR>>joe nicholo (studio 4/ ex-rufhouse partner/ <BR>>recipient of everlast's wrath at the <BR>>end of "jump around" ("this is <BR>>dedicated to joe "the biter" nicholo....grab <BR>>the bozack!!! punk!!!") was pulling a <BR>>"house of pain" on us. because <BR>>he passed on signing "house..." in <BR>>favor of kriss kross who of <BR>>course had a"jump" song of there <BR>>own. i had even gone as <BR>>far to intern for ruffhouse records <BR>>for 2 years just to get <BR>>a foot in. there were some <BR>>benifits (chris and joe paid for <BR>>the you'll see nann in your <BR>>lifetime video of "pass the popcorn" <BR>>) but they always fronted. i <BR>>thought maybe the goats (who in <BR>>todays climate of hard rock/hip-hop was <BR>>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy ahead of their time) lackluster <BR>>sales discouraed him. but then he <BR>>turned around and signed this trio <BR>>from jersey on our same vibe. <BR>>so i quit. i said i'd <BR>>make him regret it. so when <BR>>"blunted" came out and we outsold <BR>>them 4 to 1 i always <BR>>ribbed him "you should've signed us....at <BR>>least we debuted in the top <BR>>100." he still had faith in <BR>>these motherfuckers.....i was like damn....and then <BR>>"the score" came out. then joe <BR>>was on some "...and you were <BR>>saying??" vibe.............................................................................hey. say whatever. at least <BR>>"things fall apart" outsold "ghetto superstar". <BR>>but to answer your ?uestion. what <BR>>you hear on organix is not <BR>>""samples" they are "lines" (as in <BR>>josh played the same LINE) <BR>><P>Thanks for clearing that up ?uest, I just have one questions, what is the diff between playing a line and a sample?<P>Peace,<BR>Phil<P>"Okayplayer.com, first the Web, next, the World!" - Phil copyright 1999